Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• clockchrome
    The head has been reworked. And now, she can blow her trumpet!
    kanata03.jpg

@Racer445: I admire your beautiful model and tex.
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
  • Vegas
    Offline / Send Message
    Vegas polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, brilliant art pops up in this thread. It has inspired me.

Clockchrome, your model looks much better now, the horn has a much nicer silhouette now, keep it up.

Racer445, that saw is brilliant nice work on the texture. From the image, I feel like there a couple of edge loops on the handle that don't add much to the silhouette, for instance the two at the top could become one. But again that is from the perspective of the images.

So I've set myself a challenge- 500 tris, 256 colour. He's a luchador, in case you hadn't realised :). After a few more passes on his colour map I'll move onto his trusty steed.
    ElDiabloWIP01.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Clockchrome, nice to see you took on the suggestions, she really does look great now, interesting model indeed!
  • bbob
    Awesome texture, vegas
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    wrong thread dawg
  • jmiles
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    haha shit my bad.. Admins can delete this if they want.. thought I clicked WAYWO
  • mcunha98
  • spinal
    Offline / Send Message
    spinal polycounter lvl 17
    Vegas wrote: »
    Hey guys, brilliant art pops up in this thread. It has inspired me.

Clockchrome, your model looks much better now, the horn has a much nicer silhouette now, keep it up.

Racer445, that saw is brilliant nice work on the texture. From the image, I feel like there a couple of edge loops on the handle that don't add much to the silhouette, for instance the two at the top could become one. But again that is from the perspective of the images.

So I've set myself a challenge- 500 tris, 256 colour. He's a luchador, in case you hadn't realised :). After a few more passes on his colour map I'll move onto his trusty steed.
    ElDiabloWIP01.jpg

EPIC! Love it.
  • Tennis
    Offline / Send Message
    Tennis polycounter lvl 16
    madPXL: looks great, love the texture!

Vegas: very cool.

managed to get a bit of time for some lowpoly stuffthis weekend, so i decided to do a quick boat.
    Wanted to add more details, but ran out of texture space.

lowpoly_boat.png

boat.gif
  • Delko
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
    Awesome Tennis, I love how bright and cheery the colors are yet theirs a gatling gun mounted to the front.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    It's the good ship Rocket up your butt
  • seamus
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Tennis wrote: »

managed to get a bit of time for some lowpoly stuffthis weekend, so i decided to do a quick boat.

lowpoly_boat.png

boat.gif

If you made a game with nothing but your art like this I am sure it would sell very well.
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    Every time you post its brilliant work, love your style tennis, Filtering off definately sells it better :p
  • Ani
    Tennis, you are too good ♥
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • kitetsu
    Hello, lurker coming out, fresh meat with only a year and a half of 3D experience.

This is my 8th or 9th revision to my first model ever. This version is also in the rocks because the model looks really ugly even for low poly standards, and the character's design still looks shittacular, according to some erudites of character design. I'm trying to retool it from scratch for a 10th revision so that her design elements and anatomical fluff flows a bit better. Go go Gadget Duke Nukem Forever syndrome.

MatildaIdleRender.png

MatildaXbowRender3.jpg

matildawalk.gif

Yes, her feet are covered in grass and makes grass grow with each step. I play Okami a lot. I will post a human next time in case people are offended by this.
  • drelectro
    Offline / Send Message
    drelectro polycounter lvl 8
    @Vegas: topo top, texture pro!
  • beancube
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    Tennis - DUUDE! awesome.

kitetsu - interesting :O

Tiki Statue for an Iphone title.
    Shoots arrows!

tiki_statue_01.jpg

Now back to Sub-D modellin... lol
  • Oleg
    Offline / Send Message
    Oleg polycounter lvl 14
    tennis , that boat is fking awesome !

beancube , just love it ! love the colours and style.

I am working on a spider thing, something really wrong with it right now.
    MWK0y.jpg
    I also made some icons and plants for the project.
    tKnx7.jpg
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    This page is rocking it! So much great work.
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    @tennis, that rocks! Really really love your style.
    @kitetsu, very cool design!
  • felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    @beancube: Any specific reason you didn't mirror the faces?
  • ceriux
  • Mr_Drayton
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    @Tennis: too nice to be true! *__*
    Somehow reminds me of Yattacan. :D

@Kitetsu: it's kinda weird... I like her very much, but would just improve the animation a bit. :)

Sigh, it's a lot of time I don't model something serious, I got two paid works this month (a website and a small journal) and both are killing my modeling/iOS development time...
  • Razorb
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    TENNISSSSS amazing work! ;(
  • Deozaan
    I just read through all 257 pages of this thread over the past week or so. Very inspiring and educational. Great work!
  • beancube
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    @beancube: Any specific reason you didn't mirror the faces?

Good point! haha - totally skipped my mind lol
    Ill see how it goes with mirroring and mipping on the iphone!
    Im sure it will be sweet, then ill be able to get different colored wood faces.
    Cheers.
  • Maph
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    @Tennis: Absolutely gorgeous! I really love your desaturated color tones, they're so oldschool and awesome. Would you be willing to do a timelapse for something like this? Pretty cute kitten please? :poly142:
  • Vegas
    Offline / Send Message
    Vegas polycounter lvl 9
    Cheers bbob, Tennis, drelectro, Spinal. I aim to please. More to come very soon.

kitetsu, that is an interesting model. You obviously have some cool ideas in your headspace. Keep it up mate, get them out of there, it all takes time.

Tennis, I second what Maph asked! I would love to see a timelapse for that awesome boat.
  • kitetsu
    Vegas: Thanks. I'm indeed taking my time on it, but some aren't impressed that I've taken a total of 12+ months just trying to perfect and polish her design while not having a sense of direction and finality in what exactly I want to achieve with her. I think any employer hiring me would say the same while putting up world-destroying frowns.
  • felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    beancube wrote: »
    Good point! haha - totally skipped my mind lol
    Ill see how it goes with mirroring and mipping on the iphone!
    Im sure it will be sweet, then ill be able to get different colored wood faces.
    Cheers.

Oh yeah, you mean, keeping the same texture size and using the extra space to make variations? Awesome, didn't even think of that, my mindset it usually to trim things down to a bare minimum (which ironically I fail to apply to my own models). :poly136:

You also have vertex painting going on there on the bottom of the top head?
  • Defaultsound
    Offline / Send Message
    Defaultsound polycounter lvl 14
    Here's a chain saw I'm working on. My real first attempt at low poly. So far I am pleased, couple of seam issues, although I'm not too worried and should look fine. Also baked a quick AO, needs re-baking as you can see there's a big black area on the saw.

0dSgW.png

Crits would be greatly accepted :)
  • Buppy
    Defaultsound, post wireframe and texture. Looks pretty cool though.
  • Defaultsound
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, here's the Wire and Texture at the moment. Modeling is fairly clean, although my UVs are poorly optimized, but I wasn't intending to use this model for a game. Next time I will approach with optimization in mind.

OkbvF.png

KmkDV.png
  • iniman
    Offline / Send Message
    iniman polycounter lvl 10
    This thread is always a surprise!! full of amazing workss!

Defaultsound: it's very cool! want to see a colored version keep it up!

Beancube: i like your voodoo statue it reminds me crash bandicoot!

now a model from me.
    byeeepplantbeauty.jpg
  • Giusepe
    Tennis wrote: »

lowpoly_boat.png

boat.gif

This boat is very impressive!
    Amazing texture work.
  • Defaultsound
    Offline / Send Message
    New WIP, added more to texture. Just one more part to texture then moving on to tweaking.

A3ZzD.png
  • ruberboy
    Offline / Send Message
    ruberboy polycounter lvl 10
  • Hatsya
    ^ Can you do Haruna special of the same chainsaw?
    kore-wa-zombie-desu-ka.jpg
    With her name on the chainsaw blade though :3
  • Deozaan
    Hi folks, this is my first attempt at a lowpoly model. I started with something very simple to try not to get overwhelmed.

I saw this earlier in this thread and decided to try to make something similar to this:

XzwpS.jpg

And this is what I ended up with:

ZUUtT.jpg

I know it sucks, that's why I'd really appreciate C&C. Also, can anyone tell me how to find the triangle count in Blender? Thanks!
  • Aerial_Knight
  • Defaultsound
    Offline / Send Message
    Deozaan wrote: »

I know it sucks, that's why I'd really appreciate C&C. Also, can anyone tell me how to find the triangle count in Blender? Thanks!

Here's a Blender tip for low poly, something I just found out.

fzHG5.png

So in the top right hand corner you have the vertices and face count (Basically triangles). When in object mode the count will count for every object in the scene. So if you want to find just one object's count go into edit mode for that object, and it will show in the top right hand corner.

As for lowpoly if you turn that Mipmaps off it will turn AA off in the viewport, making texturing a lot easier for updating. Beware unless you save the Mipmaps off as system defaults you will have to turn it off each time you open up your file. But that's not a big problem, just something to remember.
  • ruberboy
    Offline / Send Message
    ruberboy polycounter lvl 10
    Hi! Another tip for blender, If you want really crisp renders you have to disable the mipmap, interpolation and filter size in texture sampling options (in the texture options).

Even without antialias you get a bit of blur because of filtersize.

If you try to render without antialias sometimes you get the inside part a bit blurred, if you turn filtersize to minimum (0.10), then you get no mipmapping and no antialias and a really crisp result.

Defaultsound: Try to compare the render window facecount and the one on the interface, they are different because blender triangulates at render time I think.
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    ruberboy wrote: »
    Hi! Another tip for blender, If you want really crisp renders you have to disable the mipmap, interpolation and filter size in texture sampling options (in the texture options).

Even without antialias you get a bit of blur because of filtersize.

If you try to render without antialias sometimes you get the inside part a bit blurred, if you turn filtersize to minimum (0.10), then you get no mipmapping and no antialias and a really crisp result.

Defaultsound: Try to compare the render window facecount and the one on the interface, they are different because blender triangulates at render time I think.

Or just take a print screen of the viewport ^_^
  • Valandar
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Deozaan wrote: »
    Hi folks, this is my first attempt at a lowpoly model. I started with something very simple to try not to get overwhelmed.

I saw this earlier in this thread and decided to try to make something similar to this:

http://i.imgur.com/XzwpS.jpg

And this is what I ended up with:

http://i.imgur.com/ZUUtT.jpg

First thing that pops out at me is the shoulders on your version are a LOT smaller than the style you're copying.

Second thing is where the legs attach. On yours, it's a perfectly horizontal line, while on the others it's a V- shape.

Third is the arms are VERY long, and VERY skinny.

Fourth is the head isn't, well, head-shaped.
  • Deozaan
    So in the top right hand corner you have the vertices and face count (Basically triangles).

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought faces was equivalent to polygons. But if faces means tris then I guess this person has 114 tris.

Thanks to you (and others) for the general Blender tips as well. :thumbup:
    Valandar wrote: »
    First thing that pops out at me is the shoulders on your version are a LOT smaller than the style you're copying.

Second thing is where the legs attach. On yours, it's a perfectly horizontal line, while on the others it's a V- shape.

Third is the arms are VERY long, and VERY skinny.

Fourth is the head isn't, well, head-shaped.

Thanks for the crits. I gave the crotch/hips a V shape, attempted to resize the shoulders, tried to make the arms shorter and bulkier, and make the head more head-shaped. I also made the legs a little shorter and bulkier, as well.

Here's an update:

g1YRW.jpg

More C&C would be much appreciated. Especially regarding how the mesh looks for rigging purposes. (Note that for some reason the side view didn't show the second loop at the backside of the knee for some reason, but it is visible on the inner side of the leg from the perspective shot.)

Old mesh included for comparison:

ZUUtT.jpg
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Defaultsound: looks fun so far :). But did I see correctly that your texture is not square? i just opened it up in a new tab and it was 128, but did you just leave one side blank or something? maybe you could move the top strip to either side and scale it all up a notch?
  • Defaultsound
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir wrote: »
    Defaultsound: looks fun so far :). But did I see correctly that your texture is not square? i just opened it up in a new tab and it was 128, but did you just leave one side blank or something? maybe you could move the top strip to either side and scale it all up a notch?

It is square, but yes I did leave the side blank :\

Again I didn't have optimization in mind and I have only now realized that squaring off my UVs is the best method of doing things.

I'm probably just gonna finish the chainsaw as a practice and then I am thinking of doing a LowPoly scene that will consist of one 64x64 that contains the textures for the entire scene. In that scene I will properly aim for best UV space utilization and optimization.