Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK - Handball Stadium

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
Sharvo keyframe
Hello all,

I have been working on this for a while now and decided to put my progress on here to show you. My methods from maya to udk and my planning are not the best, but i am getting somewhere.

I have recently finished a contract at Rare as a marketing artist and loved the stadiums the environment guys were doing, so i decided to create my own one. The style is suppose to be a bit cartoony but realistic if that makes sense, like those aliens from Space Jam the film, if they were playing handball.

Realsied these images are pretty broad and dont show specific assets, will try and get a few soon and explain bits at some point.

So let me know any thoughts that you may have and be harsh if something doesnt make sense tell me :)

Anyway some images taken from udk, guess the colour scheme!

handball_002.pnghandball_003.pnghandball_001.png

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    WHAT IS HANDBALL!!!

looks nice tho
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    it's looking really nice, but damn this giant step around the playfield looks like some bones are going to be broken :O
    are there really handball fields where something like that is going on?
  • Oiban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oiban polycounter lvl 6
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    WHAT IS HANDBALL!!!

looks nice tho

An awesome sport!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0S5JBIR6Lw&feature=related"]Handball best of - YouTube[/ame]

The field looks nice, though the step to get into the field as Sharvo comments looks a little bit wierd.

cheers!
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    As the video shows awesome sport, not that i have ever played it... But just thought most sports have already been done before in games so, i wantd Handball to get a bit of the glory! lol.

Cheer for the step on to the court never really thought about it, but have now lowered it, have also started on the second tier of seats as you can see in the images. Getting some weird shader, lighting artifacts, but i know how to resolve that. After the second tier will start working on the roof its going to be open to the sky and stars this stadium.

Have also played around with some post processing but not sure on it, let me know what you think. Got an interview this afternoon so wont be doing much updates today and helping my cousin with an iphone game, so its all busy at the moment.stadium3.png
    stadium2.png
    stadium.png
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Not much more to add really at the moment... Just been tweaking materials mainly, Uvs and adding a few props here and there mainly an officals table and advertising boards. But, enjoying the progress i am making when i have the time to do it. Any feedback would be gratly appreciated :)

Even after tweaking some uvs i am having some lightmap errors i believe, but should be able to resolve it. Next will be the roof, which i have some ideas for on paper, just need to implement it, then a bit of a polish.

The lower ceiling is very dark and will put some subtle lighting there and a nice lil shader.

I have toned down the post processing as well.

stadium3.png
    stadium1.png

stadium2.png
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Back again, got a week now till i start me new job in the South East of England, which i am very excited about and cant wait to start. Which gives me a bit of time to work on this project a bit, still helping my cousin with his iPhone game, which i will get done by the end of next week hopefully.

But, i have come to a bit of a struggle with this at the moment i have ideas like adding more props, spotlights and other stuff you would find in a Stadium, but i am just trying to push my materials, lighting and really want to nail down a post process chain that i am happy with.

If you have any ideas where i should take it, let me know! I just feel it looks a bit bland it needs something to spuce it up a bit, going do some research into holograms and stuff like that, i think.

Also not sure bout the sky the image was a bit low res, but let me know if you thought it would be night or day, it was always going to be an open roof thing though! Got some intersection in places but thats an easy fix :)

Cheers!

handball_006.png

handball_005.png

handball_004.png
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    next step.. start scripting a handball gametype. :P

looks awesome. i really love the lighting.
  • Patrick Svensson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Patrick Svensson polycounter lvl 14
    Nice going! First time I see anything for handball!

The things that I see missing on the field is a safty net behind the goal. And maybe, just maybe some field border/posters. Also the seats is a bit big comparing the field?

Played the game? (sport) for many years and just LOVE IT! Bring out some memories then seeing this! Thx! :)
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Hey thanks for the comments late reply, sorry. I got a new job and side projects had to take a step back whilst i started up there.

Have tweaked the lighting and post a bit and looking back at my old images i think i prefer the old one, not sure though.

Oniram - thanks for the input on lighting its an area i really would like to learn more about!!!

Patrick - never played the game but most sports have been dne before so thought i would try this a net is a great idea behind will try and think of a good way of implementing it maybe a hologram sort of thing? I dunno. Glad it brought back good memories.

I had a big list of things that need tweaking but left them at work! Some included lightmaps, populating pitch area, redoing sky texture, background buildings, lights, speakers etc

Anyways.... Biggish Images!!! Let me know your thoughts.

stadium_005.png
    stadium_001.png
    stadium_004.png
    stadium_003.png
    stadium_006.png
    stadium_002.png
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Well thats anoying... Was saving last night and UDK crashed and now when i open the level or autosaves it is telling me it cant find any of the meshes, textures or materials. As they are externally refrenced. It has kept all my lights etc in place!

So have restarted importing everything, it does mean that i am now fine tuning everything one by one when i import it into udk. Still having problems with the skydome though it just looks so blurry so may go for a different approach to the sky.

So anything you may feel looks poor or not up to scratch would be appreciated as i said i am fine tuning bits and bobs.