Home Technical Talk

Quad Chamfer Modifier released

Replies

• obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obliviboy polycounter lvl 12
    dustinbrown send me an email with the paypal email address you used to purchase the plugin and I will remove you from the email list. You can then whenever you want request the latest version.

ps:There is a readme file in each update archive I sent which list all the versions and what changed in each of them. There are also links to youtube videos demonstrating the new features.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I think frequent updates are a good thing, personally ..
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I am fine with the speedy updates. I just wonder if Marius is a robot since he's so fast. :-)
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for the quick fix!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wouldn't it be a good idea to post point updates in here, and only email when a bigger update's gone out?
    A lot of professional users will likely not update too often anyway, as they rely on the plugin to do their work and any new bugs could waste time. Those that do want speedy updates can check in here. Maybe update the first post with every update as well?
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea I need a way to send the plugin file that's why I send an email with the update. Anyway no need for a new way of doing this, if it worked till now this way why change stuff. Who doesn't want want to receive updates just shoot me an email.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks for the fixes/improvements :)

For the smoothing, would it be possible to also have, or instead of smooth by Angle? So faces could be smoothed be 45degrees or something. So then, if we turbosmooth with smoothing groups, it isnt all the same.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    why not just setup a filter in your emails? gmail will let you label/archive the emails so you dont need to bother with them until you need to.
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.mariussilaghi.com/QChamferMod.mcr

Perna I made this macroscript to quickly add (after the editable poly) and collapse the quad chamfer modifier leaving the other modifiers in the stack intact. To install it just drag and drop it into the viewport. You can assign a keyboard shortcut to it (it is in the Quad Chamfer category). You need to have the Quad chamfer modifier for it to work

You can change the defaults parameters of the modifier in the .mcr file (like sharpness, iterations, quad intersections, etc).

So you press a shortcut and it adds the modifier and selects it so you can change it's parameters then you press the shortcut again and it collapse the modifier down leaving the other modifiers intact.

Here is a video to see it in action.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_TerNljxzo"]Macroscript to quickly add and collapse the Quad Chamfer modifier - YouTube[/ame]
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I might make it a tool like the normal chamfer one day.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    perna wrote: »
    Is there any chance that you'll make a version that behaves like standard max chamfer in terms of interaction? To recap:
    -mouse-drag to contol width
    -OR menu with values and more control
    -non-intrusive, chamfer can remain active while changing selections and modifying geometry
    -no lag/other problems associated with having to add and collapse a modifier

That way this tool should be able to completely replace 3ds chamfer, instead of only complimenting it.

Good work either way.

Yup this would be perfect. the modifier is nice on simply stuff but once you get to more complex shapes its not all that usefull
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ but as a modifier it keeps it's "non-destructible" workflow quailty
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yup but not everybody wants nor needs that :)
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hah, i will admit my psd's are massive in size.

however, in this case the modifier aspect is pretty important imo - after finishing your high poly, delete quadchamfer and turbosmooth and boom your lowpoly is nearly finished; while if you commited changes to the mesh, you're back to deleting edge loops etc.
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everybody uses what workflow works for them. There is no point arguing about it, at least not in this thread.
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    I guarantee that you will abandon that workflow with more experience. I'm wary about pointing out why, as I know how people usually take well-meant advice as insults and then create big drama on the internets.

It seems to me that happens from lack of a good explanation. Make a thread! That sounds like it could be a potentially insightful classic Polycount thread.

Either way, this modifier has many great uses and has already sped up my workflow and allowed me to make some cool environment pieces procedurally. I agree that there is a use for both forms of this tool, just like 3ds max has an extrude/bevel tool and modifier.
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changes for v1.12 are:
    - Adds a "Chamfer Corners" option
    - Adds ability to chamfer vertex selections
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP2nYhOSPxo"]Quad Chamfer modfier 1.12 - New features - YouTube[/ame]
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Well... Time to clean my underwear.
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My new forum http://www.mariussilaghi.com/forum/index.php

Changes for v1.13.
    - The UI has been redesigned.
    - Added ability to save and load presets.
    - Added ability to use Round Shading at iteration 0 to make the chamfer look round without adding extra geometry.
    - Added a new Face Selection chamfering type.
    - The Material Id can be set a zero now so that the new faces inherit the Material ID of the old faces.
    - Fixed a bug when chamfering large n-gons with holes in them.
    - Fixed a bug that occurred when the cut tool was used on edges that were being chamfered by their edge weights.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMgd7RrWgww"]Quad Chamfer Modifier 1.13 - New UI, Presets, Round Shading, Face Selection Chamfer - YouTube[/ame]
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the Custom Vertex Normal Round Smoothing. Aweseome!

Tip: 3DS Max can lose custom Vertex Normals info if you change the mesh format to something like edit poly, so be careful.

Also, cool Vertex Chamfer feature, I like the option to chamfer edges at the same time = one-step really low-poly dice that shade just as nice (if not better than) how they would with a normal map!

i2VQSzX2tPX0G.gif

BKJsz.png

Practically free high poly shading and a rounded silhouette with only one chamfer iteration?

Hell yea!

Now cryengine needs to allow custom vertex normals exporting and I will be set.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    You're so awesome :D
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Great update :)
    Best buy in a long time.
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron nice example of the round shading.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bet this exact statement has been posted here before but, WHY isnt this a part of default 3ds max? Or is it?
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Damn, I want to get this, but paypal won't accept my Maestro card for some reason. :P I knew there was a reason I have always had a mastercard, that never failed. Have to figure something else out.
    Might also have something to do with me moving to Ireland, apparently Paypal doesn't like it when an account change country, so I probably need to create a new account.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    I don't know how it works in other countries but in France you can't do online transactions with a maestro card.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Btw, I was wondering how your modifier deals with an issue like this one I made in the image.
    If I chamfer the red lines normally in 3ds max, where I got the extra edge going into the corner, it makes that mess. Any chance it doesn't happen in the modifier?

3dsmax_chamfer_example.jpg
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MgGreed I hope you can fix your paypal issue. In the end you still have the option to send me the money thru Western Union but that may take some time.

Regarding your question above. If you activate the Quad Intersection option in the modifier it will fix that mess and create nice clean result.

I might release a trial version of the Quad Chamfer Modifier so people can try it before they buy.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, thats cool, even more reason for me to sort this out. :) Instead of trial version, you could always do a light version of the mod, with limitations.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woot, finally got my banks stuff in order, lets bevel and chamfer the shit out of everything!! :)

EDIT: Okay, so I have been playing around with it now, and can really use this in my workflow, sooo nice to test bevel, and then not to have to clean up all the time you do a minor change.

Something I was wondering though, is it anyway possible to get it to bevel the edge in the UV maps as well? I was just wondering if that might be an possibility.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Just got this today. Effing awesome.
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
    Aye I finally bit the bullet and went for it, it's been a surprisingly expensive month in terms of plugins and script purchases for me, oh well... whatever makes the day go by easier.

One thing I noticed that was a bit odd, on the download page... I'm assuming the content is controlled by bitbuffet.com and not you? Because it has this:
    Having trouble opening the file?

Be sure you have the correct software needed to open the file. Most media files (.wmv, .avi, .mov, .mp3, etc...) require the correct codecs to interpret and display the file. You may need to download additional software like VLC to play more obscure formats.

If in doubt, try downloading the file again with a different browser or try different software to open the file.

Which is just a bit... wrong.

Anyway, enough of that. Lovely plugin, I'll be using it very very soon.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only me that cant find the trial version on the website anymore, reinstalled windows yesterday, also the bitbuffet links has of course expired by now :P
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg09:
    If, for whatever reason, you need to download this file again after the limit has been reached, you should contact the seller at silaghimarius@gmail.com. Please note that multiple downloads do not result in more charges.
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave wrote: »
    Aye I finally bit the bullet and went for it, it's been a surprisingly expensive month in terms of plugins and script purchases for me, oh well... whatever makes the day go by easier.

One thing I noticed that was a bit odd, on the download page... I'm assuming the content is controlled by bitbuffet.com and not you? Because it has this:

Having trouble opening the file?
    Be sure you have the correct software needed to open the file. Most media files (.wmv, .avi, .mov, .mp3, etc...) require the correct codecs to interpret and display the file. You may need to download additional software like VLC to play more obscure formats.
    If in doubt, try downloading the file again with a different browser or try different software to open the file.

Which is just a bit... wrong.

Anyway, enough of that. Lovely plugin, I'll be using it very very soon.

BitBuffet is a service which I use to automatically send the download link after a PayPal order has been placed. That message on the download page I cannot change, it's there for people which are selling music or other stuff.
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only me that cant find the trial version on the website anymore, reinstalled windows yesterday, also the bitbuffet links has of course expired by now :P
    Send me an email.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Usually what I do with my plugin purchases is save the email in my Drafts folder for GMail, then do another draft email with the plugin (since they are small in size). That way I can get to it whenever I need to in case.
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I throw everything in my dropbox (non-shared for commercial/purchased stuff, obviously). Even my Max UI/quad menu/keyboard hot-key files and stuff like that... makes it so much easier when moving to a new PC or needing to upgrade.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marius worked it out for me :)
    Thanks for all the other tips, I need to get better taking care of things I might need later ;)
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    I really like the Quad Chamfer Modifier, but I have a question about generating UVW's. Is it possible to add an automatic UVW setting? So for example I would first unwrap a box, then add the Quad Chamfer Modifier and the UV's would automatically get interpolated on the edges (sort of like the shell modifier setting for UVW interpolate)? Adding a UVW on top of the Quad Chamfer modifier isn't a good solution since I can no longer change the modifier without the UVW's changing. Also unwrapping a simple model without chamfered edges is faster that trying to UV the chamfered edges.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the UV's this modifier generates are a little wonky and do require some cleanup usually.
  • Thr3dd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noob question. Does anyone know how to place the quadchamfer into the quad menu?
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    I don't have this modifier, but you can try to create a macroscript that will add Quad Chamfer modifier to selected object. Then this macro can be placed in Quad menu.
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Download this http://www.mariussilaghi.com/macros/Quad%20Chamfer%20Modifier.mcr and drag and drop it into the 3ds max viewport. Now go to customize user interface and look for the category named "Marius".
  • Tomiajayi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
    Your plugins are PIMP! if I ever spent money on software I'd give it to you!
  • skitnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skitnik vertex
    In "Chamfer by Edge Weights" mode there is a problem in "T" connection between chamfered and not chamfered edge:

This problem doesn't exist in "Smoothing Group" and "Edge Selection" modes:

I guess this must be fixed in Weight mode too