Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag 1.10 Official support thread

Replies

• monkeyscience
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyscience polycounter lvl 12
    Are your vert. normals all pointing in the same direction?

@monkeyscience,

I was doing some re-normalisation tests and came across this odd Y shaped artifacts on the top right of each sphere.

The mesh is a flat plane with the Sunlight Sky lighting preset.

Re-normalisation_Marmoset.jpg

Any ideas?

That is your video card not filtering individual cubemap faces across the cube's corners or edges. Apparently all drivers have this problem because of how much simpler it is to implement. Since Toolbag uses precomputed cubemaps for environment lighting, you may see some hard, "Y-shaped" edges when rendering perfectly smooth gray spheres. Luckily texture and shape detail is going to hide it fairly well.

Btw, the artifact being dark on one side and light on the other is an optical illusion o_O. Jeff and I stared at it for hours last night and decided it was due to UV clamping at cube edges.

tl;dr: Driver bug, kind of lame but we can't fix it :-/
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    That is your video card not filtering individual cubemap faces across the cube's corners or edges. Apparently all drivers have this problem because of how much simpler it is to implement. Since Toolbag uses precomputed cubemaps for environment lighting, you may see some hard, "Y-shaped" edges when rendering perfectly smooth gray spheres. Luckily texture and shape detail is going to hide it fairly well.

Btw, the artifact being dark on one side and light on the other is an optical illusion o_O. Jeff and I stared at it for hours last night and decided it was due to UV clamping at cube edges.

tl;dr: Driver bug, kind of lame but we can't fix it :-/

Ahh ok. Thanks for trying :)
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    Hi, all. I'm having trouble with my renders. Still-image renders from Marmoset look like what's on the left, when they should look like what's on the right (a prtscrn screenshot). Checking the HDR (Linear Color) box fixes the problem, but then the renders do not come with an alpha mask.

Help?
  • fattkid
    Offline / Send Message
    fattkid polycounter lvl 15
    Are there any plans to implement using textures for gloss maps or reflection masks? Or is that in there somewhere already and I missed it?

I spent an evening playing with the demo, and I really dig it. Not appearing to have the option of the above mentioned maps to really dial in my texture/model is the only thing really keeping me from dropping the cash for a copy.

Either way, it's a great tool. I look forward to what you guys do next. Thanks.
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    I dont have it on this computer but I believe there is a gloss map supported and you just need to nest it in the alpha channel of your specular map.
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    fattkid wrote: »
    Are there any plans to implement using textures for gloss maps or reflection masks? Or is that in there somewhere already and I missed it?

I spent an evening playing with the demo, and I really dig it. Not appearing to have the option of the above mentioned maps to really dial in my texture/model is the only thing really keeping me from dropping the cash for a copy.

Either way, it's a great tool. I look forward to what you guys do next. Thanks.
    Yea, disanski is correct.
    Gloss is held in the alpha of the specular, parallax displacement is held in the alpha of the normal and transparency is held in the alpha of the diffuse. :)
  • fattkid
    Offline / Send Message
    ah, thanks guys. how about a reflection map mask?
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Guys, didn't i hear something about a fantastic 1.04 "comming out last week" hu?! ;)

What's your tohughts on a decal system? That would be frekking amazing to have. Even if that means putting out the decals in maya and naming them "*_decal" or something like that. Would be really cool!

I've said it before, well over mail, would be great to have the possibility to have an own channel for the gloss. Or even colored gloss?

Keep it up guys! :D
  • morte
    hey everyone, ive looked through this thread, but didnt find anyhing similar...
    Basicly i ve got two chunks here, hair and head, head has skinEnviroment material applied to it, hairs got their own, with use Alpha Testing and Use Alpha-To-Coverage enabled. When I am raising Alpha threshold to more than 0.1 i get those nasty dotty shadow artifacts.Anyone had similar problem?
    alphathreshold.jpg
  • MegaLeon
    Hello people. I tried visualizing my first model today, but there's definitely something wrong. I suppose it's something about normals. Can anyone push me in the right direction on how to fix it?
    Many thanks.

senzaolo2k.th.jpg
  • rahul_shrimali
    Offline / Send Message
    rahul_shrimali polycounter lvl 15
    Hi

Getting problem New Toolbag

clipboard02il.jpg

• AlexLegg
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexLegg polycounter lvl 14
    I'm trying to get get vertex colours to work in Toolbag, but I'm not sure if they are even supported?!!

I have imported my mesh as a FBX file (as I believe that does support vertex colour), but I can't see them off the bat, and have played with the options, but can't see anything that would work.

So does Toolbag support vertex colours? and If so how do I get them to show?

Have I perhaps missed something in the FBX export dialogue? (I'm using 3DS Max BTW).
  • AlexLegg
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, I've just tried to use a reflection mask, but can't figure out where to put it!

Does Toolbag make use of reflection masks?

If not, how do I set up reflections? (is it something to do with the sky tool/cube maps?)

Thanks
  • Yury
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Hi, everyone! I have a problem with toolbag. I have a transparent material for the windows in my helicopter model. I'm using alpha channel for the transparency. Everything is working fine, but when I rotate camera for the certain amount windows become opaque. Can't create turntable for the model because it's create a very nasty jump between transparent and opaque for the windows. Does somebody know how to fix it?

screen1ib.jpg
    screen1ib.jpg

screen2oa.jpg

screen2oa.jpg
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    any news on that 1.04 release and the tutorial on creating skyboxes? :)
  • Autarkis
    Offline / Send Message
    Autarkis polycounter lvl 8
    It looks like they're updating their website, so hopefully soon :)
  • Autarkis
    Offline / Send Message
    Just digging through the redesigned website,
    http://www.8monkeylabs.com/toolbag/learn/skytool

skytool tutorial is open. Hopefully I'll make some skys finally work!
  • KonginChains
    Offline / Send Message
    KonginChains polycounter lvl 12
    i seem to have a problem with marmoset with saving materials. when pressing the save mesh and materials button, and save mat as button, doesn't bring any window up to select which location in my drive i can save the mat to. remove mat and clear mat list when pressed does nothing. Clicking the open mat tab does allow me to access a window where i can locate mat files, but i don't know where they are located in the marmoset program files folder(i really don't think it had any). So in other words, i can't save my materials and as a result have to set them up over and over again when i open my scene up. Would it be because i am only using the trial version of v.1.03?
  • Jason Young
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Kong, what happens when you press the New Mat... button? That should allow you to create a new material and determine where on your drive it is saved. Also, you can't do a save mat as... on the default materials, so you'll have to create a new one.
  • Froyok
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    So.. do we re-download the new app (1.04) from the site using the same fingerprint as last time? Do we need to un-install the previous versions - or does the new software take care of that?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Just download the app, install in the same folder, and that's all !
    The 1.04 support automatically the transfer of the license. :)

In my case I don't have uninstalled the previous version.
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
  • fattkid
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexLegg wrote: »
    Also, I've just tried to use a reflection mask, but can't figure out where to put it!

Does Toolbag make use of reflection masks?

If not, how do I set up reflections? (is it something to do with the sky tool/cube maps?)

Thanks

Me too! Is there a way or are there plans for reflection masks/maps?
  • Autarkis
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 for reflection masks.

Thanks 8ml for the new turntable capture, it seems to be a lot smoother than before and with the ability to add background images, I guess I don't need a tga turntable export. Great job on 1.04!
  • KonginChains
    Offline / Send Message
    @Autarkis: so there's the option of add a reflection map now?
  • EarthQuake
    Marmoset lighting = image based lighting, from cubemaps. Specular = reflection. Create some new skys if you want different reflection.

Spec sharpness = cubemap resolution.

I think the highest resolution(full res) cubemaps got disabled at some point in production on DoD, maybe that can be added back in. This is probabbly what most people want when they talk about reflections, just sharper reflections.

But you're not going to see a "reflection" slot, as its already happening.

The reflection "mask" is just your specular, and gloss textures. One controls sharpness, the other intensity.
  • AlexLegg
    Offline / Send Message
    @Autarkis: so there's the option of add a reflection map now?

Nope. Just that you can have a 2D background image behind your model. nothing to do with reflections.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    just played around with the new marmoset a bit. nice startup time and i really like some of the new light settings.

issues: the app tried to install it's configuration files into C:\Documents and Settings\user\Documents\toolbag

on my XP64 (english), that directory structure doesn't exist by default, rather it's called C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents

i also seem to have a problem with the new DOF settings. auto focus doesn't work on my scenes anymore - it just doesn't lock onto anything at all. the value ranges you can set with the sliders seem to have changed alot as well.
    lastly, there's horizontal streaking visible in the blurred out areas compared to the old version.
    will do some comparison shots tomorrow.
  • KonginChains
    Offline / Send Message
    i have some few issues here,

1) in the first image, the hair transparency map is working with alpha to coverage turned on. however, i'm getting a halo around it where an outline shows through and is clearer seen when the transparent smaller planes are on top of the main hair surface. Just to prove it is not a problem with my map and alpha mask, i showed a screenshot of the same hair model and its transparency is working correctly in maya. So how do i get rid of the nasty outline? Would it be because of my graphic card?

2) i would like to paint an anistropic direction map for the hair to go circular as i pointed in the image. i tried what i could to paint with my understanding that red goes horizontal, green goes vertical in the map, but the direction is still off since i don't know what the values should be for SE and SW? Please help me here.

- apart from this, the material editor i still have problems with ease of use. Creating a new material and saving it off, saves the material setup and the textures loaded, however when i save the scene even with save mesh and materials clicked prior, when i reopen it, i lose the material, and have to keep loading it over again and applying it to my numerous model chunks.

- i also did not see any particle editor that came with my 1.03 download?

- how does my nvidia geforce GT 330M graphic card fair comparatively with the recommend quadro FX graphic cards? Will i encounter other quality loss in comparison i should be noted of?

Thanks..
  • jeffdr
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffdr polycounter lvl 11
    thomasp wrote: »
    on my XP64 (english), that directory structure doesn't exist by default, rather it's called C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents

Wow, really? Maybe we got this wrong. I'll make a note to check this for future releases. Did the files successfully create, or is toolbag unable to write its config files?
    thomasp wrote: »
    i also seem to have a problem with the new DOF settings.

The new DOF effect is more taxing on the hardware, and trips up some older drivers. We found some machines here in the office which didn't work with the new DOF (just like you describe) until we performed a driver update.
    2) i would like to paint an anistropic direction map for the hair to go circular as i pointed in the image. i tried what i could to paint with my understanding that red goes horizontal, green goes vertical in the map, but the direction is still off since i don't know what the values should be for SE and SW? Please help me here.

You have the idea right, it's just hard to visualize and to paint by hand. What you want is a circular gradient, and you may have some success creating one in photoshop or something to use as a reference.

As for saving materials, if you want to save their mapping to your mesh, save the mesh as well, not just the materials or scene. Try the "save mesh and materials" button.

The particle editor was removed some time back, I can't remember now which version. We haven't had the manpower to maintain it, and we didn't think anyone was using it anyway. If people miss it, it could be resurrected fairly easily for future versions...

Lastly, your GeForce 330M should do just fine. It's a mobile chip so it's not going to be super hot performance wise but it's a fully featured D3D10 device and you should be able to get every feature at full quality, except for tessellation/displacement, which requires a D3D11 device. I don't know that I'd recommend anybody buy a Quadro card, toolbag is designed to run with full features on basic consumer hardware.
  • KonginChains
    Offline / Send Message
    the problem with painting the anistro direction map is red and green values are easy and clear, but the values in the middle of this would be light brown would maybe either go on a southeast or southwest direction, the problem is figuring out what set of values or color is for the other side?
  • jeffdr
    Offline / Send Message
    the problem is figuring out what set of values or color is for the other side?

Here, I've prepared a little illustration for what colors to use for what direction of anisotropy. This chart should cover it.

The best way to think about it is to treat the red and green independently. That is, think of them as horizontal and vertical dimensions of the direction vector rather than trying to think in terms of color (which is very difficult to do).

6A0zu.png
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    jeffdr wrote: »
    Wow, really? Maybe we got this wrong. I'll make a note to check this for future releases. Did the files successfully create, or is toolbag unable to write its config files?

exactly that - toolbag failed to write it's config file. i placed a symbolic link to where i keep my config files now.

for the DOF problem i will update my graphics driver and report back if issues remain. genereally speaking is the GF 9800GT still good to go though?
  • Jason Young
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a 9800Gt and didn't notice any issues with the new DOF. It seemed to work better than the last version on my system.
  • KonginChains
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks jeffdr , i will try that color wheel out

as for my hair transparency problem, i still do not know how to fix it. it seems like it shouldn't be a problem since i saw a screenshot the marketing image of marmoset with the girl's eyelashes, and it displays correctly. i have more of a problem when transparent mapped objects are shown overlapping or ontop of surfaces like what i have in the image shown attached. otherwise, the transparency looks decent enough when it doesn't overlap with other objects.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Can you post the Alpha's? You they should complete hard black white, and not have any blurring or grey gradients.
  • KonginChains
    Offline / Send Message
    nevermind, i figured it out. all i did was paste the color of the hair as the background instead of white, and saved that with the alpha and that got rid of the noticeable harsh outline. however, i'm still having issues with the material editor not saving the materials and having it load up properly in effect with all objects in my scene. whenever i load my scene, some objects retain the shader i have given it, some default to the default.mat shader. My setup was, create new mat, apply textures, delete default.mat, save the mat, click the save mesh and materials option. and then just in case, i clicked save mesh again in the file menu, and lastly, saved the entire scene. But still when i load it up, some objects still go back to the default.mat shader that's always preloaded in every scene.

if i would request for any more future releases is an undo button and a hide or delete mesh button would be great. the ability to exclusively light objects without affecting others would be nice too , thanks.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Are you switching folders or workstations? It loses Mats for me when I do that, but if I keep everything in one folder without subpacking, it should load correctly.
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Can you post the Alpha's? You they should complete hard black white, and not have any blurring or grey gradients.

Alphas can have grey values. You use grey for semi transparent objects of fades into/out of transparency, which can actually look much better than a hard black/white if its done at the tips of hair etc. :)
  • KonginChains
    Offline / Send Message
    @ ace angel - nope i'm not switching machines or file folders. It looks like a problem with the material ordering in marmoset, simply some objects pick up , some dont.

Apart from this, hopefully 8monkeylabs would add in their next releases the feature to be able to delete chunks in the object list, and be able to import new objects as chunks instead of having to start a whole new scene again.
  • EarthQuake
    I know with previous versions, only relative paths were saved, ie: your content needed to be within your toolbag install directory. Not sure if that is still the case, but it would cause your problems if it is.
  • Jason Young
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like alpha to coverage doesn't work with screenshots anymore? 1.03 it worked perfectly, now it's not showing up at all(objects that have alpha to coverage are screenshot solid).

Anyone else have this issue? I'll try downloading latest drivers and seeing if that fixes it.

*edit* Latest drivers for 9800gt fix it. :)

*edit again* Actually, it breaks when you turn DOF off. When DOF is on, it screenshots fine.
  • KonginChains
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I know with previous versions, only relative paths were saved, ie: your content needed to be within your toolbag install directory. Not sure if that is still the case, but it would cause your problems if it is.

You mean under the C:\Program Files (x86)\MarmosetToolbag folder i save my .obj files and its textures? Or will anywhere under program files folder be fine?

I just found another bug, it seems if i am dealing with multiple chunks all with different material, and then whenever i save the scene or press the save mesh and materials button, and then minimize the marmoset toolbag window, and then restore it back, my camera jumps back and changes angle, and all of a sudden some of my objects in the scene default to the default.mat instead of the material i had applied to them, and i always have to load those materials and reapply it afterwards.
  • EarthQuake
    In the marmoset folder, all of your content should be under that folder structure(unless the relative path thing has changed recently).

Also, if you're loading you OBJ again, that would be a problem too. You need to load the .mesh file that toolbag saves.
  • KonginChains
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, even if .mesh is loaded and all textures, mats and objects are inside the marmoset directory, i still get the issue of missing .mats and incorrectly applied .mats whenever the scene is loaded.

my project directory is marmoset toolbag/projects/name of project folder/all objects .mat and textures placed here
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    The toolbag is sell out at -20% for the next 3 days ! :o
  • jeffdr
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok wrote: »
    :o

Get em while they're hot
  • FaridSalah
    HI love the software and just new 2 it.

But I am having a small prob and been reading on the posts here and still no solution,

So my prob is that when i try to import my models into the marmoset toobag everyting is ok except of the back of 1 of the models (see pic 1) i did import all the objects as 1 obj and even tried it alone. Now when I select the Object space normals in the materials screen the whole model does shade normal but without shadows and AO (see pic 2). I know its somthing i did in max or maybe somthing i did during importing/exporting.

Any help would be appreitiated very much.

Pic 1
    pic1ihp.jpg

Pic 2
    http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/7857/pic2rr.jpg

And sorry for my bad english