Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[FIGHTER] Street Fighter GUILE - seth.

Replies

• gwad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look great and clean , continue the brawl man !
    you have a great skill ;)
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Dude I know job hunting is hard, especially in this industry but contest like this one can only help your cause. It really helps to be able to see something through to the finish, I learned that in my last semester man, I had a project that I just couldn't get right, in the middle I felt like just giving it up as well, but my teacher forced me to finish it, and you know what, it came out alright! In the industry we're not going to be working on exactly what we want to all the time, you have the opportunity now to show yourself that you can do it in this environment, no matter how hard it gets. And that is something that you will appreciate for a long time. So continue on, you'll be surprised where you get with this. Plus it's looking great!
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    I'd stick it out if you can. He's looking pretty awesome. You can always tweak him more in the game mesh and textures.

I feel ya in the job search front. I got laid off twice last year. It was kind of magical.
  • stfu_donny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    digging the head sculpting variations.
  • Hellstern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellstern polycounter lvl 11
    oh no... you cant give this up!
    I just saw the last wip and for me the idea coming out reeally nice. You still have time to finish it and if i were you i'll probably regret that i stopped in a halfway.

listen to marq4porsche
    gogo~!
  • chill-lair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to repeat what people are saying. I have recently started the job hunt too. Its not easy, but like marq4porsche said, sticking with it will help. Honestly, I think I can understand where you are coming from. Its easy to get discouraged in the current job market, and personally I have found when I am discouraged, it hurts the art. So cheer up! You have a solid redesign going, just keep it up man.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    evening all,

First off thanks very much for your kind words again, I feel like a right womble, but at least I know that I'm not alone in feeling like crap while doing the apply - declined - apply declined cycle....yeah took a bit of time away from it all and have come back at it recharged, sorry that you had to all be around for my mini flip out......hehehehe I would go on however polycount is not my blog (i'm getting a bloody tattoo of that one day :) )

anyway on with Guile then, I have the low poly done now I think....11990 tri's so if I have forgotten anything then im buggered.

wip+11.jpg

did a test bake of the torso too, need to tweak a fair few areas , not enough texture resoloution in the nose area for instance, but getting there.

normaltest.jpg

enough of my rambling, just want to say thanks again for the comments folks, actually really helped me to get over myself a bit and just get on with it :)
  • Sputch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sputch polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome! Really glad you're sticking with it. This is one of my faves going right now. Try not to take the job thing personally. Seems like it's a strange time for game artists right now especially if the casual thing is not your bag. There are a lot of really talented people in my town that have been out of work for a frightening amount of time. Dubious comfort I know, but my point is you have the talent and it'll happen. Great work, keep it up.
  • Valcien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valcien polycounter lvl 18
    He ironically looks more like Bison.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Ta very much for the kind words Sputch, I think that I have my head back on now, just went through a few dark days y'know :)
    Valcien wrote: »
    He ironically looks more like Bison.

Yeah I know what you mean, that hat was both a clever idea and a complete mistake at the same time...oh well :)

anyway, Half term and monsters, and setting up a new machine mean that I have only just got the rough bakes done for this lad, I think that I will re-do the AO in some areas but I'm happy enough with the overall look. Clean-up next, then I will get to colouring in

rendered in marmoset....about 11870 after culling a few strays during the uving :)

wip+12.jpg

thanks for looking
  • cmcisaac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work man bake turned out really nice, keep going!
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    The Bake came out really well, although if you can find a few extra polys for his shoulder that sharp edge really sticks out.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Nice interpretation!!! I look forward to seeing the final texture. Your moving righ along!! I like hte smooth belt straps.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    cmcisaac: ta very much, tidying up some area's and rebaking bits of AO today oh Xnormal, how i love staring at your little green bar :)

kendo: spotted and agreed, i will get that sorted today, thanks man :)

rv_el: Thanks very much. I shall be on to textures soon I hope, although it's my weakest area, so the results might be uhm....interesting :)

throughout this whole thing I have been trying not to look at your Guile piece....just cos I know that I would end up copying it....beautiful stuff man, if I get anywhere near as good as your interpretation then I will be a happy bunny :)

kk back to baking AO then.
  • Valcien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valcien polycounter lvl 18
    Love the look, especially sans silly hair.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    thanks Valcien :)

o.k. texture progress.....most of this is 1st or no pass :) no spec yet just filling in colours.....skin hasn't been touched beyond a very basic colour from polypaint just to test the workflow. Thanks for looking :)

wip+13.jpg
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    Nice start on the diffuse! The bake came out great, I do miss his crazy hair though.
  • mitcHELL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome... i really like the color palette already
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Ark, mitcHELL.....thanks guys.....long weekend here in the UK so I have spent time visiting family and friends, burning meat and drinking beer. 4 days left!! the texturing progresses.....still got to throw a few tri's on that shoulder....I forgot about it till these shots :)

anyway pictures:
    wip+14.jpg

thanks for looking :D
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Having a good time with family and friends when you could be texturing?! How dare you!

Base colors are looking good. Can't wait to see some actual textures on him. :)
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks Maph getting there slowly... :)

Tattoo's?

what do the good folk of polycount think to more tattoo's to break up the skin a bit......i'm aprehensive at the moment cos ww1 pilots were often from more affluent families, having already had access to planes before the war even started.....hmmmm. Plus the character of guile never really had anything other than the flag......but I think that the skin needs breaking up more....wadayarecon?
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Tattoos are a good idea, although I wouldn't over do it!
    You know, maybe you can work in the flag into a much bigger design. Something oldschool and pinup-like.
    istockphoto_8873983-old-school-pinup-tattoo.jpg
    jeff+gogue+route-66-pinup-tattoo-m.jpg
    hannah+5.jpg
    mdv+pinup_jermeyupperarm%5B1%5D.jpg

etc...
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    heheheh I think that I have run out of time on the tattoo's, this is pretty much the texture final, need to rig and pose and render......but once all thats done then maybe if I have time.....heheheh.

anyway pictures:

wip+15.jpg

I will sort out the scary eyes once I have him rigged, I think that I have a habit of making the eye area too wide on my meshes...still something to sort for the next one.
    thanks for looking....its going to be a late one!!

*edit* I lie.....the skin looks awful now that I see it on the forum.....ok....lots more to do yet then :)
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    ok i think that the skin is going in the right direction.....now I need to pick up on everything else

wip+16.jpg
  • Mr_Mout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Mout null
    Great work !
    /love that pants :D

Good luck for the finishes ! :]
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    thanks very much Mr_Mout :)

well I can't rig for toffee so rather than make a mess of i9t I have decided to leave out the pose, so no official submission from me, but I did get the character finished in time at least.

Here's my finals:

final+prez.jpg

texture+flats.jpg

thanks for all the kind words and encouragement along the way folks, I feel like i learned a lot to take forward to number five, I already know some stuff that I will do differently in the future, and yet again I need to get my head around rigging......I think I have a lot to learn about texturing still first though :)