Home General Discussion

Why do you like Macs?

I'm genuinely curious these days about why Macs are so popular, especially with professionals.

What triggered this question even more is reading today that Mac hard drives now come with proprietary connections.

Meaning if you want to upgrade or your hard drive craps out, you have to buy one from apple - presumably for at least 50% more money than you could get a SATA Seagate or WD online.

Macs seem to cost twice that of an equivalent PC, and as far as I can tell, the only thing it offers over a PC is looks.

Which I can understand the appeal from the eyes of a trendy yuppie wanting something to look cool on the train or in their living room, but not from a professional standpoint. Most apple products admittedly look very slick and visually appealing, but to me that doesn't really mean much if it's a work machine.

I've never bought a Mac, because since I've been working with computers, they've always seemed incredibly overpriced. I get more bang for buck with a PC, plus a far greater range of software.

Another reason they are offputting is Apple seem like a pretty greedy company. The HD is one example, another example is one iPhone release having signal problems out of the box, and Apple actually charging customers for an external aerial attachment, rather than offering it free - seeing as it was to correct an inherent flaw. I mean wtf.

Yet Microsoft get more hate than Apple, I don't understand :)

Replies

• Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I'd never buy an apple desktop but they make really great laptops. I've had 2 macbook pros and they have been rock solid systems. Expensive yes, but when comparing to the experience my circle of friends have had with their pc laptops I feel happy about my choice.

So far as Microsoft vs Apple goes its not hard to see why Apple have a good rep. They've produced some amazing products where as Microsoft have had a string of mediocre OS's and failed hardware devices. Thats changed with Windows 7 I think, its got the nice stuff I like about MacOS and the Nice stuff I liked about previous versions of windows.

with regards to the iphone4 signal problem that was a total fucking joke, wasnt this solved by the covers they gave out for free though?
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    Some people buy macs because they are generally high quality, work well, mostly secure, look good, and apple provides some of the best customer service and support in the tech industry.

Personally I like building my own and selecting my own parts, but I consider that a hobby. (also Max doesn't run on OSX :P)

Microsoft had a bad rep because during the 90s they were hyper aggressive with their business practices and used their mass wealth to further entwine themselves into the tech sector. (They still do :P)
  • chrismaddox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrismaddox3d polycounter lvl 17
  • chrismaddox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like to build my own computer from the parts i want.
    Been doing this for well over a decade.
    As from the logo i posted above i think it holds true.
    I used a mac in a class in college and it was ok to me.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Always think of Frankie Boyle when I hear this question ' Look at the shiny shiny!!!'

I build my own PC's for much less than equivalent Apple system and have generally been happy going down that route. If something goes tits up, its my fault usually and I can fix it - I don't have to worry about invalidating its warranty by fixing it myself :p (Actually not sure it thats the case with Apple, but its a possibility)

Also, I like big boxy beige PC cases :D
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Well, regarding stability, you could say its easier to claim its more stable when you don't allow you to alter it as you like.
    Using LEGO as example, I see Mac as where you get a LEGO pack with 3 different schematics you can build, but you are not allowed to make something else, while PC comes with lot of different schematics, but your LEGO set might not have all the pieces to make them.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    compare them to other big box computer companies: Dell, HP, etc.. probably more appropriate to compare them to the high end builders that use expensive parts.

Macs are entrenched in print, music and advertising because they outpaced windows machines at the time and became the defacto platform.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    I like my macbook and my iPhone, and that's about it. The macbook is a pretty solid piece of machinery even though it's hardware is fairly substandard and pretty much outdated it still runs like a train. But that has more to do with the OS then hardware imho.
    The only reason I got a mac to begin with was that I could build my game on my iPhone, seeing that Apple are greedy fuckwads and at the time you could only use that horrendous piece of an IDE called XCode on OSX...

Personally, the only reason I see why Apple is used more in the pro markets these days is because of OSX. And maybe the hipster design of the hardware and for "old times sake".

And I would never buy a dekstop mac because I've always built my own systems. It's so much more gratifying!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Color 'out of the box' on monitors red is red is red for the most part, you have to buy other peripheals for Windows colors to be exact over monitors and systems, etc.. It's a lot less these days, but Macs color profiles back in the day where the standard. Today, yes they are overpriced but they are simple, powerful if need be, and have great support.
  • chrismaddox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know some who use a mac monitors on their pc. Is the color better on a
    mac monitor than a pc?
    Does anyone know if this is a true theory of not?
    I know the mac monitors cost can get up there.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really love MacBooks, I really dislike iMacs/Mac Pro's.

The iMacs are overpriced and nothing special, although the displays are very very nice.

For a desktop, I just build my own, not only for cost reasons, but customization. It's a shame I can't use OS X properly because despite the hate, it is a very solid OS which I love using when I can.

MacBooks however, are a different story altogether. The build quality is just unbelievable compared to anything else on the market. I mean sure, you can get a higher spec'd Dell for half the price, but is it cast out of a solid block of aluminium? No, it feels like you could snap it in half with one hand.

I know some other laptops come close in build quality, but those that do, cost similar to a MacBook. I throw my MacBook into my bag and pull it out in coffee shops etc and I know it'll still look nice and shiny when I use it, when I pick up a Dell or whatever, I feel like the screen is gonna break off if I did that.

I'm on my third MacBook Pro, and every single one has been fantastic. Resale value is another huge plus, upgrading each time has cost me barely anything since I sold the previous one for not a lot less than a new one.

Bottom line, for desktops, nice screen but overpriced and usually bad spec. Laptops, no comparison if you can afford one and aren't one of those 'I need uuuub3r gam1ng performance with and 0v3rclocked twelve core CPU in a laptop' types.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember at one point they apparently performed better than PC's for stuff like video editing and other high end media use.

The Power PC era I think?

But these days they use the same technology, I mean both Macs and PC's run on intel chips, so there's no reason for them to be quite that much more.

Essentially these days you can buy or build a PC with the exact same specs for far less.

r_fletch_r - well I read news reports at the time, that they were actually charging people for whatever device solved the signal problem. Which if true, is insane.

I don't agree with your take on Microsoft Vs Apple either. I'm by no means a Microsoft fan, but I don't see why they get such hate. They seem far less greedy than Apple to be honest, especially these days.

As far as failed hardware devices, the 360 is hardly a failure. And I actually prefer Windows XP to any Mac OS I've used, which seem.

Regardless of what we all think about Microsoft Vs Apple, I guess my point is these days all you're paying for is looks and brand name. Am I wrong in thinking that?

Don't get me wrong, as someone from an arts background myself I DO think Apple products generally look great, but I just couldn't justify spending that much more on them, plus I like the range of software and customisation that Windows offers.

Creation, I haven't used a Macbook to be fair, do they really feel that solid? Much more than an ASUS or IBM etc?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regardless of what we all think about Microsoft Vs Apple, I guess my point is these days all you're paying for is looks and brand name. Am I wrong in thinking that?

Read my post. You're not wrong, but it's also build quality, not only looks. I mean, build quality is irrelevant in a desktop to some extent, since it's not going anywhere. And I agree, iMacs are overpriced and you can build a far cheaper, far better PC. But laptops... see above.

Also, OS X is a great OS. I've been using it for almost 8 years and if I could run all my apps in OS X, I wouldn't use Windows. I mean, I like Win7, but OS X, is definitely more stable, and just a more enjoyable experience, especially if you're just using it for web/media/email.

EDIT:
    Creation, I haven't used a Macbook to be fair, do they really feel that solid? Much more than an ASUS or IBM etc?

Yes. The comparison is laughable. Pick up an Acer/Dell/whatever then a MacBook. The only thing that comes close is the Dell Adamo or the VAIO's, but then the price is often even higher than the MacBook.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I've never seen anything good about macs. They can't run the programs I use, they're slower than pc's, I personally think they're ugly as hell, and the prices are incredibly awful. BUT, they just work. If something runs on a mac, 9 times out of ten it'll just plain work. This is all hearsay, mind you, but I've rarely heard mac owners complain about crashes, or instability, or the regular problems that pc's users have in that vein.

Mac's just aren't what I would ever use, for a lot of reasons, but from what I understand, if it can run a program, it's a LOT less likely for you to have to spend time fighting with a Mac, than you do with a pc getting software to work
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've disliked Apple since being forced to work on them in print production back in the early 90s. I won't go into a rant; suffice it to say I have not and will not be giving Apple any money, ever. My wife on the other hand adores them and all their products. She's a dyed in the wool fanboy. For her, a lot of it comes down to the service. If you buy Applecare, they will take care of you, no muss no fuss. Anyone who's had to deal with customer service from Dell, HP, etc, will understand the value there.

The other high point is Macs and OSX are pretty bombproof for simple tasks like email and web. While the hardware isn't impressive or cost effective, they do tend to be stable and reliable without having to have any technical knowledge. If you're buying a laptop for grandma or for your kid's schoolwork, Mac might be a good choice for a fire and forget piece of hardware. It'll work 90% of the time, and when it doesn't Apple will fix or replace it.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    I've always been using PC's for all my computer needs, but both my dad, mom and sister have been using macs for nearly everything.. because it simply works for them. I can see the appeal that macs have, and if 3ds max were to be ported, with no real performance loss, I would think about changing OS... There's some workflow things thats been integrated so far into OS X that I would love would have been in Windows 7, like the multiple desktops you can change between and the very visualy pleasing way of changing apps using Expos
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    back when Mac's were using apple hardware as well as apple software, this discussion would have been completely one sided (in my eyes), due to my experience as a musician, and the metaphorical grand canyon of difference between a Mac and a PC when it came to audio recording back then.

but now Mac's run on intel (i can, and have, had dual OS running on this machine, running Win7 and OSX) and other generic hardware, you're literally just paying for the label. audio and graphics software has for the longest time been just as compatible and effective on PC's as they have on Mac's.

the biggest issue with pc, is compatability between hardware, which is in a better place than it has been for ever. windows 7 really is fantastic in this regard and i've yet to see a bluescreen that isn't down to me being a dick rather than the hardware being at fault. and really, if you're building a PC with audio/graphics development in mind, you tend to know your hardware choices and limitations in the first place.

point is:
    you can build a pc (or buy a decent laptop) with the same specs as a mac, for way cheaper. and there's really no reason not to do it other than the label, nowadays.
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    My MBP's battery life: 5-6 hours of heavy use.
    My equivalently powered (and significantly thicker/heavier) ASUS windows machines battery life: 1.5-2.5 hours of heavy use.

I don't get it. Why can't mainstream PC makers make a battery that lasts as long as the macbook pro's.

Also, OSX is a unix based operating system that runs some pretty main stream software. Having a unix terminal ready to go right out of the box (not the bullshit cmd prompt they give you in windows) adds some value.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The battery on new macs is pretty sophisticated. Im not to clear on what the difference is but I've heard they added a small processor that controls the charging process to avoid over charging on a per cell basis.

Not to sure on the tech but I've also got 5 hour runs. its awesome :)

there seem to be alot of folks here who haven't used a mac system but seem to have made up their mind. Which is fine, but this thread was 'why do you like mac'

rumbleSushi: I should have been clearer, the hate against brands is silly. You can see how these things start though, the 360 is a pretty example of microsoft success, the failure rate is horrendous.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    i dont really like them all that much.

But, my dad just did get a desktop mac, and what he likes about it is that its easier than a pc. My dad knows nothing about computers, and is completely useless when it comes to them. I usually want to pull my hair out whenever he asks for help, and usually end up walking away cause we start fighthing. since he got his mac, he can do so many things by himself, without asking for help. like, when you insert a cd, it auto puts all the music into itunes. He loves the slideshow feature for his pictures. with easy rotation and stuff like that. Yes, we all know its easy to do that stuff with a pc, but fora complete computer dummy, it apparently isnt so easy.

as for all the programs that designers love about macs.... just different tools for the job. most of which you can get on pcs now.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    The Unix command line and native sms wrapper is really nice. As is the really huge library of driver support that comes with it. It is however really expensive so I guess I'll have to not be lazy and just download plug in play drivers my self.

Quote from Android Developer Site
    If you're developing on Mac OS X, it just works. Skip this step.

http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/device.html
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    I should also note that as a web developer, I have a bias towards mac. What is weird to me is the number of web developers I come across who are fervently anti-mac, like some of the people in this thread. I can understand if they're anti-mac, pro linux, but the few who are anti-mac, pro-windows as web developers just boggle my mind.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Color 'out of the box' on monitors red is red is red for the most part, you have to buy other peripheals for Windows colors to be exact over monitors and systems, etc.. It's a lot less these days, but Macs color profiles back in the day where the standard. Today, yes they are overpriced but they are simple, powerful if need be, and have great support.

What are you on about? Macs didn't even use to run the correct display gamma and boxed profiles are never any good.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've always built my own PC's, it started way back in the Tandy days when my dad was literally soldering pieces together. If you wanted a PC, you built one. Macs didn't play games, Macs didn't have anything to build games and they have always been over priced.

Even today I still prefer the PC to play and create games and the Mac lags behind still...

I like my iphone, but I lament at its lack of functionality. Browsing apps on the phone is painful, browsing through itunes on the PC or Mac is only a little less painful but still aimed at keeping you looking at what they want you to look at, the top 25 of whatever.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    They are clean and elegant. And more than anything else, the OSX operating system reflects Apple's devotion to clean, uncluttered design. OSX is much more pleasant to work with than Windows.

Of course, I actually use my Ubuntu Linux box quite a bit these days. My main thing is that I'm dissatisfied with the buggy and error-prone Windows OS. I generally prefer not to pay the premium that Macs require. I have a Mac Mini for iOS development, and that's pretty much it.
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've always built my own PC's, it started way back in the Tandy days when my dad was literally soldering pieces together. If you wanted a PC, you built one. Macs didn't play games, Macs didn't have anything to build games and they have always been over priced.

I have a theory that computer preference is a bit like religion - you're prone to stick with what you grew up with. I really think that's true of a lot of things, like foods for example. I, like you, grew up around PCs, poking and prodding them to make them work better. My wife's parents were graphic designers in the 80s and always had a Mac at home. I've spent a lot of time using Macs, but I just can't get past that initial impression of it not being as 'pokable' as a PC. My wife on the other hand just can see the allure of PCs; she only sees what Macs do better or different.

Obviously, some people break the mold here and change things up or approach computers with a more open mind. Mostly though, I think all the brand bashing and whatnot is really just justification for a deep rooted psychological preference that comes from our early experiences with technology. Really, we can quibble over what does what, but in this day and age, there is VERY little difference between how Mac and PCs work and what you can do with them. The differences are mainly cost and topical.

tldr - You like what you grew up with/had a first good experience with.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    back when Mac's were using apple hardware as well as apple software, this discussion would have been completely one sided (in my eyes), due to my experience as a musician, and the metaphorical grand canyon of difference between a Mac and a PC when it came to audio recording back then.

but now Mac's run on intel (i can, and have, had dual OS running on this machine, running Win7 and OSX) and other generic hardware, you're literally just paying for the label. audio and graphics software has for the longest time been just as compatible and effective on PC's as they have on Mac's.

the biggest issue with pc, is compatability between hardware, which is in a better place than it has been for ever. windows 7 really is fantastic in this regard and i've yet to see a bluescreen that isn't down to me being a dick rather than the hardware being at fault. and really, if you're building a PC with audio/graphics development in mind, you tend to know your hardware choices and limitations in the first place.

point is:
    you can build a pc (or buy a decent laptop) with the same specs as a mac, for way cheaper. and there's really no reason not to do it other than the label, nowadays.

This is my thoughts exactly, well more or less.

They're running on the same hardware these days, and almost everything you can get on a Mac you can get on PC's too, but the same can't be said for vice versa. There's a huge library of PC software, many of them even free.

Even though I'm a visual person, I'm also a practical person when it comes to work/machines etc, and I would feel ripped off paying twice as much for the same machine because it looked pretty.

However creation and Jeremy S have fair points.

Obviously a big part of a laptop IS being sturdy and solidly built, especially if it is regularly being transported. That is something I'd pay for, a solidly built machine.

And Jeremy, I kind of forgot about that actually, but from using Macs myself and from what others tell me, that's probably the most appealing thing to me, less error prone, less fiddly when it comes to drivers.

I definitely appreciate things that "just work", which is why I'm a console gamer rather than a PC gamer :cool:
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    What are you on about? Macs didn't even use to run the correct display gamma and boxed profiles are never any good.

The point was if you looked at a red on a mac display, and your buddy's display, and a print out, it was all the same.. (back in the day) Now it's totally different that's one of the reason the majority of graphics were done on Mac's you could trust the colors coming from your displays. Now not so much, tech has gotten much better.

On Windows machines, with two identical monitors and identical profiles you can still have issues with color differences, but there's programs and peripherals to fix those issues.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    I think the idea of being alternative is what drives "macs" I mean a pc is a personal computer so macs fall under that, its just the os.
    But apple have managed to create an entirely different "market" and because it is tightly contorlled the products are well made, unlike microsofts free for all.
    So they get the hipster/ alternative (when do you see an arty fart without one, rarely.) attention and they look good- like magpies to shiney things.
    And hipsters stick by anything- look at retro stuff its mostly shit yet they still love it.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I definitely appreciate things that "just work", which is why I'm a console gamer rather than a PC gamer :cool:

Rocking the red rings :)
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
    macs are like any other computers, their a tool. I personally have a PC, and a mac for my wife, because she likes the max OS better than windows. Their laptops are more competitively priced, but overall I don't believe the extra costs are justified.

Personally I don't mind Macs, the OS argument is BS in my opinion since we spend most of our time buried inside applications which work pretty much the same.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Artifice, that "theory" is a truth as big as the Universe!

In the forums you will always find people arguing about hardware like talibans, with an incredible fanatism. Pro-Nvidia, Pro-Intel, etc. All these religious people will defend what they consider the best :D.

It's like with cars, we may have a decent/bad car, but we will always say our car is the best (although we know is a total lie). As Mark, i also like to build my computers, component by component, but just because it's cheaper for me. I can build the ultimate computer for less than 800 euros, and find out that the same machine, with the same specs is being sold for more than 1800 euros at Dell.

But... i recognize Macs are very attractive and they are quite good, luxury machines for people with too much money, quite expensive if you look for perfomance. The other day i was playing with a 27" Imac at Mediamarkt, and for its price... a pc with such ips led monitor, i would have ended paying more (cuz a good ips monitor is more than 1000 euros). The imac was in sale for 1700 euros, 27" ips led (not very expensive if we consider this), 4GB ram, 1TB HD, i5 2500 and ati HD 6970M (a nice graphic card).

Another big advantage of an imac is that you don't need to worry about wires, space, perfomance, etc. You have your monitor, your mouse, your keyboard and your 2.1 speaker. It's all what a designer could dream of, seriously.

A mac it is not just the OS, it's the design, the overall quality of what we see, all. It's just like to compare a Mercedes vs a Peugeot. You just don't buy a thing with 4 wheels. And surely we could have a more powerful peugeot, but at the end, it would not be a "Mercedes".

I wish i could buy a PC similar to an imac, with that ips led monitor, but much cheaper.

Envy...
  • chrismaddox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found this kinda funny.
    101 T-Shirts for Apple Fanboys and the Mac Faithful!
    http://www.cotygonzales.com/2010/01/25/101-t-shirts-for-apple-fanboys-and-mac-faithful/
  • Noia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noia polycounter lvl 13
    I'm not anti-Microsoft, and I figure this thread will regress into trolling, but since you said you are genuinely curious...

My Mac Pro is 5 years old and still runs like new. I've upgraded it over the years with standard hardware you can find on Newegg (RAM, graphics card, SSDs) and haven't had a problem. Dual non-Apple monitors, non-Apple mouse. Inside the tower is very organized, which makes upgrading easier.

I like Mac OS and time machine (nice automatic backup system). Automator rocks my socks. PDFs, zip/rar files, PSD previews-- open quickly without downloading anything. I don't get mysterious errors, and there's little maintenance. ZBrush and Unity work well. I also have Bootcamp with Win7, which is only a couple months old, but seems to be working fine. I skipped Vista because it was enough to deal with it on my Dell laptop.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Rocking the red rings :)

I've got 2 Xbox 360's, both had ample playtime, and both as good as new. No problems at all.

I've also got a white Japanese old school PS2 that I've had for years and years, that's been played a HUGE amount, and runs without a hitch. My Dreamcast too.

I've actually never had a problem with any console.

I know RROD is legit, and has affected many machines, but either I'm lucky with consoles, or it happens to consoles in hot countries with really dusty rooms :D
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Snefer wrote: »
    I dont.

QFT

Be a man and build your own workstation.
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    QFT

Be a man and build your own workstation.

yeah it's cheaper too.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
  • chrismaddox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    macvspc.gif

I just cant stop laughing, that really struck me as being funny.
    Maybe i have a weird sense of humor, who knows.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its juvenile but hey, its Justin Long getting hit in the face with a wrench. Though he is actually fantastic as a gay porn star in Zack & Mirry make a porno.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I wish I'd switched to my mac years before I did.

I was a member of the "macs are crap!!1lol!!" crowd. Now I'm not and I'm happier for it.

And my cock is bigger. Comes in handy for those pissing competitions about hardware on the internet.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Get the best of both worlds. Stop being Steve Jobs hardware bitch, and just buy OSX and use one of the many bios emulators to install on your PC hardware..

Best of both worlds. Customizable platform that you build for a cheaper price than something Apple would attempt to sell you as hype.

Oh, and its not the size of your cock Rick.. Its what you do with it. :D
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish I'd switched to my mac years before I did.

I was a member of the "macs are crap!!1lol!!" crowd. Now I'm not and I'm happier for it.

And my cock is bigger. Comes in handy for those pissing competitions about hardware on the internet.

So Rick, apart from the larger penis, why else are you happy with your Mac?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nah best of both worlds is having dual OS on your macbook pro...i like OS for everyday use surfing photography, mixing etc... but windows is for working...

and macbook track pads and keyboards are far superior to any PC laptop that ive tried... and surely your input device is important....
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    nah best of both worlds is having dual OS on your macbook pro...

No, the best of both worlds is rocking a Linux distribution. You can use whatever hardware you please, and you still get a clean, efficient operating system. Pick the right distro, and you can get a UI that's just as minimalist and user-friendly as OSX. Of course, you still have the drawback of not having as many games as Windows.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

That ain't cause of your mac son, its cause of all those rollerderbies you attend... your snaps have the same effect on me holmes! :D
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With linux, do you not also have the problem of not having a fraction of the software in general?
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    with linux you'll deal with more problems than the general lack of commercial pro software. Sound latency gets worse each year and GUI designs shift with some 'don't copy windows' mentality making things harder to use because the programmers insist so. Many distros have preachy fans that try to jedi mind trick denial of the issues with 'it's fast and free u bitch.' or something like that. Linux on the desktop can't move forward with fanboys.

Design by committee sucks. Linux is fine for servers of course, since you don't deal with all sorts of media playback issues.

oh as for macs
    Stunt-Copter-2140-thumb.pngbattle.gif

STUNTCOPTER AND BOLO FACK YEAA