Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: vofff

Replies

• vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    thx flyby^^
    Here comes a sketchy one. Ugly but to keep my skills online.
    coridorcopy.jpg
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the sense of scale you get from the left painting having the man in there. Maybe the right painting could have used that too.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with that hehe. Well well I have no choice to post this failure since this is my sketchbook anyway. This will not going into my portfolio, a total disaster lol!!
    presentation1copy.jpg
    presentation2copy.jpg
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    I am working now with this low poly house to our RTS game. It will be done today I hope I have been working with it in 2 days now. Next week will be house and more house to work with.
    LM1.jpg
  • thrillkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice house David. Will fit perfect for our game! :)
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    thrillkill wrote: »
    Nice house David. Will fit perfect for our game! :)

Thx Anders hehe, I hope our game will be awesome just like uncharted2 hahahaha just kidding.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Here is the final work of this house. Hmm I have now time to study that world machine. I looks kinda familiar with mental mill, connecting nodes and stuff.
    Lumbermillpresentationcopy.jpg
  • FlyByKnight
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    First of, nice freakin concepts and paintings! I like them!

I took the liberty to do a paint over on some of your stuff. Your optimization is a bit of. Try to make every edge count for a shape in your meshes. Otherwise the tris count will be unnecessary high.

Then i saw you used crazybump for both the normalmaps and specular. Crazybump is great for surfaces and stuff like that but you allways need to be careful with how you use it and how the outcome will be. You have some normals on stuff that really shouldent, like that poster of the two girls. And then you still got some shadows in their from the diffuse.

Then if you look at the specular you've made. First of it's way to high contrast and second, some of those stuff really shoulden have spec at all. Think about the roof for example, crazy much specular on the parts that where lit in the source photo. Don't really fit into real world conditions.

Maybe you've talked about this in class and stuff all ready. I know how fast things happened on KY-educations (: H
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    First of, nice freakin concepts and paintings! I like them!

I took the liberty to do a paint over on some of your stuff. Your optimization is a bit of. Try to make every edge count for a shape in your meshes. Otherwise the tris count will be unnecessary high.

Then i saw you used crazybump for both the normalmaps and specular. Crazybump is great for surfaces and stuff like that but you allways need to be careful with how you use it and how the outcome will be. You have some normals on stuff that really shouldent, like that poster of the two girls. And then you still got some shadows in their from the diffuse.

Then if you look at the specular you've made. First of it's way to high contrast and second, some of those stuff really shoulden have spec at all. Think about the roof for example, crazy much specular on the parts that where lit in the source photo. Don't really fit into real world conditions.

Maybe you've talked about this in class and stuff all ready. I know how fast things happened on KY-educations (: H
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    I did another video tutorial on speedpainting tank last week. Enjoy!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo6x2BMne_c[/ame]
    tankcopy.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, i like your way of painting, ruff and kinda sporadic and still it turns out really cool! :D Fun to see the process.

The tempo is crazy fast up here and i guess it's no different down in Sk
  • FlyByKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loved the speed painting vid and the finished result looks sweet! :)
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    haha, i like your way of painting, ruff and kinda sporadic and still it turns out really cool! :D Fun to see the process.

The tempo is crazy fast up here and i guess it's no different down in Sk
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Loved the speed painting vid and the finished result looks sweet! :)

thx Flyby^^
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaaha :P My mistake, sorry for that (: Ge, how many all and all? This is my first period and all and all we'll be making three game-projects.

The inhouse engine is done.... Inhouse :p It's created by Tension and used by Tenstar, aka the company behind PSQ. We don't have any editor, everything is done in Maya and then we export it true Tengine. Then our programmers solves the rest :D

We are working on a game called Eggnappers, silly name - silly game :D It's all about stealing eggs of your competitor. It's meant for some kind of TV-console for we emulate it on a PC with xbox controllers.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just found a little preview of the characters :) Sets the style.
    16a2tmh.jpg
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Just found a little preview of the characters :) Sets the style.
    16a2tmh.jpg
    LOL! Is one of them you? They reminds me of our first year learning Maya, we learned from a book, called Maya Fundamental and the topic theme is the pinguin from the animated movie "Surfs up".
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, no i'm sorry to tell you that all of them are pretty random picked. :P We realized that their was some 3d penguins done all ready and tried to stay away from them (:
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Haha, no i'm sorry to tell you that all of them are pretty random picked. :P We realized that their was some 3d penguins done all ready and tried to stay away from them (:

Lol ok:) Do u have something to show? Or it would be good if you start a sketchbook or something:D

Here is our progress so far, we have a lot of work to do to our game hehe.
    So far so good I think. As you can see all is ugly right now I am going to change it later after check up tmrw.
    house2.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just did a presentation of the game today and a little movie is up. I'm gonna stop stealing your thread now :D U can find the thread about the game here http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=68463

I think you really could benefit from adding some resolution to those tree/leaf textures and maby ad some more different vegetation. Are you guys planing on using splatter maps for the ground? It would really help breaking stuff up (:
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Just did a presentation of the game today and a little movie is up. I'm gonna stop stealing your thread now :D U can find the thread about the game here http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=68463

I think you really could benefit from adding some resolution to those tree/leaf textures and maby ad some more different vegetation. Are you guys planing on using splatter maps for the ground? It would really help breaking stuff up (:

Yes we are going to use splatter maps. And with help of world machine we could really get realistic environment just some few connections with nodes, its like Mental Mill. Have u created ur thread yet? Still wanna see your progress:D
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    My first UT level, still I havent adjusted the sun light...yet. It was quite easy to learn it for few days.
    UTLVL.jpg

UTLVL2.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the level textured and modeled by you or is it built with UT modules? Sorry for being a little noobie here.. Never spent a single second with UT.. Looking good though (:

A actually thought of staring a progress thread/blog. And i think i will, first a feedback thread that's kinda panic, then a real progress one :P
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Is the level textured and modeled by you or is it built with UT modules? Sorry for being a little noobie here.. Never spent a single second with UT.. Looking good though (:

A actually thought of staring a progress thread/blog. And i think i will, first a feedback thread that's kinda panic, then a real progress one :P

Well we were currently free to use UT modules since we are noobs and we got 2 weeks to do it, besides our project we werent so focused on UT than our game ofc. But it was quite fun doodling in UT editor you should try it sometime.
    Starting a thread is very good there is nothing to get nervous on. Its a progress and ofc a blog.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    MonasteryWIP.jpg
    I am modeling some buildings to our RTS game. And here are the latest work I did recently. I did this in 3 days, kinda slow but I cant help it after christmas holiday:/
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Through Maya persp view. Doodling with spec and normal right now. 1500 tris the skulls is taking too much.
    SacrificeStone.jpg
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Been taking a look throughout this thread and I have to say, the improvement you've made is really great. I love the speedpainting style and in general your colour schemes have become a lot more subdued and relaxed which have really helped out.
    That Assassin's Creed concept and Matte Painting for the zombie level are my favourites.
    I would really love to see more 'finished' paintings, not saying speedpaints aren't finished but ones where you really spend a decent amount of time on a single piece (because the ones you've done like this are brilliant).
    Keep it up man - I'll continue watching this thread.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    u, sir, are very talented. I can only hope i can reach that level of skill. good job!
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Been taking a look throughout this thread and I have to say, the improvement you've made is really great. I love the speedpainting style and in general your colour schemes have become a lot more subdued and relaxed which have really helped out.
    That Assassin's Creed concept and Matte Painting for the zombie level are my favourites.
    I would really love to see more 'finished' paintings, not saying speedpaints aren't finished but ones where you really spend a decent amount of time on a single piece (because the ones you've done like this are brilliant).
    Keep it up man - I'll continue watching this thread.

Hey Paul thx for the comments I really appreciated it:)
    I 100% agree with you at some point maybe I should spent more time on only one paint. Right now I have no idea of what cool painting I want to do. But after seeing Avatar I kinda have some inspiriation so let me see what I can do hehe.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    u, sir, are very talented. I can only hope i can reach that level of skill. good job!

Everyone can reach that level if only practise ofc:)
    Here is a speedy I got bored of listening my teacher today so I painted a random stuff here.
    Hotvacation.jpg
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    AndraPresentationcopy.jpg
    I did some adjustment to the old tank I did almost a year ago. I dont think I have show it her yet. But anyway...
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    I hate to post WIP stuff but what the heck it could be a progress!!!
    Crypt1.jpg
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Finally its done but unfortunaly maya preview cant read the alpha correct. I couldnt take a screen shot with the beauty lights:( I have checked the alpha in .dds and .tga and checked the doubleside,object transparency polygon.
    problem-1.jpg
    I went to toolbag and rendered a beauty shot there but toolbag has only a light source which sux:(
    cryptpresentationcopy.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff wrote: »
    Well we were currently free to use UT modules since we are noobs and we got 2 weeks to do it, besides our project we werent so focused on UT than our game ofc. But it was quite fun doodling in UT editor you should try it sometime.
    Starting a thread is very good there is nothing to get nervous on. Its a progress and ofc a blog.

We are some students up here that thought of joining up and try to learn the editor. We'll see how that will work (: Hehe i stared a thread just for a character i'm currently working on, it was posted in panic, not out of panic :D Feel free to check in (:

I really like the little house, but thought of the pixel density and scale of the grass. Maybe something you should look over.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Its good seeing more swedish students here posting! keep up the good spirits! :)
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    @Olsson your character is looking good so far. But I dislike the phong u have but you will sooner later add the new texture soon I hope. Yeap I know hehe but it wouldnt matter in a RTS game I blame at progg they complain they cant crank up the quality of texture or the game will size up.

@Winterlord yes there are few of my classmates posting some stuff here.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    speedpaint 40min
    bright_sun.jpg
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Woooooaaa! I am doing a tutorial while I am working with my portfolio at the same time...who cares anyway. Hey this was a long time ago doing a mattepaint tutorial and here is an update. It is not finished yet but...I hope someday:D Hopefully this week or I will kill myself hehe.

Nr2
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    speedpaint 30min
    Abandonedindustrycopy.jpg
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Hey, about the problem displaying transparency. I had this same problem for a long time, and there is a setting that fixes it, or at least it did for me.

Go to the shading drop-down in the viewport and make sure "Polygon Transparency Sorting" is checked.
    That should do the trick, I think.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Joopson wrote: »
    Hey, about the problem displaying transparency. I had this same problem for a long time, and there is a setting that fixes it, or at least it did for me.

Go to the shading drop-down in the viewport and make sure "Polygon Transparency Sorting" is checked.

Thx for the tip, but it didnt helped HAHA!:D
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Joopson wrote: »

LOL I did, but it didnt worked.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    An update to my work. I simply changed some textures and tweaked some stuff.
    Now listening at Aaron Canaday environment art wohoo!!!
    Lunchareadawnpresentation1.jpg
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    That last speedpaint is great. A+ work.
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    Read the whole thread and you are very talented! Love the speedpaints!

Like paulsvoboda said it would be nice to see more "finished" paintings.

Kul med duktiga svenska grafiker!
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Pzychaoz wrote: »
    Read the whole thread and you are very talented! Love the speedpaints!

Like paulsvoboda said it would be nice to see more "finished" paintings.

Kul med duktiga svenska grafiker!

I am glad u liked them:)

Here are some of the work I am working on right now. Wall tiles wohooo!!
    walltile1.jpg
    walltile2.jpg