Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Gerre

Replies

• Khthon
    Paw makes me think of animal paws, but it IS the way people spell 'pa' when they are writing what a hillbilly character says down on paper. Works either way.
  • Drax
    I love how your pack is coming along the idea is quite unique from the rest, can't wait to see the entire pack finished.
  • Simski
    Khthon wrote: »
    Paw makes me think of animal paws, but it IS the way people spell 'pa' when they are writing what a hillbilly character says down on paper. Works either way.
    "Paw" reminds me of when creepy furries try to sound cute by saying that they're gonna "paw off".
  • Snowloss
    I don't know what that means, but I can guess... and I don't like it.
  • Gerre
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Okay I'll stick with 'Hillbilly Hat' xD
  • Khthon
    NO! Pa's Podunk works! Just not 'Paw' with a 'W'.
  • Snowloss
    in the grand scheme of the contest... I don't think the name really matters. Least not right now.
  • Gerre
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Sorry for the lack of updates, had lots of work at my internship. I should have more time next week though.

Made quite a few adjustments to the hat, I consider it finished now.
    I scaled the hat smaller and positioned it differently, lowered the pipe head a bit (so its silhouette looks less like a hammer) and modeled the feather instead of using an alphamap (Vintage Tyrolean has a modeled feather too, so I figured it would be okay).
    I didn't use nocull on the feather though, because the rimlight looked ugly on the other side. I copied the feather instead and flipped its polygons, at the cost of more tris (1134 now).
    NO! Pa's Podunk works! Just not 'Paw' with a 'W'.
    I'm going to keep the name 'Hillbilly Hat' as there are other hats with simple names (Engineer's Cap, Frenchman's Beret...), unless Valve can come up with a better one.

For the texture I matched the hat color with engi's boots/belt. The patch and feather are teamcolored and I tried to keep the pattern on the pipe as simple as possible.
    The wheat is jiggleboned now too.

Enough talk, more pictures :)
    1q1pwx.jpg
    jqsswx.jpg2nb6b89.jpg
    2q3x2cl.jpg
    diffuse 512x512
    xcq93b.jpg
    14y00gh.jpg
    Texas Ten Gallon + Builder's Buckwheat combo
    2zox5x3.jpg
  • Simski
    I'm not sure what I think of the Pipe texture, I'm also still not sure if those stitches aren't too big...
    Lastly, placing it just slightly further down could make it look more like it's resting on top of his head better :O

Other than that though, the hat is awesome :3

The Wheat is pretty neat.
    However I still think you should make the ends somewhat longer and somewhat less thick.
    http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l189/Simski_2006/everygirlsnightmare.png (Picture may not be working at the moment, Photobucket is being a rancid cunt)
  • Khthon
    Perfection in hat form.

Builder's Buckwheat

+10% to Tobacco Spittin' Skill

Pa's Podunk

80% louder Banjo playing
  • Tinker
    That is absolutely amazing.
  • chickenman
    the wheat seems very... heavy.
  • Gerre
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    I'm going to leave the hat as it is for the reasons I stated before. It's about time I started working on the shotgun replacement.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    They both look finished.
    Perfection in hat form.

Builder's Buckwheat

+10% to Tobacco Spittin' Skill

Pa's Podunk

80% louder Banjo playing
    I support this.
  • Khthon
    Any new shotgun concepts? Or do you know exactly what the model will be more or less?
  • Gerre
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    It will look kinda similar to the Force-A-Nature with one barrel and not sawed off (will probably need new reload animations). But yeah I'm going to do some concepting first to make it more fit for a hillbilly.

Was also playing with the idea to do something with a pitchfork, but not sure yet what to use it for. Maybe incorporate it in the shotgun like an improvised bayonet?
    grko806_pitchfork.jpg

And I was thinking of making the moonshine a secondary drinkable unlock. I allready have 3 items that follow the contest's rules, so I figured it would be okay to make one more that doesn't. It's up to Valve if they decide to implement it or not.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Gerre wrote: »
    It will look kinda similar to the Force-A-Nature with one barrel and not sawed off (will probably need new reload animations). But yeah I'm going to do some concepting first to make it more fit for a hillbilly.
    How's this grab ya?
    ae3e40883c0ac88abd35ce8bc82c5868_squidbillies1.jpg
  • Sir Psycho Sexy
    Gerre wrote: »

Was also playing with the idea to do something with a pitchfork, but not sure yet what to use it for. Maybe incorporate it in the shotgun like an improvised bayonet?

TF2 needs more pitchforks, and only a genius such as the Engineer would ever consider using one as an improvised bayonet. You sir, know your engis. :D As long as it isnt duct-taped on (duct-tape is for numbskull soldier types:)) to the shotgun then that'll look pretty sassy.
  • Simski
    Making the Pitchfork an improvised bayonet is a great idea!
    I would be highly against it as a melee, as it looks like it would be long range like the Eyelander and wouldn't work well as a wrench... however it would be pretty cool as an addition to a weapon :O
  • Khthon
    I agree the pitchfork bayonet is a cool idea.

Improvised bayonets are always good ideas.

bayonet-1.jpg
  • Gerre
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    As long as it isnt duct-taped on (duct-tape is for numbskull soldier types:)) to the shotgun then that'll look pretty sassy.
    Hillbillies are numbskull soldier types :D

Quick concept of the gun, still feel like something is missing though.
    wsa88y.jpg
  • Hotdogbunker
    OOh, banana peeled shotgun barrel is awesome. I think that's an awesome idea!
  • Khthon
    Needs something more in the center part of the body, I feel. Have a bandoleer of shells or some keys or something interesting there.
  • Simski
    I like it, but do one version without the Pitchfork.
    So you have a backup.

Although I think the pitchfork is a wonderful addition, it might stray too far from the normal function of the shotgun.
    So, better safe than sorry.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I think it would look better a bit bulkier. Making the barrel and the part the trigger is connected to (Sorry I don't know much gun terminology) larger would make it look more like a blunderbuss almost which I think would look better than the hunting rifle look it has now.
  • Gerre
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Simski wrote: »
    I like it, but do one version without the Pitchfork.
    So you have a backup.

Although I think the pitchfork is a wonderful addition, it might stray too far from the normal function of the shotgun.
    So, better safe than sorry.
    That's why it needs something extra that makes it more fit for a hillbilly, because if I leave it out it's just a shotgun.
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    well the end of the barrel is still blasted.
    i'm not sure about how i feel.
    on the one hand it's an awesome idea, but on the other hand it's like Simski put it. basically not a replacement, but another kind of weapon...

i'd leave the pitchfork to the melee weapon :o
    but you won't change your mind, i can tell already :D
  • Mizzymizzy
  • Khthon
    He doesn't have to use the bayonet guys, it's just adding visual interest. Like the grenades on Pyro/Demo/Soldier models.

And it looks cool! So do it!
  • Gerre
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Mizzymizzy wrote: »
    Pitchfork + gun combination in this video!
    Dammit I didn't know this has been done :(
    Would be awesome though for sticking Spies trying to sap your buildings and blast them away with huge knockback.
  • Dr. Waldo Fehr
    Why not make it a lawnmower blade or some part off a farmer type machine like a combine?
  • Khthon
    Do it and do it fast Gerre. Time is running out and I want to see your stuff in game!
  • Gerre
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Everybody can combine a shotgun with a pitchfork, but this new piece of ingenuity is something only the Engineer can come up with: a car battery!
    Why a car battery, you ask?
    Because now you can stick some big, mean mother hubbard and remind him he has a pitchfork embedded between his ribs by sending some electricity through his structurally superfluous new behind.
    hs6l8m.jpg

Also on the other side a new way of keeping track of one of your Spychecking rampages.
    15oxv2c.jpg

I'm okay with the bayonet being pure aesthetic if Valve decides not to let it alter gameplay. But it would be so cool to sneak up to someone, stick him and blast him into your sentry's range :D (it would kinda work like the Pyro's airblast, but with some damage)
    This would encourage Engineers to leave their sentry or help them getting rid of Spies while trying to knock off a sapper.

Going to start on the model now :)
  • Mizzymizzy
    Lol, when I posted the video I just wanted to give you a reference but whatever :)
  • Cheeezy
    Replace beyonette with cattle prod IMO.

Big%20New%20Cattle%20Prod.jpg
  • Rollover Minutes
    Cheeezy wrote: »
    Replace beyonette with cattle prod IMO.

Big%20New%20Cattle%20Prod.jpg
    Or that could be a new melee weapon, improvised to also weld metal so you can upgrade buildings and burn enemies.
  • Gerre
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Mizzymizzy wrote: »
    Lol, when I posted the video I just wanted to give you a reference but whatever :)
    lol thx, I must've misunderstood (damn you internet with your lack of human interaction).
    I'm going to stick with the pitchfork for bayonet, but thx for the suggestion.
  • Simski
    I think you should stick to the pitchfork too, it fits the "Hillbilly" theme a lot better than the cattleprod.

Also, can you do a version of the shotgun without the pitchfork?
    I think the Shotgun looks unique enough on it's own to be distinguishable from the shotgun and to still fit the hillbilly theme, and I think Valve would be more keen on a version without the pitchfork should they decide they didn't want to use the suggested function.
  • Khthon
    Suggested name for shotgun- Varmint Blaster
  • Sn1pe
    Offline / Send Message
    Sn1pe polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man, I like your stuff! I'm a 3D animator and would like to know if you need any help with animations or something.
  • Gerre
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Early model wip (1204 tris):
    29et2km.jpg
    30b19no.jpg
    4kync.jpg
    Going to name it Irene :) (from this quote).
    Sn1pe wrote: »
    Hey man, I like your stuff! I'm a 3D animator and would like to know if you need any help with animations or something.
    Cool, I'll probably need new reload animations. I'll pm you for more information.
  • Simski
    I think that gun along with the blown up nozzle would be enough to make it a stereotypical redneck weapon.
    I think you should have this weapon without the pitchfork and the electric wire.

Then when you have that as a backup, you can make the one with the pitchfork as well.

So that if Valve decides that they don't want to use the function, they will have a version without the function modeled into it. Because I highly doubt Valve would use a weapon with a noticeable gimmick modeled into it, if they weren't going to use that gimmick.
    It would be a terrible shame to see you disqualified for something like that.
  • Gerre
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Simski wrote: »
    I think that gun along with the blown up nozzle would be enough to make it a stereotypical redneck weapon.
    I think you should have this weapon without the pitchfork and the electric wire.

Then when you have that as a backup, you can make the one with the pitchfork as well.

So that if Valve decides that they don't want to use the function, they will have a version without the function modeled into it. Because I highly doubt Valve would use a weapon with a noticeable gimmick modeled into it, if they weren't going to use that gimmick.
    It would be a terrible shame to see you disqualified for something like that.
    Jup, that's the idea :). First I'm going to make a version without all the extra stuff (textured and everything) and add the rest later (with a separate texture).
    Dunno if I'll have enough time to finish the fourth moonshine unlock before the contest deadline, but I'm going to make it anyways.
  • Khthon
    You could have a bottle of moonshine connected by a couple doodads to the shotgun, it adds that extra oomph! Hillybilly firewater was known for being very explosive.
  • Gerre
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    You could have a bottle of moonshine connected by a couple doodads to the shotgun, it adds that extra oomph! Hillybilly firewater was known for being very explosive.
    And drop it as fourth item? I'll give it some thought, the shotgun without all the attachments is priority now.
  • Khthon
    Then you could call the shotgun something like - the Moonshine Boomstick. Moonshiner's Moonshooter? Bootlegger's Boomstick? Distiller's Deathstick?

If you do the Moonshine bottle on one side, you could put a bolted on miniature Moonshine Sill on the other side of the shotgun to balance its symmetry. They had a neat shape -
    Moonshine-Still.jpg
    moonshine_still.jpg
    still2.jpg

There was also a cool phrase used by Moonshiners about how low quality Moonshine would burn red (lead in the alcohol) and kill you if you drank it. Maybe it could be the item's flavor description. "Lead burns red and makes you dead."
    A common "folk" quality test for moonshine was to pour a small quantity of it into a metal spoon and set it alight, the theory being that safe distillate burns with a blue flame, but tainted distillate burns with a yellow flame. Practitioners of this simple test sometimes held that if a radiator coil had been used as a condenser there would be lead in the alcohol, which would give a reddish flame. This led to the phrase: "Lead burns red and makes you dead."[10] While the flame test shows the presence of lead and fusel oils, it does not reveal the presence of methanol, which also burns blue.
    Another test used for moonshine is to "proof". A small amount of gun powder is poured in a dish with the moonshine. It is ignited and if the mixture starts to flame it is "proofed." In other words if it lights then it contains a good amount of alcohol, but if it does not flame the moonshine has been diluted. Note that this only proves the alcohol to be at least 57.15% ABV. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonshine
  • Simski
    ^ Good idea, something he should maybe consider AFTER he's done the normal shotgun model :P

He should finish the normal shotgun first, so he's officially has 3 sentries for the contest.
    Then if he still have time, he can try implementing something like that.
  • Sn1pe
    Offline / Send Message
    Sn1pe polycounter lvl 9
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYe8Pmfwei0[/ame]

Animation progress for the shotgun. Attempting to make the reload a little faster without looking too weird.
  • Psyke
    i love the "POP" on the bullet eject
  • Khthon
    @Sn1pe - Good animation. Nice sounds, too.

@Gerre - Tell me what you think about my suggestions. :)