Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Roflness, why didn't you play GW?
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Rai wrote: »
    I don't want to make a new thread with a request, but I'm currently looking for a non-linear sandbox MMO, anyone know of a decent one?

EVE.
    It's amazing. So much so, after 6 months I had to give it up because it demanded too much of my time. Much to learn. Very steep learning curve as well. Sink or swim scenario. I can't think of anything like it.
    I often think of returning but it really is way too absorbing for someone who also wants to do art in his spare time.

If you dislike space or spaceships it's probably a no go though.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Fomori wrote: »
    EVE.
    It's amazing. So much so, after 6 months I had to give it up because it demanded too much of my time. Much to learn. Very steep learning curve as well. Sink or swim scenario. I can't think of anything like it.
    I often think of returning but it really is way too absorbing for someone who also wants to do art in his spare time.

If you dislike space or spaceships it's probably a no go though.

I want to like it, I just don't enjoy the combat.. Very boring. =/
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah the grind for Aion in the starting zones is horrible, but I really want to see the outside world + flying so I have to push through

lvl 8 -.-

"I couldn't even stand to log in when I was playing it for free...Aion is a typical Asian MMO, full of grind, little customization, and graphics from a 1990's arcade game complete with feminine mail avatars and child like female avatars. In short...it's crap."
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    frell wrote: »
    Ah the grind for Aion in the starting zones is horrible, but I really want to see the outside world + flying so I have to push through

You can get from 1-9 (you get a quest at 9 I think which will push you all the way to 10) in about an hour. I did it multiple times when I used to play. In fact I'm pretty sure you can easily do it all on quests.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An hour...? how the hell, Its been about 4-5 hours for me -.-
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15

lvl 8 -.-

"I couldn't even stand to log in when I was playing it for free...Aion is a typical Asian MMO, full of grind, little customization, and graphics from a 1990's arcade game complete with feminine mail avatars and child like female avatars. In short...it's crap."

People enjoy that type of crap?

Seriously, save yourself.. Go play Guild Wars, it's not that aged.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something keeps telling me the spawn is the only super grind in Aion (people swear its not a grindfest like WoW), but I give up, any game that would put me through so much bullshit not even a few hours in can die off like the rest.

Off to download the GW trial. - which reminds me, the fact that everything outside of towns is instanced is a big turnoff...

4:40 is what I was expecting, but it was far from this.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PAM0wr7cZ8[/ame]
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I don't see how anyone can play linear/grind games, it's boring and almost always turns into a solo game.

But then again, I grew up with UO.. :|

Grew up with UO aswell, but to be honest, even if it had full freedom and no quests people still fell into the grind trap there too.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    eld wrote: »
    Grew up with UO aswell, but to be honest, even if it had full freedom and no quests people still fell into the grind trap there too.

Yeah, later in UO's life.. If you were a hardcore player, you'd grind.

But you always had a choice, and even if you did "grind" it wasn't as bad as it is in the MMO's we have today, it was always very short, could max your character out in less than a week.

Skills also never split people up, no matter your skill level, you could always enjoy the same little adventures your friends did.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, later in UO's life.. If you were a hardcore player, you'd grind.

But you always had a choice, and even if you did "grind" it wasn't as bad as it is in the MMO's we have today, it was always very short, could max your character out in less than a week.

Skills also never split people up, no matter your skill level, you could always enjoy the same little adventures your friends did.

Darkfall is supposedly like UO btw, but I never tried it that much.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guild wars is very pretty, but I really don't see anything special and it really lacks the "orgrimmar" feel in WoW (crowded, everyone on their mounts, busy). Towns have alot of people and the world is fun to stroll through, not very grindy but it seemed a tad dull to me, but I've only given it 30 minutes, Ill play more tomorrow :P
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Id love to play rift :( im waiting for them to improve the graphics optimizations

Rift is only $10 on steam today only.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/39120/?snr=1_4_4_

I'm tempted to start up again. We got free Rift accounts at work, but we still have to pay the monthly fees after the 30 day trial was over. I liked what I saw, though.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    man I miss UO ... that was a fun game
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond wrote: »
    Rift is only $10 on steam today only.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/39120/?snr=1_4_4_

I'm tempted to start up again. We got free Rift accounts at work, but we still have to pay the monthly fees after the 30 day trial was over. I liked what I saw, though.
    I would have already bought it if I could run it
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Roflness, why didn't you play GW?

hahahahah.. they are too easy.. I love grind.. I played Lineage 2 for years, the harder the grind the better.. and you know why? people take their time, there is no rush to max level. because the goal to max level is many months or even a year away.

if the grind is easy people rush and its a mad scramble the mentality changes to its so easy whats taking you so long.. that I find the most annoying.

and in L2 I learned to enjoy the grind I had 2 accounts 1 as a buff bot to my main account, I found my own pace, and so did everyone, I think the record in L2 was something like 3 years to get to the level cap.. lol but the guy still plays today and will never leave as long as the servers run.

with aion what youre looking for is at lvl 50-55 thats where most of the stuff happens.. also with the aion vision trailer, alot of that stuff you see with by endgame lvl 55 stuff
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I got my wings, got out of the spawn, and it still feels like a clunky asian mmorpg thats just playing dress up..

Guess ill go back to WoW, even though its slowly being ruined by Activision.

I can't really get into guild wars either. Every game that i've tried other than WoW has given me an insecure feeling and I just can't get into it. And even when I first experienced WoW I didn't feel like this
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IT's not out in america/europe yet, but Tera Online looks pretty amazing. It's also more action based than standard rpg as well, so when the beta comes out i'll be trying it.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Fuck it, we're going back to MUDs!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    rolfness wrote: »
    hahahahah.. they are too easy.. I love grind.. I played Lineage 2 for years, the harder the grind the better.. and you know why? people take their time, there is no rush to max level. because the goal to max level is many months or even a year away.

if the grind is easy people rush and its a mad scramble the mentality changes to its so easy whats taking you so long.. that I find the most annoying.

and in L2 I learned to enjoy the grind I had 2 accounts 1 as a buff bot to my main account, I found my own pace, and so did everyone, I think the record in L2 was something like 3 years to get to the level cap.. lol but the guy still plays today and will never leave as long as the servers run.

with aion what youre looking for is at lvl 50-55 thats where most of the stuff happens.. also with the aion vision trailer, alot of that stuff you see with by endgame lvl 55 stuff
    I take it you like EVE then :)
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    That sucks about RIFT how it isn't running well. I wonder if you could post your system specs or dxdiag? Can't make any promises, but I might be able to figure out why you might be having problems.

Have you tried playing Everquest 2 or Lord of the rings online?
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    I take it you like EVE then :)

never played EVE.. kinda odd since I loved the X series from egosoft.

must be because theres no scantily clad women with watermellon breasts.. xD
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    rolfness wrote: »
    never played EVE.. kinda odd since I loved the X series from egosoft.

must be because theres no scantily clad women with watermellon breasts.. xD

unless you spend lots of time in the character creation :)

Id say it would suit you if you liked X. its like X but with people and less boredom
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sucks about RIFT how it isn't running well. I wonder if you could post your system specs or dxdiag? Can't make any promises, but I might be able to figure out why you might be having problems.

Have you tried playing Everquest 2 or Lord of the rings online?
    Ive even gone as far as editing .cfg files AND running the game in dx9 mode and its still horribly, I cant believe it. Usually I can play any game at a very decent balance of quality/performance and not have it look shit. Rift either looks good or bad.

Specs:
    specse.png
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    halps :(

also my rift trial ran out a while ago, how will I test the new specs? (if you guys help me and it works)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the Rift recommended settings for a quick comparison:

Recommended System Specifications
    Operating system: Windows XP, Vista, or 7
    Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or better
    Memory: 4 GB
    Hard disk space: 15.0 GB available
    Desktop Video: Nvidia GTS 250 or better
    Notebook Video: Nvidia GTX 200M series or better
    Sound: DirectX 8.1 compliant card
    DirectX®: 9.0c, June 2010 update

I only have 2.0 ghz but I have 6gb ram, and Im 64bit, shouldn't that make up for the lost .2ghz?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bump before im off, if anyone has any advice for rift
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i suggest you update your drivers. From what I can see its been 2 years since you updated it?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I updated it after I posted that picture, and then tried rift to no avail
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update rift, and maybe make sure your AA AF is off... if that doesnt work I guess you are SOL
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im looking into an external graphics card for my laptop. Seeing as how I can run crysis on high and most games at a very decent level, the newer games are starting to take hits.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turns out the external cards are over $600 and use a proprietary port

But I also found:

"What you can do is check in the bios, by hitting F10 when booting up and scroll through bios options and see if you can add more ram to the graphics card. This will take away some system ram, but will make the video more smooth... If F10 doesn't get you into bios look up your manual."

Apparently with HP and ATI the vram and ram are shared, I have 6gb ram and theres no way games are using it all, could relocation work?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also defragged before I ran rift
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    unless you spend lots of time in the character creation :)

Id say it would suit you if you liked X. its like X but with people and less boredom

D: heresy !!! I was never bored playing any of the Xgames, it was the perfect singleplayer sandbox game!!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't look great really, watched alot of reviews etc. Plus most p2p games gone free are dying.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Not really, most of them go F2P because the profit revenues vs P2P is greater. Even WoW is slowly nudging in that direction (albeit very slowly since they're still churning massive profits), TF2 became F2P but didn't have too at all.

The MMO market is saturated with F2P games, that why many dev's go F2P, unless you have the financial backing of WoW or the near perfect launch of Rift, gamers will pass you.

Also, not to blow the horn more, but F2P market does offer games which are unique in many ways which P2P won't offer. Vindictus being one of them.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    This is an MMO I'm currently working on.

Might be interesting if you're interested in 'modern fantasy' over 'high fantasy'.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0S_-UOEw7A&hd=1[/ame]
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Video is not available in my country?
  • JacqueChoi
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    honestly, ive played all the major ones, and i keep going back to EQ2. its just too good to stop playing. constant updates, constant expansions. HUUUUUGE character developement (90 levels, plus 300 "talent points", but they are called alternate achievement points. you get them by doing quests, killing mobs, killing bosses and rare spawns, and exploration.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    (We are aware the characters look like complete crap, and I've been hired to completely redo the heads and skin tones from scratch).

After following this game for a few years, you don't understand how happy it makes me to hear that.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15

(We are aware the characters look like complete crap, and I've been hired to completely redo the heads and skin tones from scratch).

Might be interesting if you're interested in 'modern fantasy' over 'high fantasy'.

How open is the world? I keep hearing it's non-linear and you can walk about however you'd like.. But how true is that?
  • acarr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acarr polycounter lvl 6

What about the running animations?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator

hah. We had absolutely no plan back then ... but I guess you know how old those characters are hehe. That's why I left just before everyone packed up to chase the Montreal tax break. But if they have people like you on the team know, this baby should be in good hands. Let's hope they manage to release it some day.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what makes eq2 different from wow and I heard monthly its $25
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    what makes eq2 different from wow and I heard monthly its $25

Is there a monthly fee to play EQ2? If so, how much?

Yes, there is a monthly subscription fee for EQ2 which is $14.99 a month for a normal subscription depending on your pay cycle. SOE will also add EQ2 to the All Access pass, a $21.99 per month subscription that covers EQLive, PlanetSide, EQ: Online Adventures (PS2 version), and some other minor games.
    Google ---^

I've never played EQ2, so I can't tell you how it plays.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downloading eq2

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME THERE ISNT AN ITEM SHOP