Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wala.jpg

this was too much fun ^^
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    Celes He's a bit skinny, needs a fatter head :D
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah thanks. i can make adjustment on the cheeks. Head is actually a bit big for an adult koala tho.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It'd be nice if the nose had some geometry, if you goal is 500 tris add some there.
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wala2.jpg
    Puffed up cheeks and geometry on nose!
  • Spur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spur polycounter lvl 6
    Here's a few simple drums I've been working on based on Big Sammich's art test, 300 tri max geo.DrumBeautyPost.jpg
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    Celes: you forgot to give him claws and blood spatter all over him:
    in auz these drop-bears normally maul their prey if the fall doesn't kill the victim initially.....

heh.

Celes wrote: »
    Wala2.jpg
    Puffed up cheeks and geometry on nose!
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no...
    I like my wala gentle and mild :)
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    final, i hope you can tell what it is!

oiujrl.jpg
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Celes wrote: »
    no...
    I like my wala gentle and mild :)

And also he likes to eat marshmellows? :D

@achillesian Well that definatelly looks like a house now :) That green still bothers me, it kinda pops out of the overall look.. Maybe tone it down a bit..?
    49681316.gif

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Take notice of 9skull's change in coloring of the patches, too. Red reads like the rugs, makes the eye think cloth instantly. the brown is the same tone as the wood and creates a bit of what the fuck looking at it.
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrmmaclean polycounter lvl 8
    Next one. Had to take a couple days to heal a sore hand...
    jlBeauty.png
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    mrmmaclean: The sharpness varies quite a lot between his arm things and the jacket. I'd sharpen/tighten up the folds and even consider simplifying them more so it reads easier (same for the pants).

The skin needs a lot more value contrast. Don't be afraid to throw down some dark values in the shadows to get that contrast started. Here's a sloppy paintover (skintones are pretty bland still and a bit harsh in some spots), but hopefully this'll help you see you can punch it up quite a bit still. Grabbing some reference of head planes helps place blocks of value, too.

mrmmaclean_headpo.jpg

I think it's something that will help your other character too. It'll help place them in space; give them volume and presence.
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see where you're coming from, Spacey. Especially in the face, as it could use more contrast. The overall texture could definitely use some sharpening, I realize I didn't really do that before I finished up...

From a distance (where the characters will generally be viewed from) the clothes look okay, but could use a bit of fine tuning. I don't really want to simplify things too much though, I admit, since I like having lots of folds, etc.

Either way, I'll work on it!
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrmmaclean I think it is :) To me the edge of the shadow that runs across the forehead looks a bit too sharp, softening it could be a good idea..?
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Head is too small and the smoothing groups you did make him look blocky
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ plus you should make the material at least 75% self illuminated to avoid those nasty shadows..
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    itismario wrote: »
    please use noob terms, "smoothing groups"?
    Smoothing groups determine if the polygons "blend" together to form a smooth surface, or stay "firm" and have hard edges between them.

Check out this tut: http://www.alanmecham.com/max_smoothGroups_MiniTut.pdf
    how to avoid the nasty shadows (this is in viewport not rendered)?
    Well the shadows I was talking are normal in any 3d application, but they tend to look pretty bad on low poly models. That is why one should turn up the self illumination of the used material so that shadows wouldn't show on the surface of the material. You just need to open up the material editor, select the material you wish to use and turn up the Self Illumination -property.
    also any way to make it where i can adjust the geometry like making the heady bigger without the UVs going whack so the texture doesn't stretch everywhere and i have to replace the UVs

thanks
    You CAN modify the geometry after the mapping process without messing up the whole uvw-mapping. You can for example move the vertices around and rotate polys or whatever, however you are NOT allowed to ADD any new geometry to the model. THAT will cause the uvw-mapping to go bananas.

However, if you changes are drastic you may need to adjust the uvw-mapping a bit to fix any stretching, but that is why you should learn to use the Relax-tool (if using 3ds max).
  • serialkiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MadcoreTom wrote: »
    I thought it was time to register and contribute to my favorite thread
    tree.jpg
    Here is my twisted tree, with 77 faces/90 tris, for a small openGL game I'm working on. the texture is simple, 256x256, but i could probably shrink that as its really just the same shape repeated
    Let me know what you think:poly108:

That could have a 64x64 texture ^^
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    OilDrum.png

248 polygons and a 1024x1024 diffuse and normal, but both can be downscaled to 512x512 without any really big impact.

And here some stuff that only has a 128x128 diffuse, meant for a completely different project than what I posted above. You can see the poly count in the pictures themselves.

proxi_mine.png
    Salmon_shit_just_got_real.png
    remotemine.png
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the help, but i'm using maya10 and i can't find anything about self illumination in the hypershade editor and nothing about smoothing groups

thanks again

In Maya, smoothing groups are done through the menu at the top. Select the edges you want to smooth and then go to 'Normals > Harden Edge' or "Normals > Soften Edge', depending on what you want to do.

For self illumination, select the material you want and in the Attribute Editor turn up the 'Ambient Color' value. I usually turn it all the way up and then in the menu just above the viewport choose 'Shading > Flat Shade All' and 'Lighting > Use No Lights'. Mind you, that's only if you want the texture to be totally flat (like if you want to paint in the shadows rather than light them). If you do it this way, the smoothing groups don't matter.
  • Lionx_Dagger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some of todays works, i'm still learning to texture
    fire001.gifFLAMEtex.png
    vertex: 33
    tex: 64x64

fish.png
    vertex: 25
    tex: 64x64
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lionx_Dagger Neat, but next time show the TRI-count, not VERTEX :P
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    @Mik2121- Your fish texture is pretty wasteful there. Should have mapped it onto a 128x64. You'd save space and not really lose any detail you've got there.

Same goes for you, Lionx_Dagger.
  • mLink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mLink polycounter lvl 10
    9skulls wrote: »

We always show the tri-count, but isn't the vertex count what really needs to be considered for games?

The number of verts (including the duplicated ones that happen from hardened edge normals, uv seams, and different materials) should be what matter, right?
  • Lionx_Dagger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have little problem with that
    because blender don't show triangles, or idk where its write
    i have only faces with idk if its the same
    Xenobond wrote: »
    @Mik2121- Your fish texture is pretty wasteful there. Should have mapped it onto a 128x64. You'd save space and not really lose any detail you've got there.
    well as u see my texture is smaller then that :) but thx for info
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    i have little problem with that
    because blender don't show triangles,
    There's a face counter in the top right. Just press Ctrl+T to triangulate your mesh and then every face will be a tri. Be sure to undo afterwards, and don't forget that it only displays half if you're using a Mirror modifier!
    Clumsy? Hell yeah.
  • JDob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mLink
    I understand your argument, but adding additional vertices while not increasing the actual face count would really just increase the amount memory usage, since all formats that I know of store all vertex/face normal information, so the calculations for texture/lighting interpolation should not change. I am not an expert in this area so if anyone is and I am wrong please correct me on this.
  • MadcoreTom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My updated tree with 60 faces/64 tris, and a 128x128 reused texture
    The shapes a bit different, but the spiral theme's stil lthere
    tree2.pngtree.gif
    i could have shrunk the textures to 64x64, but i didn't
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MadcoreTom Oh oh oh I know what that is! That's the drill from the movie Armageddon! :D And that texture YELLS for simple stripes :D
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Nice work Mik2121

Finished with this for now...

Presentation
    fr.jpg
    Textures
    carcompletemap.jpg
    Wires
    Untitled-1-1.jpg

Specs;
    987 tris total (699 tris exterior, 288 tris interior)
    512x256 diffuse map only
    90% hand painted
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GCMP wrote: »
    Specs;
    512x256 diffuse map only
    90% hand painted

I admit that is super nice, but this thread is for ~500 triangle models and you are double that limit...
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond wrote: »

Gotcha. Thanks for pointing it out!. I just meant to keep a 128x128 texture, but I will change it to a 128x64 texture in a bit!. I just wanted to keep it into a squared texture.

Oh, here is another object I did. It's basically the oil drum I posted above, but even lower poly and lower texture.

OilDrums.png
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrmmaclean wrote: »
    I admit that is super nice, but this thread is for ~500 triangle models and you are double that limit...

on the other hand it's an exterior and an interior that should count seperate - right? (assuming this is for a racing game it's gonna render either of these not both at the same point anyhow)...

looks cool but not sure if you could lose that middle edge loop - don't see it contributing to the silouette.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    e-freak wrote: »
    looks cool but not sure if you could lose that middle edge loop - don't see it contributing to the silouette.

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that it is for mirroring purposes.
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e-freak wrote: »
    on the other hand it's an exterior and an interior that should count seperate - right? (assuming this is for a racing game it's gonna render either of these not both at the same point anyhow)...

Good point! :)
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
  • 8-bit kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8-bit kid polycounter lvl 8
    thanks for the help, but i'm using maya10 and i can't find anything about self illumination in the hypershade editor and nothing about smoothing groups

thanks again

Smoothing groups is his response to the hard edges you have. In maya you want to smooth your normals by softening your edge loops. Go into edge mode > select all edges > SHIFT RC > soften edges.

I've never heard of self illumination. BUT, it would look much cleaner if you used ambient occlusion on your model. Just applying the texture with no light map information can make it look like "poo". haha
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GCMP wrote: »
    Nice work Mik2121

Finished with this for now...

Presentation
    fr.jpg

Specs;
    512x256 diffuse map only
    90% hand painted

I'm guessing the bricks that go under the rims are another 12 tris each?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 wrote: »

OilDrums.png

whats going on with the cap there? 4 x 10 sided quads = unhappy game engine
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    baldie1.jpg

wip, 272 tris with mouth interior and teeth. Somewhat influenced by Brink :p
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK Woohoo, effing epic win dude :D Looks like the bald dude in X-men! This could easily be a mugshot of a WC3 unit :D
  • MrMachete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 wrote: »
    Gotcha. Thanks for pointing it out!. I just meant to keep a 128x128 texture, but I will change it to a 128x64 texture in a bit!. I just wanted to keep it into a squared texture.

Oh, here is another object I did. It's basically the oil drum I posted above, but even lower poly and lower texture.

OilDrums.png

holy n-gons batman
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawken: 10-sided quads?
    Mr Machette: while it's good practice to get rid of ngons, I don't know of a great deal of engines that would care (they'd just triangulate on ex-/import), and on a planar face the triangulation will hardly fuck up the smoothing.
    Not to say it's not good practice, but I do get tired of the whining everytime someone spots an n-gon.
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uhm? Just because they don't show up, it doesn't mean they are not there?.
    I usually try to keep all quads and triangles, but either way, when you export, you usually convert it to mesh first or else the game engine itself will convert it to triangles anyway, so I don't see the problem.

And as I was saying first, just because they don't show up, it doesn't mean they are not there. If you see the polycount in the pic, it says 68 polygons. That's actual triangles and that's the data that shows up in the 3dsmax viewport info display, so it was actually counting the non-visible triangles.

That doesn't mean I usually go around leaving n-gons. In fact I barely do that, but for a plain surface like this, any non-defined triangle won't break the mesh either way, so I don't see what's the deal. Any of my other models don't have n-gons as far as I know, and those WOULD in-deed have issues if any n-gons were left around, because the triangulation could mess up with the actual shape of the object.

(of course, if I'm going to import it in any other software like ZBrush and stuff like that, I keep it all squares and triangles just where needed)

EDIT -

nzk8zo.jpg

Happy now? :P

EDIT 2 - This doesn't mean I don't appreciate the critics, obviously. Thanks for pointing it out either way and I hope I can get comments on more content from now on too!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    that's true pea but some engines do a lousy job of the triangulation, ie take one vert then make edges between that and all the other verts, so you get a bunch of thin sliver polys. Just hitting triangulate in max/maya would probably give reasonable results tho

ps, mik- people can only respond to what you post :) so if it looks like the edge flow's not been worked out, thats what it looks like. I would take this as a lesson in presentation, rather than edge flow :)
  • Spur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spur polycounter lvl 6
    Here's my first attempt at a character under 500 triangles, Aurra Sing from Clone Wars. Was a pretty fun challenge for sure. Still needs a lot of work on the textures but I thought I'd post where I'm at so far.

AurraSing.jpg
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spur That's lookin' great :) Hands look a bit funny though. Texture is very clean, maybe add some shading at her chest? :) Not to make her more booby but to make it more interesting as that area is flat in colour compared to other parts.

... and is that an antenna sticking out of her head? :D
  • Spur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spur polycounter lvl 6
    Spur That's lookin' great :) Hands look a bit funny though. Texture is very clean, maybe add some shading at her chest? :) Not to make her more booby but to make it more interesting as that area is flat in colour compared to other parts.

... and is that an antenna sticking out of her head? :D

Thanks! Yep that's what it be! One of her well known characteristics, her tracking antenna, long fingers, pale skin and sunken eyes. Definitely a chick you don't want to mess with. One of my favorite least known Star Wars characters, I'm glad she's finally gotten some well deserved attention in the Clone Wars series.

As far as the hands, I had a hard time trying to translate her long fingers yet keep it low poly too. I may go back and change them but I think I'm going to try a texture on them first and see how it works. I decided to make the other hand a fist to save on the triangle count and enable her to hold some sort of weapon.

I definitely see what you are saying about her chest.

I didn't even think to post a little ref of her, so here are a few shots.

AurraSing2.jpg