Replies

• Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If we're going purely by recent history I'd probably agree. Of all time though? What a joke.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    WHAT THE FUCK ARE STEVE JOBS AND MARK ZUCKERBERG DOING ON THAT GOD DAMN LIST GODFUCKDAMNSHITPISSTITSMUNCHASSFUCKFUCKTITSGRAARR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    ZacD wrote: »
    WHAT THE FUCK ARE STEVE JOBS AND MARK ZUCKERBERG DOING ON THAT GOD DAMN LIST GODFUCKDAMNSHITPISSTITSMUNCHASSFUCKFUCKTITSGRAARR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iPhone and Facebook games. While you may not like it they have recently attracted a huge group of people that previously would never have played video games. I'm personally not sure they belong on that list but you can't deny that over the last few years they've had a huge impact in casual gaming.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    so what we're saying here, is that the inventor of the oven should be named the most influencial chef of all time, even if they never actually cooked anything?
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Myst and the Mac Performa. That's the only connecting "influence" I can think of.

Maybe Oregon Trail on Apple ][s too

BUT NOT ANGRY BIRDS AND THE IPHONE
    Ryswick wrote: »
    Who's Carmack?
    a man that cant porgram games and loevs the 360. he hates pc see: rage where its broken 100%</idiot>
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so what we're saying here, is that the inventor of the oven should be named the most influencial chef of all time, even if they never actually cooked anything?

Basically, yeah.
  • Dn2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
    Ryswick wrote: »
    Who's Carmack?
    ^this
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I'm guessing that these 1,000 gaming-industry executives are common facebook users that aren't that into games, the NES isn't even on the list.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Gabe? Really? He might run a great company... but "Top five people to have shaped video games.." I don't think so.

Tim Sweeny deserves to be on that list along with Carmack.

Edit.. don't forget Warren Spector either. Guy is a genius.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    i'd say the only influential person working at Valve is a man named Robin Walker.

Because, back in 1996, that class based teamy thing was a hell of an influence. He deserves a lot more credit for influence than Gabe Newell, and i'm not even counting TFC or TF2.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Well that's not fucking retarded at all.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fucking ridiculous.

If they want to say that Stove Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg were hugely influential for creating platforms for games, then they might as well add the inventor of the television and the PC as well.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can someone please summarize it, I can't see the article past my shitty facebook games and crappy app store purchases... oh wait no... its not me who's blinded by that shit...
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Huh. No mention of Sid Meier or Will Wright. Guess Civilization and Sim City just weren't as influential for the past 20 years as Mafia Wars.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    TLDR; I wish lists like these backed their choices with descriptions as to what and why the ranked in their positions.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's Jethro Tull winning the Grammy for Metal all over again!
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    i thought John Romero would be up there but no...
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhnN54tHjkI&quot;]Farnsworth has had enough. - YouTube[/ame]

I respect Jobs for his influence on mobile media devices, but that list is a load of bollocks.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Steve looked down on the gaming community from what I recall hazily (not sure, but I'm sure that gaming wasn't his goal for his platform), and Mark didn't do anything other then to set up a platform from where people made rip-off games run on budget.

Carmack led the entire graphics/gameplay dichotomy.
    Gabe showed that there is nothing wrong with SP games.
    Shigeru Miyamoto made our childhood hero.
    Sid amped up the the meaning of Deity' games.
    Peter started the entire 'Good vs. Evil' paths a player could choose.

This is so much crap, why are two individuals who never even acknowledged or commented about the 'gaming' platform and how it could be improved getting credit? I honestly hope people who answered this so called questionnaire are mainly Facebook users with the lifestyle of a gnat, because it's pretty shocking that someone as famous as Mario, or hell, even Angry Birds creators didn't get the top few spots.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I loved that Apple ended up essentially accidentally changing and influencing the gaming industry to a fucking insane degree. And yet all those times when they claimed they were going to change gaming with their Mac events and announcements it didn't really change a thing.

Also... do note that any of these lists always contain the latest and coolest things. It's like when you see those "Greatest Album" lists, and you see the regulars fill up their positions and then always some random new album. Just whatever was popular that year.

Not that I'm saying that I don't think Steve and the iPhone don't deserve a place. But maybe in a few years (decades) people will be more level headed about it.

EDIT: Wait, where's the PlayStation Vita?! That thing is sure to rock the industry, get it on there now in advance. :poly125:
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    The problem here is the use of the word influential...its very vague really. These guys learned how to make lots of money from games. They didn't influence gaming as a culture, movement or technology... but they certainly did as an industry. They figured out how to monetize it really well..which in turn had some residual impacts on gaming.

If you ask money guys who has had the biggest influence on gaming, of course they will answer the guys who changed how we make money from games the most. They are being completely ignorant of all the other facets of gaming....not surprising.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HaTeRs GoNnA Ha†E XoXo
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I think the list is rather meaningless. Replacing Solitaire with Farm-ville is not that big of an influence in gaming. Executives like how it earns money though, obviously.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    to quote our dear carmack, who obviously did not influence gaming in a single noteworthy way:
    The truth is Steve Jobs doesn't care about games. This is going to be one of those things that I say something in an interview and it gets fed back to him and I'm on his s***head list for a while on that, until he needs me to do something else there. But I think that that's my general opinion. He's not a gamer. It's difficult to ask somebody to get behind something they don't really believe in. I mean obviously he believes in the music and the iTunes and that whole side of things, and the media side of things, and he gets it and he pushes it and they do wonderful things with that, but he's not a gamer. That's just the bottom line about it.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These lists are always wrong and nobody agrees with them - but they accomplish their job which is to get a link passed around, lots of clicks, and ad revenue. A list that was accurate that nobody took issue with wouldn't be worth writing.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    My similar recent favourite list was '30 under 30' 2011 for Video Game Development - supposedly acknowledgement of 'game developments most prominant rising stars'.

Not a single actual developer made that list with the exception of one producer - it was almost exclusively marketing, PR and journalists.

The 2010 list was pretty good, however.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    The iphone shaped video gaming....wtf. Thats just a llist of the top things that made RECENT gaming more accessible. But they didn't "shape" video gaming

Next list would be greatest game of all time
    1. angry birds
    2. Zinga poker
    3. Farmville
    4. Tetris
    5. The sims
    honourable mention = Doom

Both lists are bullcrap!

Wheres the NES, The amiga, Gameboy, The Binatone, Atari 2600, ZXspectrum, BBC basic, C++, etc

p.s. I hate list that aren't my lists!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14

Exactly..
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    That is the worst list Ive ever seen....

How about bushnell? and Mark Z? Did he ever create a game, or just create the platform that let people place their games on? All those facebook games could easily be on a different website.
  • Canti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THe iphone is an over priced toy for Hipster teenage girls who cant use the oh so complicated yet extremely simple UI of an Android phone.How did it make that list?!?! Id put Monopoly before that thing. The DS's and PSP's or GBA are the ones that shaped gaming on the go because there made for gaming on the go not a perverted auto correcting defect device rigged to shatter with one drop

The Wii doesn't really belong in second on the second list either the 64 and GC are still better. In many ways for me <3

Who's ever opinion they asked when making the list probably just blerted out Jobs, without second though because of his passing.

Nintendo and Sony and every team that had games developed under there consoles had a big impact on shaping gaming in my life. Theres no saying any exact names because it takes a team to bring epic to the table.
  • Julmust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By the logic of that article, Barack Obama has most influence over games.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    lol, bullshit!

Steve jobs never cared for games, it was pure luck that iphone ended up being very famous for games.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, you can't deny that the iPhone completely revolutionized the cell phone gaming market.

This was a list compiled by game industry executives they don't care about people who made eye bleeding graphics that appealed to the niche hardcore gaming market - they care about expanding into untapped markets and making money.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    MIYAMOTO should be TOP! what ze FRUCK!?
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    they're the considered conclusions of 1,000 gaming-industry executives surveyed in the run-up to next week's London Games Conference.

well well well ....

easy ...,

don't vote your competitor ....
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THe iphone is an over priced toy for Hipster teenage girls who cant use the oh so complicated yet extremely simple UI of an Android phone.How did it make that list?!?!
    The differences between an iPhone and an Android phone are paper thin at best. I'm not sure what this is about other than misdirected Apple rage.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Android was created to compete with the iPhone - if it didn't exist we'd still be using some evolution of the Motorola Razr
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The list doesn't ask who's the most influencial developer so your chef analogy doesn't quite fit. It's more like saying the inventor of the oven is the most influencial person in cooking. Except oven is a bit generous, probably more like the George Foreman Grill.

Regardless of what he thought of games (you don't need to be doing shit intentionally to have an impact) the fact is that the iphone/itunes opened up a new market to developers and helped rebirth indie game dev. It's effects on the gaming industry have been undeniable.

I agree it's kind of retarded to reward a platform because you could probably just keep retracing shit all the way back to the discovery of electricity or even further than that if you wanted. But if that's the metric we're going by then steam is just a distribution platform like iTunes, you could easily argue that had no impact on the gaming industry either when we all know full well it has.

Edit: Also I'm pretty sure the list would have come out radically different if they had asked actual develoeprs and not "industry execs"
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Well it created a whole category of cooking, of coarse the earliest oven is from 29,000 BC so we don't know who invented it.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Well, you can't deny that the iPhone completely revolutionized the cell phone gaming market.

There you have it, that's the award that should have been given out, and not to jobs himself, but whoever pushed for games on iphone when jobs himself probably wasn't into the whole idea of the iphone being a games console at first.

There are so many developers, so many brilliant people that with games pushed hardware-developers to push hardware further, developers that completely influenced how the hardware that now is in the iphone and similar devices developed.

There would be a games industry without the iphone, but without these developers and the hardware that was made for gaming, there wouldn't have been an iphone.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's just a list you guys...
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Seriously.
    Middle school girls make lists of the hottest boy in school.
    I see this no differently.
  • Julmust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

No, it's not just a list. It's public perception of what games are, what games have been and what games can be. It's about people reading this and taking it for fact. It's also giving Steve Jobs supernatural, saint like proportions.. Which to be honest, is not true -- Oh the man who didn't do jack shit for games, didn't care or foster any form of gaming entertainment on his hugely successful platforms all of a sudden turned into gaming messiah? Give me a break.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    This is the first Time I've ever seen a thread on Steve Jobs NOT turn into a Mac vs PC debate.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    This is the first Time I've ever seen a thread on Steve Jobs NOT turn into a Mac vs PC debate.

Because even this list couldn't bring the mac up there as a gaming platform ;)
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Julmust wrote: »
    No, it's not just a list. It's public perception of what games are, what games have been and what games can be. It's about people reading this and taking it for fact. It's also giving Steve Jobs supernatural, saint like proportions.. Which to be honest, is not true -- Oh the man who didn't do jack shit for games, didn't care or foster any form of gaming entertainment on his hugely successful platforms all of a sudden turned into gaming messiah? Give me a break.

it's just a list.

take a deep breath and walk away.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Skankers right. Move on and go get your panties in a bunch over things that matter. Like people who use anything but mustard as their condiment on sandwiches.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "It's just a list" is not really true. It's really a window into how a specific segment of the population views gaming. That's pretty valuable information to anyone interested in how gaming is perceived or the condition of the industry they work in.