Home General Discussion

APB is the greatest game ever!

ae.
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ae. polycounter lvl 12
well maybe not ever but it looks stunning and i for one will buy it on day one just to play with the character editor! check these videos out!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHdyzf8WSTc&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGQ3-dgxvIc&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I wonder if it'll look this well in game. Seems pretty high-res for an MMO.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that looks epic. yea i hope this game doesnt fail at launch. i hope they take their time on it.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Chara creation looks like any other except for the dynamic hair growth maybe? Very impressed by the graphics editor tho.
    Looking great overall!
  • dehebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that was a pretty impressive vector based painting program for a game, very surprised they bothered with something like that as much as they have. looks interesting, will keep an eye on this.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    homer droll > humm...E3 booth babess
  • dehebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    check out the vid of the homepage www.apb.com is pretty cool, has attitude.
    still can't visualise this as a deep mmo _yet_.
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Am I the only person that doesn't care at all about this whole "customize everything" philosophy. I don't care. I played Spore, tried the editor once, then just used pre-mades.

It's boring and I want things ready made for me when I boot.

My opinion that's all.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Am I the only person that doesn't care at all about this whole "customize everything" philosophy. I don't care. I played Spore, tried the editor once, then just used pre-mades.

It's boring and I want things ready made for me when I boot.

My opinion that's all.

I love it, it's probably why I got into game art in the first place. Isn't it odd that an artist enjoys being creative? lulz
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    holy shit. meshuggah is in the trailer. sold.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I love it, it's probably why I got into game art in the first place. Isn't it odd that an artist enjoys being creative? lulz

x2

Game does look very good though, the customization alone has gotten me intrigued, I'm still not sold on how it plays though, is it just a GTA mmo? I need to see more gameplay videos.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    he he I have had the luxury of playing with the character editor. looks much more advanced than when I last saw it. looks great overall.

not fussed on character creation in game myself, more interested in the actual gameplay - though I like to see nice characters, customization is a bit meh for me.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    really awesome chargen, always wanted to work on something like that
    wide variety and faces looks alright , considering realistic style
    much better than most, Bethesds chargens for example
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    When I saw the stuff from E3 I dubbed it "Douchebag Online" make yourself a douchebag that different from all the other douchebags and go online.

My initial statement still stands, it's neat, but a little knobby.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing editor. Looks like a lot of work went into it.

I agree they could use some content that isn't tattoo influenced. Ed Hardy isn't for everyone.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I'm still not sold on how it plays though, is it just a GTA mmo? I need to see more gameplay videos.
    I'd like to see how it plays moment-to-moment as well, cause it might end up just being a pretty shit shooter, but it sounds like their matchmaking/mission structure is pretty brilliant at least.

Basically it dynamically pits you against other players (enforcers vs criminals) in various ways depending on where you are, what you're doing, how strong you are, etc. So you can be a really strong badass robbing a bank and then 8 newbie enforcers get given a mission to team up and stop you, or vice versa.

That alone has me pretty stoked. It's finally a developer actually taking advantage of the MULTIPLAYER part of MMO's to do things you can't do in a single player game. Which, you know, was the entire point of MMO's to begin with.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm dead set on making a nasty biker gang so I hope I can get some realistic beer gut morphs, so far it looks the fattest you can get is body builder who fell behind on his diet.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    we could make a polycount gang! with stippers and blackjack!
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Character Editor looks great. I hope more games start to have that level of customization. My only worry is that the modern day, cops verses robbers setting might hold the gameplay back.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah. Somebody, who shall remain unnamed, showed me this stuff awhile back. Incredible. I f'ing love customization, especially if it manages to still look good despite being so piecemeal.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    i heard its a cool game
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Will I still get to be officer bob strangling street dopes?
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    This looks really cool and I'm somewhat impressed, but I don't think I will bother with this game.

The whole total customization thing in games really irritates me. I do want to have everything already made and when I want to be meticulous and do something really interesting, I would rather just draw/model it. Usually in-game editors are too limited anyway. I feel like this level of customization is made totally for people who aren't artists and can't just boot up Zbrush and make a kick ass character. I guess the other side of it is that you get to use what you made in the game, and that part of customization is always great, but I don't think it needs to be at this level to give you that kind of satisfaction.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Well, everyone loves being creative. I don't mean to say those are the only people who would enjoy it, just that it is a way for anyone who isn't a modeler to really work their creative juices and make a digital character. But you also get the benefits of being able to use the character in the game, which is great. But the difference is the level of customization. UFC or Wrestling games have tons of it, but it's just so you can have a cool character in the game. The way they've made this sound is (and I hate to draw the comparison) like Second Life. Where people make tattoos, and fashions and get to sell them to other people. And a lot of the focus is on the creation. Maybe I'm wrong, or just crazy, but that's how I see it.

I probably should also have mentioned I love the custom image stuff. I spent ridiculous amounts of time in Animal Crossing and F-Zero GX making custom images in the built in 32x32 paint programs. Being able to make and apply images is cool, I love that.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I like it. The artists+programmers who put together systems like these are basically just making thousands of kickass characters in one go. And you're not crazy about the Second Life part, that's definitely what I was thinking. But since this is all made with graphics the artists working on the game provide, it's interactive art, a game, an art game.

The argument reminds me of a sumi-e simulator I was working on. It was basically just a brush painting program, but the control was a bit off - the brush moved slowly and in swooping curves, lazily following the mouse instead of always snapping to it like an actual art program would. This aspect, this limitation, made it a game of art. "Try to make something using these limited tools." That sort of thing.

The rest of it's just dress-up dolls. Not sure if that's a game. Definitely play, though, and fun in a weird way. Seems like they're trying to make a game out of "looking cool," but that's personal opinion, leaving it simply... interactive art. Just 'cause I can make a character myself from scratch doesn't mean I won't want to play with someone else's art, though... that's like an actor never watching movies because he acts in them. Or like a chef only ever tasting his own food.

As for the game being focused on creation, I hope that's not the case, I hope there's more to do than that and socialize. Seems there will be. There are going to be subscribers to the game who enjoy the creative bits, and will center their play around trading their creations, but not everyone who plays the game will be so into it. Player economies rely on this, and hopefully having more than one way to play the game will net a greater playerbase... preventing launch from falling on its face.

Just about given up hope for originality in MMOs these days; they always look promising, but end up more of the same... here's hoping APB succeeds in mixing up the genre at least a little bit. [/optimist]
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    For anyone who doubts the badassness of the character editor:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7XwjXgKP9g[/ame]

All those were made in game :)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    thats fucking badassed hahahah love it.. waaaaaaaant
  • javi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    javi polycounter lvl 16
    thats pretty amazing!
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    adam wrote: »
    I wonder if it'll look this well in game. Seems pretty high-res for an MMO.

It's supposed to be 100 players max per server, so I'm guessing it won't be terribly taxing on people's machines. What I wonder is how can people spend years playing MMOs.

I mean this game looks interesting and all, but I friggin' hate the whole genre.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    t4paN wrote: »
    What I wonder is how can people spend years playing MMOs.

take that attitude and apply it to any genre to see how silly it is. take for example: "I wonder how people can spend years playing (the same) First Person Shooters. especially since nothing about the game play changes once it's released and new maps don't get released often if at all." :poly124: :poly121:
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Asherr wrote: »
    take that attitude and apply it to any genre to see how silly it is. take for example: "I wonder how people can spend years playing (the same) First Person Shooters. especially since nothing about the game play changes once it's released and new maps don't get released often if at all." :poly124: :poly121:

Actually, I wasn't being metaphorical about "years", I was saying "I wonder how it is possible for people to have logged one year and more in real hours playing the same instanced dungeons". You know, where WoW tells you that you've been playing for an absurd amound of days? Not as in 2 hours per day, but 24 hours times x amount of days.

And yeah, I just said "same instanced".
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7XwjXgKP9g

I Lol'ed :)
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I mean this game looks interesting and all, but I friggin' hate the whole genre.

If you don't like MMOs, don't play them.

If you don't like tattoos, don't apply them.

If you don't like character customization, use a preset.

If you do want to spend time on a forum telling people how much you hate something you haven't played yet, don't reproduce.

The character customization tools here are impressive. I've often disliked character customization in many games. They include many options, but sacrifice visual quality and believability. But I've anxious to play around with this editor. I'll likely spend hours alone making tattoos and decals.

And I was excited about this game long ago simply for the car chases. I hope they get it right.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMOs are such a blanket statement anyway - why not call CoD 4 multiplayer an MMO?
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Massively multiplayer, Justin. As in, having over hundreds or maybe thousands of players per server. I'd say a 100 player server shouldn't be called an MMO. That's very borderline to me. But I guess if it's got persistant character development and an open world, that might help tip the scale. CoD4 has no character developmnent, is not a large, open world, and does not support hundreds of players per server.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    COD4 has character development: you earn xp, gain levels and unlock items/abilities
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    If you don't like MMOs, don't play them.

If you don't like tattoos, don't apply them.

If you don't like character customization, use a preset.

If you do want to spend time on a forum telling people how much you hate something you haven't played yet, don't reproduce.

The character customization tools here are impressive. I've often disliked character customization in many games. They include many options, but sacrifice visual quality and believability. But I've anxious to play around with this editor. I'll likely spend hours alone making tattoos and decals.

And I was excited about this game long ago simply for the car chases. I hope they get it right.

How about taking your own advice and if you don't like another user's post, don't reply to it?

And btw, when I say "this game looks interesting but I hate the genre it's based on" is not saying "i hate this particular game", is it? So maybe you should take your other sage advice there, and fuck off. No, wait - that's my advice.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    nice, this makes me want to play the game
    something i haven't said for a while
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    now now ladies..
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    How about taking your own advice and if you don't like another user's post, don't reply to it?

And btw, when I say "this game looks interesting but I hate the genre it's based on" is not saying "i hate this particular game", is it? So maybe you should take your other sage advice there, and fuck off. No, wait - that's my advice.

or how about you don't play MMO's and let people who enjoy them, play.
    its friggin games, get over it already.
    people play games to relax, and have fun, in whichever way they want.
    and different people, have different ways of having fun.
    some people like stabbing people with rambo knives, and pulling their guts out while blood is gushing over their faces, some people enjoy wandering aimlessly, and yet others enjoy riding around on pink ponys in unicorn land.
    therefore its very .. hmmm.. judgemental(inset better word)... of you to tell people that they should play games that you play, or else.
    thats the kind of shit which put khomedinejad in trouble the last few weeks.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Keep this thread on topic before I bitch slap all you asswipes! :D
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf wrote: »
    khomedinejad

lmao
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Slum wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7XwjXgKP9g

Haha that's great! I was wondering if you could make something else than straight out of MTV douchebags with it :D!
    Now where's Levelord and John Romero??
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    All I know is I'm going to make charaters from the gta series with it!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Taken from BluesNews:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Gamers can purchase a retail version of APB either in-store or via digital download at standard retail price of SRP $49.99. The game includes 50 hours of action gameplay out of the box plus unlimited time in APB's social districts customizing, socializing and trading in the marketplace. Once the 50-hours are up, players have flexibility: top up their game time from as little as SRP $6.99 for an additional 20 hours, or opt to purchase a 30-day unlimited package for only SRP $9.99 with discounts available for 90 and 180 days. In addition to this flexible payment model, players can also earn game time by actually playing the game. APB provides avenues for accomplished gamers or creators to earn rewards for their creativity and subsidize their ongoing costs with their in-game efforts.[/FONT]
    Nope. Looks like I won't be online with this game after 50 hours. Play it, look at how much fun it was, then put it away. XBox Live Gold is pushing it for me as it is. I wonder how much grinding you have to do to get "free time"?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    $7 for 20 hours sounds like a lot, but isn't $10 for 30 days a normal price? I thought WoW was 15 per month?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now this is the kind of subscription system I like. $10 for 30 days is as Xoliul said, pretty much the standard price from the leading MMO's give or take a few Dollars.

I would much rather pay out that $10 a month and have the potential to 'earn' playtime than pay nothing a month and get a beating from a team of kids who used Dad's credit card to buy the 'zomg rocket launcher 5000' which you can get after 450000 hours of playtime, or by buying it outright for $50.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I'm interested in what they mean by creators, can you make your own custom content or something?
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not liking the payment method. Its not a conventional mmorpg its a primarily competitive game, it just doesnt feel right. Thats just my opinion.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm interested in what they mean by creators, can you make your own custom content or something?

It has a decal system similar to Forza and other racing games, check this guy's blog out to see how in depth you can get.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi wrote: »
    I'm not liking the payment method. Its not a conventional mmorpg its a primarily competitive game, it just doesnt feel right. Thats just my opinion.

Yeah I agree, I didn't want to comment on the actual game since I already got warned about the NDA but what you've said is spot on in my opinion.

It's incredibly repetitive and for this reason, I think it's unfortunately destined to fail.

From a consumers point of view, I think the biggest factor that should be included when designing and maintaining an MMO / MMORPG is a reason for the playerbase to keep wanting more and coming back.

If they expect people to pay month after month, then they need to give people a reason to want to keep paying and I don't think APB does.

It's a lot of fun, for the first few hours or so, and it may be something you wanna jump onto for a couple hourse every so often but there's little in the way of incentive to justify a monthly subscription.

In that respect, the option to purchase 'hours' is pretty good, and I would expect that to be the most popular choice.

Another huge problem with the game is balance. From what I've experienced, all players regardless of level play in the same zone so you can be up against guys who've logged 100 hours or whatever despite only just starting, this is where the fact it uses a stat based upgrade system kinda ruins it.

In CoD for example, you have access to some decent weaponry from the outset and your skill level will help determine how you get on with the game. In APB, you start with a weak pistol and need to either be some inhuman ninja that can take out the opposition who're armed with much stronger weaponry with said pistol, or you just need to clock a whole lot of time earning a matter of Cents until you can afford the next weapon up.

Or WoW, where you're 'looked after' in the starting zones and given plenty of time to upgrade and gain experience before you're let out into the contested zones. And even when you are, the majority of the players sharing the zone with you (with a few exceptions of occasional high level players travelling through) will be of similar level.

I may have missed something though or they might change it, but as far as I can see, that's how it works.