Home General Discussion

dudes, ow

Replies

• dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, this reminds me of a really old post on Sijun where one artist had his whole hand doused in hot grease and his skin came off like a glove. Eww. On the bright side, it beats some stories I've heard of hot oil blinding people. Burned hands usually heal up much better than burnt eyes do. :o

Either way, all the best with your surgery and recovery.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Oh man, Adam. I tried finding a worse picture to post to make you feel better... But I couldnt find one. You take the cake on this one.

Hope the surgery goes well and you have a speedy recovery. I feel for you for it being your art hand. :( Sorry that happened to you man.
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope you recover well, sure looks nasty :)
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    duuuuude. wtf ow. what did you spill on that!?
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    O_O..I wish to unsee(is that a word?) what I've seen
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Ouch. Feel better soon, dude.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    aiyah!

hope for a speedy recovery dude! That looks just awful.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    oh god :(

that'll scare me out of deep-frying anything at home for the next 10 years.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Had family over this weekend or would have commented earlier. Sorry about the accident, but I am glad you still have a sense of humor about your hand. I tend to make wholly inappropriate jokes as a defense mechanism for situations like that, and it doesn't go over too well with some people.

I will wipe left handed today, and think of you.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    shit man :/ get bettaarrr!
    how are the drugs, atleast? :)
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    omg man, hope you feel better soon and the surgery went well
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    first i thought its some halloween mockup...
    but ouch, thats for real? Oo

poor you, best wishes from me, also you might wanna think about investing in this:
    http://www.bilila.com/foot_mouse_slipper_mouse

i also saw someone on youztube a while back doing the same with a regular mouse but without a shoe on his foot...

a little too late, but here:
    http://www.livescience.com/technology/050201_skin_printing.html
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's also the OCZ NIA Game Controller. Though I'm skeptical of if it really works or not, would be awesome if it does.
  • Rico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn...that effing sucks Adam. Hoping for a speedy recovery, man!
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hope you feel better soon buddy, sorry to hear of this but glad to hear your on your road to recovery.

Spark
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Damn that looks painful, get better soon, nice to hear that your recovering good.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    wow yeah this is owie.

On the positive side it will improve your one handed typing skills.
    I looked into one handed keyboards before to see about improving hotkey speed while using a wacom, and what I eventually found was a website of a person with only one usable hand saying that the best speed and reliability etc at typing comes from just using a regular keyboard rather than looking into a specialized device.

What I could suggest though is a programmable keypad for those hard to reach hotkeys.. the model I have seems to be no longer supported. it is kinda nice though. Has a thumbstick for mouse control and two buttons also. Not quite like a mouse or trackball, but its better than naught for sure.

Good wishes for healing mr adam.
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evilblah polycounter lvl 18
    Aw man, get better and heal fast! Hope all goes well!
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    I will try wipe lefty tomorrow! How did surgery go?
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    eaouw aaaow aaow! looks sore man, rest and get well soon!
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    My condolences for your hand Adam. This is pretty much right up there with eye injuries for artists. Hope you heal quickly.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I cant wait till this is a to a stage where we can use it to move around our 3d scenes with our minds.

http://www.emotiv.com/
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    owww man that is looking vicious, here's to a speedy recovery.

And yeah, robot hand all the way, flesh is weak.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Jeebus! It looked like your hand was wrapped in wet paper towels at first. Ow ow ow. The worst I've had is really frigging hot coffee down my right side. Just missed the gonads, leaving me with the whole second-degree-burn thing on my right hip.

The severity of that photo you posted is incomparable, but it could always be worse! May your hand be reborn like a phoenix from the ashes of omfg that looks painful.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh we're sharing horror stories? I have two!

1) When I was 17 I was playing soccer on turf (normally we would play on grass, which is normally wet and muddy). Forgetting I had forgotten my sliding shorts, I went to slide tackle and I ended up with a thigh/hip full of ground hamburger. I knew it hurt when it happened but I didn't take a look until a few min later when I felt something running down my leg... "oh hey whats that running down my leg, oh fuck where did my hip go..."

2) I was 9-10-ish I was riding my bike, I had a card in the spokes. It started to fall out so I tried to use my foot to nudge it back into place and my foot caught the spokes and I went ass over tea kettle turning various parts of me into a bloody mess, luckily no broken bones the Dr said I was lucky I didn't break the growth plates in my foot.

But that's not the shitty part, a few days later I was changing the dressing on my left knee and the scab had oozed and hardened into the gauze. I don't remember all the details but it had to be torn off.

Man my left leg can't catch a break...
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evilblah polycounter lvl 18
    War stories...

When I was 10 I bought some fireworks from a booth. Yeah, me, a 10 year old, thanks common sense vendor man. Anyways, I had this flare like a roman candle that you are supposed to hold and it would spit out cool shiny things. Well I lit it and nothing happened so I decided to throw it away. Right as I was about to the thing blew up in my hand. I was shocked and looked at my hand thinking, 'Holy $#%@! I still have all my fingers!' Then I felt cold on my leg and when I looked, found the other end of the flare protruding from my inner thigh. I reached down, pulled four inches of hot plastic outta my leg and blacked out from the pain. My brother found me and all I remember after that is waking up in the Air Force base's hospital. 18 years later and I still have the scar and separated muscle in the thigh.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    whoah man just saw it, god damn that must hurt :X

can barely remember my 3rd grade burn on my legs when i was a kid, but i remember me screaming like hell :X

best of luck to you, you'll get some bad ass scars to impress girls!
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Vig wrote: »
    But that's not the shitty part, a few days later I was changing the dressing on my left knee and the scab had oozed and hardened into the gauze. I don't remember all the details but it had to be torn off.

This. Years back when I was like...12 or 13...I had an incident with a car windshield that sliced a huge chunk off of my finger. Obviously, had to get it all dressed and what not - few days later, I had to get the dressing changed by a nurse...waited a LONG time soaking it in hot water, to loosen up the gunk and whatnot - i assume, needless to say it didn't work and the only thing "to do" was to just rip it off. Sucks.

Also - sorry Adam...you V for Vendetta guy in the making.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh we're sharing horror stories? I have two!

2) I was 9-10-ish I was riding my bike, I had a card in the spokes. It started to fall out so I tried to use my foot to nudge it back into place and my foot caught the spokes and I went ass over tea kettle turning various parts of me into a bloody mess, luckily no broken bones the Dr said I was lucky I didn't break the growth plates in my foot.

I did that! only i was resting my feet on the little screws that hold the wheel in place as opposed to trying to push a card back in. All i got was a skinned elbow though. unintentionally flipping over is a very WTF moment.
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    fuck me! I hope you'll recover fast, cause I know how it is to live with skinless hands (had a chemical burn 2nd degree once where I had no skin on my hands for 4 weeks) fingers crossed!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    As mentioned. Anyone know the results from the surgery?

Per war stories.

14ish. I got stuck in a Military School for a bit. Turned out this school also hosted "cadets" that were on their third strike. I.E. Their parents had giving this to the judge as the last option before judicial jail. I admit being a bratty kid and got in a argument with one of these guys about who was next in line to bat. He had that bat, got made at me, and swung at my head. My face and head were fed up for a few months after that. All these years later I have a slight scar in my right eyebrow and a crack in my sinuses.

16ish. My brother and I were in an argument about something. He went into the bathroom. I banged on the bathroom doors window and it broke. I pulled my hand way and had there is a huge gaping hole on the bottom of my right wrist near my thumb that was quickly pooling with blood. Anyhow at the VA after it was cleaned and dressed. I was told I was lucky because it was very near a tendon. Still have a wicked scar in that area today.

24ish.
    I was trying to get to the photo darkroom at my college on my bicycle. It was a windy day and a bunch of sand had gotten near the side of the road. I stopped too suddenly at a stop sign and the whole bike went down. I got up and realized my left arm wasnt working right and getting numb fast with any pain caused by movement. Having no insurance at the time nor money to see a doctor. I also needed to get to the darkroom before it closed. So I got up and went ahead did my work, and went back home (one handed). All the while the arm getting purple and sore/unmovable. I made a sling from a shirt and kept it in it for a few days and it eventually got better. Looking back, I think it was sprung slightly, but damn that was close.

I just love the American health care system.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    dag! sucks man, hope everything went ok sunday! Was it a fire on your hand, or chemical burn? How did you guys react? quick baking soda toss, or vinegar douse?

PS im glad your butt wasn't the donor, because i would prefer to be able to grab it someday. But then again, if it was and i shook your hand, i could have my hand on your butt regardless without feeling the awkward boner.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    putting vinegar/baking soda on chemical burns generally isn't a very good idea....
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    baking soda = oil fire, vinegar = chemical burn. surely wouldnt want to throw both at once :) wasn't sure what caused it *shrug* either method can help in different situations, but vastly varies based on the situation.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson wrote: »
    putting vinegar/baking soda on chemical burns generally isn't a very good idea....
    Did Fight Club teach you nothing...

"You can run water over your hand and make it worse or you can use vinegar to neutralize the burn"

Moose, I think it was 8 cups of some kind of cooking oil?

• Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Anyone heard from adam? How went the surgery?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH

From this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17188/Photo%20Nov%2004%2C%204%2012%2045%20PM.jpg
    and this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17188/Photo%20Nov%2005%2C%2011%2010%2025%20AM.jpg

To wrapped up pre-graft: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17188/Photo%20Nov%2006%2C%2010%2056%2033%20AM.jpg

To donor site post-graft: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17188/Photo%20Nov%2008%2C%201%2022%2048%20PM.jpg

To the graft itself: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17188/Photo%20Nov%2009%2C%201%2003%2019%20PM.jpg

Now? Tons of pain. Oxycontin and television.

Insurance put my wife and I up in a SWEET 1200SQ.FT fully furnished condo until we find an apartment. (Before Xmas anyway). No COMPUTER or consoles for a while :( I did learn though that ill need to wear a spandex glove 24/7 for at least a YEAR. So thats cool, I guess?

Needless to say, the other admins will be running the show for the next few weeks.

Zzzz....
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    Adam, you better do something cool with that spandex glove. Like draw something on it, draw your source of power.

Good to hear things are going forward at least, shame with the lack of consoles and computers :(

But now might be a good time to catch up on a whole bunch of TV series or movies or.. something :P

Get well sooner :)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Fuck... more sever than i thought. Just gotta grit your teeth and push through it. Painful as it is it's just skin, you'll be back to 100% which is what matters a year from now.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Gah! What a terrible thing to have happen to you. I wish you a speedy recovery sir!

I'm sure there's still tons of art related work you could do even without your good hand. Maybe take this opportunity to study up (in a non-practical way) on areas of art that you feel you need to improve in. Get a bunch of Gnomon DVDs/art history/instructional books or whatever and make voice recordings in order to take notes? If you are going to work with your less favoured hand then I'd recommend studies that are more about perception rather than accuracy. So, colour/tone studies rather than line drawings. Having said that, your left hand can probably draw lines and shapes that your right wouldn't, so maybe you'll discover something cool that way!

Anyway, hope you get better ASAP!

BTW, your positive attitude is really commendable.
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    Did Fight Club teach you nothing...

"You can run water over your hand and make it worse or you can use vinegar to neutralize the burn"

Moose, I think it was 8 cups of some kind of cooking oil?

I don't think you'd put vinegar on an oil burn. A chemical burn is related to ph, so if you had an alkaline chemical it would seem to make sense to use vinegar, if you had an acidic chemical it would seem to make sense to use baking soda, the idea being you neutralize or bring within normal (for human contact) the ph of the substance.

If you have a heat related injury as in this case the main thing to do is stop the burning which means lower the temp which means cool water, that's how you reduce damage to tissues under the skin. I have to get certified in First Aid/CPR every year, we really don't cover burns thoroughly but that's what I remember from the small bit of lecture on it.

That looks awful, but it also looks like everything is nice and clean so no infection, and it also sounds like you're being taken care of which is great to read. I hope you recover quickly and fully Adam.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    does it have to be spandex? The black leather glove is the traditional attire.

get well soon.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuck dude that is aweful. I am glad you are staying positive. That has to be rough.
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    HOLY MOTHER!!! dude that's crazy! I hope your had gets better fast! Sorry to hear about your apartement. Really really glad your ok though.

- vivi
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Can I suggest this glove?

powerglove.jpg

In all seriousness glad you're being treated well and the surgery went through. Hopefully no further complications arise. Your upbeat attitude is great too man.

Also this gives you plenty of time to research and evaluate new technology, develop sweet shaders or FX and try your hand at animation. All things that don't require pinpoint accuracy but are in my opinion extremely cool.

It could be a nice time to make yourself extremely well rounded and knowledgeable of all fields and practices!
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    'not for the squeamish' you say?
    Ha! I'm a man, I can take itOMFGCLOSEEYES

ooouch, here's to wishing you a speedy recovery :)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Wow.. That's definite resource pictures when I need to make like Jigsaw.

So did they only take one layer of skin from the section you show? Or did they take it down to the fatty layer and just will seal the area so the skin can regrow in (on your leg).

Your gonna have a cool looking hand (as in cool horrific) when this is done. You could be a stand in hand model in adverts for selling hand lube to Frankenstein monsters who cant get none.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Adam don't forget that every studio needs to have work-flows documented... Easy to do one handed, and super useful for training and answering stupid questions with out taking up another artists time.