Home General Discussion

The Polycount Art Project (ATTENTION: Lurkers, Professionals and Students)

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Polycount Art Project (PAP)

I've wanted to do something like this now for a while - a project where people from Polycount contribute to an art project. I won't give project ideas away just yet, because I'm really just interested in gauging reactions to such an idea.

We've had an un-Official project going on for a while now but this would be something different, and more official.

So before I explain the actual idea, I'd like to put out my thoughts on how this art project development would work and I'd like to hear your guys' opinion on the matter.
  • This idea would not be open to anyone and everyone at Polycount. There would be a portfolio review/application process to the idea itself. Why? Read on...
  • This would be a 100% transparent experiment by professionals or highly talented artists.
  • Anyone involved would agree to document their process along the way. Part of their agreement to help would be to spend one hour a week answering all questions posted in their threads, while the rest of the time is dedicated to creating the artwork needed for the project.
  • This project would be for a small team of artists: 8 Max.
  • We would release the end result, for free, in an entire PAP Package: The files needed to experience the 'game/art project', all documented images, threads, and so on. Any concepts, references or private conversations about the project.
  • In my downtime from administrating Polycount (I'm having my first-born in a month) I would be managing this project. And managing is really only making sure we have what we need to succeed and produce the package in the end.

So, in a nutshell, I'm looking to organize an art project that is contributed to by some of Polycount's best, with the end goal being a completely transparent development process and a package others may learn from along the way.

Example (and I haven't spoken to any of these guys so this is really just hypothetical): Myself, Virtuosic, Kevin Johnston, Hazardous, Jordan Walker, Snefer and Swizzle collaborate on an official Polycount Art Project that is a complete development: Environments, characters, FX and technical achievements. All documented and out in the open.

I suspect many won't like this idea because of the fact it would be limited to who can participate - which breaks the notion of a community - but I reckon that if the purpose of such a thing is that an entire community would learn from a focused effort, I think that makes this OK.

So, what say you Polycount?

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Sounds pretty awesome to me. Seems like a bitch to manage though.

I'd love to watch the livestream of some of the Artists working.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I'll fire you off an e-mail in a few hours when I'm back from work (I won't be contributing directly to the pack, mind).
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    I think it'd be fascinating, even if only half a dozen people are working on it, seeing all the cool stuff that comes out of it (and more importantly the stuff that's going in) would be great.

The only hypothetical reason I can see why this wouldn't be a good thing is if you can't find a group of people who actually want to work on it, which I can't believe will happen.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Sounds sweet. I think it would be a great opportunity to learn from a large project like this.
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    I think it's a great idea. Most people arrive at polycount wanting to learn and discover new things, and watching/reading how polycount's best do their thing is probably one of the best ways to go about it, ESPECIALLY with all the documentation that will be provided.

Fire away I say, I'll be following it for sure!
  • Digital Cantina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Digital Cantina polycounter lvl 11
    Sounds great! I'm very conflicted though as I know I wont be able to participate but it'll also be cool to see the documentation on it from concept to modeling uving and sculpting.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The 'bitch to manage' part, I am hoping, would be negated by the fact its experienced people who - and I'm just lacking a better term here - wouldn't need their hands held throughout the entire process.
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tigerfeet polycounter lvl 12
    Instead of referring to this as a community project perhaps it would have been better to contact the artists you wanted to contribute directly? Or else not named names. I'm sorry if I come off as rude but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when you first talk about a community project with applications and then turn around and say that here are the artists you would like on the project. I don't have a problem with applications and a limited team, but it's like you started out by saying this is a project to get the community involved and finished by saying this is a project I only want the elite to contribute to and then we'll give the results to the community.

That said, the documentation produced by a project like this would be invaluable! I am VERY interested in seeing what a project like this could produce and all the steps along the way.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, I was first "yes! cool!" until I got down to the 8 people limit, and elite only. I was hoping it was a bit more wide project, this just seem a bit more a core polycount people project. :(
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Sounds like a kick ass idea! I would definitely follow a project like this. It would almost be better than sitting next to the artist and learning from them. In fact, it may even be better than that. We get the files, their thoughts, concepts, discussion, etc... very cool. I could definitely see this as a great learning experience for a lot of us.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pretty sure he said they were hypothetical examples and not people he's contacted.

I like the idea of a community project in the sense that while it's mostly the best of the best participating, the rest of us would get to watch and learn. and where else would you get to see a joint effort from such a group of badass artists?
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Damn. Amazing idea. Do it :) I really think we could all learn way more that way.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    If you read everything I wrote, it was an example of people. Not people I am thinking of specifically. I literally sat there and put down the first names that came to mind when I thought of 'technical, sculpting, character, environment, texturing...'

I went back and checked to make sure, but I never referred to this as a 'community project' but rather it would be created by people renown for their contributions and skillset here at Polycount.

An open "anyone can contribute" is already out there (I linked to it in my OP) so if thats something you'd like you're more than welcome to contribute there. A limited approach to people contributing is beneficial in a couple of ways:
    1. Ease in managing content going in/coming out
    2. We'd have the right amount of people for each individual aspect to the project. There would be no need for 'filler' work since we wouldn't have an overage of skillsets.

This is really an idea of getting people together others can learn from - and people others will learn from are people who've been in a production environment or show that they are innovators in our industry.

Someone somewhere once said that surrounding yourself by people who are better than you is one of the best ways to learn. The PAP would be an idea put together based on that notion.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    When it comes down to it, it has to be the elite only. Too often have I seen community projects like these die because of different skill levels, lack of enthusiasm etc

I'll be very interested in seeing how this turns out, if it even gets off the boat.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I think it's a great idea. I wouldn't be a "participant", but I don't see how I can sit here as an artist and be opposed to a free reservoir of information as awesome as this could be.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Sounds like a great idea. The more insight we get on the development the better.

What duration were you thinking more or less for the project? Just curious.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I would propose the idea of soft deadlines. There can't be an expectation of hard deadlines when everyone involved is doing it in their spare time without payment. 'We should aim to have this wave ready by X date, 2012.' Something like that.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    This would be awesome! I would definitely follow this!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I have no idea how the application process would work. Right now I am waiting to hear from all aspects of our community before even thinking that far ahead.
  • UNCCheezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UNCCheezy polycounter lvl 10
    would be really cool. Would also give people who are good without a job a chance to network with some pros.

(and by network, I mean work side by side.)
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The idea sounds amazing, too bad I'm not experienced enough to contribute to this.

On the other hand I'm realy looking forward to this, if I understand it right this sounds like you could learn much from it, even though I have the feeling that I don't understand this project entirely. Maybe I should just read it another 3 times. ^^
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    What about forming a couple of different teams of varying skill levels?

But I guess maybe that would shift too much into a mentoring style project...
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, sorry about that, Adam, I was just exciting by the idea of a big community project, which I thought the thread was about. It would of course be interesting to see how others work, but I was more interested in doing stuff then watching, and thought that this were the thing, which triggered my reaction.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    McGreed wrote: »
    Yeah, sorry about that, Adam, I was just exciting by the idea of a big community project, which I thought the thread was about. It would of course be interesting to see how others work, but I was more interested in doing stuff then watching, and thought that this were the thing, which triggered my reaction.

no one stops you from doing your own group project :)
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    no one stops you from doing your own group project :)

Yeah but it wouldn't be THE Polycount Project. :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It would be an awesome community project, can't wait to see what you guys pull of and the documentation, I always love seeing Snefer and Virtuosic magic, it'd be great to see something in a large complete project.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    great idea
    having a complete documentation for all this stuff would help so much
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Yeah, it sounds like a great idea, the biggest problem I see with it is getting it off the ground, but otherwise it sound pretty doable and awesome : ))
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    adam wrote: »
    Example (and I haven't spoken to any of these guys so this is really just hypothetical): Myself, Virtuosic, Kevin Johnston, Hazardous, Jordan Walker, Snefer and Swizzle

I got that far and I was like "wut." I'm pretty sure you've included me in a list that I don't belong in.

Regardless, I'm interested in participating, though I'm a little hazy on the details of what this art project might be. From the sound of things, it'd end up being something like a tech demo once everything's said and done.

Is this something you'd like to make interactive in addition to being a large art project? I'm sure it'd be possible to do something like set up a level in Unity or UDK that people could fly around in and then delve into the project files afterwards.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The most I could see the project being is a UDK arena shooter map with character replacements, unless you guys got a coder/scripter.
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wretchedgoat polycounter lvl 8
    Seeing a level be made with the full range of assets would be a great educational experience. Maybe like what Epic did with Epic citadel but populated with NPCs
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    fkn awesome! i agree, would be hard to get this off the ground.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I think it's a great idea, but these things always sound far better on paper than they end up being in reality. With all due respect, I don't think restricting it to the 'professionals' will do anything for ensuring shit gets done.

I mean, I don't want to call people out here but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's gotten more than a little excited after seeing [insert badass artist name here] start a new thread, get everyone hyped, only to see one or two posts and then nothing more... ever.

How many times have we seen top end artists go into a comp saying 'I will finish this time. LOL'.

Of course, that's completely understandable since these guys are busy, and for whatever reason may not get the chance to finish stuff up or follow it through.

Having said that, there are plenty of examples of great work that does get finished so I suppose it could go either way.

Also, I can't help but feel the name could do with changing.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    But I guess maybe that would shift too much into a mentoring style project...

Yeah, I wouldn't want it to become a hand holding project. However...
    What about forming a couple of different teams of varying skill levels?

...I really like this idea. There's a lot of pitfalls to it though.

Hand-holding
    Laziness
    Busyness
    Lack of clear direction
    Etc.

Whatever is done has to be done to no consequence, as little as that makes your contribution feel. That way if someone doesn't do their work, it doesn't matter. I think I may have a solution though?

The project is to build one multiplayer map for TF2 or Unreal, but the map will be split into four sections/bases. Each base will be a team. Each team is tasked with filling out their base.

The small team of professional Adam is talking about could start this level off as a whole and then pass it off to us? That way we kind of get a feel for an art direction and design, which a lot of new people like myself struggle with. Then the pro team get's divided up and oversees the smaller teams (critique, direction)? Or, alternatively, we could hand it off to Adam's team and then they have to blend it all together somehow. That would be interesting/hilarious to see.

Just an idea. I'd be satisfied with this being kept simple, as Adam outlined, and my idea dismissed, but it's a slow work day and thought I'd brainstorm a little. :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I could see mini contests for the project, like the group saying we need some basic props like fire hydrants, telephone poles, etc etc, best entry submitted in a week gets the asset in the final project.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like an allstar draft :)
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I actually like the idea of a techdemo level demonstrating all kinds of techniques to take apart. Things such as:

Lighting and Composition
    Complex Shaders
    New techniques like Flow Maps

Basically it'd be like the Unreal tech demo. I've delved with UDK for a while now and I really tried to get into Cryengine but I didn't find it as user friendly as UDK. It might be beneficial if you made something in an engine that a lot of people need to improve upon. Perhaps a public vote once you've decided a direction on what you want to do.

/2cents
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Although a lot of people will want to participate, I think for the greater good of the project, a lot of folks would have to check their egos at the door and accept that managing multiple teams would be a nightmare. Plus, given the shared learning goals of the project, I'd rather learn from the best to avoid conflicting information, as is so often the case with projects with too many cooks.

Not everyone gets to play in the Super Bowl, but we all get to watch the game, right?*

Personally, I'd rather see a select few of the best artists agree to actually do it, than have the idea fall to pieces because everyone wanted to play. Imagine how awesome the finished package could be - I say let Adam and the 'elite' handle it as they see fit so we actually get to see the finished product.

*I'm not great with sporting metaphors.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    opinion aside, historically speaking, you've done this before (start a thread like this) and then forget about it a week later. So I'm not sure if you're ever serious or a deeply embedded troll. I'd focus on tested material, such as challenges people enjoy doing so much.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    cholden wrote: »
    opinion aside, historically speaking, you've done this before (start a thread like this) and then forget about it a week later. So I'm not sure if you're ever serious or a deeply embedded troll. I'd focus on tested material, such as challenges people enjoy doing so much.

+1

I like the idea as well but we have talked about this for ages now. Nothing ever comes of it.... :(
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I think Dustin has a legitimate point about this. Why actually directly connect it to Polycount at all?

I can think of a couple of reasons to if you really want this to be an official Polycount thing, but I think the biggest and most important one would be that you'd be sharing things directly through Polycount. That is, you finish assets and then at the end of the project you provide all those assets for download and learning purposes directly through Polycount. Attached to those assets could be detailed information on how they're used and the techniques used to construct them.

Essentially, it'd become a giant tutorial set with included project files.

I'm really not certain how doable this is, though, because people are busy and there are limits to altruism.

EDIT: Another +1 to cholden's post.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    +1 to crushing people's hopes and dreams.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Looks cool!

:)

Totally think its do-able.
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tigerfeet polycounter lvl 12
    I think I put myself badly, and I'm sorry. Am I right in thinking you want this to be a public project, where everything is done publicly for the purposes of allowing less experienced artists to learn by observation? If that's the case then I think this is a really nice idea and it's similar to what people are asking for in Hazardous's post offering character art training.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    I would totally love to watch an environment group project take shape, One of the guys from Naughty Dog came and did a long lecture here recently and i learnt a toonnnaaaggee from that so this would be <3

Gives people a clear indication of whats hot in the industry as well!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    cholden wrote: »

Totally a fair thing to say but I never forget about my ideas. I was pretty transparent with my goal with this thread: Propose an idea then read peoples responses. From there you'd either hear more of it down the line or not - depending on what was mentioned. If you don't hear about it again in a week, its because the idea is dead and I've moved on (just like other threads have in the past). There's other people on our team who focus on tested materials, I'm interested in doing new things for the time being.

[Clipped] Too much talking, let me get to the point a little faster.

Agreed, I could have just gathered people together and we could have posted our progress. I like the idea of making it official or tying it Polycount simply so we can use it, officially, to launch it when its done to the rest of the 3D art community. For free. If we knock this idea out of the park and its a success*, then I would think this would make for a great annual exercise at Polycount: A new team, a new project idea, a new package.

*Success, to me, is a stellar art project/experience that everyone witnessing it has learned something along the way while admiring the end result.
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    I'd also be happy just seeing more of this.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Character Artists don't really work day to day with Environment Artists in that capacity. Usually us Character guys work closely with Animators, and Tech Artists/Tech Animators.

I find that Environment guys tend to stick closely with Level designers and Tech Artists (Or Render coders).

In fact, I'd imagine that cross-disciplinary collaborations would be more with Animators than with Environment guys (although we do delve in to props from time to time).

How exactly do you feel this collaboration would work?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, congrats on the baby news! :D looking forward to seeing what comes out of this project.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    How exactly do you feel this collaboration would work?

We'd have a project goal in mind: "This is what we're going to finish and release."

Amongst the varied disciplines of the people involved, the work would be divvied up based on who would like to work on what or where they think they'd best fit.

Each discipline would have its own thread (E.g. PAP - Project Name - Environments) that the proper contributors would update to.

There'd be an "Overall" thread that I could update weekly with progress, build shots, and so on.

Ideally, if this goes well, I could see this being a great annual thing for Polycount where the team is different every year.