Home General Discussion

Monster Hunter 3 tri

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
[MILES] polycounter lvl 17
Anyone else from polycount getting MH3tri (state-side). This will be my first time with the series, although I did play through the demo that was released a little while back.

Replies

• Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    You will love it. And everyone you know will love you for it.
    I'll be picking it up, too.

What makes this game great (besides the monster behaviors & armor/weapon creation system) is the multiplayer. Get yer feet wet with SP, and get the move on to the MP.

catcapcom-thumb.jpg
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I'm picking it up day one! I actually went to my small town indie shop today to see if I could get a pre street...but they didn't get their shipment in yet. =(

We should make a polycount MH3 group!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    I can't wait for this game! This game is like crack. Once you kill your first wyvern, you just can't get enough!

f9mxrm.jpg
  • Krypteia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll be on there as well - my first venture into Monster Hunter (save for playing the Tri demo).
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Be sure and post your capcom numbers here (friend code alternative) so we can get some polycount hunts in.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Absolutely man, this game rocks. I'm definately down for some multiplayer wyvern slaying goodness. I call dibs on Greatsword headlocking duty :P
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    i've heard this game is addictive as hell!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Absolutely man, this game rocks. I'm definately down for some multiplayer wyvern slaying goodness. I call dibs on Greatsword headlocking duty :P

psh leave the head locking to the lance users.
  • psychoticprankster
    So getting this.....
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    psh leave the head locking to the lance users.

ohsnap!!

9df60bebac041dab19503b798a96da79.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    oh shit. nice picture.

I'm on the fence.. but I know a lot of people at work are getting it, and some of you guys are.. plus the online is free.. and I enjoyed the psp ones. I just don't have the crazy amount of time it needs to actually enjoy it to it's fullest...

...buttttttttt Amazon has the standard edition for 45$ -10$ rebate. so I can essentially get it for $35. I think my regular classic controller should do fine.. yeah?
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    This is only for wii right? :(
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have tons of time either, and most of my play will take place after the kiddos are in bed. But I'm in no hurry. Just going to take my time and enjoy it. It will be the only title I've bought for wii in the last couple of years. (yes, it is wii only)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    never really wanted a wii until now :P
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    broke down and bought it. maybe i can sell some other games that I thought I'd play but don't *cough* ff13 *cough* pokemon*
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Epic picture! =O

Looks like haz and I won't be getting it until we land in the US next week. So leave some rathalos for us, k?
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That concept looks so epic, Its well painted etc etc but theres a major flaw... When a rathalos is in a pit trap... it cant hurt you at all.. its prone and that greatsword guy should be charging for massive blows... not blocking!!...Hes giving us GS users a bad name....

P.S Lances are for girly men. Now a Gun Lance... thats a man's lance.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    I will be picking this up as well and ya we should totally have to polycount hunts. Nice to see a Wii game that raises the bar graphically.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    Definitely want this one, but sadly just don't have the time to commit. Not to mention there are SOOO many games coming out, every week there seems to be something I want, it's insane, I can't remember a year like this one, and it doesn't really seem to be slowing down soon. So very very sadly I will have to pass for the moment on this one.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    I saw the trailer for this recently... and I was really impressed!! For the Wii, I thought the graphics looked really impressive. It also looked really interesting, like it had a lot of depth, and lots of fun.

I was pleasantly surprised!! I don't think I'll get this game at release, but certainly something I'll think about picking up when I'm looking for a good game to play. :)
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    this game makes me want to buy a wii :( but I still have loads of games to complete on the ps3 already... WTB more time.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw this commercial, and let me tell you...It really makes me want to take my Wii out of the box, get this game, and go to town. Looks like a a lot of fun!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    definitely picking this up.

perfect timing, my friend just moved in and brought her wii
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kinda sucks that you have to pay for the online too but what can ya do. Anyone found any video reviews of it yet?

/Edit. One here.

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14209897/monster-hunter-3/videos/monsterhuntertri_vdr_041310.html
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    huh you pay for online?
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe not. Guess it was japan only. Sorry. False alarm. Good news though! :)

The next version of insanely popular Japanese game series Monster Hunter for the Wii is going to only be available for gamers who pay a subscription fee. Capcom will be charging Japanese users $8 will for the honor of playing Monster Hunter 3 on the Wii for a month. $15 will pay for 60 days and $20 will buy three months.
    I doubt the fee schedule will come to the U.S. for this game, because who would pay a monthly fee for Monster Hunter?

Read more: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/693936/monster-hunter-3-goes-subscription-only-in-japan.html#ixzz0lYf2L4G8
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    it looks good fun but I was a little dissappointed with the collision detection when I watched that vid. He just swings wildly and the monster just plays the same animations no matter if hit in the face or the toe or the tail. When will we have a fighting game where when you hit a creature the blade actually crunches into it and gets a little slowed down and that piece you slashed has a gash in it? surely we have the tech for that these days and it would add a new dimension to the game eg slash the foot and it cant walk properly but make a mistake and slash the tail first and you'r screwed as it rampages.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    you always attack the tail first so you can cut it off, duh!

joking aside, Monster Hunter does set the animation bar pretty high; it's arguably one of the best animated games in the industry.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There actually is some level of hit detection on specific parts. And when you start to really hurt one, they show signs of fatigue (limping, salivating, retreating, etc.) The wiki has some great info on all things MH3... This link, for instance, shows some of the parts of the (poster boy) Lagiacrus, that can take damage. Apparently cutting and impact weapons have different damage rates on various body parts or creature types. So, while the videos may look like players are swinging all willy-nilly at the target (...and they very well may be), there is actually some method to the madness.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Lagiacrus

Here is another great read. I learned a few key things from the following link. First and foremost, you don't compete for drops. Everyone has the same number of drops/cuts at a fallen foe. That (should) be a boon to those of us with less time on our hands.

http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_wii_lobby/b8270/191123468/p1
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    [MILES] wrote: »
    There actually is some level of hit detection on specific parts. And when you start to really hurt one, they show signs of fatigue (limping, salivating, retreating, etc.) The wiki has some great info on all things MH3... This link, for instance, shows some of the parts of the (poster boy) Lagiacrus, that can take damage. Apparently cutting and impact weapons have different damage rates on various body parts or creature types. So, while the videos may look like players are swinging all willy-nilly at the target (...and they very well may be), there is actually some method to the madness.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Lagiacrus

Here is another great read. I learned a few key things from the following link. First and foremost, you don't compete for drops. Everyone has the same number of drops/cuts at a fallen foe. That (should) be a boon to those of us with less time on our hands.

http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_wii_lobby/b8270/191123468/p1

all nice stuff to hear still would be cool if there was connection between the weapon and the flesh maybe we are a bit far off that. The animations I did see were pretty cool just not the collision detection.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    ill be getting this. Sounds like its just like the ff12 hunt quests except...only that? That was easily my favorite part of ff12.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    it looks good fun but I was a little dissappointed with the collision detection when I watched that vid. He just swings wildly and the monster just plays the same animations no matter if hit in the face or the toe or the tail. When will we have a fighting game where when you hit a creature the blade actually crunches into it and gets a little slowed down and that piece you slashed has a gash in it? surely we have the tech for that these days and it would add a new dimension to the game eg slash the foot and it cant walk properly but make a mistake and slash the tail first and you're screwed as it rampages.

hahah weapons do slow down if they hit a "meaty" part. That's how you know you have done critical damage. I feel a bit ripped off with the western version as all the blood and splashes have been dulled. The blood in the Japanese versions really adds to the effect you are doing some serious damage to an enemies weak point.

All the video reviews I have seen have all been played by... well newbs. heh. They all have pretty weak weapons and they never seem to hit any monsters weak points. Also they always hit with the tip of the blade which is the worst place to hit stuff with as the damage output is lower. Because of this you wont see them stagger and much (or at all) you really need a higher grade weapon to get them to stagger and flinch more.

You really should try the demo if you can. If you have a psp, I think the psn store still has a Freedom United demo up which you can also play. :)
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahah weapons do slow down if they hit a "meaty" part. That's how you know you have done critical damage. I feel a bit ripped off with the western version as all the blood and splashes have been dulled. The blood in the Japanese versions really adds to the effect you are doing some serious damage to an enemies weak point.

All the video reviews I have seen have all been played by... well newbs. heh. They all have pretty weak weapons and they never seem to hit any monsters weak points. Also they always hit with the tip of the blade which is the worst place to hit stuff with as the damage output is lower. Because of this you wont see them stagger and much (or at all) you really need a higher grade weapon to get them to stagger and flinch more.

You really should try the demo if you can. If you have a psp, I think the psn store still has a Freedom United demo up which you can also play. :)

Also dont use a lance, use a GreatSword or a Hammer, they will help with critical damage and deliver the massivest meatiest bloodiest blows to monster weakpoints as possible.

I think we play MH too much pre... what are we up to... like... 1000 hours between us ? on MHP2G alone!
  • vivin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vivin polycounter lvl 11
    Hell yes!, cant wait for this game, Had great times on Psp MHunited with mates, easily clocked up over 100hours, which is impressive considering the amount of time I spent playing games these days. Monster hunter is one of those rare titles which tick all of my boxes, great art style, epic monsters,multi player, challenge and phat loot. Last game to do that was demon souls. Only downside is the Aussie release date D:
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Also dont use a lance,

Shut that filthy whore mouth of yours right this minute!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond wrote: »
    Shut that filthy whore mouth of yours right this minute!

BAHAHAHAHA!!!!! You know its true!! at LEAST use a gun lance, Wyvern Fire FTW!! :P
  • Xenobond
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    I'm getting it today. Very excited.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    mine is out for delivery.. I'll have it tonight :x

will be playing after LOST!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Rolled out and nabbed my copy today, we gots some new recruits!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i may finally buy a wii, god damn son of a bitch.

put this shit on xbox!! wtffffff
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome.. I love japanese monospace english fonts. Oh, and the game looks sweet too!

Maybe finally a reason to turn on the Wii.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lost + MH3 = excellent evening ahead
    Will post my friend code (capcom code) here, once I get it. Maybe I'll get a chance to hook up with some of you mongrels later on in the week
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Name: Xenobond
    ID: CAH4EN
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    playing through the intro part now! wow, I was totally not expecting SD graphics. I haven't used my wii in over a year!

will post my id here once I unlock that part
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    God damn you guys!!!! *still waiting for it to come out in Australia*
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I love me some lo-fi art. I hate me some lo-fi screen resolution.

Why, WHHHYYY does this have to be on the Wii, and not support modern-day television resolutions. I'm going to keep playing, and have fun, but ffs... it bothers me to no end that i know it could be 20000 times better on the xbox, or ps3.

Seems pretty addictive so far, controls are much better than on the psp!
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Sectaurs and I just spent over an hour trying to play online together at the same time to no avail. Yet I can randomly enter anyone's game but the minute Sectaurs tries to enter he gets dumped and if he makes a new city I can't enter, but he can enter anyones' city but I can't enter it if he's in it. We also tried going to servers with NO ONE in them, or highly populated ones as well. We tried every possible solution (resetting WiiConnect24, turning it on or off) yet the dreaded ERROR CODE 11688 or 11669 would appear. So sad I had high hopes for the multiplayer and so far it's a giant let down. Don't even get me started with the menu system...this setup is worse than 1997 online gaming.

Single player is ok, but I'm a bit miffed with all the shoebox type level loading. The menu system is really clunky too. Overall game is fun but if multiplayer doesn't work for me after a couple more tries I'll be returning it.

UPDATE:

I just want to point out that Sectaurs and I were finally able to get a game up and running together last night. So my opinion of the game has improved however i must say trying to get a group together for a quest is so ass backwards, once we figured it out we were hunting like pros:)

We kept getting a error code:11688

We tried all the easy fixes to no avail
    changing channel to 1, or 11
    turning wiiconnect24 off then on

What did work:
    Setting my Wii up on a DMZ through my router

While this isn't the best thing to do IMO it works and we were instantly playing the game together.

Here is a pretty generic how-to for those that may run into this error code:
    http://www.carben.net/Wii-DMZ/

It's for a linksys but I got it to work just fine with my Belkin N1 Vision Wireless
    peace
    B
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Just picked it up. Been playing single player for a few hours. I really wanna be a gunner...but don't know when the best time is to become one. I actually haven't bought any armour or new weapons out of not being able to make any decisions on what I want to do. -___-
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I picked up monster hunter for my PSP a while back - menu system is utter gash. Destroys the game