Home General Discussion

The Man of Steel, Zack Snyder's superman film

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
First picture just got released.

See it here

Why else is excited?

Zack Snyder's shaping up to be one of my favorite directors, and with Chris Nolan's involvement I'm sold.

Replies

• Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    I know Nolan's not really actively doing anything on it now, but he had worked on the story initially and I'm sure they didn't just throw that out completely.
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I like the design of the suit, the cape coming out looks nice, and it also looks like the red undies may be gone. But I'm not so sure about the scales.

And I hope they aren't going the dark and edgy route. Superman doesn't need to be dark and edgy.
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    i like that the S is nice and big. That's just not the face I think of when I think of Superman. I still think that Alex Ross' Supes is the best and wish they would get someone in that vein

alex-ross-superman.jpg

And out of all characters that don't need an "edgy" makeover, Superman is at the top of that list. That doesn't mean you can't have edginess, or modern sensibilities, but the character himself shouldn't be like that. I always thought that the story "What's so funny about Truth Justice and the American Way?" is miles away the BEST Superman story ever, and would make a fantastic movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What's_So_Funny_About_Truth,_Justice_%26_the_American_Way%3F

Marvel's Captain America movie showed how you can have a character that is the ultimate boy scout, good guy, whatever, and still make a great movie without the character coming off as lame or preachy. Just hope that they keep that in mind here.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah they never seem to cast someone that looks like Superman... and that CG vault looks very fake too. Not a fan of the scaly suit either, isn't it supposed to be made from a quilt that was in his pod or something? I guess they are going for the harder wearing look so it doesnt rip too much in action. Looking forward to a trailer. I would love a two-part Doomsday movie, with Supes dying at the end of the first one.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    The flaw of superman is that he is so completely unrelateable.

Batman was orphaned as a child, his primary character motivation is revenge.
    Spiderman was orphaned as a child, and was directly responsible for the death of his uncle. He is driven by guilt.
    Wolverine hates everyone. Has no idea who he is, where he came from.
    Rorschach is an insane existentialist

Superman? Well, he's just good. Which is completely boring. Especially where depth in character development comes from some kind of inner change. IN Superman stories, the world tends to undergo that change, therefore nobody feels a strong connection with the character.

The best Superman stories completely deconstruct him and build him into something else.

- 'Red Son'
    - 'Kingdom Come'
    - 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow',

And the other issue with Superman, is that we don't need an introduction to who he is. EVERYONE on this planet knows exactly who he is, and how he got here. Focus on an actual story arc, not his origin, or who lois lane is, or how he discovered his powers.

And please not another crappy movie with Lex Luthor.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    So for all the commotion Hollywood and their stars stirred about stale sales of their sodding revenues, they're not only taking a little too many hints of robot designs from games, but also, the entire scale/nano-suit design for their heroes.

Honestly, first Spiderman, then Thor, now Superman, who's next? Batman?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    to me looks more like a variation on the way the Returns suit was covered in tiny S's to visually break up the material, just on a larger scale. What bugs me though is that the S shield looks like it's made of Playdough, I know it needs to be a softer material in order to work at that scale (over top of muscle I mean) but the last one just looked so much cooler.

as far as the whole Darker Look, at least in this scene where he's stopping a bank robbery
    I thinks it's more of a "where do you think you're going?" moment as opposed to a "here, let me get the door for you ma'am"

oh and Jaque, Supe's is an orphan too, so's ya know.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    hrm, that image looks kinda blah.... Whats with the untextured door? The new suit is interesting, almost like people realized after Thor that lots of noisy details on shiny clothing look cool in HD... or the people who did the new spiderman suit also did this one, or are friends with the people who made the spiderman suit.

I hope its not another origin story. Super hero movies need to take a note from James Bond... the things we love don't need to be re-explained to us every time a new actor is introduced.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, lets us stop with the origins fad for once and all, if the movie had a origins episode or anything like that within the past 10-15 years, I'm pretty sure just giving us flashbacks will be enough.

All those that complain about 'lack of motivation' in the movie if we don't spend 30 minutes explaining said origin can go and choke about how King Kong was a spoiler movie.
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I like Superman. In the movie from the 80s he's somewhat bullied in high school and he seems pretty insecure as Clark Kent even later on during his Daily Planet period. Maybe the latter is just an act but I don't think he's any more boring than Bruce Wayne is as Batman, they both fight crime because they simply don't like it. Superman is a nice sympathising guy, of course I can relate to him. Badasses who fight and kill just for the sake of it(or some lame excuse like revenge, freedom or justice) on the other hand, no.

Finally a Superman movie with a villain who's a kryptonian. I'm getting pretty tired of Lex Luthor. Kneel before Zod!
  • DeeKei
    Well, Superman is suppose to portray the proper, archetypical superhero, since he was the first one.

anyways, i will wait this was bated breath, but superman has this terrible curse of making crappy movies.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    do not want. If you go watch sucker punch and when you see someone put superman in there, and you'll see what you are going to get.
  • DeeKei
    do not want. If you go watch sucker punch and when you see someone put superman in there, and you'll see what you are going to get.

But what if you watch 300 and put superman there?

THIS. IS. SMALLVILLE!!
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Superman? Well, he's just good. Which is completely boring. Especially where depth in character development comes from some kind of inner change. IN Superman stories, the world tends to undergo that change, therefore nobody feels a strong connection with the character.

You haven't read much have you? Look up All Star Superman. You can have a good guy character and still have great stories without all the angst. Hell, by your logic RoboAtomic should be boring. But its not.

Anyhow, I wonder if Lex is missing partly because the ongoing legal battle with Simon & Schuster?

The real Lex, the business tycoon, would be a great adversary..... I still want to see Brainiac though.
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    the first thing i thought was the door looked absolutely horrible and ridiculously CG.
    i didn't even look at superman.

gotta agree about the face. not gonna bother looking up who the actor is, but right off the bat he reminded me of Diedrich Bader from the Drew Carey Show.
  • Mrskullface
    I hope this reboot is better than the last reboot where he fought a big ol rock!
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope this reboot is better than the last reboot where he fought a big ol rock!

That wasn't a reboot, that was a continuation of the christopher reeves movies. And for that, it was pretty good. Sadly, no one but the director actually wanted a continuation of those old movies..

And I don't care if Lex could be done well as a villain, movie-makers have had enough tries with him. I'm done and bored. I want to see Metallo or Darkseid or some other villain the general population might not be too familiar with.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    His suit looks like it's made of carbon fibre. I guess it stops it from getting full of holes when he's deflecting bullets with his pectorals of steel.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    yes this shot looks like him..

diedrich-bader_480x360.jpg
    Firebert wrote: »
    gotta agree about the face. not gonna bother looking up who the actor is, but right off the bat he reminded me of Diedrich Bader from the Drew Carey Show.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    I just took another look in the picture and...is the background CG?
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    How many times are they going to reboot the same franchises.

Though if they did I suppose we wouldn't have this masterpeice.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMD2TwRvuoU[/ame]
  • DeeKei
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I just took another look in the picture and...is the background CG?

sure looks like it or else the propmakers did a real crappy job on making the iron bars look like it experienced a massive explosion.
  • vofff
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    LRoy wrote: »
    How many times are they going to reboot the same franchises.

Its money!
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    oXYnary wrote: »
    You haven't read much have you? Look up All Star Superman. You can have a good guy character and still have great stories without all the angst. Hell, by your logic RoboAtomic should be boring.

I didn't say 'boring'. I said just completely lacking any depth. Like most Tim Burton movies (with the exception of Big Fish).

Depth and believability is the difference between Christopher Nolan's Batman, and Joel Schumacher's.

All Star Superman?
    The one where he has 1 year to live?

That's a pretty drastic character change dontcha think?

Synopsis of EVERY superman movie to date:

Some monster, or thing, or person is killing lots of people without motivation, other than they are simply 'evil'. Superman saves the day.

WOW! Great story! Incredible film making! Lets see Lex Luthor do that again!!!

How about this? Monster/Thing/Person kills Lois Lane, kills Ma and Pa Kent, Holds The last city of Krypton hostage, while his identity is revealed, and everyone he's ever known and loved is getting murdered left and right.

For the first time in his life, he has to battle with his ideals, and resort to killing people. To torturing. Which causes the government to issue a warrant for his arrest.

Motivated by revenge, the public turns on him.

Oh right, Hollywood doesn't have the balls to do that. He will be the same goodie goodie throughout the movie, and he will save Lois Lane, and Metropolis from whatever evil force there is.
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    The flaw of superman is that he is so completely unrelateable.

The best Superman stories completely deconstruct him and build him into something else.

- 'Red Son'
    - 'Kingdom Come'
    - 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow',

I would look into "What's so Funny about Truth Justice and the American way" and also Brian Azzarello's "For Tommorow" arc that he did with Jim Lee.

The fact that Superman is the archetypal superhero and not full of angst or anger is what makes him not boring and stand out. It separates him from all of that. He's hard to write because he's so strong, but in both of those stories I recommended the drama comes less from the opposing force and more to do with Superman's ideals.

Having him resort to killing like in your idea destroys the character and makes everything interesting about him go by the wayside.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Jacque: lol you just described Jack Bauer. Thats it!! Kiefer Sutherland needs to be superman now!

I like the Superman movies, and hope this new one will be good. Just think they skimped on this shot. Would be great if they made him more like the Samaritan, but at that point it'd just be better to make an Astro City movie :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    I enjoyed Kingdom Come.. /shrug
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't say 'boring'. I said just completely lacking any depth. Like most Tim Burton movies (with the exception of Big Fish).

Depth and believability is the difference between Christopher Nolan's Batman, and Joel Schumacher's.

All Star Superman?
    The one where he has 1 year to live?

That's a pretty drastic character change dontcha think?

Thats whats amazing. He didn't change. He did everything he could in the time he had left. But he didn't get depressed. He kept to his character and ideals. Its what made it such a strong read (and a good animated film btw).
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Man if they did a Red Son series of movies it would be ACE!!!!

Russian Superman, Batman as a terrorist. COMPLETE WIN!!!
  • skankerzero
    Christopher Nolan hasn't left the film. He's still acting producer unless something was announced that I missed.
  • skankerzero
  • Jeremy Wright
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I bet there'll be some slow-mo-pan-around+quick-speed-up shots. Does anybody like this guy's movies?

Also, what is everyone's opinion about All Star Superman? I liked it, personally.
  • skankerzero
    I personally love Zack Snyder's movies.
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    ah..so they are going with the lesser known hobo superman storyline
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Some more older pics;
    http://www.chud.com/65700/supermans-new-get-up-is-no-hobo-suit/

Would be cool if Clark Kent would be a hobo in this movie, not really sure if he is.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    maybe its just a wacky "I'm not really who you think I am" celebrity beard that he glues on so people pretend not to recognise him off camera?
    I dunno know, Hobo-clark seems like it'd be pushing just a tad too far from the concept for me, but I've yet to be disapointed with Snyders work so I'll wait for the finals instead of judging a wip... ... on a board that's all about judging wip's...
  • skankerzero
    or course there was a time in Superman's life where he traveled the world to find himself before fully becoming Superman.

This could be that.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    oh how it would be so awesome if they did a movie based off the Red Sun graphic novel. Now that would be amazing!!!

Russian Supes, batman as a terrorist. PURE WIN!!
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Goraaz wrote: »
    Some more older pics;
    http://www.chud.com/65700/supermans-new-get-up-is-no-hobo-suit/

Would be cool if Clark Kent would be a hobo in this movie, not really sure if he is.
    The resulting nerd rage could, if suitably harnessed, power a sizable country.
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    or course there was a time in Superman's life where he traveled the world to find himself before fully becoming Superman.

This could be that.

Yeah, that sounds more logical.
    Jackablade wrote: »
    The resulting nerd rage could, if suitably harnessed, power a sizable country.

Hahah, yeah. Not really sure how they would solve the Clark Kent/Lois Lane relation either. Not that they would have a relationship but I doubt Lois Lane would have anything to do with a hobo. She's usually somewhat shallow.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    What's strange about that video-game-esque costume is that it looks all industrial-made, and yet I'm pretty sure his mom made it in her spare time in her home in Kansas (or wherever he's from). So what then? His mom has military suit-making experience using cutting-edge materials?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    They've said it was with him in the ship this time around, and will most likely hold up to the alien abilities they have on Krypton.
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    What's strange about that video-game-esque costume is that it looks all industrial-made, and yet I'm pretty sure his mom made it in her spare time in her home in Kansas (or wherever he's from). So what then? His mom has military suit-making experience using cutting-edge materials?
  • Mcejn
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    If they can match or surpass this, then I'll be content:

All-Star-Superman-DVD-Blu-ray-box-art.jpg

(Yeah, I know some of you hardcores probably hate this shit) :)
  • skankerzero
    hardcore nothing. All Star Superman is as hardcore as it gets since it references lots of silver and golden age things.
  • Rwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Hope I'll get to work on it before my contract is up! lol.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    How about this? Monster/Thing/Person kills Lois Lane, kills Ma and Pa Kent, Holds The last city of Krypton hostage, while his identity is revealed, and everyone he's ever known and loved is getting murdered left and right.

Sounds exactly like the boring recent batman flicks hehe.

Kick-Ass > Superman anyways. It was probably the only superhero worth watching lately.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    They don't allow hotlinking. For those that can't see, its a Shirtless Superman Actor.

I don't really like Snyders work. Overuse of CG, slow motion, and limited color palettes. So I am afraid of this film.
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    He looks like some kind of spartan superman in those last pictures.
    The all-star superman movie is if anything a great fan-service in my opinion. It had lots of characters from the comics as opposed to all these new movies where they sort of introduce the characters with each film.
    I'm not too sure about this movie either. I liked Watchmen, Snyder's dark style fits that movie pretty well. He's pretty good at following comic book stories too so there is a chance this movie will be good.
    Kick-ass had a good idea(the comic) but the movie execution was just meh.
  • skankerzero
    Goraaz wrote: »
    It had lots of characters from the comics as opposed to all these new movies where they sort of introduce the characters with each film.

You'll have to elaborate on this because i'm pretty confused.