Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Key of Ethios stuff

Replies

• Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    The shrooms need work, they look unfinished. Put some details onto them =D
    You maybe also should go and define a colorsheme/color keys, right now this doesn't look very harmonic. I think that way you could improve the scene very much.
  • I Like Feet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In your latest pics, the scene looks pretty dark and noisy.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    It's dark 'cause it's early morning in a deep, tree-covered area. Speaking of which, is it the trees that are noisy?

Do you have any suggestions regarding the colors, Fenyce? I can't quite figure out something that works.

As for the shrooms, how about now?
    ElgranShrooms_zpsaf2159e1.png

Also had an idea for a text box design:
    TextBox_zps7aa55cb1.png
    TextBox_zpsea01acc9.png
  • ducckz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ducckz polycounter lvl 6
    i like the mushrooms better now,
    this reminds me so much of Tales Of Vesperia,
    love it
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off, it's not like your colors are bad or so, but I think there's still room for improvement. (Like more harmony)
    (Edit; But like I said, maybe it's just me ;D so don't worry to much.)

It's always a question of which atmosphere you're aiming for... atm it seems to be a mix of a little autumnish (late summer?) (shroomcolor/orange and yellow sky) and mysterious (blue-greenish gras and trees, a little violettish water), like a bewitched forest or something like that?

Anyway, right now it seems like a kinda hidden forest, with not much people coming through.

I'll take some of you're colors and do some colorkeythings....
    I've added it as a thumb. It's not the best, but maybe it helps.
    At least I had fun while creating it, hehe. I could have spent even more time doing it, but there's still other stuff to do =D

Ah, and the watercolor should fit the skycolor a little, since water is reflecting the sky =D

Edit:
    Found some more time:
    Maybe, what disturbes me the most is the really plain looking sky and the water color that has none of the enviromental colors in it (nor skycolor, nor blueish/greenish because of the forest). Aaaaand the fact that the grassblads have a rather diffrent color then the ground. (Which is grass, too, I guess?)
  • Arthur Ramazanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arthur Ramazanov polycounter lvl 12
    are you modeling, texturing, animating, and programming this?
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys. And double thanks to you, Fenyce.

Aurthur: Aye, all by my lonesome.

Fenyce: You're close enough to the mark; it's a rarely-visited part of the Forest, but the sky is that way 'cause it's morning.

I messed around with the water color by just throwing on the sky's texture, which actually looks pretty damn good. Now I'll have to do the same for night and day, then fade between them at the proper times.

Aside from that, I haven't messed with the colors that much. Just some tree stuff.

GranHollow6_zps2656596b.png
    GranHollow5_zpse8e5b7c6.png
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • royalshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    royalshark polycounter lvl 10
    I wasn't so sure about the style when you first began but now I can't get enough of it. The only thing I can say right now in terms of critique is that the textures in the environment sometimes feel a little stretched and it sometimes distracts me from the characters who are definently my favorite thing from this whole project. :) You are incredibly ambitious and I can't wait to see what comes from you next!
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, man. I'll definitely have to fix the texture stretching at some point.

Had an idea about expanding the combat system by replacing the simple, charged heavy attacks with equippable Combat Arts.

Combat Arts are powerful skills that gain strength through use. When they reach a certain point, you'll gain access to a more advanced form (Though the weaker forms are still available). A Combat Art, when equipped, takes up a number of Skill Slots equal to its level if you want to equip more than one.

You start with a single Skill Slot attached to your normal attacks, and can unlock more via increasing your Hero Level (Done by defeating enemies for Hero Points). Once you unlock more than one Slot, you’ll be able to Combo your Combat Arts, as long as you’re able to equip more than one. There are separate Skill Slots for Aerial, Ground, Dodge, and Dash Arts.

If you have more than one Slot and equip multiple Combat Arts, you can perform a Combo. When performing the first Combat Art, press the Attack button with the proper timing to perform the next Art in the Combo. Each successive Art in a Combo is slightly weakened.

You learn new Combat Arts from the person who created it, or by observing powerful enemies.

The stuff you can do as you level up includes:
    -Extra Skill Slots
    -The ability to attack while dodging
    -The ability to attack while dashing
    -The ability to use Combat Arts while airborne
    -Increase the amount of successive dodges you can perform
    -The ability to dodge while airborne
    -Advanced recovery moves

I'm unsure about what to do when you level up, though; should I allow the player to choose an upgrade themselves, or attach certain upgrades to certain levels, like Psychonauts?

Also, combat can be taken a step further by elementally enchanting your weapons. Each element would have a similar function to the ones in games like Sengoku Basara or Koei's Warriors games.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got around to getting the Facebook page up and running. It'll be updated more regularly than this thread.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The texturing on the last piece is great, simple but clear and pretty!
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank'eh, Fenyce!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTZTtvzv3vQ"]Key of Ethios - New Combos - YouTube[/ame]

Gave Ellie and Gil more attacks, and completely redid Van's.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTOxmqvhefE"]Key of Ethios - Van's Chain Grapple - YouTube[/ame]

Progress on one of the functions of Van's Chain Grapple skill. Plenty of stuff left to do with it, but it works pretty well.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHw57REzM4M"]Key of Ethios - Gil's Bull Rush - YouTube[/ame]

'Nother skill added. This time it's Gil's Bull Rush.

Also decided to pick up that TF2 shader from the Unify wiki. I think someone on here made that, but I'm not sure who it was:
    EllieShaderCurrent_zpsab64925a.png[/URL]
    EllieFaceShaders_zps64382abc.png[/URL]
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love her nose and lips <3
    I love those gradients, but I think her hair could use more saturation... it's looking to dark and greyish right now... especially compared to her shiny skin (her belly is drawing a lot of attention to it, because it's sooo bright and shiny there... more then in her face... >.<)
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed up the issues you brought up:
    EllieShaderCurrent2_zps24fcdca8.png

Also, I heart lightbeams:
    GranHOllow8_zps6dc9086b.png
    GranHOllow9_zpsb2e31990.png

I just wish I could figure out how I could get them to not look like they're clipping through stuff.
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now she looks more balanced, but she's standing in some shadow are, right?
    (because now she looks overall very greyish)
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, it's morning in those shots, to the lights are low.

New moon and sun!
    Moon_zps16a6471f.png
    Sun_zpsdb3e1ce2.png

GilApproves2_zps0fbdf354.png

I've also made progress on climbable surfaces and text boxes.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    So you're doing everything by yourself? Really impressive project in terms of scale.

I see a lot of potential but honestly I have to say I do not like the current color palette, or rather the lack of perhaps. Too much saturation everywhere and no clear direction. I don't have any specific suggestions at the moment as I don't know what you're going for but general advice would be to set a palette for each type of environment and keep them very limited so that they stand out from each other. Take advantage of the saturation range in the same way you would with values. Allods Online and WoW are good examples of this. Notice how the different colors in the differrent environments tends towards the same hue, creating unity and ambiance. Forests has brown/greenish, winter has blues etc.

Also any particular reason for going so lores on the textures?
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sun is amazing! Ha ha! But I think the moon could use some more love. Beside I'd love to see it on a nightsky! ;)

Have to agree with AimBiZ.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys!

Aye, I find palettes for environments to be really hard. It's easy enough with a character where there are only a couple of elements that need colors, but environments have so much stuff in them that I really don't know where to start, or how to divvy everything up.
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    its really impressive that your doing all of this.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Ox!

I used the Color Scheme Designer to get a triadic color scheme consisting of green, yellow-orange, and purple. With that, I shifted the red stuff like the cliff walls and the tree bark to a more yellow color, as well as making the little blue mushrooms purple.

Does it look a bit more unified?
    GranPaletteMaybe_zps9dc3849e.png

Also, here's the moon against a darker sky; it's a bit easier to understand:
    Moon_zps31883a1d.png
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick color correction, this is not perfect, but I think more harmonic, while staying close to your colors.

Mainly I did change those very cyanish trees to green ones and changed the shrooms colors a little.

VWYWONd.png
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help, Fenyce; your the best!

I think I've made decent enough progress to release a really early PC demo. It has controller support, though I've only tested it with the Xbox controller.

I've done about all I can with quashing programming bugs, but there are some that caused by Unity itself, which is kind of annoying.

Mainly the stuff involving colliders being wildly inconsistent, like the OnTriggerExit commands never working, or collisions not being detected. There are also a few issues with animation events not triggering, which cause a lot of problems with the combat.

I really can't think of any way to fix these, though. Is there?
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    I tried out your playable, Though currently not alot to it, the game has shaped nicely and since you have a basic playable Im sure now you are working on early game design.

If you dont mind me asking do you have a doc or something written up to explain what your trying to do. You are making art and world with a interesting backstory but without some sort of write up ive been having a hard time following what your trying to do/go for.

considering your a 1 man team doing it all Im probably asking alot , but I want to see this project go further into a full game :)
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome new character! I really love her design! You're getting better and better!

And I remember that I read somewhere, that there's a forest that's as old as the world itself? Really nice idea, I love that. But if it's that one posted on top of this page, I'd go other it design a little and give it a little more of a special feeling... like some really big tree (like Yggdrasil) or some magic feeling, at the moment it looks like a really simple forest.

Something that might could underline that "very old"-feeling: Old stone circle stuff, ruins, big and old trees, magic stuff (crystals, glowing flowers or glowing tree/stone encarvments), a lot of moss or ivy.... Something like that.

I'd love to play that demo, but right now I don't have a rar zipper, he he... And I somehow dislike winrar. Maybe I'll give you some detailed feedback on a later demo version =D

EDIT:

Did google and thought I'd post some inspiration:

l.jpg
    yggdrasil_ii_by_blinck-d566uc6.jpg

enchanted_lake_by_blinck-d4ofok3.jpg

blue_forest_by_coconutmilkyway-d5vewj3.jpg

e656eb05d20c24666d03a25ee0ffb234.jpg

forest_by_HeavenlyDeamonic.jpg

forest_night_by_vianreps-d5iy2zt.jpg

Maybe you'll see something inspiring ;D
    I'd really love to see your game envolving into a great finished game. So keep up the great work!
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin wrote: »
    If you dont mind me asking do you have a doc or something written up to explain what your trying to do.

Like my goals for the project?

Aye, Fenyce, but that's the Wysteria Woods, which I've yet to design. The one I've been working on is Gran Hollow. Those are also very nice reference images; thanks!
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, sorry, my mistake! Haha. I'm looking forward to see futher progress on this project. =)
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    I downloaded the demo from over on your facebook and finally had a chance to play it. Although there were some bugs, it was a lot of fun! Here are the things I noticed:

-The game didn't capture the mouse so I kept clicking outside the window and losing focus on the game
    -After enough clicks outside the screen I lost control of the camera and couldn't move it anymore (I think it was related to that anyway)
    -I couldn't activate the two switches to open the door, but I only tried after losing control of the camera so that might have been a factor
    -If there is a climbing animation it wouldn't play for me when climbing
    -The whole game seemed a little dark, try adding some more lights to points of interest so you can find your way around more easily
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad to hear it, Dark!
    The mouse thing is kind of odd; was it windowed? Do you have a dual-monitor setup?
    No climbing animation yet, so the vines are just elevators, I suppose.
    Aye, environment lighting is another of the things I haven't really done.

New water:
    NewWater_zps0f981b4e.png

It's using a reflective bumped specular shader, so it looks quite nice in motion.
  • mcunha98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mcunha98 polycounter lvl 7
    Amazing work here !
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    darkmag07 wrote: »
    -After enough clicks outside the screen I lost control of the camera and couldn't move it anymore (I think it was related to that anyway)

I had the same issue, after a couple of minutes.
  • NowvaB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NowvaB polycounter lvl 3
    New Water looks Great!
    might want to try some transparency though. i saw the water video and though it looked great it was alittle over-powering with the contrast.
    Examples: (i was on MH wiki at the time sry)
    http://http://images.wikia.com/monsterhunter/images/6/65/MHFO_Aqua_Lv3_Water_Halk_7.png
    http://images.wikia.com/monsterhunter/images/e/e3/Gogomoa_in_water.jpg
    http://www.gameinformer.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-ImageFileViewer/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles-00-00-43-08-90-Attached+Files/4130.potomac_5F00_river076.JPG_2D00_610x0.jpg
    third picture was just color palette inspiration for colors (Gran hollow origanaly was concepted as a foggy dark forest right?).
    anyways dont listen to me too much i dont make games! haha
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Have some more:

GranForestShot_zps68e354f2.png

I'll definitely add some transparency to the water later on; I've gotta model the lake and riverbeds for that, first.

I think I've solved the clicking out of the window issue; apparently, I needed to lock the cursor to the center of the screen in addition to just hiding it, so look forward to that.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on a trailer:
    GXYadNr.gif
  • Xsim1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xsim1 polycounter lvl 4
    Wow, that trailer is epic so far! I really digg it : D
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    oh my god! how have i missed this epic thread? you are amazing, keep up the goood work!

if you only spent the same time on the envoronmemt as on your characters this would be the best thing since windwaker.
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree! I really love your character work! And I'd still love to see wires and texture flats, ha ha! Just because I'm curios!
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, my environments still need a lot of work as I'm not very experienced in that sort of thing.

Hey look, a trailer:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhu-V3op6-0&quot;]Key of Ethios - Intro Trailer - YouTube[/ame]
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlbinLundahl polycounter lvl 5
    I like the trailer, and I really dig the progress on this project :)
    I have one bit of critique for the trailer though, the names when you present the characters are swishing by way too fast, could only read one of them. So slow those down is my recommendation :)
    Anyways, awesome work!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    saw the trailer on youtube, looks great man keep up the good work!
    soo when are you going to get your unity pro lisence?
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys! I hope to nab a Pro license soon.

Character:
    Zd6euai.png
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished 'em.
    8hQFf5o.png?1

And am currently working on his tavern, the Brazen Well:
    FfK7CbO.png
    ipYQURN.png
    PS43JRo.png
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    MAN! this is truly outstanding!

I really love what you're doing and the incredible amount of effort you've managed to put in it!

I've missed the trailer post but i'd like to give some crits on it... First the part where the Logo appears and you cycle through environments is a bit twitchy.
    I'd make the transition between the environments a bit slower and not include the logo as not it's fading with the rest... Also maybe make the logo itself a bit smaller so we can actually see what's behind :D

And as albin said make the last frame on the character presentations last a bit longer so we can read their name and look at them some more.

Now for the latests shots, I was wondering why are you using normal and specular only on some textures?
    I'd rather see a full diffuse only work than some nice painted textures with randomly popping speculars...
    Now it might be a stylistic choice on your end but on a first view impact it bothers/distract me to see such gap in styles : /
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, man!

I don't think there's much I can do about the trailer, considering I've already put it everywhere, but I'll keep this in mind for the next one.

And I see what you're saying about the shader work on the environment. The best idea would be to use the same shader on both the characters and environments, I suppose?

Rv114XP.png
    8Wy5aIo.png

Also shown is the new shader I cobbled together.
    Oydm7OD.png

There's also a new guy:
    FAzFHck.png