Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WoW Cataclysm: Gilneas Building.

Hello everyone,

I need new eyes on the silhouette and also how close it is to the concept.
After I am happy with the model I will post the textures later, have to work out a color scheme, the ones on the Cataclysm screenshots are dull in terms of color scheme. But they fit the mood well for the starting area, but I doubt this will work the same way ( in terms of the same color pallete) It wouldn't look good when it is by itself imo. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for the support :)

model2.jpg
conceptt.jpg

Replies

• chadabees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking good so far to me. The only thing I notice is those lantern things on the sides of the door seem a little long in your version. I had my eye on this concept to model or the other building they have up there. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    The chimney looks really straight and maybe a little too thick. Try to add the wonky feel to a lot of your straight edges. It will give it a much better silhouette, especially if you're going for the WoW look.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chadabees: I agree on the lantern, I was afraid from a distance they might not be noticeable, they are a bit too long.

turpedo: hey man, good to hear from you. I agree on everything you said, thanks. I will re-post with the changes.

What about the color pallete? Do you think I should go for the Worgen area, or create my own?
  • Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wilex polycounter lvl 16
    I would thicken up the wood fraiming a bit and yeah keep adding little tweaks so its not 90 degree angles everywhere or straight lines really.

For the color pallete change it to what type of story you want to tell. When you see the city they've made you can tell right away they're going for this sad kind of foreboding story. If you think you can do it with more interesting colors or want to do something different then go for it.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Proportion update.

I am pleased with it, I will post a color pallette/ paintover tonight and then go from there.

model2v.jpg
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Those silhouette changes you made added a ton of character to the piece. Nice update! Looking forward to more.
  • dinfet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good changes you made, I can't wait to see how you color this bad boy.
  • Ayro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it but everything looks too perfectly straight. In Warcraft everything seems to have a slight lean to it, unless it's a castle or something.
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks cool, you gonna do hand painted textures?
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    Dippndots wrote: »
    looks cool, you gonna do hand painted textures?
    he better.....................................................................................................................................
    WE ARE EXPECTING HAND PAINTED TEXTURES
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd remove that very sharp end to the roof, perhaps chamfer it instead?
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    42200898.pngNumber 1, The things look bent, rather then curved.
    Number 2, the edges are too straight, needs to be more crooked.
    same with number 3.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Life has taken me away from art this entire week, and the internet stopped working for the entire neighborhood :S

-Yes it is going to be hand painted offcourse lol- it is WoW ;)

Updates: Decided to go with this color palette-

colorpallete.jpg
    model3l.jpg
    textureexample.jpg
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
    The texture is looking really nice on those shingles, but with the 100% illumination on it right now the parts on the sides of the roof where you tried to break up the silhoette arent quite reading right. Like i said it might be that there are no shadows, but you could prolly just get away with tossing some planes ontop of your initial model to create some breaks along the side of the rooftop there and it wouldnt add too many more poly's to the building either. It will give it a more natural feel to the whole roof shingles anyways ;)

Also looks like your UV's may be a little squashed at the top bevel on the building.

Can't wait to see some updates.
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome color choices, roof texture looks great, the only thing i would change would be to offset the roof tiles vertically a bit, as it is right now, you can follow the shingles around the roof in a perfect loop
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    The texture sheet looks nice - but on the model it's hard to read. I would use some broader hilights and more pronounced shadows (but not too dark!). Interesting thing about the WoW art style is broad strokes on environments. The little pen-sharp hilight edges look cool, but IMO the whole texture should be held up by much broader shading to help it read from a distance.
  • Rokkx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with dippndots, the colors you choice are very nice :]
    good job so far
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't want to crit this because I've just had a look at your website and was blown away by your other pieces, incredible work and it all went straight in my inspiration folder!

If I'm brutally honest, I think you could knock the purple tone back very slightly. I like the variation it adds but the way it's tiled, it stands out too much I think. As a whole, the texture/colour palette looks nice, but I think if you toned down the purple and then boosted the overall levels a bit, it might look nicer.

Also, is the roof unwrap final? I know it's tricky with that roof shape but the tiles aren't aligned quite right on the hips. I guess it's a tradeoff with texture distortion though.

Looking forward to seeing this develop!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    the texture is painted nicely, but if that is the exact texture you're applying to the model as well... may I ask why there's tiling within the texture itself, instead of letting the UV's handle that? It seems redundant to have a texture of 'x' size and repeating parts in it, unless you plan on cutting it down to a quarter of it so it's just the unique space, or painting over some of the roof parts so they're more unique, it's just a waste of texture space.

looks great though, but that just came to my mind.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bounchfx, you make a good point and that would lead me to believe he has just stuck the tiling texture on there for examples sake, which would explain the hip seams I mentioned.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your comments and positive support :)

As creation22 mentioned, this is a WIP so not really worth the time to refix every UV space. It is for show's sake really.

On the other hand I agree with most of the things you guys said. I am not sure if I want to Uniquely UV everything or just apply tileable texture to certain areas and go from there, just like how Blizz does it with WoW buildings. I know if I uv it all and make it all unique spaces I will for sure have more control over the entire thing, but at the same time you might not see the detail from this distance.

I create tileable texture for practice and saves time if I decide to manually relay it ontop of the Unique uv, because you will end up stacking layers next to one another with zero seams.

Updates: 'forgot to thicken highlights, sorry!'

I personally think there is way too much tiling going on, not sure if it is working atm. Might actually have to put pieces together in a unique UV afterall...Tell me what you think (yes, lighting is flat atm- for show purpose not final :) )

model3c.jpg
    textureexample2.jpg
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: if I get a good handcount, I will post a tutorial for handpainted if you guys are interested, let me know. Thanks!
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Please do. I need to work on handpainting textures. I'm sick of making 'realistic' ones :)
  • DLoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DLoud polycounter lvl 15
  • tinokun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tinokun polycounter lvl 11
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    </lurk>

Raises hand

<lurk>
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *raises both hands*
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    so what material are the shingles made out of? doesn't really seem like wood, and pretty clean and smooth for metal. Also they seem pretty thin. My first reaction is rigid sheet metal.

I think if you painted the purple tile a bit more to match the rest in color it would help with the tiling. They really pop out and show the obvious tiling more than anything. I don't really play wow anymore and not much into that style so I could be wrong on it all.

ne ways, its looking good. :)
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli wrote: »
    so what material are the shingles made out of? doesn't really seem like wood, and pretty clean and smooth for metal. Also they seem pretty thin. My first reaction is rigid sheet metal.

I think if you painted the purple tile a bit more to match the rest in color it would help with the tiling. They really pop out and show the obvious tiling more than anything. I don't really play wow anymore and not much into that style so I could be wrong on it all.

ne ways, its looking good. :)

They would appear to be more slate than metal, since I honestly have never in my life seen a metal shingle or roof(outside of tin roofing on houses, or aluminum/corrugated aluminum on industrial complexes).
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good man, the scale of the chimney texture seems a little too large compared to the roof texture, scale it down a smidgen?
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    *silently and slowly raises hand*
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I really like how clean those hand painted textures are coming out. Please tut away. My only crit against them is like somebody else said the scale, and there's way too much mortar visible. Other then that it's pretty shweet.
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great! Maybe a little too 'clean' for WoW textures.. although definitely on the right track.

Keep us posted!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    are those flats the exact texture or did you take the texture and do a fill just to show how it repeated? If those are the flats, you should paint everything a little more uniquely to avoid obvious tiling... if those aren't the flats, ignore me.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    *Raises all 3 hands*

Looks good, although I think you could add more fine details into the texture without detracting from the style.

Nice use of colors for the shadows.
  • Marnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marnik polycounter lvl 8
    *raises eyebrow*

Damn! I wish I saw this thread earlier. I'm loving it so far, but there's one really small thing that's bothering me. In the concept, the sides of the stairs aren't as long as they are in yours. I think that the fact that they're short and stubby adds a good bit of character, but that's just me being nit-picky.

So on that note, Badabababaaaa I'm lovin' it ^_~
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Guys,

thanks for your support. I will go ahead and finish the tutorial.

I will fix the stairs, the mortar is done like that on purpose- I saw a chimney close to that in WoW. As for the fine details if you notice in the renders from that distance even if the shingles are a bit large, they just wont show. Yes, it definately will make the texture sheets look prettier but as far as this project not worth the time, unless offcourse I change my mind.

I will keep you posted.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    PLEASE post some handpainted tuts! I really dig the textures, good work!
  • Pbcrazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Raises hands and feet*

I love hand painted textures, however trying to figure out how to do them on my own is... tedious :D

The roofing is my favorite so far :D Keep it up, I can't wait to see the final or tutorial!
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As promised:

Tutorial Release!

download link: http://uploading.com/files/8ed7mf24/HandPainted_Tutorial.pdf/

I appologize that it was not a video, did not really have time. Did something modest to give back as the community has given me tons! Enjoy, tell me what you think.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Tutorial looks great, thanks for sharing!
    One thing you could have done is to cross the edges to tile it better, it wouldn't show the squared space where you painted.
    Indeed awesome painting skills. Matching quite nice WoW style.
  • Jojones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude awesome Tutorial! Serious thanks! btw the structure is turning out great can't wait for the update
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    paintings turning pretty good, but the roof tiles feel really flat, add more lights and darks to give it depth. Also the grout for the chimney is a solid color, with no variation or details...
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Many thanks for the tutorial, it will be a great help!
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i personaly think you shoulda stuck closer to the bricks on the concept for the chimney, the one syou have are way large and do not fit well with the mesh.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great tut! thanks! and progress here is looking good, but I have to agree with Rhinokey on the chimney bricks. A smaller brick would be much better imo
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still have a lot to learn, thanks for all your honesty and input. I did forget to add the variations in the grout, sorry about that. I have a better version of the roof that I have not posted yet. As for the chimney, you guys might be right. It is fine at this point I can always re do it.

I appreciate all your honesty, I hope the tutorial helped give you guys a jump start and the rest is on your own :)
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Mazvix, are you trying to mimic WoW's style in the textures or are you doing your own thing?

Right now they seem much tighter and less painty than WoW's texture style. I'm having a hard time finding the exact images for an example via googling. Have you looked at the WoW model viewer before? It's pretty helpful for picking the stuff apart. Good stuff overall, keep it up!