Home General Discussion

Alien vs Predator demo comes out tomorrow!

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
Hey kids,

Not sure how many of you have been following this, but I've been pretty excited about it for the past few months.

There will be a multi-player deathmatch with all three playable species released tomorrow on Xbox Live, Steam, and PSN.

Check out the stories here!

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/03/aliens-vs-predator-demo-confirmed-for-thursday/

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=233606

I will be playing on PC, so I hope to see some of you on there ;)

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, I'm going to be grabbing that for sure!
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Can't wait! (also gunna play it on PC)
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    omfg i am excite
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have it pre-ordered on steam xD

Played the 2000 version when I was younger ALOT, can't wait for the new one!
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Hopefully the horde mode will be the demo, and hopefully i wont have to freaking pre-order to get the demo.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I must get this. I'm Xbawx Gold so shouldn't be a problem.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    ........anytime......................
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FYI (buzzkillington here)

Steam servers have maintenance at 6pm to 9pm Pacific time tomorrow. In which you can't download anything off the service and most of the features will be down (at least that's what I believe). :(
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I really enjoyed Alien vs Predator 2. I have high hopes for this title. Will it be better than Bioshock 2? I dont know which to buy. Thats why im greatful there's a demo!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    It'll be better than Bioshock, you basically have three games in one, and you have a pulse rifle and smartgun which beats any weapon in Bioshock.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't read anything about it requiring you to have pre-ordered the game. Purpose of a demo is to get you hooked so you pre-order it :p
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I guess I will see you people on pc multiplayer then!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    YAY I hate it when games don't have a PC demo.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Downloading. Not expecting it to be any good.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I am also downloading with foreboding.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    ZacD wrote: »
    YAY I hate it when games don't have a PC demo.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/34200/

You can check it out on Steam! I am downloading it now...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    played the multiplayer demo, was ok...
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh shiiiit

I'm DLing it now too :D
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just as I got my ISP warning that I reached my monthly bandwidth cap.

The new bill stars Friday, but that's a whole day late. :\ and I will be doing homeworkz.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    still trying to figure out to play the game, takes a while for me to find matches... its annoying.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Um , yea ... this thing is a disaster currently. Whoever designed the UI needs to be bitch slapped, it took 10 minutes to find a match only to have it crash 10 seconds after the games started, still have no idea how to select to play as Alien or Predator, can you even type text chat in the lobby? ...

Going to wait till tomorrow for the dust to settle before trying to play this game again... *very angry face*
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah no text chat in lobby is lame, definitely just ported the console interface to the PC. Playing with the aliens isn't very smooth and its hard to move exactly how you want to.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    yeah wasn't bad, but REALLY lacked polish!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region

Here's a link to the home page.
    Bah!!!!!
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    "searching for games".......... hopefully tomorrow will be better. Shame there's no LAN option for the demo :(
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    ^or play by yourself. So everyone is expected to already know how to play this before they even play it?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    This game is really not very good at all.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Pfft... consoles. Such a shame and a blessing at the same time. I blame the widespread popularity of consoles - starting, in my opinion, with Halo on Xbox - for a lot of awful decisions made in game marketing and design. At the same time, given the economic state of... anything and everything, this Era of Bad and/or Generic Console Games is probably helping keep some people afloat.

Or it's leading to their downfall. I don't know. I just know something's fishy when every game is designed to be an Xbox 360 game.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    ZacD wrote: »
    If anyone wants to play with me... http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZacD

Blast!! have to renew my steam account for this. :(
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah. That was not encouraging. I LOVED the first one they made, and enjoyed the Monolith sequel plenty.

For this new one, it took, literally, 10 minutes to join a game. I was forced to play as an alien, because it wouldn't let me select another species. I played 1 multi round before getting disconnected. The time in the pre-game lobby there was awful feedback & echo filled VOIP from some player that was so bad I just shut off my headphones. I hope they release a single player demo because this one did NOT make me want to buy this game.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    it was laggy for sure, and the annoying voice echo was retarded. I got a chance to play as all 3 races and the marine is actually pretty freaky, no thanks to your motion tracker beeping all the time as enemies are close. the fatalities are neat and im glad to see they dont make you invincible to damage while doing them. not as good as i expected but with some server improvements I can see this being pretty fun, especially the survival/horde mode.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    How do you get the plasma weapons working with the predators? and I also picked up a spear thing and had no idea what to do with it. Melee combat seems kinda weak.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah. That was not encouraging. I LOVED the first one they made, and enjoyed the Monolith sequel plenty.

For this new one, it took, literally, 10 minutes to join a game. I was forced to play as an alien, because it wouldn't let me select another species. I played 1 multi round before getting disconnected. The time in the pre-game lobby there was awful feedback & echo filled VOIP from some player that was so bad I just shut off my headphones. I hope they release a single player demo because this one did NOT make me want to buy this game.

couldnt agree more, a few days ago i almost preordered it. Im happy i did not. Demo's are suppose to make you want to buy the game, not deter you.

This is an excellent case of terrible design flaws
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Couldn't get into a game, hopefully things improve over the next few days :(
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Couldn't get into a game, hopefully things improve over the next few days :(

i felt the same way, i was soooo excited. But when playing i was just like meh
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is expected for all games' first day of release / demo release on Steam / PC. The servers are always flooded and it takes forever to find a game. It has gotten worse as the night went on.

A lot of my friends and I were all players of AvP2 multi, and it's a little disappointing they made the demo an FFA DM.

AvP2's LEAST PLAYED AND LEAST LIKED MULTIPLAYER was FFA DM. Why make the demo for this game be free for all death match?

To use items as Predator: There are 3 attack buttons: Weak, Strong, and Secondary. Essentially your melee blades are ALWAYS out. Pressing 1, 2, 3, 4 will only select the "Secondary Weapon." To USE the secondary weapon, you must used the key you bound to "Secondary Attack" or whatever its named.

To Switch Race in Lobby: You must click the large picture. This will cycle you through the available races, if too many players are a certain race, it won't let you cycle to that race. Also, if you clicked on the change skin button, you must click "ACCEPT" at the bottom of the screen to get out of it, then you can click the big picture to change race.

I agree with the fact that this type of demo is not a proper way to show off this game. Total chaos is not the structure best suited for a game based on 3 races in this setting.

As for controlling the alien, it took me several games to get used to it, but now I can control them pretty well. Even with experience, moving from walls to ceilings is finicky. The old system from 1999 where you held a button to cling to the walls worked better.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm.. Your comments don't bode well. The whole console port interface has deterred me greatly..

Still looking for two others to pre-order Bioshock 2 with for the major discount. Hit me up with a PM.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Click Install Demo. Page reloads. Click again. Page reloads. Click one more time. Page reloads.

Fuck that noise. Looks like I'm not missing a whole lot, anyway.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a case of epic fail.

I'll check it out on the weekend.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    aw sucks. was looking forward to this one. tryed again and again, but could never log into a game.

I really enjoyed AVP2. here's hoping it lives up to the others before it.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Pros (considering i never played the original):

-Wall walking with aliens is super fun, and sets up some great ambushes
    -Pred super jump is a great escape/initiate skill
    -Has a lot of fun potential

Cons:
    -The fun potential is not really in this demo
    -No game browser
    -Melee combat is choppy
    -Grab is nearly impossible to pull off unless you stand still in front of your opponent. Who's trying to shred/shoot your balls off.
    -Pred super jump could be a lot smoother to execute
    -Can't join a game most of the time. This demo is pretty much a boatload of fail, not cause of the gameplay, but the dreadful package it's delivered in. If you're making an mp demo, make sure people can easily create, find and join games.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    i'd download this but on a 512 connection... these problems and what looks like matchmaking? I really cant be arsed. The full PC version will have servers though right? the demo is just a port at the moment i guess?

Still L4D's demo was a little bit rocky but got patched fucking quickly, perhaps there will be a decent turn around on this.

- Oh, and on seeing Alien gameplay i just wanna fire up Natural selection and get into that haha. NS2 soon plz.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Its no even available for us germans and will never be! :(
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Spent 5 mins looking at a searching for games screen then shut it down. Managed to get into one game only to get timed out. Echo voice thing here aswell.

First impression: Shit sux. Haven't seen any of the game though.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Bah. Reading the comments in this thread don't fill me with confidence.

Read in Edge that this new AVP seriously lacks polish with actual in-game visuals, too.

Still. Downloading the demo anyways. Hope you're all wrong!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    had to turn down visuals, otherwise it wouldn't even load the map, it would just disconnect.
    Otherwise, marine seemed slow and chunky, possibly the way it's supposed to be.

Alien I actually liked, even though the controls suffered from wtf's, there was some kind of timing to melee-attacked, a bit unpolished, but quite satisfying, especially the grab-attacks.
    I had yet to succeed with a batmanstyle grab from above though.

the game will use steamworks no?, so that means it'll get a serverbrowser, for now the matchmaking is slightly broken.

polish game stability, requirements, and controls and it could be lots of fun.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    aliens seem really slow, from my first look.. only played marine and predator (once I found the tiny change species button- top left of the character shot if you're looking)

fingers crossed they rushed out the demo and the final thing is more polished.. I'd happily wait a bit longer for them to just tie up the loose ends a bit more
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, just played it, was forced to play as an alien... Sadly I can't comment on the others as I had to quit after a few mins... Took me 10 odd minutes to load a game... Then I was forced to play without knowing my ping in a laggy server, while looking at ultra bright walls and ugly washed out colours... This isn't the old AVP I remember? I remember the aliens having a vision mode, which was normal and enhanced, instead it was on all the time :|

So I play for a few mins, and I fight HARD... Against the controls... Damn... Way to rape my memories. In the old AVP it was easy as hell to play as the alien. I think it used to be crouch then jump and you launched forward, you could just aim at a wall and cling on to it and sprint away... I couldn't do anything. Every time I got onto a wall, my view messed up, and it was hard to see anything... Attacking people was near pointless as my damage was so low it made it seem like why bother... But thats the issue. Aliens were never attackers like that in the old games, tey hid in the shadow, and then when the timing was right, attacked... But I can't do that now, because... I dont know where the SHADOW is...? All I can see us a big washed out screen of ugly...

I can't comment on the other classes. I want to at least try each of them before I cancel my pre-order... Its £18 on play.com and I dont want to pass that up... But from how they destroyed the alien class all so it works on a pad, I'm not happy... I may try again later when the servers are filling up... I say servers, but what I really mean is "IW.Net .67 ALPHA" because this system is WANK...

Console ports FTL...

EDIT: One last moan... I have a 16:10 monitor... AVP Plays fine in my max res of 1680x1050... But holy shit balls, no chance of going any lower. Lower it, and the screen shrinks in vertical but not horizontal aspect... Whers 1280x800? Why are there no options to select aspect ratios? Christ, I don't even get paid to design the OverDose UI and it took me a few minutes to add a whole host of graphics options to the UI. To say we are in 2010 and I get a whopping 4 or so choices of GRAPHICAL tweaking is stupid, and should NOT be allowed. Not to mention the UI is horrid to work with... You try changing controls mid game, EVERY page has to load as you go back, no just pressing ESC a few quick times...

Sloppy console port is sloppy, and my heart is broken so much atm :(

EDIT2: ok, sorry to spam this thread with a huge post lol... Just got a chance to play as the Marine. Now, the marine should be the easiest to get right. Its just a copy paste of other FPSgames, right...? Wrong... Let me start by saying the controls got better because I used my 360 pad. Its clear that this game was made for a console... Anyway, a few new issues cropped up... Gone was the ultra bright lighting. Thats good. Means its only for the alien. But who the hell thought of these controls? RB as Melee? No iron sights, in this day and age...? Start firing at an alien and "Woa" my screen just flicked all over the place... AUTO AIM? Seriously? Theres auto aim and then theres "HERE, WHY DONT I JUST DO IT FOR YOU". Takes the mick. And who the hell thought of the idea to lower your weapon if you get hit :| I got shot at by a predator, 200 feet away, lost like 1HP and i lower my gun... 3 seconds later i pop it back up and its too late... Bad call.

Cancelling my pre-order sadly... This is a console port mess :(