Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: LongJh

Hello, Polycount!

So uh, new guy here! Well, actually I've lurking for quite some time in this forum, and finally decided to make this is my first post. My name's Junhong, 20 years old, from Singapore. And I'm hoping to hone my drawing and design skills right here in this sketchbook.

I was fortunate enough to go a digital media design school, where they taught drawing, colour theory, 3D, animation, etc. Halfway through I got hooked onto digital painting and concept art all the while doing 3D stuff for school projects (I specialized in game art and design, which focused a lot of 3D and production). So when I graduated my portfolio works were just all over the place - I had digital paintings here and 3D environments there and all sorts of random stuff.

I still want to do concept art and design. So after graduation I tried to work on some digital paintings.

And well, all I found out was that my skills were seriously lacking and that it was pointless to do all these paintings if I didn't even get the basics of drawing, anatomy, light and colour right. I did some practicing by myself for awhile but I found it was difficult (and boring) doing it alone. Also it was quite hard to judge my work for myself and to see what are the aspects that I need to improve on. So I decided it was time to stop lurking around and to get some serious help!

So that's why I decided make a sketchbook post here in polycount. You guys were a great help when I was doing 3D, and the community here is amazing. I know this is mostly a 3D-oriented forum, but I hope you guys will be willing to guide me along. And any critiques, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Aaand so, here's the stuff I did recently. I started with a bunch of studies figure studies from photographs, movies and even game screenshots lol. And also a bunch of 30 second poses. They all came out.. well, not so good. But I'll keep practicing!

I'll do my best to update as often as I can. Though in my current situation, I'm afraid I can only post during the weekends as the rest of the time I'll be away from home. But I won't be giving up!

Thank you for your patience!

Compile_001.jpgCompile_002.jpg

Replies

• LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More recent stuff here. More 30 second poses from posemaniacs.com, plus a 10min pose. And some eye studies from photographs.

Now that I look at it my scanner looks a little blurry lol. Or maybe I draw too lightly.

I'll be posting sketchbooks in cghub and conceptart.org too. Hopefully that will prevent me from getting lazy and motivate myself to do better each day!

Compile_003.jpgCompile_004.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's more 30 second poses and eye studies, some hand studies from life. Also tried some 60 second poses. For some reason my 60s poses look just like 30s ones even though I have twice the time to draw.

These are all the studies I did earlier this week. I'm trying to clear them out of the way so I can post the most recent ones.

Hope it's not to boring :/

Compile_006.jpgCompile_007.jpgCompile_005.jpgCompile_008.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone! Here's this week's update - These are last week's work that I scanned today, some hands, nose and face studies. Was trying to study the rough placements of facial features

Btw, I edited the previous pictures so that they are a little smaller and more compact. The previous sizes of the pics were like obnoxiously huge lol.

Compile_009.jpg031%2B-%2BFace%2BStudies.jpg
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    keep it up, drawing so many studies will surely pay off. i wish i was less lazy and did this kind of stuff more often.
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, Blaisoid! I'm actually really lazy too lol. Sometimes when I'm supposed to be drawing I just drift off into the vast confines of the internet and before I know it a whole hour will be gone. Ah well.

Anyways, more stuff! Finally caught up to the present.

First pics are some perspective stuff I did while studying Loomis' Successful Drawing book. Its such an awesome book, though the first few chapters of perspective stuff are pretty intimidating, right now I'm still at the spheres page, and the next few pages are looking even more challenging lol. I have a whole bunch of other perspective stuff but I don't think I'll be scanning those, it's really just a whole bunch of cubes and cones and stuff, not exactly very exciting, though I learned a whole lot.

Next are some really embarrassing heads done in an attempt to draw without reference. I keep messing up the proportions and size of the features. After that I went into a rage and searched "male models" and drew these four head studies.

Compile_011.jpg034%2B-%2BFace%2BSketches.jpg035%2B-%2BFace%2BStudies.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sup all! A bunch of stuff this time! I'm dumping my old perspective studies here, which are done along with Loomis' Successful Drawing book. It's not very exciting, yeah, I'm mostly uploading it for archiving purposes.

Compile_014.jpg
    Compile_015.jpg

Next are some digi landscape studies! Haven't touched my wacom in ages lol, so this was pretty fun. Pictures are from terragalleria.com, lots of pretty landscape photos there! My goal here is mostly to study colours (which I'm really pathetic at).

Compile_016.jpg

Aaand more perspective stuff from Loomis. These are done just last week. I'm progressing the pages of that book sloooowly lol. I'm at page 36 now. Getting a little more comfortable with this construction drawing stuff now, though I'm still doing simple forms. Hoping to apply all this to something useful soon.

Compile_017.jpg
    Compile_018.jpg
  • amadarien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amadarien polycounter lvl 8
    Studies.. AWESOME. That is the BEST way to improve. I try to do anatomy sketches of animals and people every day. I really need to do more gesture stuff though. Sometimes I find it hard to retain a lot of the minute details. I am very impressed by your sheer quantity of studies.
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amandarien: Haha, thank you! Yeah details are tough. Sometimes I always can't seem to put in the correct details properly. Probably need to start studying details too!

Ahh, a little slow on the update this time. I entered the imagineFX monthly challenge (the theme was Sky Harbour), so I was kinda busy with that the whole weekend. Soo that's what I'll be posting now!

These are the sketches and thumbnails I did to get an idea of what to draw for the final piece. Originally I planned to have to characters near the foreground buuut I gave up on that idea because I was afraid I couldn't finish it in time. Plus I was also struggling with scale and rendering so I didn't really have the confidence. So I went with itty bitty characters instead.
    Compile_019.jpg

After I decided on what to do, I did a basic perspective drawing first, before scanning and adding more details and linework digitally. The line took a hell of a long time because I kept getting stuck not knowing what to draw next.
    Compile_020.jpg

Compile_021.jpg

Aand the final piece. To be honest it didn't really come out the way I liked. I struggled a lot with stuff like lighting, colour and design details. There's also so much like "empty" areas all around. Plus it looks pretty bad when zoomed up lol, since the brushwork is really sloppy. Soo I probably will have to practice on all these things.
    Compile_022.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anatomy stuff! Some torso studies here. Trying to use the side of my pencil stead of the tip to do values instead of just line. Pretty fun but messy lol. Need to practice controlling my values to do those really nice high contrast drawings.
    054+-+Torso+Studies.jpg

Back to gestures. The last two are done with the side of my pencil, wanted to mimic charcoal.
    Compile_024.jpg

These are some crappy master copies of charcoal figure drawings done by Ryan Woodward. The way he draws with charcoal is amazing, and I wanted to study how he uses so few strokes to convey so much in his figures. Check out his stuff at conteanimated.com, he's crazy!
    059+-+Figure+Study.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!

Some poses from imagination - which are pretty bad lol, need to study proportions of the figure properly, plus learn all the landmarks of the human body so that I know where to render shadows and stuff. Also got a calligraphy pen today! Did some 30s gestures with it and random figure studies with it. And finally some arm anatomy studies.

For some reason I couldn't concentrate properly and I have no idea why soo I didn't do as much drawing as I wanted today. Bleh.

Compile_026.jpgCompile_027.jpg
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I really like the direction of those arm studies! Awesome job man, only way to get better at drawing, IS drawing! I will definitely be following your progress :) I really like your stuff
  • SSquir33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSquir33 polycounter lvl 12
    go ahead and put 2 dots down on a big page, and try join them up. repeat x100. ?????. Your draftsmanship level will dramatically improve. also freehand ellipses and dare you try, the perfect Circle are good practise/warm ups. :thumbup: keep studying hard!
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Keep them studies going! :)
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r - Haha, thanks! It means a lot to me. I can only hope my works won't end up boring you lol.

SSquir33 - Ah wow! I did try practising lines the way you mentioned before, though I must admit I ended up getting really bored with it too quickly. But your words are motivating me to start doing it again. And again! AND AGAIN! I saw these exercises being recommend by Feng Zhu in his videos, it's pretty inspiring. Wonder how long it will take to reach his level of draftsmanship. Freehand circles are immensely hard lol. But yeah I'll start practising that too. Thanks!

Eoq - Thank you! I will!

More studies! Focused on arm anatomy these few days. Still gotta study a little on the muscle and bone to know how to render the form of the arm properly. Also need to study how the arm works when it's bent and twisted, and how it connects to the shoulders and the torso. Oh yeah, and arms in perspective too lol. Ahh so much to learn!

Compile_028.jpg

Also tried to do a few full figure poses from imagination. I had to do a really messy way of figuring out the pose though and most of it was guesswork instead of really understanding though. Soo that means I gotta do more full figure studies then.

Compile_029.jpg

Next are some heads from imagination and hands from life. Uhh, I think I was on autopilot when I drew these. Wasn't really concentrating much, especially the hands lol. And my heads are still really terrible bleh. Think I'll be doing head anatomy studies next.

Compile_030.jpg

And lastly some 30s gestures with a calligraphy pen!

Compile_031.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some digital painting photo studies. Mostly trying to study colour and lighting, so I used a brush with no opacity setting so I had to see and apply each individual colour instead of relying too much on blending to get the colours.

It's a pretty cool way to practice colours I think, although it doesn't provide blending and shading practice, which is another thing I'm really weak in. I'll most probably do some blending exercises soon! And try to paint some figures as well. To be honest I hardly ever paint figures - it's mostly environments, sooo it's gonna be a bit of a challenge.

Studies from terragalleria
    Digi+-+0005+%2809May12%29.jpg
    Digi+-+0006+%2809May12%29.jpg
    Digi+-+0007+%2809May12%29.jpg

Then a couple of quick ones from imagination - I think they turned out okay, though the colours I've chosen could've been more... harmonious?
    Digi+-+0008+%252809May12%2529.jpg
    Digi+-+0009+%252810May12%2529.jpg

And last two studies from some holiday travel website.
    Digi+-+0010+%2811May12%29.jpgDigi+-+0011+%2811May12%29.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    This is a great sketchbook dude, many of those studies are elegantly handled, keep at it!
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman - Thanks man, I'll keep doing my best! You know your works are really inspiring btw!

Another update! Did some random thumbnail-ish sketches of environments to see if I can come up with interesting ideas and compositions. For some reason when I started doing these my mind suddenly froze up and I couldn't seem to come up with any interesting ideas aaand so I just sort of vomited out some generic rocks and cliffs and other boring stuff. My imagination seems to be at an all time low recently... has anyone ever experienced this before? And if so, any ideas on how to jump start the good 'ol creative brain?

Also bought a new sketchbook! To be honest I'm really nervous to start drawing on it lol. All my recent studies and sketches were all done on plain old copy paper because there is no pressure. But I guess I gotta get over that fear sooner or later.

Sketches+-+0002.jpg

And here's some studies from The Fundementals of Figure Drawing by Barrington Barber that I borrowed from the library.

Compile_033.jpg

And lastly, back some good ol' perspective studies from Loomis!

Compile_034.jpg
  • Naugat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naugat polycounter lvl 12
    Hey there, looking good brah - you're on the right path. Maybe throw in some skull studies, I found that helped with faces.

As for keeping going; one thing that's kept me drawing consistently is life drawing. If you can find a drop in life drawing session you can attend every week, it's a big boost. If it's anything like Malaysia the models can't be completely naked, but it's still worth the time and money.
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naugat - Thank you! Yeah, I've been meaning to do some skull studies soon - always ended up doing other stuff though, haha, I'll start soon! Also I would really love to go to some life drawing sessions, haven't found one yet, though, in the meantime I'll be sticking to books and the internet lol.

Gaaaah! I didn't draw anything at all yesterday! Gotta make up for lost time!

More Barrington Barber studies! I changed the male and female figures at the bottom a little though, instead of copying straight from the book - 'cause I felt their poses were a little stiff and awkward. Nooot sure if I made an improvement though.

Compile_035.jpg

Aaand skeletons! Gotta figure out stuff like how the bones twist and turn and landmarks and all that good stuff. Might do some quick skeletal poses in the future maybe?

Compile_036.jpg

I ought to do some sketches and drawings of my own. But lately my mind is totally blank so all I can do are studies. Bleh...
  • Naugat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naugat polycounter lvl 12
    Heh, I wouldn't worry about drawing from your head so much - it's a myth the best work without reference.

If you're more comfortable having a ton of photos to reference from, you're not alone - The Dinotopia Guy loves his reference and I know Ghibli artists who swear by youtube and their iPhone camera. Print it out, pin it up, reference dat. Whatever gets the job done.
  • gillmeister74
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gillmeister74 polycounter lvl 7
    Naugat is dead right, Reference is key to a lot of great and solid art work. But hey, great studies! You're really going at it and it shows in the quality of your work. At this rate you are just going to get better and better. If I had to give you any sort of critique it would be that anatomy is still eluding you a bit in terms of proportions. Good news is, you are on your way to fixing that keeping up with this sketchbook! keep going at it!
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naugat - Yeah, I understand. My interest in drawing from head is mostly so that when I relax to draw and sketch, I won't go into a rage because I keep can't draw a decent face, hand or foot properly and have to run screaming to the internet. I think it's more fun if you can draw basic stuff like anatomy uninhibited from your mind. But I totally understand what you're saying, I'll definitely still use reference! There's just too much cool stuff out there to ignore!

gillmeister74 - Thanks! Yeah, proportions is tough lol. Everytime I leave and look at my studies a day or two later I always cringe when I notice all the mistakes. Face proportions are especially hard for me. Get that eye a little too big or that nose too low (both of which I'm constantly guilty of) and you just ruin everything.

Anyway, started drawing on my new sketchbook! Just some really random stuff. Really messy and badly drawn lol, it reminds me to practice more!

Sketchbook+-+0001.jpg

And more perspective studies from Loomis. About halfway through the perspective section, learning new stuff every page, though I admittedly I think I'm going a bit slow. (I keep stopping after doing one page)

Compile_038.jpg

Aaand some heads practice. First one's from imagination - which was a disaster, second one's from photo refs - which are also disasters. I feel kinda bad for the models in the photos I drew from. Will be doing more heads this weekend.

Compile_039.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all! It's been a pretty busy week. But uhhh here's some stuff!

Some envi studies. First one is from imagination, second is from photo ref. Coming up with realistic and harmonious colours is tough!

Digi+-+0012+%252826May12%2529.jpg
    Digi+-+0013+%252826May12%2529.jpg

Also tried painting some heads. Black and white cuz I'm afraid of colours atm.

Digi+-+0014+%252826May12%2529.jpg

Sketches! Went drawing with a friend at mac's. Sketched a character from a manga I was reading and practiced drawing heads.

Sketchbook+-+0002.jpg

Portraits from photo refs! Added more shading and stuff instead of just line, think it helps a little, might add more darker values next time. The last two portraits at the bottom didn't turn up so well... sorry about that.

Portrait+-+0007.jpg

Aaand finally, more perspective from Loomis! First one is a little sketch projected into perspective as sort of a "test" to see what I have learnt, instead of just copying from the book. Pretty excited cuz the next few pages looks like it's going into more practical perspective stuff!

Persp+-+0026.jpg
    Persp+-+0027.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went sketching with some friends yesterday, practiced nature and stuff. The second pic started off as a tree sketch but soon my impatience took over and I just ruined everything. So I just filled the page with studies of leaves and grass. It's pretty interesting too see how they bend and twist in reality. Need to practice how to draw clumps of foliage and trees though.

Sketchbook+-+0003.jpg
    Sketchbook+-+0004.jpg

Also, a DRAGON! Haven't done dragons much now that I think about it. My first few attempts were a disaster though, because of my lack of knowledge of animal anatomy.

Sketches+-+0003.jpg

And finally some figures from imagination. Still bad... yeah. Curse my messy lines!

Figure+-+0019.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update! It's been a pretty busy week, soo I didn't really get to squeeze as much drawing as I would've liked. But here's what I got so far!

Painted some eye studies from photos in photoshop. Mainly focusing on practicing colours and rendering.

Digi+-+0015+%252803June12%2529.jpg
    Digi+-+0016+%2803June12%29.jpg
    Digi+-+0017+%2803June12%29.jpg

Then trying to apply what I learned by painting one from my mind.

Digi+-+0018+%2803June12%29.jpg

Next are more perspective studies (from Loomis as usual). While doing the drawing with the church I ran into a few problems and made a some mistakes, so I did a few other orthographic-to-perspective drawings using simple shapes to practice a little more before moving on.

Persp+-+0028.jpg
    Persp+-+0029.jpg
    Persp+-+0030.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aahhh, late update! A bunch of of pics coming! (Some of it's last week's stuff)

I finally got around to do those skull studies that I kept saying I'll do. At first I was on autopilot a little - drawing without thinking much - cuz I had no idea what I was supposed to be concentrating on. The skull shape? The position of the features? But after awhile I started focusing on the planes of the skull - where the forms turn, etc, hope it'll come in handy when I start drawing/painting heads.

Anatomy+-+0016.jpg
    Anatomy+-+0017.jpg

Next are some studies I did as practice for my entry CGHub's Anatomicae challenge - Fog, Lights and Rock & Roll. Mostly studying musician poses and the underlying form and anatomy, also trying to capture their movement and energy and stuff - man, am I bad at this. Bleh.

Figure+-+0020.jpg
    Figure+-+0021.jpgAnatomy+-+0018.jpg

Also, some heads. Some reffed, some not. You can probably tell which is which.

Portrait+-+0008.jpg

Aaaand as usual - perspective practice! I'm still working on the same page of Loomis' Successful Drawing where it touches on the basics of 2-pt construction drawing. Drawing a bunch of random buildings get a better understanding of some problems I'm having.

Persp+-+0031.jpg
    Persp+-+0032.jpgPersp+-+0033.jpg

And finally some black and white composition sketches I did for CGHub's Anatomicae challenge. Trying to come up with some interesting lighting effects and a nice composition. Reffed from a few music videos of the awesome japanese all-girl rock band - SCANDAL!

Digi+-+0019+%252816June12%2529.jpg
    Digi+-+0020+%252816June12%2529.jpg
    Digi+-+0021+%252816June12%2529.jpg

Edit - Does anyone know how to prevent the auto Youtube video embedding? I just want a link, not a video in the middle of the post.
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whew, sorry, another late update. Busy, busy week. But here's some stuff!

Some fog studies done for CGhub's Fog, Lights and Rock&Roll Anatomicae challenge. Hopefully the practice will help me in doing misty mountains and foggy scenes in the future!

Digi+-+0021+%252817June12%2529.jpg
    Digi+-+0022+%252817June12%2529.jpg

Aaaaand the final! Learnt quite a bit doing this one (I originally added a bunch of random photoshop blur effects, but in the end I don't think it did much to improve the picture, so yeah, also got a reminder that less is more!) Oh, and you can check out the WIP and stuff here!

Shunkan+Sentimental+%252818June%252712%2529.jpg

Lip studies! Found out that I rarely draw mouths that are slightly open - it seems all I ever do are closed mouths. Also, teeth.

Digi+-+0023+%252818June12%2529.jpg
    Digi+-+0024+%252818June12%2529.jpg
    Digi+-+0025+%252818June12%2529.jpg

Aaand one from memory after the practice.

Digi+-+0026+%252818June12%2529.jpg

I still got a bit more stuff to post soon!
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updaaate!

More perspective practice! Ran into a few curved edges problems in the first one, plus made a bunch of wierd mistakes. So did a few more simple exercises. Think I'll be doing a couple more before moving on.

Persp+-+0034.jpg
    Persp+-+0035.jpg

Next are some nose studies in photoshop! I realised I'm pretty bad at noses - like how the nose forms differ from each other and stuff. Also I think I was being pretty sloppy with the rendering and colour observation. The last one is from memory/imagination. It looks... pretty bad lol. In my mind I had no idea what a natural nose was supposed to look like.
    Digi+-+0027+%2820June12%29.jpg
    Digi+-+0028+%2820June12%29.jpg
    Digi+-+0029+%2820June12%29.jpg
    Digi+-+0030+%2820June12%29.jpg

Next are some heads studies/practice. When I draw heads without reference I'm still samefacing a lot. Ugh. Trying to understand and capture different features.

Portrait+-+0009.jpg

Aaand lastly, a sketch and a study! Done on copy paper cuz I'm still too scared to draw on my sketchbooook.

Sketchbook+-+0008.jpg
  • kevlar jens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lots of great studies!

Keep it up :)
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kevlar jens - Thank you!

Aaand, another update here.

First up, a naked sword dude from imagination! It had 10000 mistakes so I did a few studies of the really bad ones for practice. As usual - need to improve on line quality, anatomy, dynamic pose/gesture, etc.

Figure+-+0022.jpg

Next are some pencil rendering practice. Used tissue papers to get that smooth blend. I borrowed a book on drawing/rendering portraits that advised me to do a few of these a initial practice.

Sketchbook+-+0009.jpg

And some more perspective stuff. The last two are studies from Loomis' Successful Drawing book. I tackled the church drawing again and finally moved up one page. Yay.

Persp+-+0036.jpg
    Persp+-+0037.jpg
    Persp+-+0038.jpg

Aaand lastly, some portrait studies! A few of them are studies of drawings by the amazing Alex Pascenko!

Portrait+-+0010.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaaaah busy busy. Also, a tiny update! It's last weekends' stuff. Managed to squeeze some time to post it up!

Wtf is this thing? It's so bad I just had to post it to remind myself how much I suck.

Portrait+-+0011.jpg

Borrowed How to Draw Lifelike Portraits by Lee Hammond and started on some nose studies. Not really digging the blending/rendering method (cuz I feel it takes waaaay too much time for me) but I did it anyway. It's got a pretty nice look but I think I still prefer hatching or just simple shading.

Anatomy+-+0020.jpg

Anatomy+-+0019.jpg

Aaaand some portraits from imagination. I think I improved a bit (bu just a little bit). I seem to have this bad habit of drawing eyes too close together.

Portrait+-+0012.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more updates for this week! My focus was a little off this weekend. I basically wasted a lot of time rolling on the floor and getting drowsy for no apparant reason.

The usual perspective from Loomis. Should apply all this into something useful soon.

Persp+-+0039.jpg

Persp+-+0040.jpg

Some heads from imagination. I flipped this drawing in photoshop, and my mind exploded from how bad the mirrored image looked, everything was like distorted, I'll have to take note of this, must be the angle I'm drawing with on paper. Also my faces all still look too similar.

Portrait+-+0013.jpg

Lips studies after Lee Hammond's How to Draw Realistic Portraits book. I apologize for the freaky looking heads on the second picture, especially the supposedly-female-looking one. I was more concentrated on where lips should be placed and totally neglected everything else.

Anatomy+-+0021.jpg

Anatomy+-+0022.jpg

And lastly, some digi studies from Terragalleria. Uh, I'm bad at drawing tree branches. I always get too impatient/lazy. Sorry.

Digi+-+0031+%2808July12%29.jpg

Digi+-+0032+%2808July12%29.jpg

Digi+-+0033+%2808July12%29.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhh not a productive week, I didn't get to draw as much as I wanted. I guess I'll just leave these here.

Loomis perspective stuff. Just this one this week lol. I ran into some problems understanding this one but I think I get it now.

Persp+-+0041.jpg

And some head studies. Starting to get into hair. So many things to practice at one go!

Portrait+-+0014.jpg

More lip studies. Focusing also on line quality. I got lazy at the end though.

Anatomy+-+0023.jpg

And some random sketchies. Ahh, I'm terrible at figures. GOTTA PRACTICEEEE

Sketchbook+-+0010.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all! Here's more stuff for this week! I've been losing steam recently, must be because my terrible sleeping habits during the weekend.

The usual perspective from Loomis' Successful Drawing. Think I went a little overboard with the note-taking.

Persp+-+0042.jpg

Persp+-+0043.jpg

Back to gestures drawings! 30s poses with a calligraphy pen. Haven't done those in awhile. Mainly to get myself familiar with drawing the full figure again. I wonder how those artists out there are able to do such awesome 30s gestures with so much movement and accuracy. Mine are just messy and bad.

30+Seconds+-+0023.jpg

Next are 60s gestures done with a charcoal pencil. I dunno. I tried to get that "classical" traditional charcoal drawing look but it didn't turn out so well.

60+Seconds+-+0005.jpg

60+Seconds+-+0006.jpg

Aaaand a 10min figure drawing. Yeah... bad, I know. I noodled around and ran out of time before I could finish the important parts.

Figure+-+0023.jpg

Lastly, some sketchbook stuff! Couldn't resist practicing more eyes lol. I'm just always annoyed that I might keep drawing almost the same eyes all the time. Plus random rocks, trees and grass! (Was practicing how grass would bend and stuff)

Sketchbook+-+0011.jpg

Sketchbook+-+0012.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaaaaaaah late update!

More perspective stuff from Loomis! Getting into some more interesting stuff now - the last image was a lot of fun to do, might probably do more of these kind of interior stuff for practice. Also I realise I suck at drawing furniture. And people.

Persp+-+0044.jpg

Persp+-+0045.jpg

Persp+-+0046.jpg

30 second posemaniacs! I'm still struggling with laying down proper proportions quickly. With these quick gestures I'm always torn between doing accurate measurement and energetic strokes - I've seen people who can do both, but it just seems to slip right out of my fingers. Ugh, maybe I'm thinking too much.

30+Seconds+-+0024.jpg

Lastly, some figure stuff! First ones are studies, mainly focusing on proportion and doing proper measurement. I got lazy halfway though. Second ones from imagination - can't seem to come up with more interesting and dynamic poses. I think I may to study some anatomical landmarks and some figure construction techniques.

Figure+-+0024.jpg

Figure+-+0025.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a bit of stuff done this week. First off, some perspective practice to apply what I learned from Loomis! Ran into some perspective distortion issues. Might be because my paper is too small and I'm trying to squeeze everything too much. Or maybe I didn't construct the perspective grid properly. Hm.

Persp+-+0047.jpg

Persp+-+0047.jpg

Aaand some digi stuff again! First one is an attempt at painting a head from imagination. I think the drawing came out... okay (I still think I'm samefacing), but the rendering is like, I dunno I wanted to make it look like skin but it turned out like plastic or something. Too many wierd colours and highlights? I'm still not used to the forms of the head too.

Digi+-+0034+%2830July12%29.jpg

So yeah next are digi portrait studies. Mainly focusing on colour and somewhat on facial proportions. I didn't really do much blending though. I apologise if the heads end up looking creepy. It's really tough!

Digi+-+0035+%2830July12%29.jpg

Digi+-+0036+%2804Aug12%29.jpg

I wanted to do a third head study but I was getting a little burnt out and tired. So I did this quick little painting of a flower to relax a little. And also to try out a different digital painting method. So far I've mostly restricted myself to using the hard round brush with no opacity to paint (then using one with opacity set to pressure to blend). Gotta find out more methods for rendering!

Digi+-+0037+%252804Aug12%2529.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! Had an off day today! So I drew things.

First up is a head done along with Linda Bergvist's skintones tutorial. It was a little awkward for me at the beginning cuz it wasn't my usual method of painting, but it became pretty fun in the end. Learnt a bunch about colour and colour mixing from this, though I'm still struggling with the head forms and where to put the shadow/highlight etc. Will probably revisit this in the future again.

Digi+-+0038+%2805Aug12%29.jpg

More Loomis perspective! Reached 50 pages of perspective studies up to this point. Yay.

Persp+-+0049.jpg

Persp+-+0050.jpg

Persp+-+0051.jpg

30 second gestures. I think I'll make it a point to do gestures as a warmup before doing more figure studies. Also, I'm hoping that doing these gestures will help me improve the speed, movement and proportion of my figure stuff. The first two pages are a little messy cuz I just kept redrawing over the old poses a few times.

30+Seconds+-+0025.jpg

Aand finally some Bridgeman studies. Starting on his book - The Complete Guide to Drawing from Life. Used a fineliner pen for these. Normally I'd be really careful when doing studies. But recently it's been pretty tedious and tiring for me. So for now I'll probably be using the pen to do loose studies - it feels more comfortable. Impatience keeps getting the better of me.

Figure+-+0026.jpg

Figure+-+0027.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all! Just leaving this tiny update here.

Some more 30s gestures.

30+Seconds+-+0026.jpg

Figures from imagination! Don't mind the weird hatching - it's to distract you from my crappy linework.

Figure+-+0028.jpg

Aaand some Bridgman studies. Not sure if I should imitate his style/technique or just copy down exactly what I see.

Figure+-+0029.jpg

Figure+-+0030.jpg
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i'd advise you to use more helper lines when drawing heads. you clearly are able to draw good looking noses, eyes and ears but when you put them all together on a face their proportions and distances between them often look really off.
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid - Yeah, I totally agree. Thanks for pointing that out. I've been struggling with that problem for a long time now. Hopefully, with some practice, I'll be able to improve on that.

It's really late - but have an update!

The usual Loomis perspective practice. Studying inclined planes now. Nearing the end soon. I'll probably have to do some practical application of what I've learnt so far. Just doing studies is pretty pointless if I don't make use of it.

Persp+-+0052.jpg

Persp+-+0053.jpg

A little digi sketch from imagination. Ran into some problems on how to go about rendering it properly sooo I pretty much gave up on it. Need to practice more environments!

Digi+-+0039+%252817Aug12%2529.jpg

Here's something a little different. I've always had trouble trying to draw symmetrical things or unfamilier angles from my drawing hand (right), so I did this pen sketch thing to practice drawing symmetry. It's pretty random, yeah.

Sketchbook+-+0013.jpg

Aand some more eye studies. As usual I've got to improve my linework and shading with a pencil.

Anatomy+-+0024.jpg

And lastly some Bridgman figure studies. I was being really sloppy with these, bleh.

Figure+-+0031.jpg

Figure+-+0032.jpg

Anatomy+-+0025.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick little update! All digital stuffs. First up are some studies from terragalleria. I'm having trouble painting details - though I think it might be because I painted with a really small canvas.

Digi+-+0040+%2820Aug12%29.jpg

Digi+-+0041+%2820Aug12%29.jpg

Digi+-+0042+%2820Aug12%29.jpg

Then trying to apply what I learned by painting a little something from imagination. Still struggling with more realistic colours. I think I tend to oversaturate things too much and that makes my paintings a bit more stylized than I intended.

Digi+-+0043+%2820Aug12%29.jpg

And lastly, a quick study from life.

Life+-+0001+%2820Aug12%29.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!, here's an update!

Just the usual Loomis perspective practice. The last downslope city drawing is pretty bad. I was really impatient and just rushed it out - and it shows. Also I didn't really concentrate on drawing the cars properly (and in the right scale!). But me struggling to draw cars is also a reminder that I've still got a lot to learn about simple forms and shapes in perspective.

Persp+-+0054.jpg

Persp+-+0055.jpg

Persp+-+0056.jpg

Bridgman studies.

Figure+-+0033.jpg

Aand some figures from imagination. The anatomy and proportion is pretty off, and I was being pretty messy and reckless with my lines. But these are done pretty quick - and the reason is so that I can find out what are my bad habits and what I need to improve on when it comes to drawing figures.

Figure+-+0034.jpg

I concluded that I'm really bad when it comes to drawing the lower body (among other things) and so I did some leg studies from photos.

Anatomy+-+0026.jpg

Followed by a few from imagination to practice what I learned.

Anatomy+-+0027.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all! Got an update here.

Some silly figure doodles. Not really thinking, just making random marks and see if I could come up with some convincing figures and poses. Have to start thinking of anatomy and rendering forms next time.

Figure+-+0035.jpg

Figure+-+0036.jpg

Gah, some really, really bad non-reffed head sketches. So many studies and practice and I still can't seem to draw a proper head, so frustrating. Either I need to concentrate more or rethink my learning approach. Still really struggling with the features, too. Especially the eyes. I can't seem to draw the eyes and make the irises look where I want without redrawing like a hundred times. Bleh.

Portrait+-+0015.jpg

The usual perspective studies after Loomis!

Persp+-+0057.jpg

Persp+-+0058.jpg

Some digi heads. About an hour each. Um, not really done very well. As usual, features and proportions seem... awkward.

Digi+-+0044+%2830Aug12%29.jpg

Digi+-+0045+%2830Aug12%29.jpg

Digi+-+0046+%2830Aug12%29.jpg

Aaaand a new sketchbook! A really small one to bring along with me wherever I go! Gonna start sketching more from life. It's really tough! All my lines are really messy.

Sketchbook+-+0014.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More stuff! I'm hoping next time I'll start working harder to draw more stuff and manage my time more efficiently.

First are some head drawings. Practicing head various head construction techniques (lifted from several online tutorials), mainly because I my proportions are pretty much alway off for my facial features and also to try out how to construct different head "shapes". Kind of came out a little wonky though (the second image).

Portrait+-+0016.jpg

Portrait+-+0017.jpg

Portrait+-+0018.jpg

And then a little digi head from imagination. Not so good. Skin tones, values and underlying head structure definitely needs more work.

Digi+-+0047%2802Sep12%29.jpg

More perspective studies after Loomis. Probably after 1 more page I'll be pausing on this for awhile - and start applying the perspective stuff I learnt so far. And also to brush up on my figure drawing skills because the next few pages will be dealing a lot with the human figure in perspective.

Persp+-+0059.jpg

Persp+-+0060.jpg

Lastly, sketchbook pages! Time really flies when you're drawing in public transport.

Sketchbook+-+0015.jpg

Sketchbook+-+0016.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slow week. Trying to come up with some ideas for drawing some environments that will test how much I've learnt from my perspective studies. Nothing much to show for that now, but till then, here are a few drawings!

More head studies. Second one is from imagination with a focus on constructing the head using circles and lines/curves. I think I'll have to study the skull structure more instead of solely relying on abstract construction to draw convincing heads.

Portrait+-+0019.jpg

Portrait+-+0020.jpg

Next are some studies from Bridgman. Same thing - using too much abstract construction, but no real understanding of the underlying anatomy. Need to study some bones and muscles.

Figure+-+0037.jpg

Figure+-+0038.jpg

And lastly some sketchbook stuff. Some from life, some from ref, some from head.

Sketchbook+-+0017.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all, got an update here!

Lately I've been thinking about my works so far, looking at my old stuff and reviewing them. It's been a couple of months since I started this practice regime thing, and I think I managed to improve a little - though not as fast as I would have liked. I know that improving takes time and all, I guess I'm a little impatient. Looking at other people's sketchbook, particular those artists who weren't so good in the beginning and had practiced their butt off and eventually became outstanding artists now, I'm convinced I could be drawing a little more and thinking a little more than I actually am right now. Because, truth be told I'm actually not managing my time well and lazing off more often than I should - and along with other commitments, it's not a good idea to waste so much time.

Also, since my end game is to be an awesome concept artists whose job is to create amazing, mind-blowing new designs - it's probably a good idea to flex my imagination and design muscles once in a while and not just keep doing copies and studies. Um, might have to think of some methods to approach this issue.

But anyway, I'm rambling. Just wanted to get that load off my head and get it out there. In short - more practice! More thinking! Less procrastinating!

Some digi studies in preparation for the New Worlds Challenge over at CGhub.

Digi+-+0048+%252814Sep12%2529.jpg

Digi+-+0049+%252815Sep12%2529.jpg

Digi+-+0050+%2815Sep12%29.jpg

And this is my entry to the challenge. It didn't come out exactly as I would have liked, nor as fast as I would've liked (I dunno it took like 8 hours or something just to paint this lame thing), but I'm really glad I attempted this - it showed me where my level was still at. Painted using only the round brush, had a lot of trouble blending and painting grass, as well as a whole bunch of other problems (lighting, colour, etc, etc). Oh well, you can see the progress here!

forgotten_plains+%252816sept%252712%2529.jpg

Bridgman studies. Trying to fully absorb the ideas that he is trying to convey through his figures drawings. Though I'm not 100% sure I'm getting it.

Figure+-+0039.jpg

Figure+-+0040.jpg

Two silly little digi paintings from life I did on my Iphone using Sketchbook Pro. Not really used to it's interface and painting with my fingers, so they came out a little wonky. And I supposed they count as practice of some sort.

Life+-+0002+%252816sept%252712%2529.JPGLife+-+0003+%252816Sept%252712%2529.JPG

Sketchbook stuff.

Sketchbook+-+0018.jpg

Aaand, also started on an assignment I created for myself to apply all that I have learnt from Andrew Loomis so far.

This is the assignment!
    Perspective Self-Assignment and Review

1-Pt. Perspective
    > Central Horizon (Normal View) > Exterior and Interior
    > High Horizon (Bird's Eye View) > Exterior and Interior
    > Low Horizon (Worm's Eye View) > Exterior and Interior

2-Pt. Perspective
    > Central Horizon (Normal View) >Exterior and Interior
    > High Horizon (Bird's Eye View) > Exterior and Interior
    > Low Horizon (Worm's Eye View) - Exterior and Interior

Inclining Perspective
    > Exterior and Interior

Declining Perspective
    > Exterior and Interior

(Total 16 drawings)

Guidelines

- Draw an environment/landscape scene with each perspective guideline as shown above (eg. 2-pt. perspective -> high horizon -> exterior)
    - Come up with an interesting composition and use different locations and subject matter for each scene (eg. use different landscapes/architecture for each drawing, don't draw the same stuff each time)
    - Focus on understanding perspective, drafting techniques and proper scaling. Avoid copying he perspective directly from reference. Referencing design details is allowed.
    - Add repeating elements, repeated accurately through space. (Eg. Pillars, windows, patterns, staircases (for inclining/declining perspective), etc.)
    - Introduce curved surfaces when possible.
    - Human figures not required.
    And this is the first little drawing! An exterior scene in 1-pt perspective with a centralised horizon. Worked on this 2 hours every night for about 3 nights not including preliminary doodles. A lot I could probably improve on, like more interesting details (it's all just bricks here, wtf) and paying more attention to accurate scaling (there are some scaling mistakes, particularly on the railings of the top part of the bridge compared to the railings near the bench). Still, I think I learnt a fair bit from this.

Persp+-+0061.jpg

And that's it! So, so sorry for such a long post, I hope it wasn't too boring - and thank you for taking a look!
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update! Have some drawings!

Figure studies after Bridgman. Did some shading to try to understand and differentiate the planes of the figure. I think it helps since Bridgman draws his figures in a really simplified, planar way. Still trying to figure out how to get the most out of studying his life drawing book.

Figure+-+0041.jpg

Figure+-+0042.jpg

Figure+-+0043.jpg

Leg studies. To... study the leg.

Anatomy+-+0028.jpg

Anatomy+-+0029.jpg

Anatomy+-+0030.jpg

Aand the sketchbook. Some of it are sketches of my next perspective drawing - which I'm currently pushing myself to complete as soon as I can!

Sketchbook+-+0019.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all. Had an off day today so I drew a few things.

Finally finished my 2nd perspective drawing. It's a walled city kind of thing! It was pretty painful drawing every house and building and trying to match the perspective accurately (with a ruler and everything). But in the end I think I did ok. Though, I must admit I got lazy at the end and didn't do any details nearer to the foreground. Also, the design of the buildings are pretty bland I guess, and so is the arrangment of the city itself, and not enough variety. Will have to take not of all these in the future.

Persp+-+0062.jpg

Some 30s gestures. Pretty lame lol, but I did these stick-figure style to practice proportions. So yeah, I was wondering if it helps or not. Also some 1min gestures. Ugh, I still draw really messily and inaccurately.

30+Seconds+-+0028.jpg

60+Seconds+-+0007.jpg

60+Seconds+-+0008.jpg

And some embarrassing figure drawings using posemaniacs as reference. Tried do some shading, but it came out terrible. I had no clue on how to shade the forms of the figure properly - especially on the face and torso.

Figure+-+0044.jpg

Lastly, some Bridgman studies.

Figure+-+0045.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update! Lots of Bridgman!

Sometimes I do a study and I don't feel like I've understood or learnt anything at all, or I felt that my process and approach was too clumsy. When that happens I try redraw it again and try to address the mistakes and weak points of the previous study. I think it helps a little.

Figure+-+0046.jpg

Figure+-+0047.jpg

Figure+-+0048.jpg

Figure+-+0049.jpg

Figure+-+0050.jpg

Figure+-+0051.jpg

Figure+-+0052.jpg

Aaand random sketchbook stuff.

Sketchbook+-+0020.jpg
  • LongJh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! Um, not super interesting, but here's some stuff!

A bunch of sphere studies. Mostly to practice colour and lighting, and also a little on brushwork and blending (used the hard round brush for all these). Learnt a bunch about lighting from this tutorial.

Digi+-+0051+%252808Oct12%2529.jpg

Digi+-+0052+%252808Oct12%2529.jpg

Digi+-+0053+%2808Oct12%29.jpg

Digi+-+0054+%252811Oct12%2529.jpg

Digi+-+0055+%252811Oct12%2529.jpg

Digi+-+0056+%252811Oct12%2529.jpg

Digi+-+0057+%252811Oct12%2529.jpg

And some sketchbook pages!

Sketchbook+-+0021.jpg

Sketchbook+-+0022.jpg