Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - BANG!

Final Entry! Im battin a thousand!

presentationbonk2.jpg

presentationthesodapopp.jpg

cpbadlands0030.jpg

So i saw this on the TF2 blog and i am new here and i can't miss this contest is pretty sweet!

I'll be making weapons for the Scout, since its my favourite class, here's some ideas, though these might not be good because these are gameplay ideas.

-//////////////////////////////////////////////////////// WIP ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

fantk.jpg

Back to the FaN shotgun!

fanx.jpg

I gave up on the shotgun and made some hats =)

These are all viewport screeshots constant shader with diffuse, i might add some stickers to the hats i'll see, i am working on the story and trying to get v models working ingame...

Sorry no concepts or wips i made these in a few hours from scratch on 3D.

hat1l.jpg

hat2p.jpg

hat3e.jpg

hat4i.jpg

wip model

wipl.jpg

Force-A-Nature shotgun replacement sketches:

scoutshotgun.jpg

ingameq.jpg

wipppp.jpg

bonkpistol.jpg

wipwm.jpg

tf2scoutpistol1.jpg

1 - Old School bat ( no name yet)
2 - The Skull Fracture (Might remove blood)
3 - No name
4 - Bonk, sorry i had to do it for fun, probably can't submit it since the logo is not mine

Dismissed, concept ideas (won't be submited)

When i say "or" it doesn't mean it does all of these, just one, i have to decide which.

Name: BING!BONK! or BING!BONG!

Melee weapon: Bat that shoots a bouncy ball (just like sandman) which if bounces 1 to 3(max) times on walls or ground before hitting an opponent will increase the damage for each time it bounces, and might eventually give mini crits for 3 second or speed if you knocked two enemies with one ball.

If first bounces on an enemy is does not multiply damage.

Reload time is about 20 seconds

Negative effects on wearer: - 15 Health

Name: SHOCK BAT! or HIT'N'RUN

Melee weapon: Shoots one sticky-ball or electro-ball or magnetic-ball which can disable engineer's objects(sentry dispenser teleporter)
for 5 seconds, also disables spy invisibly,or removes spy's disguise if you hit it.

Negative effects on wearer: - 15 Health

Reload time is about 20 seconds

Name: Spit Pistol

Secondary weapon: water gun which disable's engineer's (sentry dispenser teleporter) for 5 seconds, when shooting a cloacked enemy spy with it, make its visible because of the water droplets.

Reload time is about 30 seconds

These are just some quick ideas, the bat and the pistol do pretty much the same thing, so i'll probably be picking only one of the two, tell me what you think =)

Replies

• Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Too much text, not enough pictures.
  • BANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree though its better to write down some clear ideas before drawing for me, deadline in 5 weeks no rush =)

Shock Bat Sketch

tf2electrobat.jpg
  • Thatguyoverthere
    Well all are good concepts, I think you may need to stick to a single item because it said it should be tied into a theme. But I think if you do stick to one theme, do the electro-bat, this wouldn't effect game mechanics at all. And remember 1950's theme so the water pistol will fit and same as the BING!BONG! but maybe the electro bat is a little to futuristic, make the ball less elaborate. And the bats good enough as in "thrown together", hope this helps, good concepts. ^^
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    People are getting way to caught up on this 50s business. Take a look at the other items that are in the game. There's plenty of retro futurism going on with a lot of the weapons and engi buildings. Hell, Gravel Pit has a huge death ray built on top of Point C.

Don't think what could exist in a real 1950s. Think pulp sci-fi set in the 50s. Think pre-Golden Eye James Bond.

The elctro bat seems perfectly acceptable for TF2. It's essentially using the same idea as the Sniper's shield after all.
  • cookiecrisps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great Idea man. Scouts get pwn'd by Sentries. IT would be good if they could disable them. And you should make the electro ball be able to bounce around once it hits a sentry, so if a nearby dispensor is nearby it also disables that. Keep up the good work
  • BANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments =D

Yes i agree might be too futuristic, i made the ball have the TF2 log shape, as well as inspired from the capture point, since we've been warned about going off topic by doing gameplay design, i am going to work only on design changes only, i'll come back later to the Electro Bat.

batsdw.jpg

1 - Old School bat ( no name yet)
    2 - The Skull Fracture (Might remove blood)
    3 - No name
    4 - Bonk, sorry i had to do it for fun, probably can't submit it since the logo is not mine.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Number 1 and 3 look interesting enough!
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    number 2 looks brutal!
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    number 4 looks brilliant
    get that real "competitive gameshow" feel from it, it also lookes a tad more refined as a design..really like it alot!
  • Buck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My favs are 3 and 4 :) Nice work
  • Gilboron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3 looks good. I also like the Spit Pistol idea: oh how annoying, hilarious and fitting would a water pistol be for the scout. To craft, Ambassador + Jarate? :P
  • BANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

I wanted to do #3 Bat but it turns out its way too much poly with the leather, a texture is not enough.

(texture not final, trying to get the model ingame still)

BonkBat Model RENDER

bonkw.jpg

Some quick pistol design, definetly going to be something like #4 the others are too futuristic

tf2scoutpistol.jpg
  • Naso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha, number four by far.
  • Betty Hime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Betty Hime polycounter lvl 9
    Naso wrote: »
    Hahaha, number four by far.
    Agreed, i acually thing you could push it even more, make the wings more exaggerated! More concepts that is what you nee mhmm yes!
  • BANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allright help me decide here, the first ones are pretty much the same with small variations.

tf2scoutpistol1.jpg
  • Naso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Number five seems the best all around, good trigger, handle gun shape and the wings are a good length. Try changing the design inside the handle part(the stripes) see what you get.
  • Armanky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4 looks great. You may want to experiment more with the designs on the handle like Naso said, but I'm loving the wings.
  • dickless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4 looks great as it is IMHO.

Also I love that bat.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    id say five, and please tell me the flash mask for the scout is real. pretty much the coolest thing ive ever seen, and i love the idea of the sapper bat. engies dominate scouts too much imo. nice work so far dude!
  • BANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys ^^

Teriyaki - Yeah definetly removing that, i though it was used on the animation but no and its much better without it, thanks.

Duoxan - Yes that hat is virtualy real, i made it and submited like one or two months ago (can't remember) and it didn't get picked by valve so far, i guess it covers too much of the face maybe or didn't please.

Anyway here's a wip of the model, trying to keep it low poly, new to low poly.

wipwm.jpg
  • Betty Hime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Betty Hime polycounter lvl 9
    I still think the silhouette is still too indistinct from the normal pistol, what about making those wings even larger? or the barrel longer?
  • BANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't want to make the wings bigger because then it's going to be a thin wing behind the pistol and will overlap with the souct's hand/arms for the reloading animation but here's bigger if you want:

wip1v.jpg

as for the barrel i had to reduce it, because i am not sure i can't change the position of the shooting effect... if anyone knows about that one, i'd like to know

Here's a comparation to the original, i know it doesn't change too much in general shape, but i'll make it stand out by a different use of colors.

comprk.jpg
  • AyesDyef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The shooting effects should be fine, I think it's all in the compiling process, and should just be a number change in co-ordinates.
  • BANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been taking in mind what most of you said, i wanted to make the cannon laonger but it really makes its proportions too big for the Scout but certainly makes it look too realistic, so i make it smaller makes it look more cartoonish.

WIP texture, no specular this is a 3D render will get it ingame another day...

wippq.jpg
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is one attractive model my friend! What is your theme?

You could go with "A Need for Speed" and make the pistol a larger clip/faster firing but less damage gun and go from there (Wings imply speed, no?). You could go with "Annoying Troublemaker" if you want to have him mess with Engineers and Spies game mechanics like your ideas.

I think you need more of a graphic theme, though, that ties them all together visually.
  • BANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I don't think i'll be doing gameplay changes as the rules says it has to be visual only.

The theme is simple, Scout's prizes won in baseball games, sponsored by BONK! i will be illustrating with a little story once i get all the items done ;)
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like a fun theme! Maybe you could consider a baseball trophy being incorporated into the designs somehow? Strapped to the bat as extra pointy stuff to do damage?
  • BANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will make a baseball collector card as medal probably or i'll think of something else =P
  • dickless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BANG! wrote: »
    Thanks! I don't think i'll be doing gameplay changes as the rules says it has to be visual only.

The theme is simple, Scout's prizes won in baseball games, sponsored by BONK! i will be illustrating with a little story once i get all the items done ;)

I really like the theme, maybe putting "Bonk" somewhere on the pistol might make it a little more obvious though.

Keep up the good work, the baseball card idea sounds great.
  • BANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the stickers over the pistol is a great idea thanks a lot for the feedback =D

I hope its not too colorful, one thing is sure i am going to tone down the yellow on the Bonk Bat or even replace most of the yellow by metal because i just noticed yellow is used in small amounts, i'll see when i put it ingame in TF2.

If you wonder about the "8" it was his baseball player number also he is the 8th brotha!

bonkpistol.jpg
  • Rogue Trooper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is just fantastic.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Digging the radiation symbol, the Bonk! logo not so much.
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work on the pistol dude! I think you could desaturate the "Bonk" logo a bit, it seems too bright and in your face right now.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I think the Bonk logo is alright but I'm not sure about the Red Sox logo. First of all there are probably some copyright issues and secondly it really doesn't add much. It also makes it seem kind of old like he's had it a while (Because of the grungy sticker) and not like he's just won them in a baseball tournament which you said the theme is.
  • BANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much! glad you like it ^^

This is what i first did, but then i put the Bonk logo so people would get it actually is bonk, i have desaturated it a bit as Nrek sugested and Zipfinator, i got rid of red sox logo, yeah besides its red so that would be a problem for blu team.

wipppp.jpg

Next item is the shotgun that's gonna be a lot harder! i want to make it for the Force A Nature, so far I am quite stuck with that design, i really want to keep it working the same way as rules specify plus it just less work to do with the bones/effects things ( it really is a pain to compile the models for TF2)
  • Naso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Epic pistol is epic. Can't wait to see what you come up with for the scatter gun!
  • Meower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey
    Did you read my comment and then made the Bonk! pistol?
    If yes, THANK YOU! IT LOOKS AWESOME! :D
  • EvilShadow777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So we have the awesome bat and pistol, but what's next? You don't have a lot of options for the hat category since there's the Bonk Helm and you've already submitted that awesome mask you made. However I think a "Bonk!" Medal/Pin would work for a misc, or you could make a new scattergun.
  • Naso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scattergun! please not the F.A.N :(
  • EvilShadow777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naso wrote: »
    Scattergun! please not the F.A.N :(
    I think that a good alt for the FaN can be made. Even if the original was a noob cannon, that doesn't mean the alt nessicarily will be. After all, are the Pain Train or the Homewrecker like the Shovel/Bottle or the Fire Ax?
  • dickless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BANG! wrote: »
    I hope its not too colorful, one thing is sure i am going to tone down the yellow on the Bonk Bat or even replace most of the yellow by metal because i just noticed yellow is used in small amounts, i'll see when i put it ingame in TF2.

But the garish colouring is what makes it so great! I don't think it will be a problem, it certainly makes the bat very distinct which is great for differentiating it from the other scout bats. Now that I think about it, however, thats only the RED team colours, the BLU BONK! can has completly different colours! You might want to consider doing a BLU team version as well.
  • Edspear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had an idea for the baseball card medal you had in mind. Just a pair of imaginary team names for the cards (one for red one for blu)
    Blu: The Boston Blu Boobies ("Boobies are Birds" would be their tag line just for the lolz.)
    Red: The Rapid City Runners (Its a city in South Dakota, I was just looking for cities in the US that started with "R")

As for like Athlete names on the cards maybe do stuff thats alliterative or giving the athletes last names that are symbolic for their team like, "Barry 'The Ballboy' Blureagard" or "Eddie 'Reddie' Redhandle".

Hell since these items are things the scout has won or sent in bottlecaps or some other 50's memorabilia for maybe you could use these Fake athletes in some of the designs. i can imagine the scout using a 'Bonk' brand Bat that just so happened to be signed by a famous ballplayer or something.

Just a couple of ideas.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Frankly I think the scoot has enough scatterguns.
  • EvilShadow777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankly I think the scoot has enough scatterguns.
    He has 2 bats and 2 scatterguns. There aren't a lot of options here when this contest requires at least 3 items and only 1 per slot.
  • Meower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know what you need to add to your guns?

STICKERS!
  • wealthofinsight
    Love the Bonk bat.
  • EvilShadow777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meower wrote: »
    You know what you need to add to your guns?

STICKERS!
    For some reason I can imagine Stickers as a whole new game element.

Stickers: Hats for your guns!
  • Meower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For some reason I can imagine Stickers as a whole new game element.

Stickers: Hats for your guns!

lol, let's hope not
    but seriously, they'd fit with his juvenile behaviour. They could be anything, but I'd love if it were about the Badlands Brawlers :D
    Come to think about it, no one ever made their team emblem, right?
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope you put some BONK! bottle caps (comes in glass bottles too I reckon) somewhere in your designs. Maybe tied around the bat somewhere and jiggle boned on cords.