Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• SomberResplendence
    Polycount: The Game
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    looks awesome zwebbie, I've got the perfect place for him ingame if you're willing to contribute.
    You'l get full credit of course. PM if you're interested
  • King Kinetix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First post, wooooh! I have had these models for a while. They aren't for any specific project, it was one of those, "I'm going to low poly model things around my room and other random stuff." I will rig the little girl model sometime soon. All of the texture maps use a limited palette, just for a challenge. None of them exceed 16 colors. I was impressed to see that I could model a convincing bottle of Jack Daniel's with 28 Tris and a 32x32 size texture. I don't plan on taking this much further, as it was just random objects and more of a practice in low poly modeling and pixel art.

low_poly_progress.pnglow_poly_progress2.png
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    @GE_GRAZE: does it have speakers on the armor? O_o If so, it's a badass idea! :O
    @Eld: that weapon is so nice, I like it a lot. :)
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indecom polycounter lvl 16
    Mr_Draton: you havent heard of gears of war have you? lol

Some great looking stuff in this thread, havent been here in a while, but i like the updates :)
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    @Indecom: Ah, it's from Gears of War! Now I recognize the style... I never played that game or seen a decent video about that. I also don't have an Xbox360, or better, I don't have time to play videogames... :(
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    MikeF wrote: »
    looking good eld.

Do you have any documentation on the import process / model specs?
    i'm working on a weapon myself

150-250 per weapon
    simple diffuse map material
    any ogre exporter will work for static objects and weapons. I have used the Max Runic exporter and the Ofusion community edition Max7,8,9 exporter.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    eld wrote: »
    superquickie torchlight weapon, I've wanted to get something in game.

shatteredemberblade.jpg

that's awesome eld - just bought torch and was intertsted in the modding -
    from your experience, starting from scratch how long did it take you to get it done?
    i.e. (skippign the sword creation) just importing the custom content..

oh and what vers. of max did you use ( i assume you used max 2009, but i've got 2008 :( )
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I actually used blender for it, and at first the exportation process was a bit of trial and error, but now when I know how it's probably a quick 10 minutes or so.

the ogre exporter for blender will export the mesh, compile it, copy the texture/s it uses to the same folder in my torchlight mod folder.

in torchlight you just open the unit editor, clone a similar weapon for simplicity, and change what mesh it points to, and after that its just weaponstats.

or you could just do it with notepad.

with static stuff like weapons and such, there shouldn't be any problem with using any ogre exporter I believe, even the ones for older max.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    this was an issue years ago and might still be an issue on some engines, buit basicly these days you don#t need watertight meshes

depends on the engine. Papervision (web based 3d) freaks out when you have intersecting polygons
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    And there's no worries if you want to use Max, Achmed. Runic uses Max for their modeling, so a lot of the Torchlight example files are in Max format. And there are Ogre3D exporters for Max as well.

You don't really have to worry about tags, either. (like in Quake 3) Torchlight uses the origin point on a weapon model for attaching it to the characters. As long as you make sure the weapon's origin is in its handle, the exporter takes care of the rest.

I've only experimented with Torchlight modding a little so far, but it seems pretty easy. The game was designed with extensive modding in mind, and all of the modding tools are freely available from the Torchlight website.
  • SomberResplendence
    Yeah we use Max and the Ogre engine at work. Best Ogre exporter we've encountered: http://www.ogremax.com/ (FREE!)
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Here's a little thing I whipped up in the summer.
    dookudisplay.jpg
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    @LMP, in terms of presentation, you may want to use a different font and type treatment, as right now, it is rather hard to read.
    Only thing i can read readily read is: "Count Dooku Style Lightsaber" but the email address disappears into a long line of unintelligible letters and the your name on the side is also unintelligible - as it's facing vertically and the two tone effect.

You're better off using a sans-serif font, and keep the fonts 1 colour. Multiple colours on a single word makes it hard to read as well.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    get a shorter easy to remember email address.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    typo fail, even though thats not the topic here but that is some serious ugly typographic. Typographic's is in 99% about readability so get rid of the gradient and don't use only capitals, you know minuscules (lower case characters) are used for a reason namely to better tell them apart between a important word starting etc.
    A good read for anyone that is insecure or never took the time to care about it is this:
    http://psd.tutsplus.com/articles/techniques/a-20-minute-intro-to-typography-basics/
    It should definitely help the ones that need to do presentations (like such mock ups) portfolios and other form of Image / Information layouts.
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    For the interwebz, if you want to be lazy and not fancy, just use a solid color Verdana font
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Okey my first post here. This is a prop shoe and its 128 tris. Will texture it soon.
    shoe.png?t=1263744979
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    I ditched my previous attempt at creating spider-like creep so here's a new one that fits nicely under 500 tris.

The name of this project is about as original as it gets, so please bare me.. :poly142:
    scorzilla2010final2.jpgscorzilla2010final1.jpg

I'll probably make a small interactive animation of this later on. Please do give c&c, I'd especially like to know how to improve the uvw-mapping here. And other aspects aswell.

ALSO, I baked the AO map but I just noticed that I've been a bit careless with photoshopping it since as you can see it very well from the legs, there are some nasty edge bleeding.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    nice work on the scorpion. You should make the end of the stinger a different color (black or dark grey). That way, its easyer to tell that its the END of the tail.
  • andersh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andersh polycounter lvl 10
    9skulls: to get better use out of your UV map when doing a low poly, hand painted texture you can square up the boundaries of your UV shells. Squaring up the shells allows the shells to better 'tetris' up together, allowing you to grab extra pixels of texture resolution.

While this isn't the best I've ever done here is an example of squaring up my shells:
    uvsnap_sample.jpg

Learning projection painting is handy to overcome the fact that the shells are less intuitive to paint on once you begin stretching them this way. I use ZBrush to projection paint (using ZApplink).
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andersh wrote: »
    9skulls: to get better use out of your UV map when doing a low poly, hand painted texture you can square up the boundaries of your UV shells. Squaring up the shells allows the shells to better 'tetris' up together, allowing you to grab extra pixels of texture resolution.

Learning projection painting is handy to overcome the fact that the shells are less intuitive to paint on once you begin stretching them this way. I use ZBrush to projection paint (using ZApplink).

Hmm interesting. I've always tried to layout my uvw's so that the texture wouldn't stretch too much (by using the default checker-texture as a reference), but in your method, wouldn't the stretching be.. very obvious? :shifty: But I do get the idea of this, since when you are dealing with lower-res textures you need all the space you can get for your textures. And by "squaring up the boundaries" you mean that only the outer edges should be squarized like that?

Gotta try this. Thanks! :)
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    @andersh

Wouldn´t that stretch your textures pretty badly at the edges or mirrored parts, making the uvspace you won with that technique mostly useless?
    Especially with a lowpoly model where you see stretching instantly due to the pixelation.

Here´s how I do it:
    helmetuv.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    slaught: if you straigten the edges, and then run a relax on everything but the straight edges most of the distortion is usually gone. So for example on your thingie you could easily align the front/back of the torso center edges, one side of the leg, the upper side of the arm etc. without getting a lot of distortion and making the mirorring only easier (beacuse it's a straight row of pixels).
    So straightening edges on lowpoly stuff is, to a certain degree very usefull as far as I know.
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I'd post some anims.. just for fun.

IE sucks, it plays GIFs so slowly >:( Prefer Mozilla!

Side view:
    scorzilla2010walkcycle2.gif

Perspective view:
    scorzilla2010walkcycle.gif

Since the last post I've reworked the texture to look more like Torchlight. If it's good or bad, I dunno :P In the sideview-animation it looks like the front leg jumps a bit but I think it's a glitch of some sort, since it doesn't look like that in Max(?).

[ edit ]
    PSX-like-mockup: [ clixor ]
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Hahaha, love it! Texture needs more contrast, though, those darks aren't really contributing to the form. The side view isn't reading so well, either, as far as silhouette and separation of forms. Not too sure how I'd go about rectifying that, though.
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK wrote: »
    Hahaha, love it! Texture needs more contrast, though, those darks aren't really contributing to the form. The side view isn't reading so well, either, as far as silhouette and separation of forms. Not too sure how I'd go about rectifying that, though.
    Thanks, I will see what I can do for that! :thumbup:
  • Bruno Afonseca
    @9skulls - I'd make the tail a gradient from the body color to a reddish or violet hue near the stinger. That way the shapes would read a bit better
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fonfa wrote: »
    @9skulls - I'd make the tail a gradient from the body color to a reddish or violet hue near the stinger. That way the shapes would read a bit better

You mean only the stinger-part of the tail, or the whole tail?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah the stinger needs to stand it, just try a few things out.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    9skulls: That kicks ass! :)

- BoBo
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    haha that is awesome, particularly like that psx style character presentation. really smart, just wish i could read what was said on that board.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    epic animation haha. i want one walking around my desk at all times
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - just wish i could read what was said on that board
    It can be read from a proper angle with eyes that are used to crappy textures :P
    ralusek wrote: »
    i want one walking around my desk at all times
    Can easily be done with Adobe AIR :poly124:
  • andersh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andersh polycounter lvl 10
    Japhir wrote: »
    slaught: if you straigten the edges, and then run a relax on everything but the straight edges most of the distortion is usually gone. So for example on your thingie you could easily align the front/back of the torso center edges, one side of the leg, the upper side of the arm etc. without getting a lot of distortion and making the mirorring only easier (beacuse it's a straight row of pixels).
    So straightening edges on lowpoly stuff is, to a certain degree very usefull as far as I know.

What he said :) that is my exact process...

projection painting works well to counteract pixel smearage..
  • Rib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rib
    How do you guys render your low-poly art in 3D Max to have that pixelated Handheld game look?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls wrote: »
    Thought I'd post some anims.. just for fun.

IE sucks, it plays GIFs so slowly >:( Prefer Mozilla!

If it helps, these are screwed in safari too. Firefox appears to be a little more forgiving.
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    In the sideview-animation it looks like the front leg jumps a bit
    [ edit ]
    PSX-like-mockup: [ clixor ]

i took your gif into flash to trace over the arc.. the is a break in speed and the arc that is doing this.

frame 12 and 13, the key frame of the extreme fwd position has weak ease, so the leg jumps fwd and then jumps right back. the back legs have stronger arcs

it's possible that in Max you see motion at 60fps? and the curves are fine, but when rendered your eye looses those frames?

4290328945_3ca50e03bb_o.jpg

also most quadrupeds drive the front legs with the back legs. this scorpion is reverse, just FYI.
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid wrote: »
    i took your gif into flash to trace over the arc.. the is a break in speed and the arc that is doing this.

frame 12 and 13, the key frame of the extreme fwd position has weak ease, so the leg jumps fwd and then jumps right back. the back legs have stronger arcs

it's possible that in Max you see motion at 60fps? and the curves are fine, but when rendered your eye looses those frames?

4290328945_3ca50e03bb_o.jpg

also most quadrupeds drive the front legs with the back legs. this scorpion is reverse, just FYI.
    Wow dude thanks, that was very enlightning :D I appreciate the time you took to check that out :D I know I had some weirdness going on with the curves in max and I didn't have time to fix them up. All I did was to make sure the very first frame and last frame of each leg "blended" nicely enough, but everything that happened in between was.. Well out of focus :X

What do you mean they drive their frontlegs? Like the movement starts from the rear legs?
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    What do you mean they drive their frontlegs? Like the movement starts from the rear legs?

this should explain all
    horse-walking600.jpg

note image C,D,E
    the back leg lifts, moves fwd and right before it plants the front leg is lifted

scorpions have 4 pairs of walking legs and you can break it into 2 quadrupeds...but just grabbing from 2 pair reference this gives you an idea of what i mean.
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid wrote: »
    this should explain all
    horse-walking600.jpg

note image C,D,E
    the back leg lifts, moves fwd and right before it plants the front leg is lifted

scorpions have 4 pairs of walking legs and you can break it into 2 quadrupeds...but just grabbing from 2 pair reference this gives you an idea of what i mean.
    Oh man that's sweet, thanks! :thumbup: This really helps me to understand the walkcycle alot better.

Where did you find the reference pic btw?
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    Where did you find the reference pic btw?

google "muybridge" + "walk cycle"
    and found this reference
    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/loom/category/life-in-motion/
  • Draygo00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Draygo00 polycounter lvl 9
    OK, the grave digger is complete, I ended up going a few tris' over what I said it was, up to 364 and went for a 256x256 dif to allow for some extra detail. I have it all working in unity (driving around a stadium with jumps n all) but alas I don't have any web hosting atm so cant show it off (if you wanna see ss let me know and i will post some)
    anyway, here it is - C&C welcome.
    GDBeauty.jpg
  • syklonis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a lurker for too long. So much inspiration and help from this thread that I feel like I can post something now :)

I'm still learning texturing and game modeling so go easy on me lol

Locked_Chest.jpg
  • chadabees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love that treasure chest! Nice style man.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Nice wood, the metal is boring though, and I think its too light.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I agree about the metal, but I love the wood and general shapes man! Nice job!
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    9skulls, that animation and model is perfect.
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Draygo00 wrote: »
    OK, the grave digger is complete, I ended up going a few tris' over what I said it was, up to 364 and went for a 256x256 dif to allow for some extra detail. I have it all working in unity (driving around a stadium with jumps n all) but alas I don't have any web hosting atm so cant show it off (if you wanna see ss let me know and i will post some)
    anyway, here it is - C&C welcome.
    GDBeauty.jpg
    That's friggin awesome man :D Texturing looks great, though I think the flames could use some good'ol AA (but that's just me) :P Also it looks like the extra polys in the windshield don't show so much in the profile, so they could be shaved off without losing the main "essence" of the truck..?

Anyhow, if you like I could host your Unity project at my server because I'd so like to see that beast in action :D Maybe I'll improve my BoomTrux to match up with your quality so one day we may see them competing :D

@syklonis man I love your texturing style :O
  • syklonis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies and comments!

I agree on the metal too! I wasn't ever happy with it not popping enough myself :) Here are some quick color changes, first the original, next to it a more darker metal and less saturated wood, and the last one is the wood completely old and grayed.

I'm gonna call this one done after a few more color tweaks :)

chest_colors.jpg