Home General Discussion

Need an MMORPG, any suggestions?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
I really like winding down and spending (some) of my free time immsersed in a beautiful virtual world and I feel its healthy for an artist to do such a thing to keep imagination and creative juices flowing, along with inspiration.

Right now I've been playing WoW a little bit, but the grind is just really not my deal, I liked games with more story based quests like Oblivion, Fallout, and Runescape (good times back in the day). I would have switched to Rift if the game wasn't horribly optimized, I can barely hold it up on low, but I can run crysis on high.

So does anyone play any right now that they'd like to suggest? Free or paid, preferably paid to avoid bad content or RW item shops.

Thanks

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Eve online maybe?

It has a ton of sights of you enjoy space and scifi, and you can play it at your own pace and stay out of danger if you wish.
    Just sitting in a corner of space and scan for anomalies to find wormholes or hidden stuff, or pick a point in space and just go there.

Allods as a free example, that game is gorgeous and full of fantastic sights but infested with free to play traps, but as long as you do it for the visuals!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had already tried eve online, and im not a very sci fi person. But if I was, i'd already be sold with Black Prophecy.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Aion

I have been playing this for agggesss well polished and looks fantastic..
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    read about that briefly but I figured the name gave the "foreign anime fantasy" vibe

brbgoogle!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAHAAHAHAH go to 2:20

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=011wzrUSenQ[/ame]

Its what I thought it was, though. A foreign (specifically I mean asian) mmorpg, they tend to feel alot different and almost hollow.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Team Fortress 2 is free to play
    Spiral Knights is fun for the first 30 hours.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahah yeah thats the chibi heads that they put into the game in the 2.5 update..

yeah its korean
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PAM0wr7cZ8[/ame]
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that vision trailer features stuff not implemented yet, its more of a long term goal of how they see aion evolving, theres some speculation that quite a bit of stuff in that video will be implemented in 3.0.

One of the great things about aion is the flying and i cant play an mo now in which I dont fly/glide.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is that? ^^? That looks really good but this is not how the game looked in that June 2011 review

Ill definitely try it out if it looks like that come 3.0
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that review is also basically noob town, not alot goes on there.. lol...

theres plenty to do even when you hit the lvl cap of 55.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about the player base, is it one of those games thats on the verge of going ftp to try and capture some fans as it dies?

Dude. I´d suggest stop thinking this way. It´s way better to get outside to sketch or try to make personal works.
    ahahaha wat

I can't find character inspiration in my backyard
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    frell wrote: »
    What is that? ^^? That looks really good but this is not how the game looked in that June 2011 review

Ill definitely try it out if it looks like that come 3.0

Yeah, there's prettier areas than the beginner one, and the reviewer in that video isn't playing it completely maxed out :P

Needless to say, if you aren't looking for some permanent home it doesn't hurt playing any of these, since as you said, you're looking mainly looking for inspiration and things to look at right?
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    I think guild wars may be on sale on Steam still. Never tried it, but I have a few friends who swear by it. I personally play Rift and WoW (not at the same time, mind you), but you already ruled those out.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    Yeah, there's prettier areas than the beginner one, and the reviewer in that video isn't playing it completely maxed out :P

Needless to say, if you aren't looking for some permanent home it doesn't hurt playing any of these, since as you said, you're looking mainly looking for inspiration and things to look at right?

Just a world yes, some microgoals is all. I usually will get hooked on the game and will want to recreate something from it so bad, thats what I want
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://mmohuts.com/free-trials/aion

If you read the text review there it gets some hefty rep as a repetitive grind fest, but I guess i'd be used to that.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well I can only comment on my server population and its absolutely fine, it did thin out a little but seiges have a big turnout.

I recently levelled a second character and from 0-25 it can be a bit sparse, the game is quite mature now so most of the population are in high level areas.

saying that though I have helped out noobs that arent rerollsrecently which is encouraging about the state of the game.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downloading the trial now, hopefully it will be something new for me.

People have compared Aion to lineage 2, but l2 didn't look that great to me.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played lineage 2 for like 3-4 years.. it is made by the same company so there are some similarities, but Aion is much much much easier... L2 = make your eyes bleed grindfest
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Strange that you struggled to run Rift as my friend who came from WoW and has a crappy machine says Rift runs better for him.

I'm playing Rift for a week now. Also played it in open beta for a few days. I think it has a pretty unique approach with it's souls and planar dimensions etc. But ultimately plays similar to WoW.

Like you I also wanted an mmo that features STORY heavily. But I've struggled to find one. I think more linear single player games like Mass Effect and L.A. Noire handle story SO much better.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can run crysis on high but rift buckles on low, I have no clue why. And when I get it going smooth, as soon as I left the starter area and was in the open world it lagged even worse, and looks horrible if I put it very low with the low renderer. Googling the problem I've found that some people have the same unexplained visual lag.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I think Blade and Soul is due to be out soon.

Conan just became free to play.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paid gone free = death
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Rift is great, if the PvP was better I probably would of played it some more.

Aion is very grindy and it feels like it's designed to make you waste time, like having quest chains that take you all the way to the end of a zone and then back to the start. They also didn't put realistic limits on the character customization so you'll see a lot of wacky looking goons with giant pumpkin heads or 4ft long arms walking around.

f2p = lots of players, wizards 101 just hit 20 million users and even the starting zones have healthy populations of players.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The more videos I watch about Aion the more comments I see saying its really something different and is very unique and there alot to do.

All mmorpgs are grindy though aren't they?

Id love to play rift :( im waiting for them to improve the graphics optimizations
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rift is great, if the PvP was better I probably would of played it some more.

Aion is very grindy and it feels like it's designed to make you waste time, like having quest chains that take you all the way to the end of a zone and then back to the start. They also didn't put realistic limits on the character customization so you'll see a lot of wacky looking goons with giant pumpkin heads or 4ft long arms walking around.

f2p = lots of players, wizards 101 just hit 20 million users and even the starting zones have healthy populations of players.

The time wasting quests have been vastly shortened simply because the network of teleports has doubled in location.

I cant stand the freaky looking player characters, and the most comon is the midget sized people that think that the small size helps when it comes to pvp... but that only works for noobs..

Aion is sorta grindy but they made it easier for the tsunami of wow whiners that complained it was too hard. 50-55 is when it starts to slow, as NCsoft doesnt want you getting to max lvl and gear too easily and get bored of the game.. some argue that its a self defeating strategy..
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    I don't want to make a new thread with a request, but I'm currently looking for a non-linear sandbox MMO, anyone know of a decent one?

Have stooped to the point of crawling back to Ultima Online. :|

Not meaning to steal the topic from you, Frell. <3
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its fine, ill be playing the Aion trial :P

I really don't know why they allow the freaky people, it makes me sad that they would allow such an "exploit" and total immersion breaker.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Allods Online is a free-to-play Russian made fantasy MMORPG.

http://www.allods.com/

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K69BnRZzdbI[/ame]
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Already tried Allods, introduced my friend to it and he got hooked but I scooted back to WoW.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allods Online is a free-to-play Russian made fantasy MMORPG.

http://www.allods.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K69BnRZzdbI

"armour on .. armour off.. heeeeyy" loool
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Just stick with wow. The new Star Wars MMO has me Excited though. Gonna hook that up for sure.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Lotro ... it's a wow clone, but there's a lot of attention to detail, the community is very friendly and it's free. There's also a healthy roleplaying scene on some servers, if that's your thing.

Personally I alternate between wow and lotro (bought a lifetime membership some years ago when the dollar was insanely low :) )
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Rift is a pretty damn good game. As has been said, if the PvP was better I'd still be playing it. But if you're looking for a solid PvE experience, meaning questing and story-based stuff, it's a solid choice. The character development system the best I've ever seen in an MMO (the way you customize souls).

The only other game I'm waiting for is Guild Wars 2. Looks really promising.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Allods
    World of Tanks
    Vindicitus
    Aion
    Age of Conan
    Team Fortress 2
    Lord of the Rings Online
    Spiral Knights
  • Bas Vegter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bas Vegter polycounter lvl 7
    To add something that isnt so popular, and perhaps more out of ur way

Try out eden eternity, as a former WoW player I actually was impressed by this mmo currently in beta, the cartoony art style is fun, and somehow it feels really smooth when you play it.

However blade & soul is definatly one that I am going too play. Gameplay, art and whole feel of that game is pretty damn top notch. Being able too actually miss spells, having an sort of mortal combat styled pvp instead of pushing button 1-4, and being able to followup on skills and just its grand diversity etc makes blade & soul very promising imo.

Only downfall is that its quite japanese, as in anime, and overly giant boobs or weird furry classes.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    I still mess around with Neverwinter Nights on occasion. Not massively multiplayer, but still fun with all the created content. :D

I've played allods, and I was surprised how subtle/avoidable a lot of the f2p 'traps' were. I've put a good amount of time into a couple different characters over the past couple years, and I've only ever spent 10 bucks. I bought a mount, and that was almost completely out of support for the company, obviously not essential.

2.0 just came out, so if you haven't jumped on in a while, I would check out some of the changes if your still interested. Fun game.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    Just stick with wow. The new Star Wars MMO has me Excited though. Gonna hook that up for sure.
    Black prophecy looks better than old republic :P

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y6bFJxdVZk[/ame]

Roflness, playing the trial, no comment yet as im still in the starting zone (other than the lack of Anis filtering :( ) what up with all of the no chatting, no whisper, no anything if you're under 55? And when do I get my wings to compliment the hair on my back :D

I would go back to WoW but the last I heard the guys who made the original World of Warcraft no longer work with blizzard and activision has been dragging the game into the ground in order to get a bigger market, just like GH, Call of duty etc. I can't help the feeling im playing a dumbed down version of the game ever since all of my friends left when cataclysm came.

Thanks for all the suggestions Ill look into them all
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Stradigos wrote: »
    I think guild wars may be on sale on Steam still. Never tried it, but I have a few friends who swear by it. I personally play Rift and WoW (not at the same time, mind you), but you already ruled those out.

Seriously if it is get it, no monthly fees and with the trilogy it's the best bang for your buck. There's not a whole lot of grinding to it either with everything being more skill based.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured I would just wait until GW2, but the release date is "when its finished", so I need something to hold me over.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    any a good mmo for Solo hunter? ( not a big fan of joining guild or party)
  • dregoloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured I would just wait until GW2, but the release date is "when its finished", so I need something to hold me over.

Guild Wars. It's amazingly fun for an MMO, and when Guild Wars 2 comes out, you'll have more of an appreciation for the world.

Also: Expansive world with 3 continents, each with a different theme, using it in a non-generic manner, and it's not anime. You won't likely find a lack of inspiration from it, and if you do- just check out some of the concept art. It's also solo-friendly.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the no chatting thing is basically up to lvl 10 because gold farmers were making millions of spam accounts annoyimg the regular players with messages.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It says 5 for regional chat and /say said no shout under 55, and can you get wings in the trial? is it a sort of big common aspect of the game?
    dregoloth wrote: »
    Guild Wars. It's amazingly fun for an MMO, and when Guild Wars 2 comes out, you'll have more of an appreciation for the world.

Also: Expansive world with 3 continents, each with a different theme, using it in a non-generic manner, and it's not anime. You won't likely find a lack of inspiration from it, and if you do- just check out some of the concept art. It's also solo-friendly.
    Could you please link me to the correct one on steam? there are quite a few.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Rift for $9.99 on the Steam sale today. If you were planning on checking it out, this is a good time to do it.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Already did the 7 day trial and found out it runs too slow
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Could you please link me to the correct one on steam? there are quite a few.

This is the one you want, it has the 3 main campaigns in one game
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/29570/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

If you have money to spare I would also get Eye of the North expansion
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/29700/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1
    Stuff you do in this game will carry over to GW2 when it comes out :)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really? thats odd, wings come after you ascend and become a daeva. i cant remember what that level is. if it doesnt happen at lvl 10 then its 20

general chat is /3

it might be that because youre on a trial.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Guild Wars is an old game. Aion is their newest game. Go with Aion, it's better in every way. But of course that's not to say GW is a crappy game, it's just outdated."

Isnt Aion made by the same people as Guild Wars? They look very similar
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    I don't see how anyone can play linear/grind games, it's boring and almost always turns into a solo game.

But then again, I grew up with UO.. :|

"Guild Wars is an old game. Aion is their newest game. Go with Aion, it's better in every way. But of course that's not to say GW is a crappy game, it's just outdated."

Guild Wars is it's own thing, something you really need to experience, story driven and no grind, straight to max level with 80% "end content".

You really can't compare Guild Wars to Aion or WoW.
    Isnt Aion made by the same people as Guild Wars? They look very similar

Guild Wars was made by ArenaNet, which was then acquired by NCSoft.

I believe NCSoft is just a publisher.