Home General Discussion

Art Theft of Students

Replies

• Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Fomori: hmmmm, i would be careful here in assuming other people that do have 3d art based on links to existing concept work didn't actually contact the concept artist. that's an awful lot of speculation and a path i wouldn't recommend following.

personally, i have always thought it the right thing to do. i have contacted the concept artist of every piece in my folio that relates to the concept work of someone else before proceeding with modeling or posting it on the web. i have never worked off of someone else's steam without their permission and have never had any quarrels like the one you are describing. you just happened to run into a concept artist that wanted to keep their work their own, and they have every right to do so.

if you play nice and be respectful, you'll avoid ending up like the dude at the topic of this thread. you'll also start a nice network of other artists you can talk to (case in point). if they like how well you did with your interpretation of the concept, then you just earned a new artist buddy achievable. more importantly, they will be the best critique of the work you are doing as they probably hold a lot of their personal work near and dear to their heart.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    [HP] wrote: »
    You still need to pass the art test.

some studios dont do art tests :(
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik wrote: »
    : O

lol yea i started getting worried myself, ive asked for permission from everyone who ive used concept art for and always always reference them for the concept
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    He was just banned on ConceptArt.org

towens.jpg
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    You can see clearly his style of painting the using of color is totally random. Some look like leventep,mandryk,dylan cole etc. All is coming from big artists, I dont think a game company will get easily scammed.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    BlvdNights wrote: »

popcorn_ball_01.jpg
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Fomori wrote: »
    What I'm thinking is it's ok for me to use the concept for my model anyway, and say in my portfolio the concept isn't mine, and link to the image on Deviant Art, but NOT show his concept image in my portfolio.

2/3 of the concept artists I have asked to reproduce from also turned out to be AD's.
    I'd sure hate to piss off a potential future boss...
    Besides even the guys who turned me down (that are professionals) always thanked me for asking instead of just ganking.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    What I'm thinking is it's ok for me to use the concept for my model anyway, and say in my portfolio the concept isn't mine, and link to the image on Deviant Art, but NOT show his concept image in my portfolio.

Dont be a fool. If he did not say it was ok just dont do it. No need to bring any kind of drama to yourself when there are thousands of other concepts out there. What good can you see coming out of using his concept when he dosnt want you too?

Furthermore what was the point in asking him if you could use his concept if you plan to use it no mater what? Thats just you trying to act in good faith to give off the impression that your a good guy when your not. I doubt you would like it if someone wanted to do some work based off what you had done, maybe for any number of reasons you didnt want them too and they did anyway. I'm sure you wouldnt feel awesome about that.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    I never asked for permission to do art based off someones concepts. I never really thought about it. However, from now on, im def gonna do that. Thx guys!

Also, this thread is particularly entertaining.
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    well... this guy is a dick
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • aestheticmachine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aestheticmachine polycounter lvl 10
    no apologies, nothing. he's just trying to hide his tracks, albeit poorly. i don't think any sympathy is necessary.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Autocon wrote: »
    Dont be a fool. If he did not say it was ok just dont do it. No need to bring any kind of drama to yourself when there are thousands of other concepts out there. What good can you see coming out of using his concept when he dosnt want you too?

Furthermore what was the point in asking him if you could use his concept if you plan to use it no mater what? Thats just you trying to act in good faith to give off the impression that your a good guy when your not. I doubt you would like it if someone wanted to do some work based off what you had done, maybe for any number of reasons you didnt want them too and they did anyway. I'm sure you wouldnt feel awesome about that.

Well I'm still in discussion about it with the artist. My problem is that he wants me to give him money to LICENSE his art to produce a 3D model from it. I think I would be willing to pay a reasonable price, maybe a couple hours freelance wage, as that's how long I think it took him to produce his image. But this is NON COMMERCIAL use, so in a way I think I shouldn't pay as much as a studio using it for it's game art. But it's up to him to set his price.

I asked him because I assumed it would be cool, and he would like to know, so I can share my developments. I genuinely thought he would like my positive comments and enthusiasm for building upon his concept and helping to promote his work. That's not the reception I got and in a way I can see where he's coming from. I would be happy with a reasonable fee.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Autocon wrote: »
    Thats just you trying to act in good faith to give off the impression that your a good guy when your not.

I am a good guy by the way fellow polycounter :poly121:
  • Rilem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rilem polycounter lvl 7
    So what are the chances of scaring this guy out of the industry? He might just pop up under a different name, with the exact same stolen work :/
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    I genuinely thought he would like my positive comments and enthusiasm for building upon his concept and helping to promote his work. That's not the reception I got and in a way I can see where he's coming from.

Thats just the way it goes man. Win some lose some. Personally I'd drop it when he asked for cash and find a new piece, there are tons of great concept artists with pieces that are more than happy to lend the use of their concepts to 3d recreation...for free

(and its hard to beat the awesome low low price of free.)
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm still in discussion about it with the artist. My problem is that he wants me to give him money to LICENSE his art to produce a 3D model from it. I think I would be willing to pay a reasonable price, maybe a couple hours freelance wage, as that's how long I think it took him to produce his image.

ehh....That just sounds like a waste of money. I'd only pay for it if I'm hanging it up on a wall.

Get over it, dude. Move on to something else. It's not worth all the effort.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    no apologies, nothing. he's just trying to hide his tracks, albeit poorly. i don't think any sympathy is necessary.

Didnt I tell you this 2 pages ago? :)

you should send that letter to him asap now.

well... this guy is a dick

Thank you for stating the obvious :D
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is he going to need a rape whistle?

7273-BLOWME.jpg
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I think at this time Conceptart.org, Polycount.com, Gameartisans.org should start selling tracking art thief devices and baseball bats on their e-shop.

This may resolve this problem once and for all.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    vofff wrote: »
    You can see clearly his style of painting the using of color is totally random. Some look like leventep,mandryk,dylan cole etc. All is coming from big artists, I dont think a game company will get easily scammed.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that, even when artist are going for a different look (ex. cartoony or realistic) they have specific style tendencies that always creep though. Like certain colors, brush strokes etc, but I can't really find much of that here.
  • aestheticmachine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • aestheticmachine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well his website is taken down, although his DA is still up... I guess that's a great start :) Until he has the humility to come forth and apologize and so on (even if it's insincere), I say have at thee.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6

towens.jpg

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights your pictures make my day : D
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, this is rape.

Polycount seems to have so much power in this art world, don't you guys think?

This thread gets made, 12 hours later he has taken his site down completely and is banned at the largest concept art site.

The industry is so small, a name gets burned in your mind it won't leave for a while :P
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13

ouch!!!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    wow you guys are abit dramatic I mean stealing art is bad but its over he's banned. Nothing else to do that isn't done now,right.

well this is the kind of shit you get fired or sued over... so no, not being over dramatic.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats wrong with the picture? :P its awesome
    tbh i think he needs to be reminded not to steal other peoples work and pass it as his own, because people who stole stuff in the past will steal again ( most of the time ).
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea true. I just find that picture really mean I guess. But yea if he was working it could have been alot worse

exactly, someone who actually spent their learning and devoting to becoming a better artist could've gotten hired. But in this case if he just took someone else's work and then got hired, that person that studied hard would have nothing. Just imagine if you were in that shoe, you wouldn't feel so great.
  • Bumper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumper polycounter lvl 9
    Man, this is rape.

Polycount seems to have so much power in this art world, don't you guys think?

This thread gets made, 12 hours later he has taken his site down completely and is banned at the largest concept art site.

The industry is so small, a name gets burned in your mind it won't leave for a while :P

f'ing justice for sure.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea true. I just find that picture really mean I guess. But yea if he was working it could have been alot worse
    2361866387_4bdb08a481.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow you guys are abit dramatic I mean stealing art is bad but its over he's banned. Nothing else to do that isn't done now,right.
    There is another insult to injury that is also piled onto the original artist who did nothing wrong besides make something cool enough that someone would want to steal it.

Because the art makes the rounds and gets associated with something very negative it almost makes it something not worth risking putting in their own portfolio. It often becomes abandoned art, where no one wants to touch it.

The original artist gets tired of defending it:
    "yes that art was stolen.
    Yes I am the original artist.
    Yes it was a big pain in the ass, I don't really like to talk about it.
    No really I didn't steal it!
    I'll do a mother fuckin art test to prove it!
    You can't throw me out of the building!? I know my rights!
    It's like eating a salt lick and THEN pissing in the poor artists festering wound.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    That's rather.. painful to visualize Vig, but you're right, as usual.

Some kind of digital invisible watermarking would be great.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Skamberin wrote: »
    That's rather.. painful to visualize Vig, but you're right, as usual.

Some kind of digital invisible watermarking would be great.

But what if someone finds someone else's concepts with no watermarking..and puts it on themselves. Why can't people just be honest!
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    ErichWK wrote: »
    But what if someone finds someone else's concepts with no watermarking..and puts it on themselves. Why can't people just be honest!

Because it's easier to cheat, steal and lie.
    Some people just prefer to take the easiest possible solution, regardless of legality or morality.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    well, looks like the easiest path is not the good one ! :)
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    I know him from CA.org.....he acts like a real asshole to people and needlessly criticizes them....aint Karma a Bitch ;)
  • aestheticmachine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hbobowen: I asked for an apology, a response, anything. The moment he saw my note on FB, he simply blocked public access to his blog and FB. He didn't take down the stolen work from his website, until I think the threads on CA and Polycount about his theft got serious. It's possible he thought I wouldn't do jack shit, and thought nothing of my requests.

The fact he's just trying to hide his tracks, took more than a day to take down the work, STILL has his DA up with ripped off work, and behaved as if nothing was wrong on CA until the moment of his ban - all of those things made me realize my sorrow for him was misplaced. I thought maybe he just so desperately wanted to work in the industry he was willing to do these things, but maybe he's not really a bad guy and will be willing to work hard like the rest of us. I hoped that he had some kind of redeeming quality, but so far he's shown nothing. Until he faces what he's done, he doesn't deserve any sympathy.

@Canadian Ink: Never seen him before this incident, but sounds like no loss regardless.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suppose if you're after "scorched earth" here, you might as well have at his photobucket account too...
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I hate to shit talk..but.. Did he REALLY steal a Ratchet and Clank concept piece...retrace it..and put his own character over it?? I mean. HOW DUMB CAN YOU BE.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    I suppose if you're after "scorched earth" here...

tom-cruise-as-les-grossman-in-tropic-thunder.jpg&t=1
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    I like this from CA
    Raoul Duke wrote:
    He left his resume on his site. It looks like he's held a few jobs with his fake portfolio.
    gran-torino-clint-eastwood.jpg

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201943
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    im amazing on how small and tight knit the community is.YOU DONT FUCK WITH DIGITAL ARTS PPL!!!!
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol this is fun
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    im amazing on how small and tight knit the community is.YOU DONT FUCK WITH DIGITAL ARTS PPL!!!!
    Unless you're their boss and you're laying them off in droves then feel free to f*ck every last one of them on the way out the door. =P

The unrepentant art stealing heretic, "screw you guys I gots me a job! Fook all you haters!" deserves to be burned at the stake.

The totally repentant former art stealing heretic, "I just wanted a job so bad... I did something really dumb. I'll drop off the face of the earth for a few weeks and come back with some stuff of my own and keep working to get better" deserves a chance to reinvent him/her self and insert themselves back into the fold. They're normally watched like a hawk for years and still have trouble landing jobs but mostly because their perceived skill set took a massive hit when it was corrected.