Home General Discussion

First Crysis 2 shots/bullshots?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kendo polycounter lvl 18
Just saw these had a look around and didn't see any other threads. As expected they look sick but on the second image the explosion looks too good, i figured you would be better judges than me so take a look.

crysis2_screen1_03042010.jpg

crysis2_screen2_03042010.jpg

and a few more for good measure http://www.allgamesbeta.info/2010/03/crysis-2.html, smells like upgrade time.

05748eb62d57.jpg

Replies

• sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    They looked like suspicious to me also... not because of the explosion/s, but the character (too high res compared with the background).
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Looks like legit crysis to me, same old crap done 1000x time before with higher res textures. To be honest the only thing in those shots that look above average in this day and age is the cryosuit and the fire billowing out of the building. I could also add that the cryosuits lack any kind of character whatsoever and excels only in craftsmanship. The reason they can get such high detail on the suit is because in essense there are only 2 repeating textures (honeycomb and metal, wouldn't be surprised if they were 256x256), some normal mapping in key areas and just a boat load of tris.

For a company that touts their graphics as the best out there, their environments sure are generic and uncreative. Did i mention i never cared for Crysis?
  • thatnumpty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the character looks too good, looks like they posed their pre-rendered/high poly character and photochopped it onto those screens.

really looking forward to it though, i thought Crysis was great
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I realised that once I threw my expectations out of the window and replayed Crysis the second time, it's actually an enjoyable game.

I will be probably have to upgrade my graphics card for this though.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Those images are retouched like nobodies buisness :P
  • MikeF
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    looks good, but i dont really care. If the gameplay is anything like the first, i'l pass.
    I'l take farcry 2 any day over crysis
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    OMG, its so sharp!!!! love it sooo much.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Haha yeah that character, as if !!!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Where the hell is Timesplitters 4?
    Star wars battlefront 3?
    (I hope that Crytek uses their newly acquired talent well, the character art in Timesplitters was BEYOND good, let's hope that bleeds over into the Crysis franchise.)
  • Gardini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gardini polycounter lvl 13
    Game play ? Fake
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    heh. This is going to end up being the Killzone 2 video all over again. The nanosuit is such bullshot its kinda hilarious that they expect people to fall for it. I'd LOVE to be proven wrong here, but that seems improbable.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never played Crysis, I play games on my consoles. Maybe, I should? I liked the Farcry's...

Aren't they the same people?
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    the environments i can believe, the character looks tooooooo good though - haha. Wonder if its some of that DX11 magic voodoo? There doesn't look to be much, if any detail at all in the Diffuse, just Normals & Specular, and possibly a Height Map for offsetting the geometry - which are all probably 4096 :)

thats a nice explosion too!

wtb videeooooo
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, why does he have motion blur on his legs, and not his body? He looks like he is in motion...

He has crazy legs!
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    I never understood all the hate Crysis got for its gameplay. For me it was one of the most enjoyable pc FPS I played since the orange box. and fear. Just saying.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Crysis was pretty sweet. By the time I was done tweaking the INI though the game had 8-bit shadows and 128x128 textures. It actually looked awesome, etc. Just have to second the motion about bland character design (Although it does look rather like I would picture a real muscle suit to look, so props for that, as I imagine that's what they were going for.)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    After all that mayhem in 1/2 and now 3 how is his suit so pristine. Looks ugly being so perfect.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    DX11 character tessellation? I hope.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    backgrounds look cool, but definitely not the "WOW HOLY S**T" that you would expect crysis 2 to look like. there are plenty of other games that look that good or better. Plus, shrink that to 720 or 1080 with crap antialiasing (console) and it will look much much worse.

the characters themselves look too good. seems like highrest character render slapped onto ingame screenshot with tracers and other goodies photoshopped in.

of course, you cant really be sure until you see a video, then you still cant be too sure these days ;)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    that second image has a small amount of red hinted on his shoulder from his red visor. If that is real, that's damn impressive.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Shiny Codpiece is epic.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Actually, those are stated to be from the 360-version. The polycount/texture size is way lower than crysis, so makes sense to me. Also I think the character is fake, and the env is real. Saw some ingame shots of the same env and it looked the same :P Looks good for being on console :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I loled at his metal speedo, not a huge fan of the character design/nano looks like a more boring rugby player version of snake eyes to me, agree that it looks pre-rendered.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    that second image has a small amount of red hinted on his shoulder from his red visor. If that is real, that's damn impressive.

That just proves it's Mental Ray / Vray render stuck on a screenshot, I'd say.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    So in short, Crysis 2 is a slimmed down CryEngine 2 to fit on consoles (which doesnt show on these uber high res shots), but worst of all, the one thing I can't get my head around...

Most of the assets in those pics are from the FIRST game.

Now usually that wouldn't be an issue, but come on, those pics scream a mix of bullshot and lazy...
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    I think you guys missed this here, CryTek's realtime GI solution

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdtWRVHt00k[/ame]
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Realtime GI != glossy raytraced reflections :)

The lighting on the environment looks great, sure, but especially on his gun I can pretty much recognize Vray's glossy reflection noise...
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Realtime GI != glossy raytraced reflections :)

The lighting on the environment looks great, sure, but especially on his gun I can pretty much recognize Vray's glossy reflection noise...

yes it does. you just increase the resolutiuon of the scattering.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hate to get in a fight with a rabid madman like you, deja (I could lose an eye or something), but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. GI is a view-independent calculation, reflection is view-dependent so it's impossible they share the same calculations.
    Unless you're being sarcastic but it's hard to tell with you.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    whats up with the character? he looks like hes been hanging out with barry bonds and mark mcgwire too much
  • Clockwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/beauty-speed-cryengine-3/57638

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-09-cryengine-3/47150

Crysis isn't what's interesting, the technology is. It's healthy with some competition in this area as it's only been id Software and Epic Games with this kind of tech till now.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    the glossy reflection bit is part of the video (1:50) the noise on the gun could also be normal map variation to mimic the composite plastic materia, or part of some full-screen grain

that said it wouldn't surprise me if it was fake, then again crytek would also not surprise me for pulling it off...
    whether the screenshots come really from a console or PC is also questionable. But CryTek has some serious talent on "faking" things in real-time.
    the model seems a bit too hi-poly so, hence I would also be skeptical
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    For a company that touts their graphics as the best out there, their environments sure are generic and uncreative. Did i mention i never cared for Crysis?

Completely agree. Only part of Crysis I liked was having to flank every incampment :D Non-existent art direction, and the guns were ass-dull grey cylinders/rectangles. Never bothered to finish warhead, will pick up Crysis 2 when it hits the 2 for 25 pile.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting to see how they re use those propagation volumes for that. Though I still don't believe that's what we're seeing. That lion head example looks very glossy/blurry, which is probably because the propagation volumes need to be very vague/lowres (they're not supposed to contain a lot of detail). I also don't see any evidence of self-reflection, which is what the suit is obviously doing all over. This seems contradictory with the volumes being low detail: to capture such small details like the visor's hint of red, you'd need a lot more/ higher detail volumes; but the fact that they're blurry stems from them not being high detail. And I can't believe they're performing resampling/ blurring of those volumes especially for the reflections.

But you know more about this stuff than me Butcher, so I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Have a friend that interviewed there last year.

Says they're not bullshots, and the game is hands down the best looking game ever made.

And it's for console.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I quite like the environments, they look clean and a bit MGSesque.
    But again, that character! hehehe. The reflexion on the helmet is just too clean, and many surface details on the armor are obviously from the source model and not from a bake. I mean, come on guys ...
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    I don't get the hatin, I thought it was a pretty sweet game :) Then again my rig was a beast back when it was first released, so I guess being able to actually play it smoothly with high settings made it more enjoyable.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    I reckon that EA insisted that some fake screenshots were put out that showed the player character prominently in order to help gamers 'identify' with him. After all, it's hard to get personality into a faceless entity like that, particularly when all you see from a first person perspective is his arms. No way could that character look that good in game. Speaking from experience though, the environments are that good. Very impressive stuff.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the huge disparity between the blocky, flat, blurry parking meter and the character, in the middle shot. Even if the parking meter is meant to be that blocky (most aren't) there is still a HUGE disparity in pixel density.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    I love the huge disparity between the blocky, flat, blurry parking meter and the character, in the middle shot. Even if the parking meter is meant to be that blocky (most aren't) there is still a HUGE disparity in pixel density.

Could be aggressive mip mapping/LODing. That would at least suggest the environments are real.

The only things that stant out to me as being bullshots, are the character and the explosions. All the explosions actually, look better than any realtime explosions I've seen. Then again to judge accurately, I'd like to see them in motion.

As for gameplay, I don't play PC games, I've never even played the first one.

My favourite FPS of all time is Goldeneye :P
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Looks nice, but why is the Zspheres guy in the game? They should really finish the model before the game comes out.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    They should paint it red, would look much better.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    ... I wouldn't doubt that's in-game, the first game didn't look any worse than that...but these are obviously glamor shots, not just taken willy nilly during a demo playthru. I'm assuming the ice aliens will make a return and it will be nice to see the walkers pounding thru the urban environments, altho they're not as fun to fight as the human enemies...
  • Trappe
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I like how people are debating whether the little red reflection on his shoulder is from real-time reflection or some other fancy trick...
    You've got to remember that these are promo images, they're not screengrabs from mid-level playtesting, they will have had a guy sitting down and setting these up for days if not weeks, positioning the cameras, effects, lighting etc.

There's no reason why that light on his shoulder couldn't just be a little point light they added in the level editor when setting up the screenshot scene, to add a little extra somethin' :)
  • Trappe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they could have worse inspirations :)
    cool that they´re taking the Cry-ing out of the woods, I just hope the city isn´t a completely empty backdrop without all them explosions.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Trappe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    There's no reason why that light on his shoulder couldn't just be a little point light they added in the level editor when setting up the screenshot scene, to add a little extra somethin' :)

Yep, it happens
    :D

Brink