Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    pyrolowyw.jpg
    quick paintover. Flame logo might be a bit too modern.
  • Veko
    I like the flame logo, only thing that I'm skeptical about is the scales on the side straps
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    for me it's the other way around ;). if you make the scales in the texture (=more like the reference) I think it'd really contribute to this piece. The logo seems a bit out of place, so I would just make something similar to the original in the ref but make it more firefighter-y or something.

Great work so far!
  • Yamo
    texture_test.jpg

Texture almost done I think, not sure if I want the label on the front or not.

These are just printscreens from within max (flat shading), so now I have to figure out the whole importing process so I can check them out with proper TF2 shading

edit:

Far shot

hat_far.jpg
  • bluekangaroo
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    nice yamo...I think that really suits the heavy
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I like the idea behind the wrestler helmet but I feel like the plastered label right above his head is distracting. I can't remember all of them, but I'm fairly certain there is no typography on any of the hats in game.

You've got this relatively medium-dark value of the red and then a very bright value yellow with dark text right in the center. It drags the viewers eye away from the entire character ... which is more than likely an immediate negative in Valve's eyes.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think the logo could work and needs to be there, but its too bold right now
  • Yamo
    Sorry to spam up the thread guys, but here it is in engine (took forever to get this working, but now that I made a successful pass I think it'll be easier from now on)

sparring_inengine.jpg

-Still very unsure about the label, it'll probably look better without it but that empty space keeps nagging at me. Maybe just the box without the text?

-The straps are apparently only one-sided, and I'm not sure where along the line that gets fixed (in max? VMTedit?) Eventually I'd like to give them jigglebones so they sway a bit

-I'm fairly happy with the mouthpiece (thrown in at the end), though it does clip his lower teeth when he scowls during the taunt so I'll have to adjust its dimensions a bit

-The color will probably end up being a deeper red to match the gloves, and I wish I had a normal map to work with to give it some of the gloves awesome creases

edit: Hah thanks for the responses Progg and Zac, you guys snuck in there while I was uploading/typing :). I'll definitely keep tweaking the label until it works
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah matching the gloves would be a very good idea.

Maybe a logo instead of text? The punch thing on his sleeve?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Apparently Valve will use the normal map if it truly adds to the model because the Sniper community hat does use a normal map from what I've heard in this thread. You might be able to get a way with just texturing on creases/stitches similar to the KGB.

The hat looks great in game. I'm not sure about the MANN Co label but that's more personal opinion. You should give Valve the .psd or two versions of the texture when you commit just in case they don't want it in.
  • Yamo
    sparring_logo_wip.jpg

Shrank them a bit, and I think getting rid of the solid background helped a lot

Also blue version!
  • Flaringo
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
    that's a lot better!
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    YAY looks good, I think it needs a bit more detail with some painted seams and wrinkles.
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
  • Spacey
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Fun stuff in here guys. Lots of good ideas =]

Yamo: I agree with ZacD. Right now it's all red without much variation. Some seams and wrinkles would look nice. Have you tried it with white inside?
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    I textured the phones, and make red/blue versions.
    xm0emt.jpg
    I am not so happy about those, phones just don't contain even tiny bit of humor, and that is a problem.
    Next time I just need to make some weapon, probably something easy from TF2 forum suggestions (so I will make someone else happy also :D)
  • 3DRyan
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, the boxing hat goes perfectly with the gloves. Nice work!
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    Konras - maybe w/ the headphones add a side mic? that kinda ironically depicts the players...
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    oldfireman.jpg
    well i'm not sure about the tiny details. It's maybe not real tf2 spirit. Bah.
  • Yamo
    Konras: They look good! And I agree with achmed, a mic or something might be a cool addition to break up the symmetry

Noors: I think the hat looks awesome with or without the detail - I suppose you could always include both textures in your material zip when you contribute and let Valve make the hard choices for you :). Also youve now given the pyro a huge Death Korps of Krieg vibe, which is always badass

sparring_seams.jpg

As per everyones suggestions, I've added seams and made the inside a lighter tone (white and yellow to match each hats MANN Co logos). Plus I tweaked the shader a bit after getting a little more familiar with the VMT settings
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    that's great yamo! - much more effective w/the inside tones

one suggestion though - witht the seams maybe try a " x x x ' kind of stitching acros the two seams?

meh looks good enough as it is...
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    XXX stitching might look good but it's not realistic because the stitches are place inside of the object usually. TF2 isn't the slightest bit realistic though so if it looks better then why not.

Konras, I think the headphones are good with or without a microphone. Not every hat has to be funny. In fact I was just thinking there needs to be more less comical hats.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    as long as the seams match the gloves I'm sure they will look fine.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Konras wrote: »
    xm0emt.jpg
    I am not so happy about those, phones just don't contain even tiny bit of humor, and that is a problem.
    Next time I just need to make some weapon, probably something easy from TF2 forum suggestions (so I will make someone else happy also :D)

What the hell - no way! These are awesome and I hope they make it in eventually. I'd wear them without a doubt.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Konras wrote: »
    xm0emt.jpg

If only Valve would somehow implement music in game while wearing these...cause an engineers job is boring :P

Just joking....would wear them :)
  • Disco Stu
    uuuuuhhhh yeeeeeeeeah
  • Yamo
    Mini update, tweaked the spec to show off the seams a little more. Hopefully Valve accepts it, I think it helps the seams pop without breaking the TF2 style

seam_spec.jpg
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow this really comes out greate. After firs your post i thought "hmm I seen better TF2 boxing hats..." but now I must say I was so damn wrong :) That really can kick (punch) some butt :p
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    just flat shaded w/self illumination - not too happy on the arrangement of the staples/seam (can't do it staright horizontally....) - but it's the only way it'll work being a separate object to the head....

any crits/suggestions/comments?
    frank03.jpg
  • Yamo
    Looking good; again, I think it's a great idea and I can't wait to see it completed. Even at this stage without real texturing it looks like an actual connected part of the heavy's head

The only thing I could suggest regarding the staples is play with size and spacing until things click - you're definitely on the right track by having each one tilted a little. Maybe make them just a pinch smaller and have some closer together/some farther apart?
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    i think you should exagerate more the height of the shape, it's not really far from a "normal" guy actually

yamo, epic boxing hat is epic
    *crossfingerz*
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake Sience new sniper helmet has NormalMaps applied you could also work with theme. Blend it nicely so there will be no need of those seams. On the other hand you can just make obvious skin fold that will tell the viewer that its a separate model (maybe some seams/tape to connect it to the head?)(Still I would suggest to try match the blending with use of normal maps).
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks fo rethe comments/crits yamo, & noors - i've mad the head taller to excentuate it

Konras - as i understand it - despite using normals, in game a 'seam' would still be visible due to the fact that it's two separate objects (head + hat). At the moment if got the hat seam to be the stitches/staples seam - don't think i can have it lower because of the heavy's facial deformations...

I'd love to use a normlal map to get sum extra details showing, but for the moment i'll get it effectivley working w/ just a diffuse and see how I go...

here's sum progress:
    frank04.jpg
    I was wanting some suggestions on how to do the hair for it to be effecitive + simple within the tf2 aesthetics...(no alphas)
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I kinda liked the height on it you had going before, its a little OTT now imo. love the other changes you've done to it tho :)
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers roostr -
    height meh -it's easily adjustable
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake I was more thinking about rim shading difference despite actual seam between models. There will be much more "white" near edges of the hat if he will not contain normals that will help to blend the shading and "shorter" the rim lighting. Sorry for that, but I really like that hat idea and really looking forward to wearing it :) But maybe you right, first things first, as you said normals can come in later :)
  • Yamo
    Is the "no alphas" thing set in stone anywhere? Whatever youre doing with the hair right now seems to be working
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    I think alpha maps are allowed. I would think the hats with feathers on them would use one but maybe not.

And when Achmed adds phong you can use the exponent map to make the phong not show up near the base or even on the entire top of the head by coloring that part of the map black.
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    i <3 Frankenstein.
  • GoSsS
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Yamo wrote: »
    Mini update, tweaked the spec to show off the seams a little more. Hopefully Valve accepts it, I think it helps the seams pop without breaking the TF2 style

seam_spec.jpg

This is just ... AMAZING !!! My favorite hat for now.
  • limesimme
    Offline / Send Message
    limesimme polycounter lvl 11
    Noors wrote: »
    oldfireman.jpg
    well i'm not sure about the tiny details. It's maybe not real tf2 spirit. Bah.
    If I had babies, I'd trade them for this hat... Submit to the Contributor site immediately!
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Here's some of my ideas, not super original, but oh well. I'm actually surprised i hadn't seen anyone do the brit/canadian helmet yet. The big cheese might effect gameplay a little, as far as silhouette goes. The textures are very basic but Valves soldier helmet is just one solid color so i went with that. Crits always welcome.
    brit_helmet.jpg
    big_cheese.jpg
  • Veko
    the strap for the flatcap is gonna cause problems with the facial animations
    and why you all making hats for the soldier, I want mine to get in :(
  • Yamo
    Veko wrote: »
    and why you all making hats for the soldier, I want mine to get in :(

Haha yea I've been trying to think of a good hat for the medic since he didn't even get one with the first batch of contributions
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    lol limesimme ty
    It is submitted as vintage pyrolean :)
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    good call on the strap. I guess that's why valve made their straps undone. The cheese isn't just for the soldier, i just didn't wan't to import another model.
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    the frankenstein heavy is great! :D I wonder how it would look with the heavys original hair do.
  • Daimao
    Yamo wrote: »

seam_spec.jpg

If you're not feeling like making your own normal map you could always think of refitting the KGB's normal map for your needs. I'd also make the colour a bit more like the gloves, which are a bit deeper red. Other than that it's a great hat.
  • limesimme
    Offline / Send Message
    limesimme polycounter lvl 11
    Noors wrote: »
    lol limesimme ty
    It is submitted as vintage pyrolean :)
    tummenupp.pngAwesome! You the man, man!
    (maybe should size that hand down)
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Yamo: That turned out awesome. If they pick it, I don't see how they wouldn't use the normals. The spec map definitely helps too. I really like it.

Noors: The black and gold colours look great. Nice job.

Konras: Those look wicked, I would love to see some engies running around with those in game.

Finally had some time to put some finishing touches on my model and get it ready to submit.

I just submitted OBJ, TGA, PSD. I had way too much trouble trying to get the models into Source. I couldn't even get the Maya export plugins to work, for whatever reason.

Anyway, here's how it looks. Hopefully we will see it in game soon. The Spy needs more than one knife.:)
    FinalWIP.jpg