Home General Discussion

E3-Nintendo

Replies

• dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Calabi wrote: »
    Its a peripheral, hence the additional WIIu. The next console will be called the WIIUUTOO

With the optional body interface WiiOnU.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i like lego games
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Battlefield 3 on WiiU? Oh wow
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I like the idea of a madden game on the wiiU where you can draw plays and routes for people to run on the controller.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    what am i missing here? how are these titles possible on the wii without new hardware? is the controller adding to the processing power of the host wii or something?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Get me a motion tracker on the control screen for Aliens Colonal Marines and I'll pretty much tattoo a picture of Regie on my face.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    MikeF wrote: »
    what am i missing here? how are these titles possible on the wii without new hardware? is the controller adding to the processing power of the host wii or something?

Its a new console, its just, they never bothered to SAY its a new console... Stupid way to tell everybody about it.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Wii U = Nintendo iPad?
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    MikeF wrote: »

There IS new hardware. WiiU is a new console.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    ah, so it just ties in with the wii...
    ok how much $$$ now?
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    gief specs! plx!
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    I dont think it has anything to do with the wii except that it is backwards compatible
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    WiiU = new console with high-end HD graphics + iPad/button controller.

I can't believe any of you guys are skeptical - Nintendo is fucking KILLING with this. The uses for the screen are awesome, and they've got tons of legit third party. They're directly putting Arkham City and Assassin's Creed on there, those are huge AAA titles!

*edit*

John Riccitiello mentioned Battlefield, and they showed shots of the game. Looks 100% as good as it does on PS3 or 360, as far as I can tell..
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    TomDunne wrote: »
    I can't believe any of you guys are skeptical - Nintendo is fucking KILLING with this. The uses for the screen are awesome, and they've got tons of legit third party. They're directly putting Arkham City and Assassin's Creed on there, those are huge AAA titles!

Agreed. I actually think we'll see something similar from Sony and Microsoft in a year or two.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    I'm not confident about it's rendering capabilities untill they show some specs. I'm guessing 360/PS3 hardware.
  • glottis8
  • Cexar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    ivars wrote: »
    I'm not confident about it's rendering capabilities untill they show some specs. I'm guessing 360/PS3 hardware.

Totally. Was waiting for specs the whole time and since they didn't give none I think they ain't got that much to be proud of.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    ivars wrote: »

I bet the internals aren't even finalized yet.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not sure we can trust what they are showing of the graphics yet, but I dont know I'm confused.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I can see it being a tad better than 360/PS3 specs, but not a major leap. To be fair, thats all they have to do.

Also, they released pics of the new Zelda HD, and... Well it doesn't look like anything much the current Wii couldn't do, aside from the resolution. But even then it looks like its 720p upscaled to 1080p... So not sure what to think about this, specs wise...

untitled-1h886r8gc.jpg

Thse lower res textures have me thinking its still 512meg memory, which for a future proof console would be utter bollocks, imo...

But its gonna open up some amazing ideas for gaming that you wont find elsewhere.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    It's almost like a NGP/Vita but not portable :\

With slightly better hardware hopefully....
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    the normals on the spiders front right leg are flipped, yay mirroring :)
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    luke wrote: »
    WHAT my mind is full of fuck, so there is new hardware apart from the controller hardware?

Dude, it's a whole new console. The controllers are part of it.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah was confused throughout that presentation. Kept calling it a controller and then shows the bird tech demo and I was like wtf. Someone needs to talk to them about presentations.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    If this means I can take the controller to the toilet and continue playing, I'm in.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    and in a year or two when the new round of consoles from Sony and Microsoft are announced or previewed it will once again make the wiiu look like the wii does now compared to the current hardware.

Online play. Check already have that in the 360/PS3... Meh.... Nintendo had nothing that interested me. Kinda sad really.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Did anybody else notice the motion graphics between 3rd party game trailers that seemed to hint at tessellation?
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet...so the controller is probably empty aside from the screen, and the console just streams everything to it...wonder what kind of range that would have.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    I got a Ps3, 360 and high end PC. How would Nintendo win someone like me over :|
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    gsokol wrote: »
    Sweet...so the controller is probably empty aside from the screen, and the console just streams everything to it...wonder what kind of range that would have.

Might be something akin to remote play on PS3. IE you can stream on wifi network. Man really wish Sony would pick up their act with remote play/hope its in PSVita. They had the whole play PS3 games on psp but only Pixel Junk actually used it :(
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I am cautiously optimistic about this, but the words I really wanted to hear were 'Backwards compatible with gamecube'. Give me Wind Waker in HD dammnit!!
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Buy a 3Ds a Wii and a Wii U and you can play the new Smash Bros properly!

Still not buying a Nintendo product :|

Yeah thats not what they said at all.

Posting negative untrue things in the sony thread, posting negative untrue things in the nintendo thread, but said negative untrue things suspiciously absent from the xbox thread... hmm... see what I'd suggesting at Skamberin?

EDIT: Oh and Reggie is just an incredibly disingenuine non-gaming muppet, Iwate should have done the whole presentation...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Skamberin wrote: »
    I got a Ps3, 360 and high end PC. How would Nintendo win someone like me over :|

The games? The gameplay? How is that not the selling point?
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas, just load up Wind Waker in the Dolphin emulator. I've been enjoying crisp Zelda graphics for a while now :)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    thoughts on Nintendos conference:

care_so_little.jpg

Wiiu completely underwhelmed me. Its a tablet that doesn't work unless close to the system or connected to the net. In fact Sony already did this with PS3+PSP years ago where you can run console games on a handheld screen. The menu info in a controller screen was done by dreamcast too, and it sucked, no one wants to have to keep looking back and forth between their screen and controller. Plus basically nothing game wise was shown other then ports. wth nintendo?
    Andreas wrote: »
    the words I really wanted to hear were 'Backwards compatible with gamecube'. Give me Wind Waker in HD dammnit!!

Same.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    This is just a half odd half weird bizzare thing. So that ipad thing is just a controller? That's gotta run more than $100. What if I want a second one? So we gotta spend hundreds of dollars on controllers?

And really all this does is bring it up to par with 360/ps3 graphics. Like has been said here, couple more years and we'll start seeing the xbox3/ps4 capabilities, and this thing will be have the same relative power as the Wii does today. Only with expensive controllers.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Entity wrote: »
    Andreas, just load up Wind Waker in the Dolphin emulator. I've been enjoying crisp Zelda graphics for a while now :)

My friend did that, didnt get it working right, the gameplay/music would be fine out on the world map, but would speed up in a house etc... known bug apparently, did you get around it?
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    The games? The gameplay? How is that not the selling point?
    I played Super Mario 64 and Zelda Ocarina of Time (new Zeldas and Marios are pretty much remakes of those), I don't play FPS games on Console other than Halo, so what NEW and INNOVATIVE and AMAZING can the Wii U actually present?

Oh and I don't care about playing multiplat games in a different way by using some peripheral.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Wii was the last nintendo console I'll buy, and I've owned every one of their systems up to this point. I imagine most of the additional functionality will be gimmicks tacked on to existing games. There will be a few exclusives that are neat, but ultimately not worth the cost to play and the in-ability to play next-gen games in a couple years.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. Okay, I'm going to have to give the overall press conference award to Sony.

I'm not saying that Nintendo's presentation was bad. But it was definitely confusing. That was probably the worst "reveal" I've ever seen.

And it wasn't because of what was being revealed. I think the WiiU is a very interesting concept, and could be a really sweet system. But it wasn't until three quarters of the way through the presentation that I was sure that they were presenting a new console, and not just a new controller for their existing console. It wasn't until someone who DOESN'T work for Nintendo came out and told us this was a new console that my confusion was put to rest.

As neat as their new controller is, they did a terrible job of explaining WiiU. Also, I wasn't really seeing any new software for the 3DS. This may have been the first big reveal for Luigi's Mansion, but I can't help but feel that I had heard about it before. And the poor original Wii languished without any major game announcements.

Nintendo dominated last E3. But a fairly shallow software showing combined with a very poorly planned console reveal held them back in 2011. Congratulations, Sony.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    and in a year or two when the new round of consoles from Sony and Microsoft are announced or previewed it will once again make the wiiu look like the wii does now compared to the current hardware.

Worked out pretty well for 'em the first time. How many new consoles do you think Nintendo can sell in that stretch between now and when Sony and MS release a new console? And does it even matter when the target audience is not exactly the same. Not everyone cares about playing the hottest military simulator with eye busting graphics. Some people just want to play a silly/fun game, on a console that doesn't cost as a much as a car payment.

Apples and oranges.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank god I got a Wii dirt cheap, the only game left to look forward to is Skyward Sword.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    I am cautiously optimistic about this, but the words I really wanted to hear were 'Backwards compatible with gamecube'. Give me Wind Waker in HD dammnit!!

Yeah thats not what they said at all.

Posting negative untrue things in the sony thread, posting negative untrue things in the nintendo thread, but said negative untrue things suspiciously absent from the xbox thread... hmm... see what I'd suggesting at Skamberin?

EDIT: Oh and Reggie is just an incredibly disingenuine non-gaming muppet, Iwate should have done the whole presentation...
    Nice that you missed how I have a PS3.
    I didn't like the Sony press conference because it didn't present anything that ringed awesome for me other than Uncharted 3.
    Microsofts press conference stopped being good after the gears 3 footage, then got good again with the Halo reveals, too much Kinect.

If you're so hurt about people criticizing a company you likes presentation, suggesting others are a fanboy might be a bit off.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    I really like the new console, however the presentation seems heavily aimed to someone who are not into hi-tech stuff.
    yet they tries to convince some hardcore gamer in the same time ( but yet .., not enough effort)
  • nalwayv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does it come in Black.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    Worked out pretty well for 'em the first time. How many new consoles do you think Nintendo can sell in that stretch between now and when Sony and MS release a new console? And does it even matter when the target audience is not exactly the same. Not everyone cares about playing the hottest military simulator with eye busting graphics. Some people just want to play a silly/fun game, on a console that doesn't cost as a much as a car payment.

Apples and oranges.

To be fair, after buying accessories for the wii it pretty much evens out.

It's the illusion of buying a cheaper console.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    From what I've seen, I get the feeling we're still gonna be hearing dev's saying "it's coming to all the platforms, PS3, Xbox, and PC"

I don't know, it seems like Nintendo is losing itself. They don't know what they want to be anymore, and it's kinda sad. It's almost the Sega consoles again.

[EDIT] And Reggie is still creepy as fuck, and downright scary when he's being asked questions he doesn't wanna answer. Seriously, they need ANYone else as their spokesperson.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Reggie just announced Wiiu WONT render Wii/Gamecube games at a higher res or upscale them. :(