Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[FIGHTER] Marvel VS Capcom 3, Haggar, rv_el

Replies

• arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    really awesome work man, i was into sharks too, my father is an avid shark fisherman to this day, everytime i go back to the gulf coast we go.
    i always thought the sand tiger had the most interesting set of teeth, looks so scary even though they are not aggressive at all.

totally unrelated but i was at a dev party and there was someone that use to work at liquid telling me you cut off your beard?? WTF! that shit was immaculate.
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    super good dude. With just a rough start tom selleck is already totally recognizable.

Not much to add. just greatness :)
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    sure glad you showed what an early version looks like, you shouldn't want to hide this from us XD ! Those shapes are crazy solid, if not perfect,

lovin this.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    haha awesome work man. I really love his proportions.
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    You know that weightless calm you get before a hard hit to the head? I'm feeling that right now. Hope you get time to shake this contest.
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    Looking really good, for me personally I wanna see the shark :). My personal favorite is the Thresher, but they are all pretty cool.

About the FoV, I keep mine at 30, I was told it was better to keep it lower not higher, it would be nice if Pixologic didn't deviate from the mainstream so much :(.

Sepultura is good. Heres some inspiration music right back ya, it little more shred orientated, but its good IMO.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak6M4blISuA[/ame]
  • artician
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artician polycounter lvl 17
    His shoulder strap is a bit thick, but otherwise this is a great start!
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    @ Arkadius: Awesome!! I listen to stuff like that, but neer heard of Jeff Loomis. I dig it! Good music for working.

The reason I posted that particular Sepultura song is because of the lyrics.. "Open up your mind, and go your own way!" For people in this competition who are in school and trying to get jobs, i suppose i would post a song that was like "Listen to your teacher, and re-do the part that he tells you to"

But if anybody in this comp is making power soldiers or motocross characters driving warthogs :). Then have fun. Its inpsirational as a song, but also that it keeps reaffirming me to just go with my heart, shoot from my gut. Theres no prizes in this competiton. Nobody is measuring dicks. So have fun and go your own way!!! which its awesome to see a lot of people are. JFletcher is doing magical work. Lots of really cool stuff out there. Music has always helped fuel my fire. Funny i'm actually listening to the new Cavalera Conspiracy right now. Jesu... Crowbar... Roach Powder. And the new Fear Factory :).

Thanks for the new music man! i'll be checking them out. Do you like Gojira? Cloudkicker? I kind of assume you like Dream Theater and Opeth. Hope i'm not out of line there. Any more reccomendations are greatly appriciated.

@KillNPC: Haha thanks man! I hope so too. The power just went out and my APC just saved my ass. lol.

@Arsh: Dude sweet!!! When I was talking to a guy at work about sharks I brought up the Thresher right away. Said my "favorite is Mako, and also the Thresher is awesome." So he looked it up. The tail is so awesome on that thing. There are pictures of me as a kid holding up a Leopard Shark. We caught mostly Rays and Leapards when we went out. And some mud sharks that we would cut up and use as bait ;). My dad still fishes a lot and catches a lot. I need to go out with him again some time. I am never home during a good time.......... i am never home in general. I heard a rap song recently where a guy was like "Never sleep like a shark" or soemthing. heh. So crazy that like Tiger Sharks will sit still in a mode in the deep sea and basically HEAVE water through their gills with out moving forward. Also about my beard... ITS BACK!

@artician: I'll strap you thick! or something. lol :).

Thanks Guys. This competition is fun. I'm trying to keep the vision even though working on him is so broken up. I don't have much for a physical concept. hehe.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    TFFHAGARt.jpg

So this isn't the first time i've done haggar I guess you could say. Above is an ansi I made when I was about 15. I have tons of ansis from the BBS days. This is one of haggar. In like 2000 I found a converter that would change them to jpg and keep the hard edge.

TUFF GUY cause ya know. Tough was Tuff... Phone was Fone. oh the BBS days. (as if i've actually changed much. haha)

The Final Frontier was my BBS which the name is based off a song by MC Ren. hint. you can see where rv_el comes from at the top there :). Good times. I've had that name more or less since 6th grade. I did a lot of ansis for our, uh, "crew". and for other people. Most of them were either game or super hero related. i.e Deadpool, Venom, Cyrak.... Force of Nature :). lol

All Ansis were done with the keyboard since my Mouse conflicted with my modem IRQ. Gotta have priorities!

New one so far:
    haggarfacewip.jpg
    I'll be tweaking this forever......
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    rv_el wrote: »
    Jesu...

A man with taste! Justin Broadrick is a fucking genius!

For what it's worth; Porcupine Tree and Opeth always get my juices flowing. And of course, Type O Negative (RIP Peter Steele) :)

Loving the progress so far man, loads of character in the guy already. :)
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great progress so far man! I can't wait to see this done
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    I really should get to work! Why did I do this obligatory crap I don't know. Its a WIP. I'll think of more stuff for it later. Just was fun to do :). I kinda want it to say.. In High school I never called your mom back..... She still votes for me.

Damn things are over-done. Time to get back to actually working on this stuff.

haggarhope.jpg
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    @ Arkadius: Awesome!! I listen to stuff like that, but neer heard of Jeff Loomis. I dig it! Good music for working.

The reason I posted that particular Sepultura song is because of the lyrics.. "Open up your mind, and go your own way!" For people in this competition who are in school and trying to get jobs, i suppose i would post a song that was like "Listen to your teacher, and re-do the part that he tells you to"

But if anybody in this comp is making power soldiers or motocross characters driving warthogs :). Then have fun. Its inpsirational as a song, but also that it keeps reaffirming me to just go with my heart, shoot from my gut. Theres no prizes in this competiton. Nobody is measuring dicks. So have fun and go your own way!!! which its awesome to see a lot of people are. JFletcher is doing magical work. Lots of really cool stuff out there. Music has always helped fuel my fire. Funny i'm actually listening to the new Cavalera Conspiracy right now. Jesu... Crowbar... Roach Powder. And the new Fear Factory :).

Thanks for the new music man! i'll be checking them out. Do you like Gojira? Cloudkicker? I kind of assume you like Dream Theater and Opeth. Hope i'm not out of line there. Any more reccomendations are greatly appriciated.

Opeth is a given! Dream Theater is good, but I was just never into the singing. The only band I recognize from your list is Fear Factory, good stuff, saw them back (and Dream Theater back on the first Gigantour) they put on a good show! I'll have to check out the rest of the bands you listed. Here are a couple more recommendations, maybe you heard of some bands. My taste are bit old since I haven't ventured to look for any new bands, but these guys keep delivering a health dose of inspiration daily. :)

Nevermore, Jeff Loomis' band.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFU4ulcO6tM[/ame]

Death. One of my favorite bands. Should also be a given!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spVZNOd2XSM[/ame]

Agalloch. A bit slower but awesome stuff!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o0g2SIdnKw&feature=related[/ame]

Novembers Doom. Very dark very good!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGMRaojeDRI&feature=related[/ame]

Edge of Sanity. 40 mins of greatness!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRfXfB28c94[/ame]

Suidakra. Folk metal at its best. Ensiferum is good too!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmyL2EwHu3g[/ame]

As you can hear I lean more towards melodic death. Well I better stop since I am stealing the thread...
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    I really should get to work! Why did I do this obligatory crap I don't know. Its a WIP. I'll think of more stuff for it later. Just was fun to do :). I kinda want it to say.. In High school I never called your mom back..... She still votes for me.

Damn things are over-done. Time to get back to actually working on this stuff.

haggarhope.jpg

I would vote for him to be my president..Suplexing sharks first hand
  • POWER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome SENSEI
    209e5ac3.jpg
    I am not japanese. But i very love Japanese art.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    that face! Style is lookin good :D
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Chums!

He knows he's going to die, so badly.

Chums.jpg

You would think I would spend more time on Haggar. Right.

shark is actually more or less done. Sculpt-wise. I should post it. But its just what I posted before + sinnews lol!! oh and trim dynamic. Can't forget that, thats how you know somebody is an artist (lol! sarcasm FTL!)
  • christermime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    christermime polycounter lvl 8
    So much fear behind those eyes...
  • artician
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artician polycounter lvl 17
    Sad squid is sad.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    bullshark.jpg
    very wip on that texture lol! i shouldn't even post it.
    bulllsharktex.jpg
    h1.jpg
    hzb.jpg
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    Those are convincing nipples... How do you sculpt your nipples? Do you use a nipple brush? I've been looking for a good nipple brush...
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    love the face but the chest area looks too spherical.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    I fly out to EA where I meet a few artists and a large team of managers and producers. Then I hit up Hugo on tha celly. He's my go-to in LA. Big buff guy. He comes on down to the studio there in EALA and we scan his body in. Body scan plus texture scan. If I don't like the results of what I'm getting... I may flick his nipple a few times. He would do it but he's too buff. Can't bend his arm in to do it. Its totaly straight, and its for art. So its ok. When thats all good.. WE SCAN. Then i'm handed it as a 50m triangle model on a 2TB external hard drive. We go to lunch and talk shit about people and do coke.. Then I fly back here to NC where i spend about 4 hours cropping the general area out and working it into my Model. Sometimes I project it onto what I have. Sometimes I turn it into a height map and put it on that way.

Glad you asked?

I'm glad they are convincing. I payed a lot of money to get that crap scanned. You don't even want to know what Tom Selleck charged me! and thats just for the head! no nipples with him! in RL... total... bastard...
  • Bogdanbl4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow looks great
    love increased details
  • Rossonerixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome !

Good work and Nice proportion ;)
  • The_Onomatopoeia
    awesome! i wish i had this kind of speed to get things done.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, that's some quality nipple work right there sir!
  • Hellstern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellstern polycounter lvl 11
    Bwahahah))))
    Nipple scan. nipple brush... omygawd

You work looks gorgeous. I want this shark.
  • AKAperly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice gloves man, that a machete on his back?
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Um.. I just got up. Don't work on a shark if you don't want to have dreams/nightmares about them. That is all.

Thanks guys!
  • yoyomon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yoyomon polycounter lvl 11
    Just got up, I feel like I can go back to sleep nao...
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I think you should write a blog about the making of this. Not just a tutorial, but actually your thought process behind this entire thing. Like how you search for reference, how you search for details.

I get the feeling I'm learning a lot just from your thought process. Almost like every small little detail has a story about it.

Anyways, Great job! keep it up!

:D
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi said it all....:)
    This is looking beautiful...
    I agree with mm on chest area.
    Looking forward for next update
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    really loving this, would love a tutorial also
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Wow, inspiring work. The head is fantastic :D
  • mxdirector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    DUDE!! Thanks for the Paintover! Totally going that route! As thanks, I shall immortalize you...In digital..rock... form!!

KimeRock.jpg
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    haha nice. You've managed to capture the full gamut here from nipple flicking to squid. It's not just an entry, it's a way of life.
  • Stepanchikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stepanchikov polycounter lvl 8
    Everything is very cool, as always! I hope, you'll make all characters from Street Fighter :))) I'm big fan of your work!
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys!

BBox85: Haha! hilarious. I'm glad you liked the paintover. I'm alwasy worried about that stuff ya know. I kinda just wanted to see for myself what it might be like and threw it out there... Cause I just read other people saying "Waterfalls" and "faces remind me of mt rushmore" and then thought of puting it together. 2 birds with 1 stone. Haha I love the plant-beard. You know it. hilarious.

Stepanchikov: yeah I gotta stop it with these damn SF chars. But I do keep coming up with ideas for new ones which kills me. Thanks a lot man.

I'm still chuggging along. My place looks like i'm doing Domwar!!! hell, "I" look like i'm doing domwar! I'm going to need to go jogging after all this :).

I hope I have time to do the labels and graphics justice. I'm semi-poor at that sort of thing :(. And I hope if i put enough in it it will not only add character but it will really sink him in the era I want him to be in. Right now he looks classic, but then again what hipster these days don't, right? Need to push it with more undeniable icons.
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    It's not fair to talk about an update without posting an update... It's just not... I like pictures
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    The state that 3dsmax is in makes it nearly impossible to predict anything or do anything under any kind of time limit....

It was totally fine. I reset my machine and now its rapidly disappearing.
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    Damn! That sucks dude! :( I'm actually getting to that point also though. My editor is running at like 5fps and I run out of video memory at random times and the editor will have to shut down. It's gonna be interesting come the final stretch of this comp. I really hope you can make it to the finish man!
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    yeah max wont even start now.. Not sure how much all of this is worth it anymore. Shoulda been a carpenter and made real things :). Autodesk is FAIL.

Time to try merging the entire thing into a new file.. Mental ray is crashing upon render every time now. totaly freaked out. I'm sure like a beached whale, max crashed while i was closing it to reset my machine and just capsized itself.

Sucks about the editor dude. I hope you have a decent machine...

EDIT:
    Ok its acting better now that i've merged everything into a new file. Hopefuly it stays nice and stable.

Hey Tris you remember back in the day.. I used to be somewhat predictable. I could guestimate when something would be done and meet it. That has gotten worse with Max 2009 and 2010. Sometimes I just shrug like "ask autodesk".. When things go good, they go good. Then sometimes I go through phases where max just will not stop bing an SOB. Heres to 2012 being better and not keeping me at work til 10pm moving invisible verts around and flushing objs through Zbrush.

EDIT:
    I may need to cool it on the Mtn Dew
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    I dont know whats going on. Mental Ray claims tons of crashes even when i'm not rendering. Last thing I did was install Xnormal and start using Displacement in Max. Now its just a mess. Damn thing can't wait to crash, even when you hit save.
  • Bri_Spencer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That really sucks man!

I've been swinging by here daily checking out the updates,

What you have so far is super inspiring. I really hope you get it done in time.

If you need to use my PC or whatever, just lemme know. Wells has my # and msgr info if you need it.

Good luck man! Looking awesome.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Bri! Sorry my text and updates are just random. Max was really freaking out for a while but it seemed to get better when I got rid of the displacement. I never do displacement (I think this was a first). It seems doing Standard Displacement plus Mental Ray is a really bad combonation. I'm only using mental ray for now to see the model (not for final low poly renders) so its all good there..

It is strange though because it would dissapear upon loading. It would also take a very long time to load too. Max gets testy at times :) But for now it looks like things are ironed out. I'm glad (and hoping) it was just the displacement material.

Thanks again Bri.

Edit: Also I hope things were cool during the storm for you. Nothing bad in my area at all. Just heavy rains.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    You're not holding your mouth right when you start up Max.
    It's all about the correct facial gesture.
    Try pursing your lips and partially sticking out your tongue like you're trying to get that donut crumb off your mustache in the upper left corner.
    Works for me when shit hits the fan :D

I just tried this and realized I need to trim the beard back a little.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18