Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Old Mansion - WIP

hi, im working on a old mansion that will go into udk and have gameplay and stuff. But for now just working on my art.

Im going for the wooden panel walls. In some rooms it will be full wood panels and in some just half. This is just a test and I would like some feedback on improving them and such.

So the image is a simple block and the texture with normal and specular on it. (im not expert so please tell me where I am going wrong. :):))

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Wallpanels.jpg

Replies

• benj666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just uploaded to UDK for a quick test.

UDKTest.jpg
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a couple things I see. I think you could benefit a bit from darkening the diffuse of your wood and using a spec with some contrast to break up the surface a bit. right now it is reading a bit flat with your spec. Also the amount of rippling in your normal map is making the wood seem almost like it is a thin wood veneer on top of the underlying structure.
  • Oranghe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye maybe tone down the normal a tad more, for spec don't be afraid to experiment also with texture over lays and color! :D you could push the highlights in your spec also and diffuse.

Good start though keep pushing it!
  • Moshbeast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i completely agree with mrturtle and oranghe your spec needs a lot more love since wood isnt that shiny specially not old wood and where is the wear and tear when you say old mansion i think of a big place with loads of antiques in there so let them show how old they are even antiques have a few dents and scratches here and there

then metal piece in the bottom center i assume its suppose to be rusted but from a specular standpoint it all looks the same rust isnt that shiny and its kind of dulling out the areas that need to be shiny
  • benj666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i agree aswell. A little too bright. also normal needs toning down alot, and ive already been messing with that.

Yeah thanks for the feedback guys. Working on the UDK side of it (gameplay and stuff) will post an update when done :)
  • benj666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys. quick update. Did some more assets. I know these are rough in terms of modeling. Just not refined the shape yet.

Also i think i went alittle overboard with the dirt, maybe someone can help me out with this.

Thanks in advance.

Love you all :)

woodtest2.jpg

woodtest2-2.jpg

woodtest2-3.jpg

PS i had more images, but my computer crashed as i was saving them. BAHH!
  • Oranghe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when adding dirt to things and you remove it try to remove it with a hard brush as the dirt would of been removed by man made means or things brushing against it. It looks a bit noisy with the dirt at the moment try to focus where it builds up and for general dirt make it just less visible :) i do like where your going with it though! keep the updates comin!
  • benj666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @oranghe thanks. yeah i got abit stuck on dirt. hopefully i can get it looking better.

Currently reformatting computer. Then I will finish my floor piece and post an update and then start working on my assets. :)

Please i welcome any critique! :)
  • benj666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so. Did a quick update. I formatted my computer and havent yet installed UDK so these are just shots from maya.

Here is a floor tile I did. I was gonna have this on the ground floor in the main room. but i dont think it will mesh well with the rest of the wood. so i was either thinking a carpted floor or maybe a marble tiled floor. But will still use this somewhere else.

floortileexample.jpg

Here is a tabled I worked on. Just in mesh form for now. Gonna bake it, but wanted some feedback on it first.
    table.jpg
  • benj666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update.

Oranghe let me know that the wooden floor tile is a little dark so i took some more upclose shots to see if that helps anymore.

floortileexample2.jpg

floortileexample3.jpg

floortileexample4.jpg

hope this helps :)

please critique thanks in advance.
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good but I would say if it is an old mansion like you said, surely it would be all roughed up and messy, a bit broken up, dirt etc? The indents of the floor look super clean. As a base texture I would say this looks pretty awesome, however for what you are going for, you need to dirty it up a bit :).

Hope that helps anyway haha.
  • benj666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @l.croxton thanks man :). Yeah i will be adding dirt and stuff, was just showing it as it is now just incase the normal was off or stuff. Yeah i think i might do another tile of this with broken elements :)!

Thanks man I appreciate the feedback!
  • Oranghe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah i can read this allot better! thanks for updating, aye looking forward to seeing the weathering in but as a base your doing a much better job of the normal / specular!
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orchidface polycounter lvl 7
    don't try to make furniture that lends itself well to normal maps. Boxes are incredibly uninteresting. Pick stuff with awesome silhouettes! polygons are people too! Use them!
  • benj666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @oranghe thanks :) yeah I learned alot from it last time. trying to find the fine lines between each material and how much spec and normal to have takes skill, and its one I want to learn.

@Orchidface Thank for the feedback. Unfortunately I'm pretty stupid and dont fully understand what you are saying. Can you please elaborate? thanks though! :) I appreciate it
  • benj666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just another quick update.

Here are some ref images from The Woman In Black. As this film was my inspiration for this setting.
    womaninblackref5.jpg

womaninblackref4.jpg

womaninblackref3.jpg

womaninblackref2.jpg

womaninblackref1.jpg

So I am going for a feel where the house has been empty for a while, like hundreds of years or anything. So stuff is gonna be dirty and grungy and some stuff broken yes.
  • benj666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also I've been working on a marble tile, and im wasnt really that sure how to go about it and also I tried adding some damage to another one.

Undamaged
    marbleunbroken1.jpg

Damaged

marblebroken1.jpg

I also added to the previous meshes. I added some ornate pattens to the border mesh.

update.jpg
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    I would get onto blocking out the environment itself, using tileable textures, and the textures that you currently have. Do a quick lighting pass in UDK then review what you have...

Remember you are making a scene ;D not just some props and textures! ;)