Home General Discussion

Art Theft of Students

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
aestheticmachine polycounter lvl 10
hello, a friend notified me that this person is claiming work done by myself and my classmates as his own. he said he found the website from CA, which means it is possible he is an active part of this community as well. i am posting this as a warning to those who may have been considering hiring him for work.

the first image are screencaps of the website for proof, and the second image is a collection of our classwork.

2lxt8w8.jpg

2ywhaf9.jpg

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Yikes.. That is not cool!
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Hmm....interesting.

So this guy stole a whole classes work? Is there a blog or something the students were posting their work on that he could have gotten this from?
  • aestheticmachine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BlvdNights: afaik he stole from this current quarter's blog, but i'm not sure how much of his work is not his own. the fact he has access to our blogs means he was a student once, because you have to be invited via email to view them (as they aren't open to public viewing).
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    is it time for another rousing game of spot the stolen work?
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Whoah serious stuff, not good...did you talk to your teachers?
  • aestheticmachine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @lowodor: what a nightmare :D

@Jungsik: i posted it on our class blogspot, and will probably be taking it to the school in general. it seems he's attended CDA (which would be the only way he could have access to our blogs), and i highly doubt they would appreciate this kind of behavior.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Practically you can not do much about this. Since he isnt hired by anyone. Be sure to put your insignia in your arts to protect it at the least level.

I'd suggest that you should email this guy you are talking about and notify him of his doings. Also it's better if you tell him that you have told this theft of his to the major game art communities. If he fails to submit to you, you should speak with your professor, student councilors and find the best possible solution for it.

It's also best if you and your class mates dont post any art under your school blog (unless it is an assignment)

I am seeing this happened fourth time just for the 2d/3d arts.

Seriously I cant think anyone would be getting an interview based on someone else's work. I mean in my course one professor was really pissed off about this subject of stealing the assignments and all he said was "people who take part in plagiarism shall be pissed on and then get shot"

Actually I think the penalty of this false act is that the person wont get admission in any art college or any college in general. =\
  • aestheticmachine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minor update: Turns out he's taking indirectly from professionals as well, since those would be much easier to track than that of our nameless students.

his:
    http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/thescala/swamp.jpg

Daryl Mandryk (Turok)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/NeecH/junglescape02.jpg
  • aestheticmachine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nitewalkr: i know, i mostly wanted to warn about this guy. i am considering confronting him on his facebook or whatever. he has really dug his own grave, and unless he can redeem himself he's done all the work of ruining himself, on his own. sincerely, i am sad that he is doing this kind of thing.

regarding posting, we are only posting our schoolwork on the blogs. the fact he still has access after he's long gone means he knows how to go about this.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I mean to say is.. You shouldnt be sad, you should have evil grinns :3 and take him down instead of feeling bad for him. Guys like him do not learn, at all.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cant even believe if those concept art work is any of his really,

Maybe its just me but when you go to his blog, and look at the very last image
    one of my classmate said that that looks very familiar with the 'the ark' concept from brink.
    we compared it and its quiet similar, I do not know how much of a plagiarism that is but its obvious his style of concept work changes dramatically from each one.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I still don't understand why anyone would steal someone else's work and claim it as their own..okay you might get a job..but then what happens? You relocate across the country, start your new job and then realize you only know how to draw Inuyasha Fan Art, and even that sucks. It can't be to impress girls....................or can it?
  • aestheticmachine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nitewalkr: I guess you're right.. it's that it's a pity that it had to come to this.

Anyway, I took your advice and sent him a note on facebook asking him to take down our work (for starters) and to no longer claim future student work as his own.

If he doesn't respond within a day or two, will send a Cease and Desist.

To everyone else, thank you for your support and advice!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nitewalkr: I guess you're right.. it's that it's a pity that it had to come to this.

Anyway, I took your advice and sent him a note on facebook asking him to take down our work (for starters) and to no longer claim future student work as his own.

If he doesn't respond within a day or two, will send a Cease and Desist.

To everyone else, thank you for your support and advice!

so kind of you. :)

But have a second opinion from your professors and see if they agree on this action.

Personally I would feel pity for someone who has done this accidently for example you create an art and suddenly someone emails you and tell you that your art is similar to the art that person x has made. I would feel pity for him because he would have to go back to his work desk and rethink or something else. Which isn't much of a work but it is enough for him to earn people's sympathy.

If the person has done this intentionally then he hasn't earned anyone's sympathy, because he wasn't innocent to begin with.

Its kinda funny you know, you can think of countless art, take time and draw them out. The imagination is infinite in terms of doing that. But its a real ass hard work to copy someone's work and getting away with it. Its hard and pointless =\
  • aestheticmachine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nitewalkr: i understand that sentiment certainly, i know it happens to virtually everyone - the 'ohh dammit!' - it doesn't matter if you thought of it 'first', you have to go back to the drawing board.. :) Avatar invented catpeople, right?

but unfortunately with our friend, i don't think that's the case. although i suppose we should be flattered he took our work, hmm? it's just very hard for me to comprehend how someone can go, 'i'm going to take this which is not mine, and make it mine.' maybe this is karma for when i stole fish food for my fishies as a kid :D
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    ErichWK wrote: »
    I still don't understand why anyone would steal someone else's work and claim it as their own..okay you might get a job..but then what happens? You relocate across the country, start your new job and then realize you only know how to draw Inuyasha Fan Art, and even that sucks. It can't be to impress girls....................or can it?

You still need to pass the art test.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    I have seen a few nasty cases of this come across my desk,

One of the more concerning ones was, another team at the studio i then worked for had just signed an outsourcing studio based on a particular art test. I just happened to view said test a few weeks later and it was pretty obvious where most of the test had come from.

Anyway long story short, majority of said test ended up being from one of Bobotheseals qf3 (engineer model i think it was) models.

You can just imagine, signed contract, pressing deadline, big money , high profile port, ugliness followed.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey aestheticmachine, that's nasty man, actually forget facebook messages, I ll go straight in person to arrange those kind of situations... hope things get fixed for you soon.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    What's the point. When he gets a job he'll lack the skills to back up his folio and will get fired.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    LOL!

his:

water%20tower.jpg

Hey, i've seeen something like this before:

ca_001_foundersisland_full.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better he learn now how small the industry is...
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Slum: not only the obvious elements, but his lack of depth gives the appearance that his seagulls are the size of a Toruk. Where's Sully when you need him? Oh wait, there's his bitch banshee in the corner that he ditched to become Toruk Makto. Now that he's taken from Brink, I'll be waiting for some Avatar rip offs soon......
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    I hope something like this never happens to me. I'm horribly vengeful and will probably not stop till the potential thief quits the internet :I

Anyway, good luck solving it. Hope he learns a REAL lesson.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like he just made his facebook private and put this image as his profile pic:

157817_1174151631_986690_n.jpg

I like where this is going....

8z4kyr.jpg
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    He removed the page with all the 'borrowed' characters:
    http://artofscala.com/Creatures/index.html
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can't even go to his page now
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    His blog is down.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you guys think of any excuse that he could use where this would be acceptable?
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    BlvdNights wrote: »
    His blog is down.

Blog is now invite only, but site is still there for me. Though i don't see the stolen artwork, just the ripped off pieces.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Slum wrote: »
    He removed the page with all the 'borrowed' characters:
    http://artofscala.com/Creatures/index.html
    now we need him to removed the "borrowed concept art"
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Can you guys think of any excuse that he could use where this would be acceptable?

On one of my uni projects we have a folder of other peoples concept art, but it's a folder marked 'REFERENCE' and has the artists name as a file name for each piece. If we ever used them in a presentation we would reference each image used or get done for plagerism.

Basically, no. And passing it off as your own? Hell fucking no.

edit: In terms of painting from someone else's concept as reference, its very bad practice not to give the original artist credit or mention its a remake. It's not as serious as outright plagerism, but when its noticed you're going to look really bloody stupid for it.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

in hell
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Can I just check:

It's OK to use someone else's concept (and follow it exactly) to make a model for your portfolio right? Obviously NOT passing the concept off as yours, but just the model, and linking to the other persons concept.

Of course people do it in pimping+previews all the time and I've just started my own model on someone else's concept. Clearly that process is different as a concept artist is supposed to be coming up with original stuff right?

I just want to make sure it's not frowned upon as I want to be able to show that I can follow a concept closely and model it well.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori: This is not frowned upon. You are showing your ability to follow a concept. This is what you would be doing in a production environment. What you should do is hit the concept and expand upon it in little in impacting ways. This is not considered plagiarism as it is a different medium and also the process used in studios. Just, out of common courtesy, always ask for permission from the concept artist before presenting your model to the world at large.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    and also credit that concept artist where ever you post your work.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert wrote: »
    Just, out of common courtesy, always ask for permission from the concept artist before presenting your model to the world at large.

If the concept artist doesn't like that I'm using his concept art for a model should I then not use it?

Legally he doesn't have leg to stand on though right? As I'm not using my model for commercial purposes.

For instance if a 3D character artist created a Batman model for his PORTFOLIO and posted the model on his website he wouldn't be in trouble regarding licensing etc......Right? (OK Batmans an extreme example but it's still someone else's art).
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12

If stealing someone else's art got him laid. Then yes; he should be applauded for it and immortalized in stone as a prime example of the male species.

That said I'm off to a party. Let Pior know that I'm borrowing his folio and identity for the night...
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There's a bit of difference between modeling off a concept and modeling something inspired off someone else work.

You can model anything inspired by anyone else work, like snake/batman/aliens/gears of war, etc. But if you are going to "copy" a piece of concept art into 3D, you better ask permission, legally, its a bit iffy, but its still a dick move to model something that someone doesn't want you to model.

And the community is pretty small, if that character artist or any of his friends are working at a studio you apply at, and you did one of his concepts without asking or him saying no, you might not get the job.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If stealing someone else's art got him laid. Then yes; he should be applauded for it and immortalized in stone as a prime example of the male species.

That said I'm off to a party. Let Pior know that I'm borrowing his folio and identity for the night...

lolololol
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I would like to buy you a Zima good sir.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10

"Deviantart made me do it"
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah. Sorry to derail the thread. But I contacted someone on deviant art that has a nice concept I want to model. I was being very polite and said I thought the concept is great and that I wanted to model it to help me get a job. I would give him full credit for the concept and - if he allowed - post his concept along with my 3D model in my portfolio with a link to his portfolio, or his email, giving him full credit for the concept and promotion to any employers I apply to.

He seemed very sceptical and was trying to get me to buy a license to use his concept.

I get the impression from his other work he's just a hobbyist artist and that the concept wasn't used for anything else but his own art making pleasure.

What I'm thinking is it's ok for me to use the concept for my model anyway, and say in my portfolio the concept isn't mine, and link to the image on Deviant Art, but NOT show his concept image in my portfolio.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    errrr if the artists says you cant use his concept you shouldnt really use it fomori...
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Fomori wrote: »
    What I'm thinking is it's ok for me to use the concept for my model anyway, and say in my portfolio the concept isn't mine, and link to the image on Deviant Art, but NOT show his concept image in my portfolio.
    He has the copyright to his concepts, so you can't use them without permission unless you can defend your use as parody. I believe he'd legally have the right to sue you.

Of course, the chance of that is nihil, but it's a small industry - best to keep on everyone's good side. I'd advise you to look for some other concept, since most artists would be honoured if you'd model something after their concepts.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori: There's plenty of other concepts in the ocean of the internets.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori wrote: »
    Yeah. Sorry to derail the thread. But I contacted someone on deviant art that has a nice concept I want to model. I was being very polite and said I thought the concept is great and that I wanted to model it to help me get a job. I would give him full credit for the concept and - if he allowed - post his concept along with my 3D model in my portfolio with a link to his portfolio, or his email, giving him full credit for the concept and promotion to any employers I apply to.

He seemed very sceptical and was trying to get me to buy a license to use his concept.

I get the impression from his other work he's just a hobbyist artist and that the concept wasn't used for anything else but his own art making pleasure.

if you contacted him and he was acting sketch, then i would be the bigger person and say that you understand their position so you are not going to proceed with modeling from their concept art.

don't model it. find something else that inspires you and go from there. there's tons of concept art out there to inspire or model from to show off your skills.

regardless of how awesome you think the concept is, respect their wishes and move onto something else.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmmm. It definitely seems like a massive grey area. There's a lot of 3D artists using other peoples concepts that they clearly show isn't their own and link to the concept, but I would likely guess don't actually contact the artist to ask if it's OK. Maybe even the safest bet is not to contact the original concept artist in case of a challenge. I doubt anything would stretch legally though. Depends on the individuals moral compass I suppose....Thanks for your opinions though.

I guess there is a lot of (concept) fish out there and it's just finding one that bites.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah Fomori, I wouldn't model it. Especially not after he explicitly told you you can't.

Also - I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a bit. On some of the pieces, like the Turok one, it looks as if he's splicing work together to make his own work. Similar to the way we splice images from CGtexture together into nice whatevers. So It's possible that he believes those pieces (like turok) are okay to call his own work. He doesn't see them as stolen work, he sees them as collages.

He should still be firmly informed that this is not how it's done, though.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    Yeah Fomori, I wouldn't model it. Especially not after he explicitly told you you can't.

Also - I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a bit. On some of the pieces, like the Turok one, it looks as if he's splicing work together to make his own work. Similar to the way we splice images from CGtexture together into nice whatevers. So It's possible that he believes those pieces (like turok) are okay to call his own work. He doesn't see them as stolen work, he sees them as collages.

He should still be firmly informed that this is not how it's done, though.

If you look at the screenshot of his blog the OP posted, you'll see that the background of "his" turok concept art is the same as the one on the front page, with a different figure instead of the guy with a gun.

And regardless, that's one piece of work. The one's where he painted over are really the stinging point.