Home General Discussion

Alien vs Predator demo comes out tomorrow!

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    rooster wrote: »
    aliens seem really slow, from my first look.. only played marine and predator (once I found the tiny change species button- top left of the character shot if you're looking)

fingers crossed they rushed out the demo and the final thing is more polished.. I'd happily wait a bit longer for them to just tie up the loose ends a bit more

I felt that aswell, quite slow, but they have also lowered the FOV of the alien to a standard one in this game, where as in AVP is was crazy high, you could see everything, and that contributed to the speed-feeling.

I do love the body-presence though, your tail is huge, and when you turn around it swings past your view.

This game needs 60+ fps to be playable though, and at the horrible pings I've been getting from some games, the melee is also quite hard to get used to.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    For you alien people. Hold down the q button. You'll be a blurry mess in no time.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    what does q do?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'll have to try out that Q button thing. Although why I'd have to find it out from someone in a forum instead of the game telling me is a different question...

I don't understand the "Mouse 3 to Transition" text as an Alien, too - I mean... it flickers up really fast and half the time you can't even press it, and most of the time it doesn't seem to make any difference at all.

I much preferred the original AvP Alien movement where you held down Crouch to stick to surfaces, that just felt so much more intuitive. Also the way that the view flips now is really weird when you jump around, you end up looking in totally different directions.

FFA as the demo gametype is really silly. We had 8 people playing today, the Aliens totally dominated (all 4 in the top 4 high score slots with the Marines and Predator lagging behind like crazy).

The "E to Grab" move is nice since it is an instant kill but leaves you open to attack while you're stuck there.

In general it seems like the MP might become fun, with a better (team-based) game mode and once either I get used to the controls, or they improve them.

The movement actually seemed pretty laggy to me, certainly not as smooth as I'd like (although the looking was fine, but the turning was weird).
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    eld wrote: »
    what does q do?

It does what the default "Left shift" does in other games... i.e. it runs. But its hardly a "blurry mess" imo, more like a little faster. He moves nowhere near as quickly as in the old games, for example.

And yeah, never noticed about the FOV switch... We really need that back in... Having expanded FOV made everything seem faster. The old controls were spot on, why change them just for a damn console...
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    The E for kill thing sucks. Why? Because if "lucky" you'll be a congaline of instakilling people. I shit you not, we were four people instakilling each other in a line... :(
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    So, the E thing is pretty much like MW2's knife... "who presses it first, wins..."

Oh joy...
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Waited a solid 4 minutes for the lobby to jump into a game. It was me hosting, but somehow the game stopped after 30 seconds of me fumbling about as the predator, because the host had quit the game :|

From what I saw, jeeze. It looks like they've stolen a lot from MW2 and have timewarped the graphics back 10 years - It looks like AvP2 with spec and normal maps crazybumped (No offence to crazybump) in. And it's supposed to be a DX11 game when it ships!

The movement/animation of the other species looked laggy and badly implemented - The alien transitioning to a ground position, to jumping up to the ceiling, looked like they've tweened a 180 degrees rotate in there and called it a day :P

Maybe the gameplay is awesome but so far, I am disappoint.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Its a pretty bad mess not a good way to advertise a product.

I get a second input lag with the marine the other classes are fine, I cant turn of my torch the marine is just slow and clunky its impossible to play with him. I hope its not like that in the single player.

When I first played as the Alien why it was so bright, you cant hide in the dark because there is no dark.

The predator visions are useless except as a quick toggle as the environments are just a blur.

If you turn to quickly you cant see anything at all because of the motion blur.

Its unfathomable that all these little things are wrong, its like no one playtested it. I can see there is a reasonable(probably) decent game if but for all these little things.
  • Clockwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    I'll have to try out that Q button thing. Although why I'd have to find it out from someone in a forum instead of the game telling me is a different question...
    ).

That's because you didn't bother to visit Options > Customize Keys.

There's a lot of complaining in this thread that just comes down to ignorance/stupidity or lazyness.

Complaints about the controls not being setup the way they were in the previous games? Go into the customize keys and change them. Is it too hard for you?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It might be better if the default controls were more standard :)

As far as I could tell, Shift (standard run/sprint/walk toggle in nearly every FPS) did nothing as an Alien, neither did CTRL (standard alt fire mode, or crouch in nearly every FPS), nor did C (standard crouch in most FPS games since Half Life).
    Having Q as a movement control button? That's "lean" in most modern FPS games, and absolutely nothing in every other FPS unless you manually rebind it.

I think that for you to say players are ignorant or stupid just because the developer chose weird and non-standard default movement keys is a bit rich. What if the default move controls were on TGFH instead of WSAD? Wouldn't people get angry at that for changing years of FPS convention? What's the difference here?

Breaking years of convention for no real reason does not make any sense. I'd accept it if they'd actually made SHIFT, CTRL or C do something, but as far as I can tell those keys do nothing. Take L4D2 as a good example - all of their default keys are standard, nothing weird or switched around from years of established FPS control - that's the way to do it.
  • Clockwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't see the problem as long as you can change the keys. Takes a few seconds.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Clockwork wrote: »
    That's because you didn't bother to visit Options > Customize Keys.

There's a lot of complaining in this thread that just comes down to ignorance/stupidity or lazyness.

Complaints about the controls not being setup the way they were in the previous games? Go into the customize keys and change them. Is it too hard for you?

Don't be so quick to jump on the defensive. Wheres crouch? How come they changed the basic crawl to get onto walls setup of the alien...?

This stinks of "Lets adjust everything to fit on a pad". Don't give me that "Just change the controls" line, because if it was as simple as changing them it wouldn't be such an issue. I changed run to the correct key (Left shift for me) and it STILL was like ass.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    odium wrote: »
    This stinks of "Lets adjust everything to fit on a pad".

Because all console games have broken controls and are missing basic options like crouch.

This is just a shitty game, there only part that has anything to do with consoles is the menu. The gameplay is plain bad, not 'console' bad.
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK wrote: »
    Click Install Demo. Page reloads. Click again. Page reloads. Click one more time. Page reloads.

I have the same problem. and I'm too lazy to hook my ps3 up to the interwebs. baah.
  • Clockwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't be so quick to jump on the defensive. Wheres crouch? How come they changed the basic crawl to get onto walls setup of the alien...?

This stinks of "Lets adjust everything to fit on a pad". Don't give me that "Just change the controls" line, because if it was as simple as changing them it wouldn't be such an issue. I changed run to the correct key (Left shift for me) and it STILL was like ass.

I guess I should jump on the let's-hate-on-the-game bandwagon too. Seems to be the most popular stance here.

Why keep the controls exact same as in the previous games? Time to move forward. It's not like the last one was God of controls. Just because you're not used to the new controls don't mean their ass.

There might be some gameplay differences between the last game and this new one, to justify the changes in control, no?

You not liking the game is something else, that's on you.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There might be some gameplay differences between the last game and this new one, to justify the changes in control, no?

That is an asinine statement.

Have you played this demo?

Have you played AVP1/2?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    SupRore wrote: »
    Because all console games have broken controls and are missing basic options like crouch.

This is just a shitty game, there only part that has anything to do with consoles is the menu. The gameplay is plain bad, not 'console' bad.

Its a console port because its quite obvious that the PC was an afterthought. Everything thats been changed has been changed to work better on a console, not a PC. Rather than doing a correct PC version (ala Mass Effect 2) they simply said "Right, sod it... It worked for MW2 it will work here, lets do as little as possible and call it done".

Christ, you cant even select more than a couple of graphics options...? That stinks of "port" to me.
    I guess I should jump on the let's-hate-on-the-game bandwagon too. Seems to be the most popular stance here.

Why keep the controls exact same as in the previous games? Time to move forward. It's not like the last one was God of controls. Just because you're not used to the new controls don't mean their ass.

Time to move forward, by making things HARDER to do, making things feel UNPOLISHED and REMOVING FEATURES/KEYS...?

Yeah... K...
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a console port because its quite obvious that the PC was an afterthought. Everything thats been changed has been changed to work better on a console, not a PC. Rather than doing a correct PC version (ala Mass Effect 2) they simply said "Right, sod it... It worked for MW2 it will work here, lets do as little as possible and call it done".

Everything that's been changed has been changed not to work. I play most of my shooters on the 360 and i can't imagine this being any less shitty as a console game.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    What I mean to say is its console standards... They remove feature X because it doesnt work in situation Y on a console. For example, havign to press a button to get into a duct, or having to press a button to latch onto a wall. On a PC we are used to having more complex control (Or just more control over situations) but on a console, there are only a couple of buttons to press, and its usually harder.

Granted, most of the features they "changed" and "added" are just broken, full stop, so I can see where your coming from... I still can't get the taste of PC users being an afterthought out of my mouth though... Consoles are what will make the big bucks for this game on brand alone.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auto aim, is the clear indication that it is a console port with no thought. The controls are like someone whos never played a pc game just chucking the controls onto any keys. Q being the run button, how do you turn left and run?
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Haven't gotten to play this game yet, but I'm sure it has a learning curve just like the old ones. I always change my controls so no big deal on that. Aside from no dedicated servers I think this'll still hold up after I saw this video of someone who posted on the official forums in response to the negativity.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scDdcJo47-g[/ame]
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Clockwork, your whole move forward thing straight up got to me - especially when youre saying that in defence of what is essentially putting the sprint button on Q?

if we were to "move forward" - TFGH would have replaced WASD due to the somewhat larger options for keybindings... right? What finger am i meant to press Q with? Should i use a strafe finger? As i sure as fuck cant use my little finger so I can sprint while strafing.

I'm all for moving forwards and different control setups but fuck me, not ones that hinder play. Hell, i knew people whod play with mouse2 as run forwards and < > as strafe... yay TFC days.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Calabi wrote: »
    Auto aim, is the clear indication that it is a console port with no thought. The controls are like someone whos never played a pc game just chucking the controls onto any keys. Q being the run button, how do you turn left and run?
    don't be stupid. no-one runs left
  • UrAllOutofBrillo
    What perfect timing. I just sent my xbox in for repair.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Banned here in germany... what a surprise.

Sometines, I ask myself what the hell am I doing in this country! :P
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played it again and it wasnt so bad. I turned down the resolution that sorted the input lag. Apart from map glitches, it was pretty scary and atmospheric. If the aliens got into my face was a garanteed death.

Its stupid to have a deathmatch with it, it was unbalanced in the original, moreso now as you have all insta kill methods. At least in this your motion sensor serves a purpose, they were so fast in the original, you'd get one blip then they'd jump and be in your face.

Good or bad I cant decide. Could be a case of them just handicapping themselves on purpose, we know it'll be so good we'll send out a rubbish demo, we dont need all the customers.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    oh man. Such negative comments. I really hope this demo doesn't reflect the quality of the final product.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I dont know what auto aim you guys are talking about, seemed like normal aiming to me. the smart gun does snap to enemies but thats because thats what its always done, hence the name :P Im gonna try the demo on my 360 as well, thats where I was planning on getting the game anyways.

I was connecting to lag free games later in the night last night and it was pretty fun. alien seems really powerful but i like the tenseness of the marine. you feel like a puny human.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Tried for 15 minutes, couldn't find a game. wtfffff
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe, I never actually said I hated the game, btw. The 10 minutes of deathmatch I had at lunchtime were pretty funny, if a bit silly.
    Like I said, free-for-all deathmatch is really not where this game would shine anyway (and I'm pretty sure Rebellion agree with me there), proper team deathmatch and other game modes sound a lot more fun (eg. there's a mode where you have to kill the predator, whoever kills the predator becomes him, like the old Kill The King mods).

My main point of contention (which still stands, btw, despite cries of "change the controls!", which I surely will now) is that they have changed the controls for no good reason. Like I said, the "regular", established keys which have been around for years (like Shift, CTRL, C etc) for movement modifiers in FPS games, do not appear to be used for anything. Moving a useful motion control to the Q key would be perfectly fine if Shift and CTRL were default buttons for doing something awesome that I always wanted to do. At the moment they seem to be unbound, which is pretty silly.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to try playing it a bit more, but I really think the demo would have been a lot more fun if it had gone for a different (non-FFA) game mode.
  • Clockwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time to move forward, by making things HARDER to do, making things feel UNPOLISHED and REMOVING FEATURES/KEYS...?

Yeah... K...

This isn't AvP1, get over it. If that's what you want, the same keys, the same features, the same feel, then you should play that game.

BTW: Try to keep in mind that it's an opinion your voicing, the way you express yourself seem to indicate everything you say is facts that goes for everyone.

What is harder for you, isn't harder for me. What's hard for you, might in fact be very easy for me.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    aww what a bummer. 10+ minutes of searching for a game only to play for about a minute then the match ended. I imagine there is a somewhat cool game buried under this crap.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Well I'm happy that YOU enjoy it. Seeing as the internet seems to be split atm suggests that YOU are just as wrong/correct as I am.

Suggesting that things are easy for you as if some skill level suddenly comes into play is almost as pathetic as comparing dick sizes.

I'm awfully sorry that most of the thread myself included thought it would be some what like the original games. I'm awfully sorry that taking away features we have all used for years and are used to is "our problem" and that we are all just bad players. I really am happy that you can take any old shit that any dev pumps out and enjoy it. Thats good for you. Really.

For the rest of us, things like this wont do. Things that are simple fixes that can be caught on and changed in cheap, quick beta tests? Well, maybe we don’t like being the "beta tester" a week away from release. Remember, many of us had preordered this game. It’s our money. Its our right to be disappointed with a product if its not up to scratch.

But whatever. I'm really happy for you that everything is just peachy for you, and that all these things everybody seems to be moaning about just happen to be because we are "bad players" and wont "adjust to the future".

Just remember its people like YOU, yes, YOU, that cause this mess in the first place and make devs think "hey, whats the point, the sheep will lap it up regardless".

So yeah, I'm happy for ya... Really. But don’t preach to me and other people here that they are wrong simply because they offer a different take on things. How can 99% of the thread on ONE FORUM be wrong…? BTW, if I was you, I would stay away from the rest of the internet, where its something like 10-1 in terms of people who can’t stand it, to people who enjoy it.

But yeah… Enjoy.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I believe the match will continue if people stick around.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah match issues are because the demo is P2P, not dedicated. So its like an even worse version of IWNet, where you cant even have host migration... Bit of a daft decision IMO, its just showing people how laggy it is when the host is a 13 year old kid the other side of the world on dial up...
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Dunno if you guys saw this but awesome news on having a server browser/dedicated servers for the full title:

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?p=5526801#post5526801
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Man, some of ya'll are getting way too worked up about this...

Anyways, I don't have a PC capable of running it, so it'll be PS3 for me. I really wish it was a single player demo though, I'm not a big fan of multiplayer demos when there are a lot of issues that need to be hurdled for that to go smoothly. I remember the multi player demo for Bionic Commando and how that really hurt the game in the long run.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I agree, having the UI being ported from console sucks. Borderlands was a prime example of that.
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    restarting steam solved my problem hah. I played all three races. they all feel really really clunky, and the default PC controls are awful. Also i got kind of nauseous playing as an alien the first time, its kind of hectic. I don't think I'll be buying this game...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Still haven't got a game. Load of wank.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    This isn't AvP1, get over it. If that's what you want, the same keys, the same features, the same feel, then you should play that game.

BTW: Try to keep in mind that it's an opinion your voicing, the way you express yourself seem to indicate everything you say is facts that goes for everyone.

What is harder for you, isn't harder for me. What's hard for you, might in fact be very easy for me.

I'm guessing you worked on the game and was the one who made the decision to switch around the controls to something idiotic? and now you look like a total dork trying to defend it with statements like "its time to move forward"?

It's not time to move forward, there is a reason controls have been pretty much the same in PC FPSs for many many years now. BECAUSE IT WORKS! and this "moving forward" business clearly does not.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Time to move forward

"I say, we must move forward, not backward, upward not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!"
    - Simpsons
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, so apparently they patched it a bit, and now there's a handy-dandy notice telling you that there are 1 player(s) in the game, and you're waiting for 7 more people.
    Great, underscore the futility instead of fixing your broken game.
  • Clockwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat wrote: »
    I'm guessing you worked on the game and was the one who made the decision to switch around the controls to something idiotic? and now you look like a total dork trying to defend it with statements like "its time to move forward"?

It's not time to move forward, there is a reason controls have been pretty much the same in PC FPSs for many many years now. BECAUSE IT WORKS! and this "moving forward" business clearly does not.

Ah, it's so cool when people put words in your mouth... Let me give you a tip, comment on what people actually write, not what you think they write.

First of all, I have nothing to do with the game, other than having played a demo, second, I'm not defending anything, just voicing opinions. Defending is something you do when your life is threatened.

I will make this real clear for you illiterates, "move forward", I wasn't referring to the switching around of a few keys, but the gameplay changes.
    Suggesting that things are easy for you as if some skill level suddenly comes into play is almost as pathetic as comparing dick sizes.

You obviously had a hard time with the way the game was setup, I didn't. That makes something hard for you, and easy for me, how is this hard to understand? And the person next to me might feel the way you did about it, and the person next to that dude might take it as naturally as I did. Again, how do you not understand this? What's cumbersome for one person might be intuitive for the next, and vice versa.

BTW: This isn't final code. It even says so when you start the demo, but already some of you seem convinced the game is fucked up.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12

How´s that for not refering to the controls when talking of moving forward?

and as several people have stated, there seem to be nothing/very little bound to the old "standard" keys. So I don't see much justification in changing them, other than "because we can".

and Im sorry if I came off a bit harsh in my previous post. In a weird mood tonight.

peace!
  • Clockwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because changing the controls is just a superficial byproduct.

Yeah, my bad too about coming off too harsh, to anyone affected. Internet will do that to you. I'm out.
  • LoTekK
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Hmm, I didn't have any troubles with the settings, but I read the complaints here at first which probably helped. :)
    In the end I just switched q with shift to run, but otherwise left the rest of them as default (but actually read them, to know what to do in each class).

Looks pretty fun otherwise, main issue at the moment is the stupid console-styled p2p servers, but I played a few games, and never waited more than 1 or 2 minutes to find people, guess I was lucky.
    Not sure how it'll be on the long run, the three races feel a bit imbalanced maybe, I totally destroyed people as an alien, might get old fast, but at least it's a refreshing change to another realistic military shooter.
    Looking forward to seeing how the full game turns out.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18