Home General Discussion

Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn.

Replies

• Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    What's the point of taking something like Tintin, that is completely defined by its iconic style, and turning it into another realistic looking CG animation? I know the argument is that a mainstream audience wouldn't go and see a stylized, 2d animation adventure movie, but this is a pointless adaptation, at least from a visual perspective. Hopefully the scriptwriters - who have decent pedigree - can inject some life and humour into the script, but I'm very disappointed that they've gone down the Polar Express route with this. The fact that Imagemovers has just gone under should be a fairly strong hint that people are left cold by these kinds of mo-capped, dead-eyed Uncanny Valley dwellers. Herge must be spinning in his grave...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    This leaves me wondering ... are you guys familiar with the animated TV series ? Incredibly faithful to the original. Got some very found memories of watching not too long ago ...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR99XaeeXwM[/ame]

Good stuff!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I dont like the tone. I dont know if the comic ever felt anything like these clips.

It would of been better if they went with a style similar to The Incredibles I think.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    is the film as racist as the series?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I don't remember the series being racist beyond the odd stereotypical foreign character.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    pior wrote: »
    This leaves me wondering ... are you guys familiar with the animated TV series ? Incredibly faithful to the original. Got some very found memories of watching not too long ago ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR99XaeeXwM

Good stuff!

I loved watching these as a kid, they always dragged you into the story like it should be.

@almighty_gir: the series were never racist iirc, if you refer towards the comicbooks then you need to realize that the first ones were made around the 1930's.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Loved the tv series and books as a kid (still do) and I'm really looking forward to the film.

I don't consider the series racist either. Herge himself said during his last years that he regretted how he'd portrayed the africans in Tintin in Congo for example which is arguably the most racist (by modern western standards) of the Tintin books.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    mad respect to tintin and all, but you guys really do need to go back and check out the original books if you don't think it has some racist undertones. : ) It's already well documented, including the reissues that replaced the original 'offensive' art. It's actually really quite interesting, and its easy to blame some of it on naivety on Herg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I loved watching these as a kid, they always dragged you into the story like it should be.

@almighty_gir: the series were never racist iirc, if you refer towards the comicbooks then you need to realize that the first ones were made around the 1930's.

hey man, racist is racist.

doesn't mean it's not funny, or a good read though!
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    pior wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR99XaeeXwM

Good stuff!

The original cartoons were awesome. I think I've still got a few lying around on VHS. :)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks so good! But a little bit creppy at times such is the realism of the characters.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNSXxIH_uRI[/ame]
    My criticisms still remain, but this is starting to look pretty good.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Everyone complains about this movie as of now, but these very same people will be the ones at the midnight screening, watching it 3 times.
  • Mir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mir polycounter lvl 6
    Been a fan of Tintin since i was a kid so definitely gonna watch it!
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    i am a tad bit disappointed..but man..im a huge fan of tintin..and this is the most anticipated movie for me...
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Maybe it's not entirely faithful to the comics but it still looks like fun. I'm all for entirely 3d animated action movies that aren't initially intended for children.
    Also as for Tintin being racist see;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tintin_in_the_Congo
    "Tintin in the Congo has also been criticised for its treatment of Congolese wildlife, with Tintin taking part in "the wholesale and gratuitous slaughter" of animals by shooting several antelope, killing an ape to wear its skin, injuring an elephant, stoning a buffalo, and (in earlier editions) exploding a rhinoceros from within using dynamite."
    It's always fun to read about what assholes these old heroes actually are... also Milou's name is "snowie"? :/
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Ah the old debate about Herg
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    is the film as racist as the series?
    considering that the series was made in the 1930s and the movie is being made in 2011 I think we can venture a guess.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    God damnit, no! Another trailer that seeks to spoil half the plot! At least I'm interested now.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Everyone was racist in the 1930s it was the in thing(when I say everyone I dont really mean everyone, ok).

I dont like the animation, its kind of floaty, and theres lots of contrived situations. I'm sure it'll be great though.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right up there with Cloche Hats and two-toned brogues.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnl6WlEjQWQ"]The Adventures of Tintin Trailer 2 Official 2011 [HD] - Daniel Craig, Simon Pegg - YouTube[/ame]

Ooo
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Noors wrote: »
    h-20-1190329-1210169635.jpg

haha I love this one, he surely regret what he did. and make this awesome volume. one of my favorite from him.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    i only read tintin for the racism, not sure what you guys are complaining about
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    If I remember right ( haven't read it since the early 80's ) the africans were portrayed as monkeys.
    personally when I want to feel reduced to an ornament/caricature I just rent breakfast at tiffanys :nerd: ( it's especially fun to watch with your children for the first time. hah! what fun.. )
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    I'm super excited, and I'm not too bothered with the art style.

It must be a bit of a side-effect of being 3d artists to be so critical and find uncanny valleys so quickly. I'm pretty good at switching certain parts of my brain off to enjoy... pretty much anything... (I can totally appreciate Final Fantasy: Spirits Within for instance)

Also I don't know if anybody else mentioned this, but apart from realistic cg being the 'in-thing" at the moment so is depth 3D with glasses since Avatar. You can't make too convincing '3D' 2D animated movies to charge more for.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    I totally agree with perna. I loved the movie, while the first moment i saw tintin was somewhat strange, after a minute or lets say 5 minutes you are absolutely in the universe, the look is great, the rendering is great, pretty much every character was an actual character and not the generic crap Pixar and Dreamworks tend to do for their non story related characters.
    Everything was so full of life and vibrant, the animations where great besides some stiff looking ones - the action is very well composed. They have awesome cameraangles, very sweet cuts. Overall it just raised the bar by quite a bit higher, really a must see movie.
    Especially because it feels like a cool oldschool Actionmovie, like some of the old Indiana Jones movies.

Don't get me started on the hair, it was beautifull and the colorpalette and...

well i was pretty much blown away

also by the 3d, i usually hate 3d in movies, its annoyingly distracting, you have to concentrate much more while watching. And i already was like "ah this is going to suck" when i saw the trailers upfront. But I almost never searched for the focus, the cuts and blends are very well made for 3d, and there are only a few rare occasions where something comes out of the screen. Most of the time you just look like through a window into the scene, much less annoying than how 3d is made most of the time, like

WE CAN DO 3D SO TAKE IT IN YOUR FACE BITCH

also no too fast 3d action, often times with those modern movies its really hard to follow the choreography because of it beeing too fast but not playing with enough frames, super annoying in 3d

okay gonna stop here, i think i might even watch it again just to see what going on in the background besides the main story because it felt so rich and well done i'm pretty sure i missed a lot of nicely done details.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Noors wrote: »
    h-20-1190329-1210169635.jpg

That mummy was so damn scary when I was a kid...
    Honestly don't see how that one is racist .. it's an evil aztec mummy come to life?
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
    This movie was totally enjoyable from start to end, had also get used to the artstyle first but in the end it just fits, with Rango prolly one of the movies i liked most watching this year. Only little nitpick compared to the comics its a bit tame, needs more Haddock swearing.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I saw the trailer for this last night before Puss in Boots, and i am excited for this movie. Looks really awesome. If it has character development in a good story. I bet it will be great.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
    This film was badass! :) When you get over how creepy it is how real the characters look.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omg been living under a rock because of school work didnt even know it was out! im gonna find time this weekend to go watch it yay +_+~