Home General Discussion

What kind of hobbies do PCers have?

Replies

• Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Hm, I play the flute; read; write; go to college ("hobby"); and, well, 3D model.
    And a million other things that don't matter.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    - travelling
    - dining (yumm so many choices here in shanghai)
    - photography (you can tell from my pictures it's a hobby :/ )
    - wanting to oil paint again, this by itself has become a hobby (or obsession?) since my apartment is too small (or too nice) to actually mess around with oil paints :(
    - coding with Qt and Python. I just love how quickly you can hack together all kinds of useful stuff, and I have so many ideas
    - gaming (kinda casual atm)
  • Mezz
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    - BAKING! Love it. Not so much cooking... I hope to take a baking class sometime soon :)

- Knitting! It's relaxing while watching TV. But I need to get better. I have WAY too many scarves and nothing else.

- Getting back to traditional art mediums (once in a while). Currently finishing up an acrylic painting :D

- Other of the usuals: Gaming, reading, watching TV, shopping, hanging with friends, SLEEP! and Eating? :D
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Mezz wrote: »
    - BAKING! Love it. Not so much cooking... I hope to take a baking class sometime soon :)

- Knitting! It's relaxing while watching TV. But I need to get better. I have WAY too many scarves and nothing else.

- Getting back to traditional art mediums (once in a while). Currently finishing up an acrylic painting :D

- Other of the usuals: Gaming, reading, watching TV, shopping, hanging with friends, SLEEP! and Eating? :D

'sup baking buddy?

I LOVE to cook. I do it 2-3x a week, and I can't cook without making a dessert.

Salted caramels with chocolate ganache and chocolate crust.
    154154_458261627745_554122745_6112683_6474167_n.jpg

philo dough with broccoli tart and prosciutto, leeks, and goat cheese.
    32532_402572877745_554122745_4904210_2531674_n.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    +1 for baking.

Ben are those silicone cupcake cases? What're they like? I keep seeing them at our local cook shop and have been meaning to check them out.

So enjoyable though, my partner and I love baking, usually cupcakes, cookies and Macarons!
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Hmmm so much.

I'm trying to read more and have amassed a collection of classic novels and books relating to by interests to get through.

I'm also trying to do more traditional art. I've found it hard to motivate myself to draw (loved it when I was younger) so I've been taking up sculpting, which I've loved so far.

Like DKK ^ I also want to get into woodworking and make tangible useful stuff that is't just in the digital domain. I think 3D skills can translate well. but there's so much to learn and I can see it as a long road ahead.

Photography
    Film
    Playing games

NEED MORE TIME. Someone slow it down please.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    -Coding/coding for games
    -Learning 2d 3d arts
    -Maths
    -Video games
    -Reading novels (right now its R.A Salvator Forgotten realms: Homeland (legend of Drizzt)
    -Writing story lines.
    -Cooking on very very very rare occasions.
    -Listening to music (medieval times)
    -Learning about Medieval times. Helps one to combine his/her own fantasy with the setting.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 for baking.

Ben are those silicone cupcake cases? What're they like? I keep seeing them at our local cook shop and have been meaning to check them out.

They are, and honestly they are 100x better than cupcake trays. They are a slight pain to wash, but you can cook 30 cupcakes at once by putting them all close together. They seem to come off more easily also. I loooove them and want more!
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    God damn Ben, that broccoli and prosciutto tart looks good. You guys making your own stollen this year?
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    I collect resin kits from Takayuki Takeya, these things go for quite allot on ebay when they are unbuilt. I have 7 now, 6 are unbuilt, one is built but not painted yet.
  • Neox
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    COOKING! not so much baking, that's gaystuff - oh well :D

gonna cook a christmas dinner this weekend for 30 people, damn a hell lot of work ahead, not sure if i can call this a hobby anymore ^^
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    - I train muay-thai a couple of times every week, goes to the gym occasionally.
    - Also been taking some sculpting and sketching classes.
    - Plays a lot of PS3
    - Drink and collect rum!
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    For me, during the winter it's snowboarding for sure. I've been riding for the past 7-8 years now. And now since I have a job, I can afford the trip to more distant mountains.
    I absolutely love winter! :)

In the summer, it depends. I guess it boils down to 3D, being with friends, longboarding, and... uh... yeah.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I was going to type something, but then realized how boring and work oriented my life is! ;O
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    same as gonzo:)
  • samgriffiths
    At the moment I don't have much free time atall, but what I would like to have as hobbies are;

Gym
    Rock climbing
    Extreme survival
    Camping & Hiking
    Traveling

n all the other normal stuff in life like socializing
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    Extreme survival
    Camping & Hiking

Definitely agree with this. I'm looking to get more into wilderness survival techniques when I get to the States. I've always been interested in stuff like this, and let's face it, we need to be ready for the zombies.

Fun little quiz.
  • samgriffiths
    danshewan wrote: »
    Definitely agree with this. I'm looking to get more into wilderness survival techniques when I get to the States. I've always been interested in stuff like this, and let's face it, we need to be ready for the zombies.

Fun little quiz.

dude this is what I tell everyone, we are gonna have an apocalypse or something similar real soon and we gotta be ready. This is why I go to the gym, because I have a better chance killing a large mutated dog then someone smaller!
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    dude this is what I tell everyone, we are gonna have an apocalypse or something similar real soon and we gotta be ready. This is why I go to the gym, because I have a better chance killing a large mutated dog then someone smaller!

All jokes about zombie apocalypses aside, real survival skills would be invaluable in the wake of a natural disaster or terrorist attack or something. I guess it's pretty difficult to talk about situational preparedness and extreme survival techniques without coming across as some kind of paranoid militant revolutionary. Searches online for 'extreme survival techniques' yield up some pretty terrifying results. :)

Since you're already in Scotland, this place is supposed to be pretty good in terms of introductory survival courses. I think you'd struggle to find a more inhospitable environment in the UK than rural Scotland in the winter.
  • Tom Ellis
    They are, and honestly they are 100x better than cupcake trays. They are a slight pain to wash, but you can cook 30 cupcakes at once by putting them all close together. They seem to come off more easily also. I loooove them and want more!

Awesome, looks like I'll have to pick some up next time then!
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Love to cook.
    Play some games (shocking!)
    and i also dabble in competitive drinking.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    DKK: Awesome dude, share your results when you finish up the vacuum form table!

I might of posted this a while back, this was back when I had a music page on myspace as Dr. Node:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8TMlZlei60[/ame]
  • fr0gg1e
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    Procrastinating
    watching shit ton of movies
    beta testing software with shitty tests noone get to see as they are so ugly
    training people at work (yes it's a hobby to me I love this stuff)
    Music of all kind extraordinaire (looking for new stuff to listen all the time,such a snob in this...Wish someone would show me how to make some at some point)
    Drinking with friends and various partying / bar marathons (and making friend with the staff usually)
    Making cocktails at parties
    Crossfit, when not broke because of the above (oh how I want to get back to it) gotta love those crushing kettlebells (or not)
    making small talks to strangers / makes strangers laugh (at me or with me) everywhere from random street encounters to awkward moments in work's elevators (I love this shit)
    Wandering in the streets of Montreal a smile on my face and get smiled back at

I wish my job would allow me to meet more people...But not sure what king of job I could to to mary gfx and meeting people (maybe teacher?)
  • fmnoor
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Mostly alcohol
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan wrote: »
    God damn Ben, that broccoli and prosciutto tart looks good. You guys making your own stollen this year?

Already made one, but it didn't have time to age. Making another tonight so it can properly rest for 2 weeks before Christmas. :-)
  • breakneck
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    DKK, nice looking guitar. I built a electric guitar with a through the body neck. Butterflied flamed maple top, walnut accent with and alder bottom - - super pimp. its so awesome to construct your own music making machine.

my main hobby - teaching this little dude all the awesome things I know:
    dude_your_awesome.jpg

best hobby I've ever had :P
  • Thyandir17
    Games...
    Aswell as Movies, cameras, storyboards. Film in general.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Not wearing pants. It's a major hobby of mine.
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    adam wrote: »
    Not wearing pants. It's a major hobby of mine.

guess you don't have too many pants parties.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Doing 3D Art, playing video games and doing absolutely anything with friends since clearly my life revolves around my job and I am so boring by not having cool hobbies like a lot of you ha.
  • Karmageddon
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    Hobbies?
    Sims and Fable, gym, coffee, anime, reading, drawing, photography for reference, wire sculpture, silent films, fortune-telling, and flipping off rude drivers. Wanting to pick up clay sculpture, oil painting and French.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    WOW a 2 year old thread back from the dead!
    DKK: Awesome dude, share your results when you finish up the vacuum form table!

I might of posted this a while back, this was back when I had a music page on myspace as Dr. Node:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8TMlZlei60

You might like Hexstatic.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIZSsND-BHc[/ame]

Still same for me.
    Art.
    Comic Books.
    Music.
    Games.

And RC Car Racing.

(Local Club Track Race at)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0OiVU_2Ur8[/ame]
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    doing some cooking, workout (though, not much lately), MTB trips in summer.
  • Cyrael
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    DKK wrote: »
    For sure, It'll be a while though, need to get a workbench and a tool cabinet built first, and then theres the matter of my senior wood work project, which I never finished.

geetar.jpg

It's all wired up, work's too, I just need to assemble the neck.

I just made one of these DKK! although mines made of polygons ;)

GuitarComposite_1.jpg
  • Cyrael
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    I'm actually huge into martial arts, it's pretty much the only past time I have besides work, movies and games... :(

oh and rock climbing. That's fun too.
    Mostly Alcohol

^that too.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Oxy: thanks, I'm always looking for more bands that use bent toys. Check out Gannon, he uses circuit bent instruments front and center instead of as accents. Check out his Speak & Spellcaster, a bent speak and spell combined with a guitar hero guitar

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTr_UwLBsY4[/ame]
  • oXYnary
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Extreme survival

guess that's some hobby that's actually useful when working in the games industry ;)
  • maze
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Quite interesting that alot of Polycounters have the same hobbies (outside of the realm of game stuff)

When the weather is nice, I like riding my motorcycle or wrenching on my project car. RC Cars too (Team Losi represent!) and woodsball. Big scenario fields a short drive away make for a great weekend. In the future Id like to get a sport pilot license and fly. :D
  • Jungsik
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    I love taking pictures

Going to Art Galleries

Going to Nightclubs

and Playing GAMES OFCOURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    commador wrote: »
    Quite interesting that alot of Polycounters have the same hobbies (outside of the realm of game stuff)

When the weather is nice, I like riding my motorcycle or wrenching on my project car. RC Cars too (Team Losi represent!) and woodsball. Big scenario fields a short drive away make for a great weekend. In the future Id like to get a sport pilot license and fly. :D

Im not a big Losi fan after the Losi family left. However, the 22 is pretty amazing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnATMuYiSUQ[/ame]

Losi22-3-400x316.jpg
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Big +1 to the CocoRosie thing. Saw them in concert recently. They are mega-talented.
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Technically game art is a hobby of mine but others include:

Reading about different religions
    Going to Bars and trying new Beers.
    Lately I've been doing doodle collages with my roommate, sometimes they follow a theme, other times they're just random. Most of the time they become obscene.
    Organizing themed potlucks, and cooking for people in general.
    Making up and recording music for fake bands from the 70's and 80's
    sewing unwearable and useless things
    DIY anything for the most part
    This past spring I took up upholstering, My first attempt was a chair that was proportioned to Giacometti's "L'Homme qui marche I", I figured after selling for so much on auction, the thing needed a rest from walking.It was apart of a series of work I am doing that is literally "Art for Art's Sake". Sadly, while moving out of my University Studio someone stole it.
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    rolling in piles of money with a womans genetalia attached to my face
  • Neox
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Already made one, but it didn't have time to age. Making another tonight so it can properly rest for 2 weeks before Christmas. :-)

damn i need to come to iceland and visit you just to try a piece, i just love stollen - with my dads roots in the erzgebirge its part of my blood i guess :D

seriously what i dislike about baking is the lack of impro ability, you can mess up so much with just slight changes, while its really hard to mess up cooking once you have the basic skills, from there it is a lot of improvising to get better.

however, have 10 liters of soup cooked, 4 kilos of red cabbage done, a huge bowl of sauce for a couple of hundred mini roulades prepared, 3 kilos of brussels sprouts cleaned and prepared, need to make the roulades tomorrow, make kilos of dumplings and spatzle - which will be a whole day of cooking, god damn why am i doing this?!:poly127:
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    71923_1574358391638_1015912325_1662593_2166831_n.jpg

and

29462_1409361306814_1015912325_1231508_192510_n.jpg

Not much free time right now, though.
  • Chemical Alia
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    I play classical piano when I get free time, I do Tf2 mod stuff, and I'm starting on my fifth language, yay.