Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] CORRIDOR_01

Replies

• |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    I'm loving the simplistic design of this, not really sure about the dead body & blood in there though, hopefully you can tone it down slightly for the actual scene.
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks guys, will re-think that area of my concept :)

Sorry for lack of updates, i picked up L4D2 on steam for $7 - halloween sale!
    and catching up on some ipad dev stuff!

Managed to squeeze out the ToolBox and Screwdriver lows in between hehe.

toolbox_ce3_01.jpg

toolbox_wire_01.jpg

will tinker around in the scene some more then show you where im at! got few ideas coming to mind!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Nice prop! Looks bit like styrofoam though, could be the way you handled the 'pocking' of the material, or maybe it's the color. I kindof like the blood, how it's that fresh red, but I don't really like the body - maybe you could have some blood smears going down the hallway like the body was just dragged away or something.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah looking really really good! Yeah personally I don't like the blood and the body. You could have blood, just less of it and more detailed. Hand prints, bloody dragmarks etc etc. Other than that, really digging the clean look!
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys, i tried out a small idea i had in mind. Let me know if you think its readable or not.

Since the Mainboards are Radioactive, i decided to make the right one unstable. Causing overwhelming radioactive expore. Causing Radiowaves baked shadows. Similar to what happend from the Hiroshima bomb. In turn turning the worker into a pile of ash too.

ce3_c1_wip_04.jpg

RIP Franky lol.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Ha. I really like that idea but I doubt anyone would understand what's going on with the ash unless explained. I guess it'd be fine to have an explanation of it on your portfolio though. Seems more interesting and original than the monster/blood trail from earlier.

Also I haven't posted in this thread yet but I really like what you've done so far. The Mainboard is a pretty fancy nut. I love the metal shader you're using too (EDIT: Ah, you switched to CE3 so there's no fancy shader you could share). Also as a few people said before I'm not a big fan of the dented panels. I think it'd look better without them especially if you're going to use the radioactive/ash route.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I dunno, I think it's pretty clear what happened. Open panel, toolbox and tools. Broken wires... Pile of ash with a Janitors name card on top! (and a neat shadow of him against the wall!)

I really like it :P
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    fearian wrote: »
    I dunno, I think it's pretty clear what happened. Open panel, toolbox and tools. Broken wires... Pile of ash with a Janitors name card on top! (and a neat shadow of him against the wall!)

I really like it :P

Ah, I didn't see the shadow until you pointed it out even though I read that he baked in the lighting like with Hiroshima.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Hahahhaha xD I think the idea is funny - I like it a lot!!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Haha love the humor :D How did you go about creating the pile of ash? From the CE3 point of view..
  • WetWired
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, I didn't see the shadow either until it was mentioned. Maybe you could try the opposite? a large scorch/burn mark on the wall behind with a clean outline of him in it. That's what they tend to do in most cartoons anyway.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fallout laser ash pile anyone? anyone? no? :(
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    LOL. Awesome job taking this a different direction. So much better!
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    re.wind wrote: »
    Fallout laser ash pile anyone? anyone? no? :(

Haha totally.:thumbup:
  • VuriyV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice man, really like the drone. I start a similar project (got lots of spare time now). Got any suggestion for the reference you used. I'm going to a Aline's themed (before the invasion) Bar + corridor. Allso if your going for a portfolio Peace I recomend the Cry engine SDK. It has dinamic lighting and no need for cube maps.
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks everyone, i will tweak the lighting and overall scene focus to help pop out the "radioactive shadows" moreso.

WetWired: Yeh true, this could help. Although i have been reading about how when the bomb in Hiroshima was dropped, sharp shadows of people were left. Of course their bodies becoming dust. So quite the opposite of what you's think may happen. Radiation is a funny one!

VuriyV: Inlfuences would be Mirrors Edge (Clean, Crisp, Vibrant Colors), Portal(Simple Design Layout and Details.) Other than that, its just flowing ideas from what i feel will work with the scene! Yep ive switched over to CE3 - All dynamic babeh baaabeh!

sltrOlsson: Basically just a normal map made in Photoshop. Grainy Diffuse with Alpha.
    Combined with a cheap Blobby model that flattens out at the bottom to let the Alpha blend. Heres the Normal Map:

ashpile_nm_01.jpg

Created a quick Hi version of the Nuclear Logistics Unit that connects to the malfucntioning Mainboard. Simple elements, that i will finish the smaller details in Photoshop, to save me cutting and reworking the quadflows :P

hi_nuclear_unit_01.jpg
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Nice idea.

Maybe adding the guy's smoking boots covered in ash would make the idea a lot more immediately clear.
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, i decided to wrap up it 2day! Heres the Final Scene Shots.

Corridor One : A Nuclear Technician is sent out to Corridor One on a routine Mainboard check... now he's just a former shadow of himself ...

corridor_one_ce3_01.jpg

nuclearunit_ce3_01.jpg

nuclear_unit_txt_01.jpg

http://www.beancubeoflove.com/CORRIDOR.html

Time got to move onto some Real Life shit... haha.
    Thanks to everyone who threw in suggestions, ideas and critiques!
    I appreciate any further crits, just to get some closing thoughts from you all :)

Cheers dudes, bean.
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very cool I love this idea and the execution.
    My comments would be about the ash pile and shadow, I think its a bit too high (the pile) and compact, he must have been fiddling with a dial or something to be burnt like that. The pile just feels too neat like it has been swept into a pile to be disposed of.

The shadow should be a lot darker and look more burnt against the wall, at the moment it looks like the shadow as if he was still sitting there. I think the effect you should go for are the marks left on walls in those nuclear test villages where there are long burnt shadows of the dummies against the walls.

Also the apparatus around where the accident happened are far too clean, there's not a mark on any of the notepads or on the interface, it just doesn't tell the story of what happened.
    Overall though the scene is excellent!!
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    bloody awesome! love the style!
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    HAHAHAHAHAH!!former shadow... your killing me!

the nuke cart still looks like it is made of styrofoam...
  • Leodido
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love your scene mate :)
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    This is such an excellent scene :)

One thing that has been bothering me though, is how the human and toolbox shadows are burnt into the wall. Surely the shadowed part would be the only bits on the wall and floor without scorch marks?
    The explosion/radiation/light/magic would have hit the wall everywhere but where other objects were shielding it like a stencil.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its looking very cool so far :)

On this latest prop though, I don't feel it was really necessary to make this thing a totally unique map. By that I mean, you could have symmetried all of it, or most of it or even some of it and gotten more res in your textures.

Also, a nice idea/trick I've done in the past, is to have a dedicated decal sheet for props or whatever. Then u can reuse that all over, and make it a 256 texture or something, and get decent res out of them so u can actually read it and not have them a blurry mess.

Keep up the good work!

nuclear_unit_txt_01.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9
    Poor Franky. And to think that he just had one day left until retirement...
    Srsly, nice work :)