Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK](WIP)Lost Cave

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Boyo polycounter lvl 8
Hi!

It's been a long time since my last visit.
Nobody cares, but I found a job and moved so...
I first show this scene.

I start a new one, instead of finishing the first one of course...
So, it's a WIP, it will be shorter this timeI hope... :)

Here is the beginning, first rough, quick lightning, a paintover and a sculpt...

PaintOver1.jpg

Cave1.jpg

Cave2.jpg

RenderStalag.jpg

Replies

• Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Added, i'm instantly loving where this is going and you have a nice teaser sculpt to prove it. From your shots so far the rock on the left might be blocking a bit much from the mouth of the cave, at least from the angle you provided.
  • NothingHappens
    I know that's not finished yet and just started but...

AWESOME oO

I wish I could do that =(
  • Boyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Hi!

New Update...
    Thank you for the replies :)

SasoChicken >> Congrat for your first post :p
    No color yet, i'll try to put some colors tomorrow, but i'm lazy as the concept is in my mind... Obviously, it's difficult for the watchers to figure out...

I want a lost place, so, the huge pipe is rusty.

And to be honest, for the cave itself I thought about God of War 3, the place right before the tartarus gates. Ok, I don't hope to reach this level of quality, but, you get the idea...

30-Tartarus%20-%20Phoenix%20Feather%209-1--article_image.jpg

Kaburan >> Thank you very much. You're right, it needs to be moved. Actually, the concept is a guide, I'm still searching.

NothingHappens >> Thanks :)

Anyway, the pictures, still wip, still B&W

RenderRock1.jpg

Cave3.jpg
  • Boyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
  • paulsvoboda
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Love this already! As an early stage this is looking great. Only thing that's a bit weird is the overall scale. From the concepts I was expecting this too be huge making that character maybe 5 times smaller than what he is now.

Getting some stronger sunlight entering the cave with a more obvious direction could add some. At the moment I can't tell if this will be night time or sometime in the day.
    Anyways, enough from me. Great start and interested to see where this goes.
  • nullfed
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    The rock formations look sweet. With the style of them though, like dripping water/limestone formations, i'd expect more similar action from the ceiling with stalactites/stalagamites. the surrounding cave bits look like a different kind of rock. Do a search for "limestone cave" to see what i'm talking about.

The floor could be more sloped and uneven maybe, which could open up the view to the outside nicely. Don't get me wrong though - looking nice so far!
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    lookin neato, all the vertical elements should lead to a nice final composition. god of war 3 had some wicked cave visatas worth checking out, especially the pit of tartarus.
  • Boyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Hi, thanks for the feedbacks...

paulsvoboda>> Yeah, that's right, it could be larger. Actually, it's a medium place, with bigger structure in the background. The lightning is artificial, like a big spot. The whole scene is inside a cave, with large structure inside.
    I realize it's not really clear right now, i rushed into construction with no concept... Ill make another paintover.
    Anyway, I enlarged a little everything.

SasoChicken and others >> Thanks. Yep, the rock formation is due to water. I'll make other tiling rock textures, try to blend everything nicely.

I removed part of the rooftop to open the mouth of the cave.
    To finish, i'll work on the texture, this is all still very WIP, though the comments are very welcome. So Thank you very much!!

Small update :

Cave5.jpg
  • Spinks
    Offline / Send Message
    Spinks polycounter lvl 18
    looks great! nice ambience. do you have any plans for breaking up the rock and adding some focal points in the foreground?
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    really like the stones and light!!
  • duxun
    work on the background... make the viewer see far into the distance this will accomplish the depth of the cavern... incorporate a s function to why this image exists and its interest to the viewer...dont be afraid to use color in your lighting .. it creates a mood for the scene that you the artist are conveying ...

rock on !!!!
  • Boyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the great feedback.
    Another update (ok, too much? :D)
    Added colored light, worked on the background, and composition.
    Added some water and wet materials.
    Worked on the floor and rooftop.
    Added some elements.

need to work on the structure in the background, the metal plate (it's a Unreal random texture), make other tiling textures, blend shapes, alphas for stalactite, make some Vertex Paint, and add props...

Here it is :

Cave6.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really nice work mate, personally I still feel like the composition could be nicer, once you nail that awesome angle shot it'll be brilliant. Try to work in some more variety in your scene, right now it feels a bit copy-pasted. Maybe some kind of weird plants or crystals to add some more contrast in colors. Have you tried a sky or something out there? Might be interesting.

Keep up the good work mate!
  • Boyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Saso>> I have no problem with criticism, as long as it's constructive. ;)

However, I'm not sure to understand what you mean by "back-to-forward shot"? Why does the light color should change?

Chris>> Thankx :) Youre right, composition could be better. There's not a lot of asset right now. I'll try to add some rusty elements, differents tints with rocks. I have a recurrent issue with color, I'll to bring colors.

Don't be afraid of the colors :D
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Looking forward to the work man! :) Keep on rocking!
  • Boyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Saso >> Ok, thanks :) I understand.
    Chris>> Thanks!! Right now, i'll take a break far from any computer, but i'll finish this when i'm back.

Here's a little update, a part of the background structure. I'll make a pass into Zbrush, right now it's too clean.

Pipe1.jpg