Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Next Gen character

Replies

• LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I have definitely moved towards thecliche, but I think it works better overall now. I wasn't getting the proportions right on the thicker body type.

Some work on the armor. Think I'm going to polish everything up and call it done for the modeling. Except for the hair that I have no real idea how to go about doing.

week12.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    awesome progress dude :). first images seem nothing compared to what you're posting now.
    Have you seen this tutorial by Paul Tosca?
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing progress. Keep it up!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Don't mind the terrible boots.

21ayds2.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I think her belt looks a bit like a vagina. A very scary don't-want-to-stick-anything-in-there vagina.

Vambraces and collar look nice though.
  • bubbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and a quick note, if you search for female body builders, they all seem to have small breasts...so maybe you want to do that
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    bubbie wrote: »
    Oh and a quick note, if you search for female body builders, they all seem to have small breasts...so maybe you want to do that

Small breasted female video game characters?!

Blasphemy!
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    bubbie wrote: »
    not true because a lot of them get breast implants due to the testosterone which makes them have no breast.

So they either have no breast or huge fake fun bags
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    brandoom wrote: »
    Small breasted female video game characters?!

Blasphemy!

Quoted for truth.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Haha, point taken.

I've actually heard that comment about the belt before, something along the lines of monster camel toe. :)

Finished up the back of the armor. Need to work on the boots and clean some stuff up.

armorcloseup.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Not bad dude! This has some cool design elements going on.
  • prolow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    prolow polycounter lvl 11
    coming along really nicely lroy
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Well, I think I'm done blocking everything out. Just going to polish it up and make the lowpoly if there are no major issues?

week15.jpg

topdown.jpg
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    I think the armor around the chest looks great. Basically everything above the knee looks really good and I think you could call it done but I think the ankles and feet could use a little love.

The pant leg just ends and then there's these funky sneakers, the shoes/boots don't really feel like they're part of the piece right now.

I think it's looking great otherwise.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Haha can't get anything past you guys. Going to work on the boots to make them look more like the rest of the armor and tweak the neck part of the chestpeice.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great work for a first character, seriously very impressive.

crits: the design is pretty weak at the moment, as others have said the elements in the upper and lower body dont match up at all, and it dosnt seem like a cohesive piece to me, try bouncing your ideas around in here before starting your model. also, your body seems pretty awkward for a female. the arms are a bit heavy and it could use a bit more definition overall. great start tho man, i mean it.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I think I'm pretty close, but a lot of things seem off and I lose the ability to spot them after ... 80 or so saves. :) It's good to have fresh eyes looking at it.

I'll work on making it fit together more and the anatomy. It was also brought to my attention that there is no way her head could fit into the chestpeice, so that needs to be accounted for, too.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Update on where I am so far.

det1z.jpg

det2c.jpg

det3.jpg

det4.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Made some small updates. Hands are still a wip.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    Her ass is still way too big/high.
  • thegreyman1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thegreyman1 polycounter lvl 11
    her thighs are still way too thick and her buttocks (lol) should be much, much smaller, don't ask why i know this but fitter women always have a smaller ass. Also her legs from the knee down should be a little longer. Her girth from the rib cage to the back (as in your side shot above)should be a little thinner.

Great muscle tone and definition though you've done a great job on the shape now you just need to get the proportions right and thats just practice.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I may or may not have a thing for big asses. I might have gone overboard though ha

Here's a full shot.

det5t.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good!

How did you make the hexagons on the legs like that? Was that in zbrush?
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    hey LRoy, chick has been comin along nicely, diggin the future egyptian thing you're devloping

did a quickie paintover, nothin huge, just some thoughts... hope it helps!

notes:
    -shorter neck
    -make the chest piece act more like a pushup bra, right now it looks like its smashin the boobs against the chest
    -shallower crotch
    -straighten legs a little
    -some other stuff

lroycrit.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Made some changes. Added upper part to her costume.

jsuit.jpg
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    good progress so far, but I think it's better to make a very tight and pinched folds on thigns, or not make them at all - ruins the surface, looks unpretty, like an old woman skin.
  • af3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    af3d polycounter lvl 10
    the upper arm needs to be given some extra girth, the arms are way too thin for how broad her shoulders and torso are. I also vouch for slipgatecentral. The cleavage area needs some work too, look up some reference, you may enjoy it. This character could really use some asymmetry.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the comments guys. I tried working things over again to your suggestions. Spent the last 4 hours redoing the wrinkles and still can't get them right. Argg
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    looks better!
    folds are hard to do, don't be frustrated too much
    spend some time to google images of leather/latex women pants, wetsuits or something like that
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    women in latex.. i.e. deviantart
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Updates. Think I'm about done now and gonna start on the lowpoly. Two days of wrinkles has kinda burned me out

headshot.jpg

frontback.jpg

I agree with the assymetry comment but I'm not sure how to do it at this stage. It started out as more of a test then kind of evolved into a full character.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    So trying to get her done before joining one of the competitions. She'll probably end up being around 18k tris. Is this way too high? I tried keep a lot of the armor in the lowpoly, but I may have overdone it.

Gonna do some paintovers and figure out a hairstyle.

wireframe.jpg
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Duuude! This has come leaps and bounds from where you started. Very nice work!
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    LRoy wrote: »
    So trying to get her done before joining one of the competitions. She'll probably end up being around 18k tris. Is this way too high? I tried keep a lot of the armor in the lowpoly, but I may have overdone it.

18K is pushing it quite at bit. Especially for as simple as the character basically is.

Uncharted is the only game I know of (besides some of the tournament fighting games) that goes that high or higher.

This is a thread that gives the polygon counts for different games regarding characters and such. It would be good for you to check out.

The boots and gauntlets look like they could be done with much fewer polygons, and I suspect the face could be as well. Much of that detail in the gauntlets and boots can be baked in with a normal map. Your low poly should just focus on matching the silhouette of the character, anything not contributing directly to that silhouette can be handled just fine on the normal map.

Take your highpoly and just get the outline of it from several different directions - front, 3/4s, side - and make your low poly fit those - don't get distracted modeling out holes and rivets.

Also check out the Dominance War stuff going on right now and see how much artist's are getting done with a 3000 tri limit.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Have been working mostly on my brawl character but decided to jump back to this one for a little. Got the lowpoly down to 10k and reworked her proportions. She was a little too bulky I think. Hopefully her forms look a bit better. Hair is just so I can stop staring at a bald chick all the time.

rework.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you know, dispite the things i still don't like about your latest update (mostly aesthetics).

this thread is a great example of listening to critiques and learning along the way. the difference between your original post, and now, is huge.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Looking good. I think her legs could be a bit longer though (particularly the lower legs).

As far as the actual design goes, I'm not sure about the collar area. Maybe it's just the bulk of the transition area between the parts covering her chest and the collar. It creates a rather unflattering silhouette because it thickens the collar area so much while the rest of the figure is relatively sleek. Could just be me though :D
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Worked on the leg proportions. Little to late to retweak the collar I think since the lowpoly is just about done. will definitely focus more on silhouette for my next project though.

hairij.jpg
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work mate, i especially like the shape on the boots.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks. Tried working them a little more. Playing with colors now.

finalhair.jpg

finalfbw.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Got her down to 8k now. Is there preferred way to display wireframes or is a Maya screengrab ok for my portfolio?

finaltopology.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Getting a lot of weirdness going on with the lowpoly. Does anyone know why this is happening? Tried playing with the normals but it didn't resolve anything.

Is it the topology?

facetrouble.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Here's my first bakes.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Loving the details on this. Bake looks pretty good
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys. This is the direction I'm going in. Just starting working on the leather. I realized now her cleavage needs more texture space since it draws the eye. Am I SOL here or is there a way to fix that without redoing all my maps?
  • MoreDread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crap why didn't i see that there are more pages already.. ignore this

on second thought i might just post what i said anyway...
    however keep in mind that this is about the anatomy.. i had only seen the pics up to the point where you started adding armor when i wrote this.

nice progress.

the shoulders are too wide and the upper back muscles are too exaggerated.. this is what's makin her look so manly.
    theres no gravity on the boobs... smooth out the top and drag the center of mass down some
    pear shape, not inflated baloons that are pressed to the chest by an invisible force is what you need.
    the upper legs are still a little too thick and the butt a tad too big.

if you get these sorted out it'll look much better.

now you're well beyond that stage already and i really like the details you have added since then... but most of these issues still persist so i might as well mention them.

some of them were adressed already, yet could still be improved on a little.
    the shoulders look alot better for example, but the butt is still huge.

just keep this in mind for your next female model.

what i do in a situation like that is duplicate the model, redo the UV maps and bake the texture from the old onto the one with the new layout...

this will cause distortions on the new map, but at least that way you don't have to redo the whole thing.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Where were you three pages ago! haha thanks for the indepth feedback. Tried playing around with some of the proportions some more. I think the biggest problem I had was that I went into it with a few ideas to exaggerate the anatomy (thick legs) but got carried away with it and got too far from realistic. I'm going to try and stick to proper anatomy before going off in my own direction next time.

Some updates with where I'm at now. Lots of fixing up to do. Mostly worked on the face and chestpeice. Having a lot of trouble with the honeycomb part of the pants. The tiling is stretched in some places. I also failed pretty hard at getting a latex/plasticy look to it.

text2a.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Can't thank all you guys enough for all the feedback. I've learned way more here than I ever did in school. Here is the final update. She is 9k tris.

turnaround.jpg

wiresm.jpg
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    I'm blown away with your progress in this thread.