Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

APC - Scott Robertson

Replies

• tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    holy shitballs !! that is truly a thing of beauty. yes. thanks so much for sharing this dude
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Scott Robertson is amazing. You've done his work justice, for sure. Awesome job!
  • kevlar jens
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    I want your body Helder! Give it to ME!!
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Hooooooly Crap! Awesome Work!
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    You never fail to surprise me Helder... amazing.
  • CataFa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CataFa polycounter lvl 11
    Great model, very nice work!
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Very well done, Helder! Strong entry
  • Cexar
  • polygoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo polycounter lvl 17
  • eY3lEs5
  • chrisavigni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
    Great Model! Congrats!
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    I'm so proud of you...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    HP, I have a request! Can you show us specific details broken away from the rest of the model. I'm interested in how you did..

-your paneling. How you controlled your edgeloops in order to cut in the space between panels.
    -your minute detailing found within recesses of the paneling. Close up shows of the edge work here would be great.
    -Any thing else along the lines of these requests.

Pretty please?
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    this is badass!! I love your attention to detail on each panel in the detail denting pass. very clean and tight modelling, awesome.

only part i don't quite get, or doesn't read well in the model is the array of circular holes behind the driver side door on the wheel well front panel. In the concept they read like vent holes, but on the model/render they look a little like extrusions, which may be a product of light placement & material on that part of the metal reflecting the indents... but it just reads a little odd. Would be easily solved in texturing, but its my one gripe out of 100000 <3s :)
  • Perfectblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    HP, I have a request! Can you show us specific details broken away from the rest of the model. I'm interested in how you did..

-your paneling. How you controlled your edgeloops in order to cut in the space between panels.
    -your minute detailing found within recesses of the paneling. Close up shows of the edge work here would be great.
    -Any thing else along the lines of these requests.

Pretty please?

Please?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Now that I've asked to see the goods, how about some proper feedback, ya?

Paul (Pepera) and I were discussing your model over chat and came up with some thoughts. Below is a mish-mash of his and my thoughts on the model.

---

I think a lot of people are being blind sided by your excellent ability to model highpoly surfaces. You're very good at it and are one of my personal favourites.

However -- and really this is a comment about the vehicle itself -- but there's a lot of random sci-fi shit in here that really throws the impact of its design off. Random illogical panel cuts and shapes, elements of function that seem very random, and overall shapes that feel like they are there for whiz-bang sci-fi magic rather than a functioning, believable vehicle.

To be specific about what I am saying, here's some examples:
    • The tires. There's very little in them that feel like that all lend them self to the function of the vehicle. Besides the tread itself, all of those mechanical bits just feel.. there. They're cool, and you modeled them well, but they feel useless.
    • The large panel holding the "1, 2, 3" panels: Why does it twist as it does? In a vehicle like a motorcycle this sort of molding would fly but in a military vehicle not everything needs sexy form to it. When it comes to military vehicles function > form.
    • This doesn't feel like a large vehicle. It feels like a road vehicle, scaled, with a door attached to the side thus making it 'larger'.

You'll notice our feedback has nothing to do with your modeling ability but everything to do with the original design of the concept. This is not your fault, obviously. However -- especially for a modeling challenge/contest -- we think it would have been an excellent idea to flex your creative muscles and break out of the illogical choices this concept has and create the vehicle with function in mind. It would have been everything this model currently is without any of its short-comings.

This is feedback I wish I had given myself with some things in my own portfolio but apply to the work I do today as much as I can. So, reviewing your model was a learning experience unto itself. Thanks for that, haha.

-4 cents
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    oh boy :O good stuff!

nice crits from adam btw
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Again, thanks for the comments / critics, it means a lot guys! I got contacted by Scott, we might get this guy printed, if I can get it STL checked this century! :P

adam, I'm no modeling guru, but I can share a few techniques I used on the panels, I'll write down a few lines about it soon and try and show a few pics to explain it better.

Regarding your feedback (and pauls), you did brought a very good point to the table, it's usability and/or function.
    Often there's a very faint line between realistic and sci-fi, and function can't always make sense in the latter, wouldn't be sci-fi if it did. So I just tackled the model as a unrealistic sci-fi piece, and I didn't take the concept by heart as I took a lot of liberties too, much more fun and interesting to work and look at, if you take a few liberties here and there to make it look better.

If this model were for an actually game project (production), the way I would tackle the modeling would be greatly influenced by on how the Art Direction would be like, if it would be a very Sci-Fi game I would have made very blunt and 'futuristic' shapes, and it would need to look almost unrealistic.
    If it would be for a realistic military game set in the future, then in that case one would need to do a little study of real life tanks and somehow manage to implement this within futuristic shapes, hence why I mention previously the faint line between realistic and sci-fi; it really depends on the context; and in this case I see this as being a purely sci-fi piece, one for the fiction world where fun come first and function follows. :)

With that being said, I am not disregarding your feedback in any way, as it's a very good point, so thank you for that!
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    adam wrote: »
    • The tires. There's very little in them that feel like that all lend them self to the function of the vehicle. Besides the tread itself, all of those mechanical bits just feel.. there. They're cool, and you modeled them well, but they feel useless.

I don't know, looks like the designer has a visible brake drum assembly housed inside the wheel. It might not be practical but its definitely intentional.
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Highelf polycounter lvl 11
    Looks gorgeous, and very true to the concept!
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    thats sooooooo cool, looks like it would be fun to thrash around aswell lol
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
  • thatnumpty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not a fan of the concept but awesome job on the model.
  • Kaneth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nicely done HP :)