Home General Discussion

Michael Bay turning Ninja Turtles into Aliens

Replies

• Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I'm not gonna defend Michael Bay now but isn't the lore of the universe changed with every new series or movie? The cartoon is not like the comics(Splinter is not the same person as Yoshi for instance), the movie changed some things and the newer cartoon series changed Shredder into an alien(!!!!!!).
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness wrote: »
    The characters you all remember are exactly the same, and yes they still act like teenagers.
    I hope not... I don't think they could string a movie together on 15-20 year old teenager "Bill and Ted" "Waynes World" stoner cliches from way back when...

I'll take this:
    4032733046_78c93cf7d6_o.jpg

... over this:
    cowabunga1.jpg

...any day. If cowabunga dude is what fans are fighting for then fans are idiots.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    oXYnary wrote: »
    I bet Peter Laird is kicking himself for selling to Viacom now....

God.. the worst director ever in charge. Its like a nightmare.

Also makes no sense with the "Mutants" in the title.

i have an itch they might remove the mutant part from the title..

i really have no love to give for tmnt, i wasnt aboard that train when i was little and i dont care much for them now.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You do realize I thought MB transformers was horrible? He turned them into a Go-bots mentality. Go-bots came to earth already speaking the same language and looking as they did. MB one upped that with the TF easily capable of reestablishing what vehicles they were by simply scanning it and boom! there goes the dynamite.

Isn't that how Transformers worked in the older comics and cartoons? They scanned for what they thought was a dominant life form in order to try and blend in, and there was no montage of them trying to learn how to speak. In Beast Wars they could even scan different animals in a matter of seconds (including just fossils) to take on their form. At least MB gave things a twist by having our technology be based on theirs in the first place (I think learning languages would be a non-issue too, given that they're a super advanced life form with amazing technology capable of feats we can only dream of, and had the time to sit back and observe things while we used their technology to communicate with each other while sending signals through space).

MB's biggest crime with Transformers is probably robot testicles, those annoying twins, and a spark giving cellphones and vending machines the ability to move and transform (though I wouldn't be surprised if even that last bit popped up at least one point in the original Transformers, those were crazy times).

I don't see the big deal on alien Ninja Turtles either, for reasons kwakkie touched on. Aliens always seemed at place in the series with Dimension X. The Ninja Turtles I grew up with had alien Triceratops (Triceratons), alien vampire Bats and Mosquitos (Wingnut and Screwloose), alien Rock Men, alien Ants, alien Brains... in the 2003 cartoon Shredder was even an alien too if I recall. It's not going to ruin things for me if the Turtles are aliens, or if the mutagen was based on alien technology. It opens up the movie to have elements from the cartoons that the live action movies have never had before.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    http://youtu.be/a0WaHZJom0o

Uhg to this idea but It's another movie, If its fail I hope they realize this guy shouldn't make any more remakes.
    :'(
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    From Mr. Bay, specifically about how the title is now "Ninja Turtles":

"Paramount marketing changed the name. They made the title simple. The characters you all remember are exactly the same, and yes they still act like teenagers. Everything you remember, why you liked the characters, is in the movie. This script is being developed by two very smart writers, with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles. They care VERY MUCH about making this film for the fans. Everyone on this team cares about the fans. Just give them a chance. Jonathan the director, is a major fan of the whole franchise. HE'S NOT GOING TO LET YOU DOWN.

MICHAEL"

I want to believe. Honestly, I thought the first Transformers movie was perfect for what it needed to be, largely because of Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman being huge fans and fighting for certain things. Lets hope Bay has a similar team working on this.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    The first Transformers is only perfect, if you take out any scene with the parents (except maybe when they buy bumblebee), and any scene that has John Turturro.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    The first Transformers is only perfect, if you take out any scene with the parents (except maybe when they buy bumblebee), and any scene that has John Turturro.

True. I guess I mean I thought it was as good as could be in taking a franchise like Tfs and finding a way to reach a mainstream audience while not betraying the roots. There are a lot of things in that flick that are necessary evils for a big blockbuster that is trying to reach as many people as possible, but overall I thought they found a nice balance.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fun factoid: The guy that plays the douchebag boyfriend in the first Transformers plays the same douchebag boyfriend in the Friday the 13th remake. And he gets killllled :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Jonathan the director, is a major fan of the whole franchise. HE'S NOT GOING TO LET YOU DOWN.
    Ok, so let's see what this "Jonothan" has directed in the past...

Jonathan Liebesman
    Darkness Falls
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning
    The Killing Room
    Battle: Los Angeles
    Wrath of the Titans

Hmm. Those aren't good films, but its a bit of a step up from Transformers. Then again anything is a step up from Transformers. With the probably exception of Wrath of the Titans, they're all fairly gritty which could bode well for the possibility of a Ninja Turtles film with a tone closer to the comics.

It would appear that Kevin Eastmen is involved with the writing in some capacity too. Reading the Wikipedia page gave me slightly more hope for this not being a complete write-off.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_Turtles_%282013_film%29
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    You should read Lairds blog about it. He tells people to cool down, but pretty much hints how much doubt he has.

Don't get me wrong, I like Eastman and I like the ideas they are doing on the reboot of the comic right now. But at the same time, he gave us.. Heavy Metal II. In which the game was ssooooooo much better.

He also sold his half to Laird long ago (and later Laird sold to Viacom). So his real ability to give good input will be limited at best.

So now I see how they are getting away from the "Mutant" bit with Ninja Turtles. With the rumor being put they are from an alternate dimension (so Aliens).

Again. I say it.

HOWARD. THE. DUCK.

No one can give excuses for this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o7KRKWkCoE&feature=related"]Howard the Duck: Diner scene - YouTube[/ame]
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Jonathan Liebesman

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning

Battle: Los Angeles

Well, I thought TX Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning was the Chainsaw Massacre movie that fans of the series had been waiting years for. And Battle: Los Angeles was certainly not an original film at all, but was at least entertaining.

It's hard to judge sometimes. As much as people trash the first two Transformers films, the same writers wrote the J.J. Abrams remake of Star Trek.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    http://movies.ign.com/articles/122/1222789p1.html
    After much speculation and fan rage, it looks like Kid Cudi of all people has just revealed what might -- just might -- be the first piece of concept art from Michael Bay's upcoming Ninja Turtles reboot.

tmntconceptkidcudi_1334179095.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    There's an awful lot of speculation going on there. I don't think I'd take anything from that article until there's something approaching an iota of evidence that this is the art direction that they're following.

Rather nice picture though, regardless.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Teenage Alien Ork Waaagh?

I would be ok with this.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    ^^ I'd watch it...
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    Cover+55.jpg

transformers had such dignity before bay got involeved in is rich lore.

the majority of tmnt has beeen terrible. and the feel of it has changed a lot over the years. the tmnt movie we all love had a completely different feeling than the original comics (not the archie comics ones)

i dont care how he changes things around, its a movie about turtles.

that said, i'm sure the movie will be terrible, i think he is not a good filmaker. but changing things around. who cares really.
  • slipsius
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    It's just delayed until they get the script worked out. I got excited too, when I read the titles earlier. BUT, hopefully the story rewrite, is them figuring out how to make them fucking turtles!

Also, remember earlier on, when they said the script was written, and even the hardcore fans would like it? Guess it wasn't at written as they had claimed ;)