Home General Discussion

APB is the greatest game ever!

Replies

• 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've really enjoyed the beta, but I can't see paying $10 a month for it. The ability to earn more playtime is nice, but it comes down to the game beginning to feel more like work than a game. Yes I can have fun designing things, but I do that for a living (and on the weekends atm) so when I go to play a game, I just want to play. Paying a monthly fee to play would also make me feel obligated to play to get my money's worth, and then once again the game now feels like work.

It's a great idea for a game, but I'm disappointed at the payment system. I guess I'll be skipping this one after all. :(
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One nice thing is that probably the best thing about the game (customization options) are free to play!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Skulburn wrote: »
    Then dont pay a monthly fee, buy 20 hours game time, and use it up as and when you want, and if you want to play again after that times up, rinse and repeat..

Why do that when you buy any other competitive shooter for a one time price, or Guild Wars 2 for a one time price.

I think the free to play for content creators is a fallacy, an idealised fictional story similar to the apple store. They may be lucky if one percent of content creators are able to play for free.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Depends on how much it offers over a normal non-sub game to be actually 'worth' the outlay of cash per 20 hours or even per month it would have offer allot more than say MW2/BFBC2.
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    Try and think of it like a pay-as-you-go mobile phone only if you pay $10+ it becomes unlimited. What I like about it is rather than pay a month then say go on holiday for 2 weeks and only get 2 weeks play time you can carry your time over.

Not everyone fully understands it yet but I hope that its well received. As for current content remember your still in BETA. Some awesome stuff is coming :D
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly wrote: »

Not everyone fully understands it yet but I hope that its well received. As for current content remember your still in BETA. Some awesome stuff is coming :D

I hope so, I really want to like this game and I kinda feel like it's 'almost there'.

I will buy it for sure but I just hope there's enough to build and maintain a good player base.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Me and a bunch of people at work pre-ordered. Who else is gonna get in early?
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Spent well over 100 hours in the beta, got invited into the PTW event and a friend pre ordered the game on steam for me. I'll be in. Already made Toothy in the game and slapped it on everything.
    Fun times, grand times, epic times.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want a Polycount tattoo in my characters eyes

Do I have to preorder this if I ever want to even see the case? Looks really popular.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    CB ROCKS ! in PTW too !
  • Campin Carl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I even had a beta key for this game. But none of my current PC's can run it =(
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    I got invited to the PTW too but I had already lost interest in the game several weeks ago. No story, poor match making, car handling had 0.5-1second of lag time. Only two zones were available. Weapon and gear progression tied to PvP. The game was *only PvP from what I saw. Criminals can go out and commit several different crimes whenever they want. Enforcers don't have much to do beside going after criminals or driving around. Counter-Strike with vehicles was what my gameplay impressions came down to.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Asherr: Seems you didn't play the game.
    The enforcers have many missions given to them by NPC's, these missions can be intercepted by crims. Enforcers can also witness crims and get a mission to take them out if they are committing a crime.

Crims can commit crimes outside of missions and also do missions like enforcers.

The entire game is based around PVP, it's not an MMO like WoW. The two "zones" are pretty damn big and offer enough variation in design to be interesting.

The matchmaking has been touched up a lot and works very well now, car handling being laggy is your net's fault (really, it is. I've had no trouble with it whatsoever)

Weapon and gear progression is not tied to PVP, you complete missions for whichever organization contact you pledge too, as you complete them you go up in rank, going up in rank unlocks more weapons to buy, maxing out a contact and going up in organization standing nets you upgrade and weapon rewards as well as vehicles.

I've spent several hours as a criminal and enforcer, enforcers had more things to do, which is funny based on what you're saying.

Maybe you need to play with a proper group, I'd suggest giving the PTW a chance and playing the game properly this time, group up, communicate, and do things together.

As for no story: The game has an interesting setting, but bar the little info you get on each contact, you're right, there isn't much of a story. But then again, there is pretty much no story in any MMO at all ever, (in before people say WoW or AoC has a deep and engaging story) if you want a story you play a singleplayer game.

Feel free to friend me if you're in the PTW, I play as two characters:
    Enforcer: Ludger
    Crim: Ramses

See you in the game :) Also I'm not sure how the NDA is with the PTW and pictures, it seems to be changed, so not sure if you can put up character pictures yet, anyone know anything about this?
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Asherr wrote: »
    I got invited to the PTW too but I had already lost interest in the game several weeks ago. No story, poor match making, car handling had 0.5-1second of lag time. Only two zones were available. Weapon and gear progression tied to PvP. The game was *only PvP from what I saw. Criminals can go out and commit several different crimes whenever they want. Enforcers don't have much to do beside going after criminals or driving around. Counter-Strike with vehicles was what my gameplay impressions came down to.

This basically sums up why i'm not 100% on this game yet. It is going to be another mindless game, mind you it WILL BE FUN, and definitely the customization alone is awesome...but obviously there is no real story, or none shown yet which really, really is why I love games for the stories. Also at first it was going to be buy the disc's and play, now its buy this much time blah blah blah.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I pulled a handbrake 180 into driving reverse trick with one of the super fast sports cars. The lag was bad at the beginning of the beta but the past few weeks has been lag free... and I was playing on the European Beta.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm also in the PTW if anyone wants to add me: "Strelok"

I'm also starting a casual clan for those interested called "Zone Enforcement" (hah!). We have logos and awesome black & white patrol cars. :)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Strelok Im pretty sure Ive seen you running around...
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Damnit Asher made me want to try it but then Skamberin took down the hype... Damnit. I want pvp Counterstrike with cars. Im serious... :(
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, I hope I get into the beta sounds like fun :<
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how long is the public beta going to run? I mean, the game goes live this Thursday (at least for pre-order peeps)
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    All Parts Boring. thats what i have to say
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey wrote: »

Explain! I like to have a lot of reasons not to get a game before I decide whether or not I got out and buy it.
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    Rhinokey wrote: »

For me APB is what you make of it, I've played Left For Dead and had a shit time with the wrong team. Equally I played it and had an awesome time with great team mates. APB is a very social game. Throw yourself into it and use the VOiP, it really adds to the experience.

I've said here before, you played the BETA. Keep your eyes peeled and ears to the ground for the upcoming launch info & updates!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Game has a lot of potential. The customization is outstanding, but the lack of missions and co player dependancy gets boring.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is anyone else having trouble logging into the PTW since the server reboot?
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NDA is dropped for images and video, keys to the city event is going and I want to show stuff I made :P
    VIDEO:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6HAdM7iY_k[/ame]

APB%202010-06-04%2015-24-36-65.png
    APB%202010-06-04%2021-58-58-83.png
    APB%202010-06-04%2021-59-00-83.png
    APB%202010-06-10%2006-35-28-19.png
    APB%202010-06-10%2006-35-31-07.png
    APB%202010-06-04%2015-24-10-60.png
    APB%202010-06-04%2015-24-16-24.png
    APB%202010-06-12%2017-59-47-61.png
    APB%202010-06-12%2017-59-54-19.png
    APB%202010-06-04%2015-30-27-46.png

Alternatively just go here for an album :P
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd like to know one thing before I preorder the game, do you always get unlimited social gameplay, or is it over when the open beta is over?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Forget that, installing now.
    Hope to have some fun with this, even if my computer doesn't mean minimum requirements.
    (RAM, and something else i forgot.)
    Going to take...
    1080 minutes?
    Hooray.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Non-stop Social District gameplay from now on (with a short break between the prelaunch event and the actual game launch).

That includes all the editors, marketplace, music/dance rooms, shops, chat, clan forming, etc.

Sounds great, I'll preorder later today, I've been needing a new game.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been downloading for almost 2 hours, and i'm not even a gigabyte in...
    D:
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's odd how it takes so long for you guys D: takes me about 5 hours to get it all. Might be a euro thing.

Also if you have the beta or PTW client installed, just copy paste, binary, engine and APBgame folders into your KTTC APB folder and delete both files containing client in their name in the KTTC APB folder. Restart the client, let it scan, download about 60 megs, play :)
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont have any of that stuff done. Guess i'll have to find something to do for 9 hours, unless anybody knows of a way to speed this up.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like my screenshots were deleted when I uninstalled the beta. Hate when games do that. Anyway my main criminal during beta looked like Christopher Walken's Yakuza son.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downloading now! Damn, it's gonna take me 9 hours!
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godadmnit guys stop taking so long D':

Also how many of you are Eurofolk?
  • IEatApples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah images werent loading, Polycount character looks awesome.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm Eurofolk, i'll leave it to download overnight. Work tomorrow, but when i get home i'll start up my character again, those that pre-ordered, do we get our exclusive items during this demo as well?

Nice, the KTTC event is up till the 19th, then everything gets wiped. I'll try to save my last action district hour so I can play with other people than my roomies :P

And no we don't get our pre order stuff in the demo :( we get it when the game does its early access thing though, which is on the 24th I think.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm. So we get full access to the social sectors if we own the game, yeah?
    If they're entertaining enough I might buy the game, especially if it's actually fun to play as well.
    Also, judging by your video the game is full of weirdos.
    Perfect.
    :D
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    This game isn't coming out here in Aus due to bandwidth issues.. :(
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When does the beta end, btw?
    I'm worried i wont have the damn thing installed by the time the beta is over.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The beta is long gone and done with. This event is just to let people "try before they buy" or let pre-ordering folk try the game out. It last's til the 19th, after that you have a three day early access for those who pre-ordered the game. I'm sure you'll finish downloading in time :)

And the Australia thing really sucks tanka :( The devs have said they will try to get servers there in the future. I just hope the game does well and that people can play it more than 2 hours and instantly hate it because they don't work in groups.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2 hours and only 1/7 of the gigabytes are download!
    Also post from one of the apb admins:

Key to the city event
    Unlimited Social District
    5HRS of Action District (Unused HRS wiped)
    Characters Wiped

Pre-release head start
    Unlimited Social District
    10HRS of Action District (Unused HRS banked for retail)
    Characters Safe, no wipe
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahah, moosey i'm jealous. I'm going on 5 hrs, with 20% done downloading.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm at 13 hours and 34% done!
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7 hours and 38% done :P My download speed just keeps dropping it's at 116kb/s now
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    They should release the editor and stuff as a free demo, I've always wanted to play with it, but I dunno if I want to buy the full game.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, these bandwith issues, I'm down to 95kb/s 10 hours and I'm not even at 50%.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    82 percent. 12 hrs.
    ugh, so close.