Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - re.wind

Replies

• SixTwoSixFour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "The Ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli son of Gloin, by any craft that we possess...."

The beard is freakin' epic. I love the rocket launcher, and the wolf hat is great as well. So what's the current plan- are those three going to be your unlocks? We haven't seen any stuff for the axe or horn for a while now.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soldier_headwear_05.jpg
    The mustache might stand some beefing up, imho.

As for the launcher, I can not believe you took that idea and made it work so damn well!

Don't listen to all the doubters, there's nothing this unique in the contest anywhere else! :)
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    contest says at least three items, so unless they've been tightened up, or if i'm imagining things, mis-read the rules, mis-remember the rules, or otherwise am typing/remembering/other out of my ass, i've got one for every slot now, and plan to submit all of them.

main: rocket launcher replacement
    secondary: buff banner replacement
    melee: viking axe
    hat: Wolfskin
    misc: Beard.

If i were to pick any one of those that i would drop, i'd actually go for the wolfskin, mainly due to the texture. ballista isn't going to be much of a problem, as its not going to be furry. sure, uvmapping is a pain, creating textures is tedious etc. and all, but i'd rather uvmap & texture a 20k tris man-made weapon of doom than a 400 tris wolfskin hat. In tf2 style.
  • RoronoaDSanji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to me, i like the wolf hat better, yes , the texture is not as good, but the idea is good, beard feels not so "solider" but it fits ur theme.

u got everything done now! just some detail, and the animation for rocket
  • Boo Dude5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The horn takes same time to accumulate rage but when activated heals everyone like a lvl 1 dispenser for 20 secs. Explanation: Everyone you hurt bleeds into your Drinking Horn. More 'rage' the more your Horn gets filled with blood. When you use it you splash the blood on your shield and the shield 'mystically' turns it into health. Might wanna make effects and stuff for those things
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe instead of having the X eye just painted in white over it, I'd see it more like this way:
    wolfhead.jpg
    and using a normal map to make the X' edge stand out a bit more.
  • Kalva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd prefer to see the X's as a more apparent stitching, white thread, popping out through bump map or actual model in a cartoonish, TF2 way.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dickless wrote: »
    In another thread (for this contest) someone had emailed valve about taking a valve-made model and adapting it. They said it was fine. For such a minor detail as the projectiles I'm sure they won't mind, after all if he made his own grenades they wouldn't match the existing grenades the soldier has and would therefore look out of place.

Ah, I didn't know.
    Could you perhaps provide a link?
    Not because I doubt you, but because I'm curious about what they said exactly :O

On the subject of the models again, I don't like the Wolf hat thingie...
    It looks a bit out of place and the model looks a bit weird...

The beard is coo, but I think it should be closer to his mouth.
    It goes too far out, it makes him look like a monkey.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw the email in a thread, too. Someone was adapting the base shotgun and emailed Valve. The only answer to "Can I adapt existing models like this?" was "Sure." by Robin Walker.

So seems fine. Can't find the thread atm, though.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: »
    I saw the email in a thread, too. Someone was adapting the base shotgun and emailed Valve. The only answer to "Can I adapt existing models like this?" was "Sure." by Robin Walker.

So seems fine. Can't find the thread atm, though.
    Ah, that's good then.

I'm not modeler yet, and it's very doubtful that I could learn to model properly before the contest is over.
    However if I did, I had an idea for a Pyro primary that involved using the old flamethrower but making it look heavily modified.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modified in what way?
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: »
    Modified in what way?
    New tanks, different pipes, additional items... etc.

Most likely it would break the rules though, I enjoy the idea of basing weapons on new functions way too much. I won't go into detail what exactly I would add however, I'm way too paranoid that some better modeler would think my theme was a good idea :O
  • nofacej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm no 3d modeller, but I was intrigued when I read about this challenge and ended up finding my way here. Yours is shaping up to be one of my favourite entries, but I think the beard could really do with some work. Here's a little paint over I did in about 30 seconds to show you the direction I think you should be going in:
    beardp.jpg
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Win. Done. Although i'm not sure if i can get the braids as geometry and still be anywhere ear the triangle count. :P
  • Karkasmolenklok
    re.wind wrote: »
    Win. Done. Although i'm not sure if i can get the braids as geometry and still be anywhere ear the triangle count. :P
    You can cheat a lot with texturing though.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's what I meant by beefing the mustache up! Now THAT is a manly stache my friends!
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went for leather straps instead. meh...

Hat is <500tris, beard is <600tris, both using single opaque 256 texture in these renders.

soldier_headwear_08.jpg
    soldier_headwear_09.jpg
    soldier_headwear_10.jpg

And a render with everything i've made featuring the tyrant's helmet.

soldier_axe_composite_57.jpg

P.s. I feel like remaking that drinking horn, it somehow feels wrong :(
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the horn looks fine. If you're worried about plainness, maybe just add some damage textured on? Beer/mead stains on the horn, burns from explosions?

I still can't believe how amazing that Launcher is.

I don't know how anyone else could match what you've made so far.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, i'm humbled :)

At least i need to make another pass on the axe, shield, & horn textures now that i have proper brushes and know how to make tf2 textures more easily. Was using stock photoshop textures for everything so far.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bit of blood and texture reworking to break up the otherwise empty flat areas.

soldier_axe_composite_58.jpg
  • McLovin_Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McLovin_Master polycounter lvl 7
    What will you do for the textures for the new launcher. I think it could look amzing if you can find the right ones.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't like the texture on the Axe handle, it looks too plastic.

Did you create a new texture for the shield?
    It looks good, but I'm not sure if you changed to your own texture rather than the Valve created one yet.

I don't like the wolf hat at all... it looks too blocky and out of place >:

The beard is nice though, and the Ballista is awesome.
    Perhaps your beard color should better match Soldier's hair color though.
    I know you and a lot of other people enjoy the idea of having it blond, but it just looks very strange when shown on a helmet less soldier.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also another thing regarding your beard:
    viking.png?t=1275323955
    (Sorry for not using a fancier program than paint)

Oops, didn't mean to double post.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm, yeah, i need to change that. however....

soldier_profile.jpg
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldier, son of Valve.

Actually, you know what? I could easily adapt half of this stuff for a Dwarven soldier pack...or just convert this? xD

edit: TODO: raise beard to match soldier's 2-day beard.

PROFILE_3.jpg
    PROFILE_4.jpg
  • Baby Stomper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Giant Manly Vikings > Tiny Baby Dwarves.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay, looking better :3

I'm still wondering if the beard color will really work though :S
    viking2.png?t=1275330762

If you're still going with him being a blonde, please make him a new set of eyebrows at least :O
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AHAHAhaah LMAO :D:D

If the soldier did actually show his eyes more, i'd make him some beefy eyebrows to match the beard.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AHAHAhaah LMAO :D:D

If the soldier did actually show his eyes more, i'd make him some beefy eyebrows to match the beard.
    Do it anyway, so we get to see the beefy eyebrows when he dies and the helmet gets blown off :3

Oh and... could you at least just try coloring the beard the same color as Soldier's buzzcut, just to see how it looks like?
    I personally think it would be just as awesome, but also more fitting >.>

If you still want him blonde, just revert the changes.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    I wouldn't mind seeing some colour variations on that beard though, throw up some images of it at different hues for us please.
  • Meower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The wolf on his head should resemble the Guard Dog Imo
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meower wrote: »

All I can say is fuck you. lol
  • Meower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ikimono wrote: »
    All I can say is fuck you. lol
    Why so angry lol
  • EvilShadow777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I lol'd. That'd be kinda funny.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with this notion.
    In fact, make it BE the guard dog... Soldier only assumed it was a Wolf :D
  • dickless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simski wrote: »
    Do it anyway, so we get to see the beefy eyebrows when he dies and the helmet gets blown off :3

Oh and... could you at least just try coloring the beard the same color as Soldier's buzzcut, just to see how it looks like?
    I personally think it would be just as awesome, but also more fitting >.>

If you still want him blonde, just revert the changes.
    I find it pretty funny that the Soldier's hair is a different colour from his beard, plus the colour of his buzzcut is really boring IMHO.

I say keep it blond.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey guys, look: Its a dwarf convention!

DWARF_CONVENTION.jpg

Also, more smothed and less-blocky guard-dog hat.

soldier_headwear_12.jpg
  • EvilShadow777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4 seems to match his current hair best, I'd go with it.
  • Rogue Trooper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4 looks quite good.
  • Cheeezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree 4 is delicious.
  • Meower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1 and 4 work for me :3
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4 it is then. :--)

Next on my list is to rework the axe...
  • RoronoaDSanji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what is wrong with the axe?
    well, but if ur gonna make it even MORE awsome, sure!
    keep up the good work :D
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    1- too pale
    2,3,5 - too orange (he aint ginger!)
    6,7 - too fleshy
    9 - too yellow

That leaves 4 and 9 as the right shade range, a few more similar to those to fine tune that colour further?
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    maybe go for a beard and hair replacement :O
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your wolf hat doesn't look like a wolf, it looks like a plush toy :O
    It's too neatly cut, ferocious looking at all, and it's weirdly shaped at some places.

I like tone 4 for the beard btw :3
  • nofacej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still not feeling the beard. It really doesn't look natural (and I'm talking about form not texture here). It's almost as if he got some putty and rolled it into a sausage like shape and drooped it under his nose. Here's another paint over to try and illustrate my point:
    beardp.jpg
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your wolf hat doesn't look like a wolf, it looks like a plush toy :O
    It's too neatly cut, ferocious looking at all, and it's weirdly shaped at some places.
    Soldier wears silly stuff: Cooking pot. I know what you mean though, but tf2's style is hard to translate into something vicious, especially when organics aren't my forte.

Most images of wolf skin hats don't have a lower jaw, but some do. Having a full teethed upper jaw would help i guess.

The X eyes do help to create a silly nature, yes, and i'm going to play around with the eye styles.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldier wears silly stuff: Cooking pot. I know what you mean though, but tf2's style is hard to translate into something vicious, especially when organics aren't my forte.

Most images of wolf skin hats don't have a lower jaw, but some do. Having a full teethed upper jaw would help i guess.

The X eyes do help to create a silly nature, yes, and i'm going to play around with the eye styles.
    Soldier is more about War than silly, the Wolf's head would look better to look mostly ferocious and only somewhat silly.
    I know it's a hard demand, but I believe it is something you have to do if you want this hat to work :O

Also, I personally don't like how many people use this argument:
    Soldier wears silly stuff: Cooking pot.
    The Cooking pot isn't built on being silly, it is also fulfilling a very amusing stereotype. Most people do not seem to understand that it isn't as much of a "wacky" item as it is a comical reference. Much like how people dont' understand that the Propeller Beanie isn't just built on making the Pyro look "wacky".

To quote the TF2 wiki:
    TF2 Wiki wrote:
    This references the classic comedy gag, where pots and pans are used as improvised armor.
    http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Stainless_pot
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    most hats are references to something. There is no hat that are silly just to be silly.
    (basically what Simski said)