Home General Discussion

Steve Jobs named most influential game guy

Replies

• Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "It's just a list" is not really true. It's really a window into how a specific segment of the population views gaming. That's pretty valuable information to anyone interested in how gaming is perceived or the condition of the industry they work in.
    Seriously this teaches us incredibly valuable and never before understood ideas about human behavior such as:

Peoples urge to draw short sighted conclusions
    Letting current events color our perception of things
    That public opinion is completely warped

These aren't ubiquitous concepts at all.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Nonsense, since when does apple have a computer that can play games? :P

From personal experience i would include these in my top 5 for sure:
    Shigeru Miyamoto, Ken and Roberta Williams, John Carmack
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bibendum wrote: »
    Seriously this teaches us incredibly valuable and never before understood ideas about human behavior such as:

Peoples urge to draw short sighted conclusions
    Letting current events color our perception of things
    That public opinion is completely warped

These aren't ubiquitous concepts at all.

exactly.

especially since I'm pretty sure Steve Jobs HIMSELF didn't have anything to do with the development of the iphone or their digital distribution method. He was just the face of the company and at most led the overall vision of the company. The credit goes to the design team and engineering team that actually made the phone a reality.

So yes, 'boo hoo' he made the top. It's just a list.
    Millions of lists like these exist. All are subjective.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    adam wrote: »
    Skankers right. Move on and go get your panties in a bunch over things that matter. Like people who use anything but mustard as their condiment on sandwiches.

BRANSTON PICKLE !!!
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13

especially since I'm pretty sure Steve Jobs HIMSELF didn't have anything to do with the development of the iphone or their digital distribution method. He was just the face of the company and at most led the overall vision of the company. The credit goes to the design team and engineering team that actually made the phone a reality.

I think this is what annoys people the most. It's not the first time it happens though, George Lucas has gotten a lot of credit for making outstanding special effects, a lot of kings(who just sat on their fat asses) have gotten praise for being great warriors and so on.
    It's a short-sighted perception by people who have no knowledge of the industry and it happens all the time. No point in getting angry about this, I'm sure many of us guys make similar mistakes about other industries.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Using their fucked up existential grounds for what they deem as influential, I'd imagine Plato and Aristotle might have a lot more to do with games than Steve Jobs.

We should make our own list.

I vote we put Socretes, and Stephen King at the top.
    Wayne Gretzky, Bruce Willis, and L.Ron Hubbard will be next.