Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - mainac™

Replies

• Simski
    REKLAS wrote: »
    It could always just function solely as a grenade (/rocket) launcher and not fire any bullets. (Grenades that explode on contact so it'd be just like the current Rocket Launcher but with a very slight arch to each shot) Thus it would play very similarly to how the Soldier currently plays. Problem solved.

Still would need animations though. ...Sparkwire?
    If I made a Minigun for Pyro, with a zippo lighter attached to it in front... and the Minigun model was the most awesome one you ever still seen.. do you really think Valve would accept my model and make it fire normal flames?

I don't think Valve would accept a weapon that looks like a Minigun but acts like a Flamethrower, I think they'd rather accept a weapon that looks like a Flamethrower and acts like a Flamethrower.

No offense, but let's be reasonable here.
  • Ikimono
    Simski wrote: »
    As much of a good modeler he may be, I think that's quite a bad thing to disregard. If it is officially said that the class will never have a certain kind of weapon, you're kind of out of your luck when you create that certain kind of weapon anyway.

So while I think he's a good modeler, I sadly don't think his entry is a likely winner.
    Not only are the models too function based, one of them is based on a function that Valve don't want in the game.
    ^ Very eloquently said. Covers pretty much all my concerns about the pack :S
  • Mr.Tomato
    Simski wrote: »
    If I made a Minigun for Pyro, with a zippo lighter attached to it in front... and the Minigun model was the most awesome one you ever still seen.. do you really think Valve would accept my model and make it fire normal flames?

I don't think Valve would accept a weapon that looks like a Minigun but acts like a Flamethrower, I think they'd rather accept a weapon that looks like a Flamethrower and acts like a Flamethrower.

No offense, but let's be reasonable here.

Its not like a little zipper, though.
    It can shoot like snipers SMG.
  • REKLAS
    A rifle with a grenade launcher that acts like a rifle with a grenade launcher sounds fairly reasonable. ...he would just be too busy launching grenades to fire the rifle.

I just think it's lame to discount this item when it could very well work just fine gameplay wise. It's up to Valve anyways to decide that.
  • maniac™
    Offline / Send Message
    maniac™ polycounter lvl 8
    As I once already written...

...I think 'The Double Strike' must increase speed of soldier, but the damage done by the bullets will be somewhere between the damage of a shotgun and the damage of RL (approximately 1.5 times more powerful than the sniper's SMG, I think). Barrel-attached RL will reload like a scout's ball, that allow the soldier to continue to do rocketjumps from time to time, or be able for one rocket strike to the enemies. And, I think, this item will be the perfect couple with Buff Banner...

If Valve will not approve my items, all right, it was interesting to take part in this contest anyway. Moreover, it was enough people who liked my work, and a rifle in particular.

I agree that the rifle is a controversial choice, but, rules exist to be broken, isn't it :)

And yes, I still didn't make animations, but I'll try soon.
  • Thomas Truong
    Valve says a lot of things.

Paraphrasing here:

"There will never be items that disallow you to attack" - Pre Bonk
    "Items in the TF2 universe will stay true to the style" - Pre Contribute
    "There will never be another Valve game on the PS3" - Pre Portal 2

And I'm not blaming Valve at all, because things change in the gaming world. So while you should have concern that the Rifle would get axed for the function alone, it's not like it's immediately disqualified. Plus, I think the modeling is great.
  • Ikimono
    Seriously, the game is designed to not be like any other game on the market, giving the soldier class a rifle would turn the game into any other first person shooter. It's a bad idea.

it may work though with the grenades only (though holding 4 grenades inside that tiny chamber is even more of a stretch than 4 rockets inside one of the launchers) :P
    However, noobtubes in TF2? My mind is wrenching at the idea
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I'm echoing the sentiments of Ikimono and many others as well. It's VERY nicely modeled and textured but the point of this contest is to create new weapons that share the same animations as existing weapons or creating new animations. Yet none of the weapons have drastic gameplay changes as big as your rifle. It just won't work in TF2. I'm sick of noob tubes in Call of Duty, I don't want it in TF2 as well.
  • vcool
    Ever heard of Saiga?

SaigaDone.jpg

It's a shotgun.

If Valve likes it, they'll accept it. As a possible function, maybe it shoots faster but does even less damage than the standard shotgun.
  • Thomas Truong
    Ikimono wrote: »
    Seriously, the game is designed to not be like any other game on the market, giving the soldier class a rifle would turn the game into any other first person shooter. It's a bad idea.

it may work though with the grenades only (though holding 4 grenades inside that tiny chamber is even more of a stretch than 4 rockets inside one of the launchers) :P
    However, noobtubes in TF2? My mind is wrenching at the idea

I'm feeling grenades or small rockets (They do exist in a limited capacity) would work out for the gun as well, as I (and others do) don't feel a flat out rifle would work for the soldier and the gamplay of TF2. But even if it's closer to the MW2 Grenade attachment, with the speed of some projectiles like the Direct Hit and Huntsman, a noob tube grenade isn't that farfetched in terms of speed. And in exchange, it could also do very small amounts of damage with just large amounts of concussion (poof effect) or something to make up for what appears to be a fast firing speed. The arcing skills required to properly land a Noob Tube in MW2 is somewhat similar to the Demoman's need to arc as well.

He also has two weeks to adjust his design anyway, like perhaps increase the size of the barrel so it could actually hold a Rocket. Or it could just be a Rifle that has a broken main firing mechanism and just relies on said grenade launching capabilities. Knowing the Soldier's persona, a number of weapons he may have collected are either faulty or second handed.
  • bunivasal
    I could see this as a shotgun sidegrade, if nothing else.
  • Aceguy
    BEST WEAPON FOR SOLLY I'VE EVER SEEN! [I MEAN AK47]
  • Fragus
    Ummm...
    Design work on the AK began in 1944. In 1946 a version of the rifle, the AK-46, was presented for official military trials, and a year later the fixed stock version was introduced into service with select units of the Red Army. An early development of the design was the AKS-47 (S—Skladnoy or "folding"), which differed in being equipped with an underfolding metal shoulder stock. The AK-47 was officially accepted by the Soviet Armed Forces in 1949 and used by the majority of the member states of the former Warsaw Pact.
    *Wikipedia
  • Hotdogbunker
    Could we possibly see this in first person? I'd like to see how the soldier would look with it on. :D
  • ZoraKirby
    Hey! whud ar wee doing heer? Giving du soljer a assawt wifle? That's a big no-no. Dat wood be just wike giveen du sniper an weepwacement foa da snipa wifle dats not a snipa wifle!

........ Oh... Wait. They DID that. The HUNTSMAN. does that ring a bell? the huntsman replaced a primary weapon that was NOT a bow & arrow. So what's wrong with this? nothing. In fact, this entry is the best, most unique entry i have seen. To all of you who don't think this would be a good idea, ask yourself this: "does the Soldier really NEED another rocket launcher?" Another thing- the soup pot. Has anyone noticed that ALL of the other secondary weapons in other entries are Virtually CLONES of already existing secondary weapons for that class? Like the tankbuster entry. the Battalion's back-up? Oh. how creative, making a new HORN when he already had one. This, on the other hand, is the most creative entry i have seen. And frankly, the soldier is a long-range offensive class. An assault rifle IS long-range, and, obviously, bullets wont be as powerfull as rockets. TF2 has a shortage of machine guns anyway (by the way, I'm not a fan of COD), and plus, it would be nice to see some change.