Home General Discussion

BRAWL Contest Discussion - NEW INFO, CHECK OP ASAP!!!

Replies

• MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    The entries are all so awesome. I didn't get to finish, i coulda made it but the texture woulda been really rushed. O well. Again nice work everyone.
  • jayoplus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome contest and great entries for good measure. The character voting process is going to be so tough (those entries are just so epic).
    Nice work PC.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    True, there are no physical prizes involved in this competition, but for everybody who stayed up late fixing seams and nitpicking your UV layout... I highly recommended the image below. Its never tasted so good!

Cake Batter Ice Cream with Heath Bar
    coldstone.jpg

Edit: Now, Me thinks some people have been updating, instead of getting ice cream.....
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Looks like we caught the attention of GAF again: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429629

Congratulations to all who finished. I'll probably have my late entry finished soon.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    rv_el i'd like to discuss your taste in icecream. Looks scary.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    but im allergic to milk! D:
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    adam wrote: »
    VERY IMPORTANT: We'll use this thread from here on out to discuss how much of a tool I am. In my editing of the thread to include those FIGHTER submissions that didn't make it due to technical difficulties I completely removed the thread from our database. I had merged in someone's post, which ended up being that thread's OP. When I went to delete it, not thinking the entire fucking thread would be deleted, I removed it off our database.

Show me the face you made when you realised what you did.
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    Oh shit.. Brawl just broke my website!!! :(

!! :O~!!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Some awesome entries for sure, fuck! Wish i could have entered, but I got married instead :) This is going to be a hard one to judge!

One request I would like to make for future contests will be to ban the presentation method that sprouted up by taking your textures, and masking them out in diagonals/ quarters/whatever by diffuse, specular, normal, etc onto one image. It is a disgrace to the work, and just a horrible presentation. I feel its offensive to the viewer and community - for those wanting to learn by studying the people they admire/look up to for inspiration. I could probably go on longer for it, but won't, but please for the love of all that is holy... no more of that shit!

TLDR:
    motherfuckingcockpunchhate.jpg

I understand people do that work isn't stolen, but when textures are presented this way, it is also next-to-impossible to determine someone's abilities to organize a uv layout, see cool techniques (and learn a thing or two from your awesome art), and truly appreciate someone's skills. I know I would be annoyed as shit if I had to look at a portfolio with work presented this way. Sure - the end result on the model is the most important, but it is still useful to see the flat both for educational purposes as well as appreciation of the hard work that went into all aspects of the final piece and not just the fancy render.
  • mbullister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mbullister polycounter lvl 18
    The split-up texture presentation was actually part of the rules:

"This will be a single 512
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    :) Moose I actually think this is due to the contest requiring people only use a 512x512 to display all texture passes (despite the other images being 1080p...*cough*)
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    yeah I have a feeling its usually just because of the massive number of images being submitted rather than theft
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regardless, outside of the BRAWL, he has a point. Shit's annoying.

Anyway, I found this whole situation rather amusing, lol.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Didn't know it was an official rule, Adammmmmm!!!! ;) :polytwitch: :poly106:

I really would love to see that changed in future contests :) Don't want to start a debate or lengthy discussion on it, but I really don't think its an appropriate way to encourage the community and artists to present their work. If it an issue about thread image-weight, then we could state:

"You must post URLs, or thumbnails with links to a screenshot of an uncomposited sheet of your textures used"

or

require that only a single image is posted, and a URL to a webpage with a collection of images (via dropbox, etc). which makes entering the contest two fold - one for entering, two for making a webpage that can be used later!

don't want to derail, I think the admins and everyone behind the organizing have done an amazing job keeping it on time, professional, and neat; as well as a brilliant idea that brought out a ton of amazing pieces of art from the community.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Arkadius wrote: »
    Oh shit.. Brawl just broke my website!!! :(

!! :O~!!

Yes, I ended up calling my provider. They helped it by I guess makign it so people disconnect after 15 secoonds or something. So the churn rate is faster. he was like "its a couple of jpgs!"

One thing I feel i have to point out.

your 512
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    JordanW wrote: »
    :) Moose I actually think this is due to the contest requiring people only use a 512x512 to display all texture passes (despite the other images being 1080p...*cough*)

agreed I usually like to keep all my difs/nrms/specs/gloss, on 1 presentation sheet, but 1 per type. or I like to show them in the row method on 1 sheet (Dif,norm,Spec,Gloss across)

just we had 1 512 to showcase it all on :S

I was just gonna show just DIF only originally but I saw all the other kids doing it and I didnt want to be left out D:
  • JaxisaRobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work guys, there are so many cool entries in both the fighters + the environments :D! I didn't have the time to work on mine sadly, but I'd like to take the concept and do it when I find the time to!
  • Apostolon
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree about the image stripping. When I was making the final texture sheet image it was painful I wanted to show off each full sheet at 100% resolution but couldn't.

I'd be happy with a stripped image that linked to a full sheet. That way the submission thread's aren't being hammered quite so hard and people get to see a deeper level of detail if they want.

I would also like to see an additional or optional construction page where you can showcase specific props.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Uggh I totally wished I could've finished.

I got Mono instead.

>_<