Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - mainac™

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
maniac™ polycounter lvl 8
Final

3f4463209754.jpg

Hi! I am slightly late with start, but i like tf2 very much and don't want to miss an opportunity to participate in this cool contest.
My favorite class in tf2 is soldier, so i will try to make some interesting items for him. And my first will be new primary weapon. It's assault rifle with suspended rocket launcher, as prototype i took AK47. I think it maybe add some new interesting features for soldier.
Screenshots of my progress is coming soon...

Replies

• maniac™
    Offline / Send Message
    My current progress
    f6173929a67a.jpg
  • Karkasmolenklok
    You don't want it to look too modern or realistic.
  • nex
    You don't want it to look too modern or realistic.
    actually ak-47 is in use since '49... so its not modern...

awesome idea maniac :D
  • Karkasmolenklok
    nex wrote: »
    actually ak-47 is in use since '49... so its not modern...
    Yes you are correct that in 1950 it had existed historically for one year in the soviet union.

But I'm telling you that trying to put a very real weapon in the hands of the soldier (or any team fortress character, mind you) when frankly every weapon in team fortress is an exaggerated parody of other weapons or completely made up is not going to do well.

You have to remember what makes the TF2 style what it is. An AK in the hands of the soldier just doesn't make much sense for a lot of reasons.
  • maniac™
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes you are correct that in 1950 it had existed historically for one year in the soviet union.

But I'm telling you that trying to put a very real weapon in the hands of the soldier (or any team fortress character, mind you) when frankly every weapon in team fortress is an exaggerated parody of other weapons or completely made up is not going to do well.

You have to remember what makes the TF2 style what it is. An AK in the hands of the soldier just doesn't make much sense for a lot of reasons.

Thanks for remark Karkasmolenklok. But it will not 100% copy of AK, i'm going to add some details that make this item closer to TF2 style. When i finish, it will look absolutely harmoniously, i hope :poly121:

Thanks nex, i'm glad that you like my idea.
  • Khthon
    Well, if you're stuck on this AK concept, I suggest you rethink the proportions of the gun to be more exaggerated. TF2 weapons don't follow normal proportion.
  • maniac™
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, guys, take a look on this. I tried to take into account your wishes about proportions. Waiting for new comments and crits :)

c8d1f5739ae7.jpg

Of course this is not finished diffuse map, just AO+color.

2ddb2ce8461c.jpg

Seems he likes a new toy :)
  • Snowloss
    Model's shaping up nice... Instead of a banana mag, how about a drum?
    It'd make it stand out even more.
  • Mico27
    Marvelous, I wish so many weapon on this contest to get ingame!
  • jgoodroad
    valve isn't a fan of assault rifles in TF2, so my guess is that it would fire grenades, not bullets. (use the grenade launcher)...food for thought.
  • Snowloss
    If he went that route he could always just cork the barrel for comedic effect.
  • nex
    i agree with jgoodroad that VALVe isnt a big fan of assault rifles...and you cant make rocket launcher from this gun...

so,i have some idea here...you can make shotgun attachment...(i got idea from BC2)

i guess its fits 60'-70' technology and pretty much solves your problem...

? :poly142:
  • Snowloss
    Worse comes to worse, he could always just finish it and send it into the Contribute page.
  • Reaprar
    I'm gunna tell you right now, this will not get in for a number of reasons.

First and foremost, the soldier does not currently have an automatic weapon.
    Giving him one will upset game balance.
    Secondly, it's still too realistic, and not because of the model or texturing, just the idea in general. Tell me, what weapon in this game makes use in modern combat situations? Not one of them. The AK47 is still being used today, so it makes no sense.
    Thirdly, putting a rocket/grenade launcher along with the supposed automatic fire is a huge mistake, completely overpowered and too much for one weapon. (besides, it's not even attached to anything, how would that even reload?)

This was a bad idea to start with, and it's a shame you went and spent so much time on it.
  • maniac™
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all crits, but, i want try to realize my original idea with this weapon. You right, there are no assault rifles in TF2 and this fact makes my experiment more interesting for me. I don't want to do just another rocket launcher, because i have no interesting ideas how new RL may differ in gameplay. Just wish to try soldier in slightly different role.
  • Atten
    Wow, I'm really impressed. If any assault rifle style weapon is added to TF2, this would be it. The style fits perfectly. After seeing your first concept I was sure that this was destined for failure, but you really turned it around.
  • Psyke
    oh wow. i was. really skeptical when you said an ak, ( first thing that came to mind was hurrr call of duty hurrr counterstrike ) but it's so well blended with tf2's style it just looks brilliant!
  • Snowloss
    I'm still not sold on the thought of a rel weapon being in TF2.
    The assault rile is interesting, but I'd say keep playing around with the weapon, really make it your own.
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    when I saw your AK I thought, oh, wow! this guys hit it on the nail! The style suits tf2 seamlessly, you did a great job exaggerating the proportions. Id like to see what else you have instore for the war walker.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    The AK looks great so far but I agree that Assault Rifles have no place in TF2. It's not "slightly" changing the soldiers role. It completely changes it. It goes from splash explosion damage to precision bullet damage which is a pretty huge change and completely changes the way you'd play him and what he'd be able to do in the game.

It's ultimately your choice if you want to continue with it though.
  • Hotdogbunker
    Looks great my friend. Maybe add some intricate detail on the magazine like this...
    ak1030.jpg
    or this
    Tapco_AK_Magazine.jpg
  • BANG!
    Its very well done i like how it looks but i doubt that will get picked by Valve.
  • Khthon
    Your proportion re-do makes it perfect TF2 style. Are you going to custom animate? I don't see this using RL or Shotgun animations.
  • Reixi2525
  • maniac™
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I'm back, finally I have enough time for some updates. Thanks for all compliments and crits, try to answer some of your questions.

2Reaprar: Because of you I must break the terms of contest and explain to you some of my ideas about gameplay for rifle. I think it must increase speed of soldier, but the damage done by the bullets will be somewhere between the damage of a shotgun and the damage of RL. Barrel-attached RL will reload like a scout's ball, that allow the soldier to continue to do rocketjumps from time to time, or be able for one rocket strike to the enemies. And, I think, this item will be the perfect couple with Buff Banner. So, as you can see, this weapon does not make a soldier omnipotent. About realism and modernity I will not argue with you, that's your opinion, but tell me why I should feel shame for what I have my own. :poly121:

2Zipfinator: Ok, assault rifle will change soldiers role completely, but similar changes have already been when Valve added Charge'N'Targe for Demoman. I think that all of new items are changing gameplay, but I don't think that is bad, you can always decide for yourself to play or not play with a new weapon.

2Hotdogbunker: I take into account your comments, look how well, I think it's better now. :)

2Khthon: Will be happy to do custom animations for my rifle, if I have enough free time. Unfortunately it depends not only on me.

Texture of rifle is currently wip, I finish it soon. But today I want to represent my second item, it is a hat that I call Apache, like nickname of one of the characters of "Inglorious Basterds" movie, Lt. Aldo Raine. When you look at it you'll understand why, I hope :)

33f0c3f92cc6.jpg

And some renders of my Apache:

91dc18c54527.jpg

4e5c449264cf.jpg

6ee5ef80ecb5.jpg

74d5dc465bc1.jpg

3870dc4fbdf5.jpg

So, what do you think about it? :)
  • Khthon
    If you want your rifle in it will need custom jobs by you or friends my man, I know 'if you have time' but...I really want to see this in game and it will only happen if you figure animation/sound out.
  • Mizzymizzy
    Cover the Soldier's eyes. >:[
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Mizzymizzy wrote: »
    Cover the Soldier's eyes. >:[
    I agree, there are no hats that leave the eyes uncovered for the soldier. Its part of his character to have his eyes hidden
  • Xeramon
    Khthon wrote: »
    If you want your rifle in it will need custom jobs by you or friends my man, I know 'if you have time' but...I really want to see this in game and it will only happen if you figure animation/sound out.

Dont agree with you, i like that hat.
  • Fragus
    The rifle needs a whole new script and animations to it. Even if you do animations, it doesn't shoot rockets. You can do as much experiments as you want, but honestly, this AK will not win. The hat is cool, though I don't think that the idea is fresh.
  • The Scrub
    Soldier is versatile and so is AR(in most games anyway) so it makes sense to give him one of these.
    a Soldier fits in any situation and (again in most games) the AR does too

I approve because this would really stir things up a bit.
    before anyone says that isn't his role look at the demoknight
  • Mico27
    EVIL wrote: »
    I agree, there are no hats that leave the eyes uncovered for the soldier. Its part of his character to have his eyes hidden

wrong.
    -bill's hat
    -gibus
    -hatless hat

tough those are multiclass hat so maybe it doesnt count.
  • Jamesbond
    It will be interesting to see this in-game and maybe Valve can put it in the game in such a way that its balanced. Thankfully only spies/snipers do headshots so you shouldn't have any counter-strike guys headshot you a mile away with this and the grenade/rocket thing sounds intriging and I think it will add personal choices for weather you want to sacrefice the rockets for a every-now-and-then rocket and an assault rifle.

I know the rules say that you have to have a wep that has the same mechanic (minigun is a minigun and a flamethrower is a flamethrower) but it fits the soldier and I would love to have one of these. GL

P.S Hat looks good but... whats your theme? Is it WW2 or something else?
  • CrazyChicken
    As much as I like the AK-47, I think it would be more fitting if you had a tommy gun with jerry rigged grenade launcher on it. This type of tommy gun.
    Tommy_Gun.JPG

And maybe the grenade launcher could be a sawed off M79 grenade launcher. Like have the barrel and stock cut to fit under the gun. I think it fits the soldiers personality more. These are just some ideas.
    m24.weapons.m79.jpg
  • maniac™
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all replies, guys! Here are answers to some questions and proposals about the hat and the rifle:

About contest requirements: I thought for the contest are required only a model and texture, all the rest optional, or I'm wrong?

About covered eyes: I tried to cover them, but could not get a good result, probably because all the soldier's hats, unlike my, are helmets, whereas my hat is closer to Bill's beret.

About theme: Yes, my theme WW2, sorry that I had not mentioned this.

About tommy gun and grenade launcher: As I wrote, I will not make such big changes, because I am interested to realize my own idea.

And today I would like to present to your attention my third item. A melee weapon which is called "The Field Kitchen".
    Each soldier had been in a situation where because of injuries he had to retreat. And it often happens that your team does not have a single medic, or he is very far away, and all medkits are used by your teammates. Heavies in this situation take out sandwiches or chocolate, but what about the soldier...

faf0cc0149b6.jpg

Model and texture are not final.
  • maniac™
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone, take a look at my rifle and its texture, which I almost finished, I think. I plan to add some more scratches on the metal parts.

840e2ce2aa2e.jpg

a4da2f533303.jpg
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    make it. let valve decide if its usable or not. atleast you've made a cool model for you portfolio!!
  • nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    I agree with oobersli, regardless of what valve may think, that is one awesome gun! The field kitchen is shaping up nicely as well. Keep it up :thumbup:
  • Khthon
    One of the best looking TF2 styled props I've seen for this contest, even if it doesn't get in because of constraints from Valve, it is a perfect portfolio builder.
  • maniac™
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your comments. Here are my final models and textures.

111676f2d5f8.jpg

655a9cc11444.jpg

deb766ba0599.jpg
  • Khthon
  • maniac™
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you!

And my final sheet.

finalwa.jpg
  • Simski
    Ah, darn.
    Your host is messed up.
  • REKLAS
    Awesome work here, original ideas and very well executed. Definitely my favorite Soldier pack :)

I hope you have custom animations for these items so Valve might actually use them in the poses/animations they would require *concerned*
  • Khthon
    I don't think he does. I hope he animates after the contest and submits as a Update to Contribute.
  • Ikimono
    "The Soldier class was specifically designed to never have a rifle weapon..."

Whoops. Sorry for inserting that quote from the development staff.
  • Dr. Waldo Fehr
    Ikimono, IDK if you're grumpy or whetever, but stop being an ass. This has been stated before, and he chose to disregard that warning.
  • Psyke
    i hope that valve would consider this pack just for the awesome hat and food pail

it'd be awesome to see!
  • Simski
    Ikimono, IDK if you're grumpy or whetever, but stop being an ass. This has been stated before, and he chose to disregard that warning.
    As much of a good modeler he may be, I think that's quite a bad thing to disregard. If it is officially said that the class will never have a certain kind of weapon, you're kind of out of your luck when you create that certain kind of weapon anyway.

So while I think he's a good modeler, I sadly don't think his entry is a likely winner.
    Not only are the models too function based, one of them is based on a function that Valve don't want in the game.

I do like that kitchen thingie though, and I hope it might be picked sometime later from the contribution page.
  • REKLAS
    It could always just function solely as a grenade (/rocket) launcher and not fire any bullets. (Grenades that explode on contact so it'd be just like the current Rocket Launcher but with a very slight arch to each shot) Thus it would play very similarly to how the Soldier currently plays. Problem solved.

Still would need animations though. ...Sparkwire?