Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: LongJh

Replies

• LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man it's been a long week. So here's some paintings and drawings!

More architectural studies. Starting to get a little more familiar painting them. I tried a few different techniques and steps in these studies - trying to refine my painting process and make it as efficient as possible. My problem now is that I'm still quite impatient and I always rush the smaller details.

The first two were done with heavy usage of masks. The last study was done using more of a "watercolour" painting method - which is doing the linework and then just painting on top of it transparently, adding more layers till the linework sort of fades off (of course I did use a bit of masking for the line details in this particular study).

Digi+-+0131+%252802June13%2529.jpg

Digi+-+0132+%252807June13%2529.jpg

Digi+-+0133+%252808June13%2529.jpg

Here's the WIP of the last painting. The first step is a really quick and messy sketch, followed by a cleaner line drawing (the lines were done using the pen tool, it's just quicker that way since there are so many smooth curves involved), and then the painting itself.

Digi+-+0133+wip.jpg

Aaand to wrap up this post - some quick sketches from my sketchbook.

Sketchbook+-+0073.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, got some new stuff here. Sorry but it's a bit stale this week, working on some personal work so I've been slowing down on the studies a bit.

Buut anyway, here's a little digi sketch I did for fun and to relax. Started out black and white.

Digi+-+0134+%2814June13%29.jpg

And more sketchbook pages. Most of these sketches are studies for my personal work. Aaand as you can see in the last page, I was attempting to flush my brain out and try to get back to drawing figures from imagination again. Still the same problems - proportion, anatomy, linework, etc, etc, etc. Back to practice!

Sketchbook+-+0074.jpg

Sketchbook+-+0075.jpg

Sketchbook+-+0076.jpg

Sketchbook+-+0077.jpg
  • taytahs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EXTREME improvement here. You've gotten decent at rendering very quickly, you have inspired me to do tons and tons of studies.
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    taytahs - Thank you very much!

So, it's been pretty slow, but I got an update here! Just a couple little things.

First is a bunch of anatomy studies after Loomis' figure drawing book. As you can see I kept redrawing the same figure proportion drawing, mainly because it's one of my weaknesses in figure drawing. Trying to learn how to reproduce these proportions naturally in my head. Struggling a little with line quality at some parts as well, though.

Figure+-+0068.jpg

And some still lifes from life. These are much tougher than I thought. I was getting impatient and confused at painting some parts so these didn't turn out too good or refined. But I like how the colours turned out, I feel like are definitely more "lush" than the colours I might pick if I was studying from a photo. Ahh, so much more to learn and practice.

Life+-+0004+%2816June%2713%29.jpg

Life+-+0005+%2805July%2713%29.jpg

Life+-+0006+%2805July%2713%29.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone. My updates are getting a bit erratic now and then, sorry about that. Scanning and uploading stuff takes some time and I'm always putting it off until the last minute.

So anyway, here's a pretty big update - bigger than what I usually post anyway. First is a quick and sloppy digi sketch I did. No idea what I was doing - just throwing in brush strokes and colour randomly to see if my brain could come up with something cool. And no, it couldn't.

Digi+-+0135+%252806July13%2529.jpg

Next are some digi studies of male figures. Never actually did much of these before, so as you can see my first attempt was... not so good. I started to getting the hang of it slowly though. Had to start with a line sketch first before painting. Not really skilled in starting with blocks of colour just yet. Practicng mostly how to "sculpt" with paint and also a little bit of anatomy and colour.

Digi+-+0136+%252807July13%2529.jpg

Digi+-+0137+%252807July13%2529.jpg

Digi+-+0138+%252807July13%2529.jpg

Digi+-+0139+%252809July13%2529.jpg

Digi+-+0140+%252815July13%2529.jpg

Figure studies after Loomis. Again, a bunch of ideal proportion studies. Trying to learn how to break it down and using key points and comparisons of the figure so that I can apply it to imagination stuff.

Figure+-+0069.jpg

Figure+-+0070.jpg

Figure+-+0071.jpg

And a whole bunch of sketchbook stuff. Life sketching and random drawings, mostly imagination practice. Oh, and a quick architectural sketchy thing.

Sketchbook+-+0078.jpg

Sketchbook+-+0079.jpg

Sketchbook+-+0080.jpg

Sketchbook+-+0081.jpg

Sketchbook+-+0082.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, another update here.

More digi paintings - I downloaded a bunch of brushes to try out. First image is a study. The portrait is just... ugh. I don't even know what I'm doing lol.

Digi+-+0141+%2816July13%29.jpg

Digi+-+0142+%2817July13%29.jpg

Digi+-+0143+%2823July13%29.jpg

Digi+-+0144+%2827July13%29.jpg

Aaand more Loomis studies. Struggling with linework again. Man, it never gets easier.

Figure+-+0072.jpg

Figure+-+0073.jpg

Figure+-+0074.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sup all! Got some more studies here. Mostly pencil stuffs. My wrist has been feeling a little wonky lately, so I've been trying to adjust the way I hold and draw with the pencil. I noticed I press down really hard often, so I'm trying to address that and not put to much pressure on my wrist all the time.

If anyone's got some advice on ways to hold the pencil to relieve some tension on the wrist, I'd really like to hear them. Thanks!

Here's a quick architecture study. Quick and dirty, mostly trying to understand the colours, reflections and the curvature of shiny buildings. I've been working on a little project that involves designing curvy, shiny buildings, which is why I've been doing studies of these types of architecture lately.

Digi+-+0145+%252828July13%2529.jpg

Aand more figure studies from Loomis. Same thing - proportion, linework, etc.

Figure+-+0075.jpg

Figure+-+0076.jpg

Figure+-+0077.jpg

Figure+-+0078.jpg

And lastly some more sketchbook pages.

Sketchbook+-+0083.jpg

Sketchbook+-+0084.jpg

Sketchbook+-+0085.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update! More drawings!

Figures from Loomis.

Figure+-+0079.jpg

Figure+-+0080.jpg

Figure+-+0081.jpg

Sketchbook!

Sketchbook+-+0086.jpg

Sketchbook+-+0087.jpg

Sketchbook+-+0088.jpg

Aaand I'm off!
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. Soo, I got a couple of stuff here. Looking back at my old stuff, yeah I do see a bit of improvement, but I dunno, I feel that the progress is reaaaally slow. I'll really have to step it up a notch if I wanna reach the quality of work I want to achieve. Still a long, long way. Jeez. Just a little reminder for myself to work harder, focus more and be more patient.

Some more digi studes of cityscapes. The first study is three paintings done simultaneously. I was trying to experiment with workflows. So the top image is painted from black and whte to colour, middle is from linework to colour, while the bottom one is straight colour. The second is to focus on the smaller details.

Note to myself: stop being so sloppy on my studies. My weakness is impatience and pushing myself to bring things to a finish. Doing sloppy studies won't help me on that aspect.

Digi+-+0146+%2812Aug13%29.jpg

Digi+-+0147+%2814Aug13%29.jpg

Next is head studies after Loomis. Struggling to draw the features in proportion to the head shape. Need more practice.

Portrait+-+0036.jpg

Portrait+-+0037.jpg

Portrait+-+0038.jpg

And some sketchbook pages. Mostly memory and imagination stuff, which are... terrible. Sloppiness seems to be the king of my bad habits here.

Sketchbook+-+0089.jpg

Sketchbook+-+0090.jpg

And lastly is something a bit more interesting and fun (at least for me). It's my A4 sketchbook. Trying to design a character from a random generator. First page involves my initial ideas and studies, followed by the final character design drawn from imagination/memory (as far as I could). Maybe I'll make this a weekly exercise if I can.

Sketchbook+-+0091.jpg

Sketchbook+-+0092.jpg

That's all for now. I'll try to step up the tempo of my works and push for more dailies. Cheers!
  • Twoflower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really nice studies! keep up the hard work :)
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twoflower - Thanks man! I'll keep pushing it!

More pencil drawings! Working on some portfolio stuff on the side now, really stoked to get it done so I can share it.

Loomis figure studies as usual. Still struggling with proportion and linework. Slow and steady I guess.

Figure+-+0082.jpg

Figure+-+0083.jpg

Figure+-+0084.jpg

Figure+-+0085.jpg

And sketchbook pages. Focusing on drawing from memory here. Drawing on the sketchbook paper with a mechical pencil really feels way better than drawing on copy paper with a regular pencil. It feels more fluid and I usually press lighter. Just an observation.

Sketchbook+-+0093.jpg

Sketchbook+-+0094.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all!! Here's a portrait study I did a while back.

Digi+-+0148+%252830Aug13%2529.jpg

And more sketchbook drawings! More sneaky life sketching this time round.

Sketchbook+-+0095.jpg

Sketchbook+-+0096.jpg

Sketchbook+-+0097.jpg

Sketchbook+-+0098.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone! Really excited beacuse I finally finished up my portfolio website!

So yeah, I only just recently completed my two year military service. I started working on some more portfolio pieces during the the last few months and managed to finish a couple of images that I think are portfolio-worthy. The last few weeks or so I've been busy making the website, cleaning up my other portfolio pieces and updating all my other community sites and profiles.

But anyway, enough talking, here's my site!

www.longjh.blogspot.com

Below are some of my latest works. The rest are in my website, plus some of my older works way at the bottom lol. And if you want, the higher res versions and descriptions can also be seen in my deviantArt.

GCr_World_wb1k.jpg
    GCr_Knight_wb1k.jpg

GCr_Nehani_wb1k.jpg

GCr_cottageexterior_wb1k.jpg

PRISMS_Marina_web1k.jpg

fdsa338.jpg

That's all for now. I'll keep trying to push for more and better works! Cheers!