Home General Discussion

First Crysis 2 shots/bullshots?

Replies

• teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Never understood the hate; Crysis was like one of those dumb Hollywood blockbusters, filled with explosions and cheesy one-liners. As long as you didn't read too much into it, it was enjoyable.

...and unlike some other popular shooters (cough, cough, call of duty, cough) it didn't pretend to be anything more than that.

I couldn't care less about the bullshots either - it's a standard practice in this biz. As long as it makes their tech more popular I'm fine. I would really like to see some serious rivalry going on in the middleware department.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ofcourse, the extent of the bullshotting matters. Is it a render, or is it creative use of a few extra lights and higher resolution textures?
    Anyway, the explosions do (I think) clearly consists of a few flat planes, so outside of them seeming to be very detailed and having a shitload of particles, it could be realtime. The character? Even with tesselation, I doubt that's possible. A clean bake is one thing, but the entire silhouette is smooth as a baby's bottom, which stands in very, very stark contrast with the surrounding. I'm interested in being proven wrong, ofcourse!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe Faraz3d did their bakes
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    They are promo shots! What did you actually want? Untextured assets and placeholder geometry!? Maybe a shot from the debug console?
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I knew they were Shopped. But yeah, they need it to look good, so whatever. But idk... those screens aren't really doing much for me...
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Irreal wrote: »
    They are promo shots! What did you actually want? Untextured assets and placeholder geometry!? Maybe a shot from the debug console?

Seriously?
    What are the point of promotional shots if they aren't promoting the 'actual' content?

I certainly hope they are actual content though. :D
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Halo Reach is doing that... And sure, that got people here whining about Bungie artists not knowing their UV maps and junk, but it still got people plenty excited for the game...

[edit] Of course, the very first Reach promo material was an openly pre-rendered movie. That's fine too, as long as they downright say that, hey, this isn't in-game stuff, we're just trying to set the tone and get you hyped up while we're working. [/edit]
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Malus wrote: »
    Seriously?
    What are the point of promotional shots if they aren't promoting the 'actual' content?

I certainly hope they are actual content though. :D

to encourage the sales, acceptance, etc., of (a product), esp. through advertising or other publicity.

So, why is it a concern that the screenshot is doctored? Is the game going to look substantially different from these shots? Well, it's Crytek and if anybody can deliver on graphics then it would be these guys and, from the brief glimpse I've seen of the game running, it does look as good as this. If the game comes out and it looks awful then I stand corrected.

I'm fairly confident that's it's going to be awesome though. :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I just think it would be a honest thing to do, to simply have a little watermark in the corner stating that it is a promotional target render and not an ingame shot, simply because its a game that is being advertised, not a movie or anything like that.
    Playing on the fine line of doctored screenshots is a bit lame. Great tool when used as target renders (shader guys! make the armor reflections look THIS good, please!), but lame when passed as game screenshots. Just my opinion.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I guess it wasn't enough make up lies about their PC sales as an excuse to focus on consoles. Now they have to insult our intelligence with this crap.

Oh yeah, it also looks lame.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox wrote: »
    Of course, the very first Reach promo material was an openly pre-rendered movie.

Actually, it was in-engine stuff, rendered in-engine, an actual cinematic from the final game - just not in realtime to get more AA. But characters, vehicles, level geometry, sky etc. were all the assets you're going to see in the game.

These screenshots are a bit more doctored and the zsphere character seems like the highres model used for extracting the normal maps.

There's been some real, in-engine shots as well, by the way, technically it's still impressive but the contrast and the lighting are kinda lame. Highlights are washed out and midtones are far too dark, so you can't see much in the end.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    well if there was ever a game meant to make you wonder if it was real or fake it would be crisis, that's kinda their deal. As for the codpiece:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW11k4vTUGk[/ame]
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator

Actually, that would be pretty sweet lol :)
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    They are pretty bland screenshots though, the old jumping out of the explosion scene, and the old dynamic shooting across the near to the far scene.

They could try something a little different which I garantee would sell it better.

Like shots of him filing his paperwork at the end of the day, or having to squeeze one out whilst in the middle of a firefight.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the shots seemed pretty generic as far as composition goes, I think that's why I wasn't that impressed.. also shopped, and also looks like it's more so linear than open world like GTA or Crysis for that matter.

Edit: After having a convo with a buddy, these shot may be real. If they are running DX11 with tessellation turned on for his body, then it could very well be realtime.... so I guess we will have to wait and see...
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, I think that is the console version, as I said earlier, since its much lower rez on everything, textures, polycount etc than in Crysis 1.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Lichy, I dont think that 'turning on' tessalation magically provides infinite texture resolution :P
    Can't wait to play anyways! I love FPSes on consoles, for some reason I like their feel better despite the lesser aiming precision.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The way I see it... You are all just jealous they use an easier tool-set for their pipeline that doesn't create headaches! :poly142:
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Snefer wrote: »
    Also, I think that is the console version, as I said earlier, since its much lower rez on everything, textures, polycount etc than in Crysis 1.

I think there is only one version now-- the console version, and then a probably crappy port of the console version for PC.

That screenshot is just more marketing bullshit-- 1080P with massive super sampling? I don't think so.

Although I thought the new Tomb Raider game looked like crap, I have to give those guys credit for at least having real screenshots.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    These days, unless someone directly from the dev team states that x picture is in-game and running in realtime..I automatically assume any pics released as "promo shots"..or what you guys call bullshot :)

To think otherwise would be naive.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is this DX11 tesselation you speak of? Surely not a dynamic turbosmooth in essence, that tesselates things the closer they get to the camera?
  • Trappe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is this DX11 tesselation you speak of? Surely not a dynamic turbosmooth in essence, that tesselates things the closer they get to the camera?

Actually yes! [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVo_5VCWIzM"]AvP[/ame]
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    40k polygons on Drake.

I think the screenshots look believable to me.

:/

I'm not sure why they would photoshop and post bullshots when they're trying to liscence out their engine.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    vargatom wrote: »
    Actually, it was in-engine stuff, rendered in-engine, an actual cinematic from the final game - just not in realtime to get more AA. But characters, vehicles, level geometry, sky etc. were all the assets you're going to see in the game.
    Oh, hell, you're right! I was slotting it in the same category as Halo 3 and ODST, which used live action/CGI stuff. Well, okay, the Halo 3 teaser was in-engine, too... But the ODST one was CGI, so there!

I guess this is exactly why it's important to be clear about stuff like this, or people will just keep making mistakes like I just did. Except mine led to a positive realization, whereas finding out things you thought were real-time are actually pre-rendered is probably going to be a turnoff.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those not at GDC (I'm guessing), here is the off-screen captured footage of CE3 and Crysis 2
    -28333 http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/28333

Not exactly jaw dropping here, but I do like some of the enhancements such as map blending. Again though, what's with the bad facial animations? gah :poly142:
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I personally think its pretty jawdropping sofar when you look a bit closer, and considering its crossplatform for PC/360/PS3. I want to see more!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still shocked that they managed to pull this out on consoles.

LiveCreate is something I'm really pumped about; if this indeed works as advertised it would eliminate the "bad port" problem. All versions of the game (except for the PC, obvious reasons) would be virtually identical.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Seems like they've focused more on optimizing their engine and making the world seem real (destruction, hit reactions, lighting changes and such) than bumping the actual graphics quality (polies, textures and the like).

But I guess optimizing does mean more stuff on the screen.

Anyone else wondering how the multiplatform thing will work out? I mean. It seems like you do a normal pc version and get the console-versions for free... but hasn't pc gone past the consoles when it comes to raw graphical power by now?

I'd be thinking that the consoles would be a bottleneck (number of assets, level of detail, etc). Maybe it's automatically scaled down for consoles. I dunno. I'll wait for more info.

Also the livecreate thing. I know blitz has the same thing in their engine. http://www.blitzgamesstudios.com/blitztech/
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notorius:

In case you haven't seen those:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adHLGfvQcc4&feature=video_response[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmMDueGYKMY&feature=related[/ame]

It's more than six months old, so a lot might have changed.

I remember I was reading somewhere that it would be scaled automatically. Don't count on me though, I can't remember the source.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool. haven't seen those. Will check it out.

PS: Notice that the fan shadow is rotating at different speeds? :)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know; it seems to me like they rotate at the same speed :P

Keep in mind that one of the monitors had overblown gamma; so the shadows are washed out and not as prominent. Might be the reason why they seem to move at different speeds.
  • JacqueChoi
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    From what I could see, the fan projection was moving slower on the PS3 compared to the fan projection on the 360... Which is odd but likely just a small bug.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I really like the cryengine, 100% realtime, No more crappy ports, awesome physics (yay deformation). I just need to try it :P
  • roosterMAP
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    odium wrote: »
    From what I could see, the fan projection was moving slower on the PS3 compared to the fan projection on the 360... Which is odd but likely just a small bug.

Not that odd, most likely just a slight difference in framerate, one console might just be running slightly better than the other.

For the sync to be this accurate is astounding.

love how we all just look for flaws..."They can't be this good..can they?" :P
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking more along the lines of. "If something so simple isn't accurate then I wonder what else is off."

Impressive none the less but it also proves the point of something being the bottleneck which means the PC-release would be affected aswell. I dunno. We'll see if it works in due time :)
  • ZacD
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do people really think you can just bung a pc game on a console or vice versa and be done with it? There will be a lot of tinkering and balancing to make things work well for such a different control-scheme.
  • yeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message