Home General Discussion

Japan is getting ROCKED

Replies

• hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    btw the news in the "foreign" media about the nuclear threat is just pure sensationalism. Japanese TV is a bit more rational.

man I hope this shit ends well. they have snow up in Sendai now, where thousands are displaced without shelter. Tokyo is without power. (you can imagine how scary that is)

we are glued to the TV and an earthquake warning is coming up every 15~30 minutes even now. Every TV channel has been news since friday, no ads, or other programs. The earthquake warning system is a global functionality (overlay to any channel) also any channel is able to be forced over to NHK1 - we just had that happen.

Basically the system here is really advanced, but nothing can stop natures desire so we have to ride it out as best we can.

Me and my girlfriend have formed a tight little survival team here, my business (dadako, facemakr etc) is probably fucked beyond repair though.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    hawken wrote: »
    Tokyo has rolling blackouts, the supermarkets are devoid of food. Theres no trains. It's not even possible to get to the airport, and if you do the airlines have hiked all the prices to over $5000 or more.

Sleeping with my boots on.
    I heard about the hikes. Now I gotta go look for myself.

Air France is $23,000. But if you really needed to GTFO, Korea is the best bet, less than $500... if you can get to the airport.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stay safe guys. Scary times... Rolling blackouts and rolling earthquakes I can't image what it's like to be in a situation like that. Do the smaller earthquakes trigger more tsunami like conditions? I saw in a lot of the footage there are pretty substantial sea walls along most of the coast, can they handle the smaller amounts of water fine and how are they holding up?

Everyone here agrees with you about the political/idiot/trolling, it's disgusting and people who post stupid things like that here, won't be suffered lightly.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's so much more I could say, if anyone wants to confirm anything specific please post here or email me at hawken.king@gmail.com if it's a serious concern for someone in Japan.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Hawken, Lamont, i feel for you both. i went to Tokyo a few years back for my birthday and just fell in love with the country, the culture, just... everything.
    anyone who has a political agenda when it comes to natural disasters is just stupid. sure, i have a largely pragmatic view, stuff happens, i can't control it nobody can, that's life... but to encourage it or to say "you deserved it" is just... wow, i can't bend my head around that.

i hope both of your businesses get back on their feet once the country gets itself sorted.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stay safe guys. Scary times... Rolling blackouts and rolling earthquakes I can't image what it's like to be in a situation like that. Do the smaller earthquakes trigger more tsunami like conditions? I saw in a lot of the footage there are pretty substantial sea walls along most of the coast, can they handle the smaller amounts of water fine and how are they holding up?

often tsunamis are something like 50cm or 1 m high and the tetrapods can handle that with ease. The this that made this one different was the earthquake pushed the americas plate up which forced a wave of (in some places) 10m high rushing back towards to Japan at the same speed as a commercial jet (some 500 mph?)

People had between 30 and 1 mins warning, based on how well the national system could relay the message (every town in Japan has loud speaker warning systems much like an air raid system)

However people there get these all the time so a few people ignored it sadly.

now they are annoucing on TV that there is a high possibility of a land slide due to the earthquake that struck 1.30hr ago.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I've been following this for a while. I hope that you guys are somewhere safe.

I just hope that the trolling around is something temporary, and that people come through and help however they can when people have been struck by nature in this way. You guys have our support and our best wishes. We will try to help in any way we can.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hey hawken and all others in japan.. wish you all the best and that this turns out as good as in any way possible!

These are pictures I haven't seen ever and I can't even imagine how it is to be there. I just can wish you all the best!
  • yeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah stay safe guys. Can't imagine what you guys have been through.

A dear friend of mine's family lives in the Fukushima coastal area. I was able to confirm the family is safe on Saturday, but haven't heard any further updates from them since. Don't know how much the nuclear threat is gonna affect them. Can only keep praying and wish for the best.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Stay safe guys!
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belias polycounter lvl 14
    too bad, is Konami ok?
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Belias wrote: »
    is Konami ok?

...really dude? Really?

The death toll has risen up to 5,692, and there are still 9,522 people missing, and you're worrying about Konami? O_o
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Oh boy, I hope you guys and Japan in general get out of this situation without further suffering.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    my condolences, so fucked up right now. wish you all the best.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    My condolences to everyone! This whole situation is just... unimaginable. An earthquake of 9.0, followed by a tsunami, then the nuclear power problem and now the lack of electricity and the need to feed and to give shelter to the thousands of people that have nowhere to go. No one deserves that, and definitely not Japan so please, be superior and ignore the trolls!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    This is a cartoon made to explain the nuclear situation to the kids in Japan...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sakN2hSVxA&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    This is a cartoon made to explain the nuclear situation to the kids in Japan...

And for the people outside of japan currently buying up as much iodine tablets as they can.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    And for the people outside of japan currently buying up as much iodine tablets as they can.
    And iodized table salt... Remember 3.5lbs is what it takes to equal a tablet of potassium iodide. I can guarantee that it won't be the radiation that kills you...

http://www.vpr.net/npr/134622500/
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    yeah damn salt buyers. they bought all the salt here in the local supermarkets :/ welcome to the 3rd world, where a text-message rumor can wreak havoc. Some people even wonder if we all have to die.... *sighs* and we're like 3000km away here.

Mind you, two years ago garlic was sold out country wide out because of some rumor and the resulting hoarding and speculating...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Kwramm wrote: »
    yeah damn salt buyers. they bought all the salt here in the local supermarkets :/ welcome to the 3rd world, where a text-message rumor can wreak havoc. Some people even wonder if we all have to die.... *sighs* and we're like 3000km away here.

Mind you, two years ago garlic was sold out country wide out because of some rumor and the resulting hoarding and speculating...

Cat-sand contains it too, please let these people know.

Also, my thoughts have been with japan this week, so many bad things. I hope the temperature gets better.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Cat-sand contains it too, please let these people know.

Also, my thoughts have been with japan this week, so many bad things. I hope the temperature gets better.

Wow, so incase of a massive nuclear disaster that affects the entire world, we'll be able to point out all the idiots by looking for people who choked to death on cat-sand?
    Amazing.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Wow, so incase of a massive nuclear disaster that affects the entire world, we'll be able to point out all the idiots by looking for people who choked to death on cat-sand?
    Amazing.

If they'd rather use their money on that instead of sending it to organizations that can help the people currently suffering in japan, then yes, they can choke on cat sand.

In a worst case scenario, fukushima-region will be hit hard, not the rest of the world.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    hawken wrote: »
    btw the news in the "foreign" media about the nuclear threat is just pure sensationalism. Japanese TV is a bit more rational.

Yeah, they keep talking about meltdowns and 'what if' scenarios, which is the typical scare tactic news. I'm more concerned about what Japan will do for power, once they get these reactors controlled. They are all basically wasted now. I'm also glad to hear that Japan is finally allowing some help from the US on controlling these reactors. Not to say that the US knows more, but just glad to see they are welcoming more help/ideas.

It is hard to see a country like Japan go through this. I've made a Red Cross donation, but that's not nearly enough. I wish there was more I could do to help
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    istock are MATCHING your donation if you donate through them, very nice of them, will probably be donating with them.

http://www.istockphoto.com/

Also Bungie have designed a wristband which I am definitely going for

http://www.bungiestore.com/

I'm a little dissapointed that Valve is not doing something like this too...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well damn, I wish I had seen the iStock offer earlier. Doubling a donation is very generous.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I get a 404 error when I try to go into that page, shenanigans? :(
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japanese engineers feel that the meltdown is imminent, so they are now considering burying the reactors with sand and cement, and also putting cement shells over that.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing that bothers me with the "lets spray water on something we can't see" is that they are creating steam that carries radioactive material into the air if they are hitting their target. Also what if the water is leaking out instead of boiling off. Now you're mixing toxic soup and not knowing where its going.

They need to be worried about their mess escaping into the ground as much as they need to be worried about radiation in the air. Plans to seal it above ground are great, but the need to make sure their problem isn't going to move to places they cant see.

Learn something from Handford, please... don't make the same mistakes.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Their last ditch effort was to restore power to the cooling loops for the reactors, but that didn't work... they might be too damaged from the explosions to work I guess.

You are right, the water dumps dispersed into a fine mist before they could even reach the reactors.

The containers are made so that the melted fuel rods can't burn through the bottoms, so that shouldn't be TOO big of a concern.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    The thing that bothers me with the "lets spray water on something we can't see" is that they are creating steam that carries radioactive material into the air if they are hitting their target. Also what if the water is leaking out instead of boiling off. Now you're mixing toxic soup and not knowing where its going.

They need to be worried about their mess escaping into the ground as much as they need to be worried about radiation in the air. Plans to seal it above ground are great, but the need to make sure their problem isn't going to move to places they cant see.

Learn something from Handford, please... don't make the same mistakes.

The steam cannot carry the particles in any dangerous way, which is why different places are getting readings that aren't anywhere close to dangerous, details on that available elsewhere.

Everything still seems to go back and forth over there, with reactor 5 and 6 apparently controlled now, and I've heard mixed news on if they started getting cooling systems back, or if it was further delayed.

The problem as I see it is that radiation wouldn't suddenly shower all of japan with death, it is that the more of it at the plant, as shown with the radiation from reactor 4 pool, makes it impossible for people to work there.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Possible worst case scenario from Dr. Michael Allen, vice provost for research and dean of graduate studies at Middle Tennessee State University, spent much of his early career at Sandia National Labs studying nuclear reactor accidents of the worst kind and performing simulations to better understand how bad things happen -- including core meltdowns.
    Allen agrees with reports that explosions caused by a hydrogen buildup likely blew the roof off the outer containment buildings at least two of the reactor sites, exposing pools that store highly radioactive spent nuclear fuel rods to the environment. But, based on reports he's heard or read, he thinks the explosion that occurred March 14 at the Daiichi Unit 2 reactor was a steam explosion inside the reactor pressure vessel that probably occurred when part of the exposed fuel core melted and allowed some of the liquefied fuel or super-hot fragments to drop into the water below.

"When that happens, you're going to have a massive steam explosion, which creates extremely high pressure in the reactor pressure vessel," Allen said. As has been noted in various news reports, the pressure dropped inside the reactor and radiation levels outside the unit rose significantly at about that time. That, he said, would seem to support conjecture that the vessel protecting the nuclear core may have been damaged or possibly ruptured and released some of the radioactive constituents.

"I've done many of these experiments," he said. "When you drop a molten core into water, there's a big explosion."

The worst of the worst could come if Japan can't come up with a way to sufficiently cool down the reactor fuel cores. That has reportedly become increasingly difficult with workers evacuating the sites -- at least temporarily -- because of high radiation fields.

"These things play out over a long period of time, longer than people would think," Allen said. "You have an earthquake that lasts maybe a minute, a tsunami that lasts maybe 15 minutes. But these things could go on for months. You could lose all six of the reactors."

If workers are unable to get additional cooling water into the reactor vessel, the molten fuel core will collapse into the water in bottom of the vessel. Eventually the heat from the decaying fuel would boil away the water that's left, leaving the core sitting on the vessel's lower head made of steel.

Should that happen, "It'll melt through it like butter," Allen said.

That, in turn, would cause a "high-pressure melt injection" into the water-filled concrete cavity below the reactor. Because the concrete would likely be unheated, the reaction created by the sudden injection of the reactor's ultra-hot content would be immense, he said.

"It'll be like somebody dropped a bomb, and there'll be a big cloud of very, very radioactive material above the ground," Allen said, noting that it would contain uranium and plutonium, as well as the fission products.

Should these events happen, the best outcome would be if the winds are blowing east and push the radioactive plume over the Pacific Ocean, he said. "It (the radioactivity) will fall out in the ocean and everything will be fine," he said.

The worst case, Allen said, would be if winds pushed a radioactive cloud south toward Tokyo and Japan's highly populated cities. If that were to happen, he said, the consequences would likely be greater than the 1986 accident at Chernobyl, where an entire area of Ukraine had to be evacuated because of the radioactive conditions that increased the risk of developing cancer.

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/munger/2011/03/ex-sandia-engineer-talks-about.html
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    NEW YORK (Reuters) - Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) said Friday it has connected the external transmission line with the stricken Daiichi nuclear power plant in Japan and confirmed that electricity can be supplied.

In a statement, the company said, "It planned to supply Unit 2 first, followed by Unit 1, Unit 3 and Unit 4 ... because Unit 2 is expected to be less damaged."

Hoping things turn to the better.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    really feel for those poor engineers getting dangerous levels of radiation trying to save the day
  • RexM
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    RexM wrote: »

Dailymail is uk's main gossip magazine though isn't it?, lots of doom and gloom.

What I posted above is newer info.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The difference is though, is that the link I posted actually comments on the current situation over at the Fukushima plant. :\
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dailymail is uk's main gossip magazine though isn't it?

Pretty much, it's one of the more 'readable' tabloids, but it is still exactly that; a tabloid. The media here have been massively dramatising it. I heard an interview on the radio with a Japanese exchange student speaking about it, and they pretty much cut her off as soon as she said 'it's very bad, but it's not as bad as some have been led to believe'.

What makes me sad is that Japan seem to want to take responsibility or feel like they've 'failed'... when it was just nature doing it's thing.

As I mentioned, I think given the sheer scale of this disaster, they've coped with it 100x better than a lot of the rest of the world could ever dream of... certainly Britain. I can't imagine how much of a mess we'd be in if something similar struck here.

Stay strong guys.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Yea, it's amazing how awesome Japan is handling this situation, very calmly, serious and professional. And it's amazing how they feel like they need to take responsibility like Creation said. Those people working in the reactors trying to save the lives of all those people and keeping the place afloat, I do believe.. are heroes.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    See, that's the odd thing. I thought once they pumped in the sea water, it was contaminated and could no longer be used. I also suspect that they'll have some openings in their protective shells. I'm not a nuclear engineer though ;) Hope all goes well though. They need something to start going in a positive direction there.

And yes, as much as society seems to throw around the word 'hero', I think these guys would actually fit the bill. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be anywhere near that place.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    notman wrote: »
    See, that's the odd thing. I thought once they pumped in the sea water, it was contaminated and could no longer be used. I also suspect that they'll have some openings in their protective shells. I'm not a nuclear engineer though ;) Hope all goes well though. They need something to start going in a positive direction there.

And yes, as much as society seems to throw around the word 'hero', I think these guys would actually fit the bill. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be anywhere near that place.

The seawater thing is a longterm corrosive damage, meaning, it wouldn't be safe long term to use those reactors again in the future.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    notman wrote: »
    Yeah, they keep talking about meltdowns and 'what if' scenarios, which is the typical scare tactic news.

yep. makes me feel really ashamed of our "western" media, that they have nothing better to do that sensationalist news, which leads people to do stupid things (like buying tons of geiger counters and salt), Then in comparison Japan, the country where people should really worry - everything is calm and rational there instead
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Kwramm wrote: »
    yep. makes me feel really ashamed of our "western" media, that they have nothing better to do that sensationalist news, which leads people to do stupid things (like buying tons of geiger counters and salt), Then in comparison Japan, the country where people should really worry - everything is calm and rational there instead

And the sad thing is that they know exactly what they're doing, they're making a ton of money from this.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    They should send in some makeshift robots that could get close enough to do some surveillance, maybe even weld or cement some cracks.

Much better than sending people there, with those white suits (Hazmat?).
  • ErichWK
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    21ec27b.png

Is that for real? Or is it some completely separate, unharmed section of road?

I gotta say, either way, I'm amazed at some of the stuff I'm reading concernin Japan's handling of this.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone in here earlier said that they were disappointed that Valve wasn't doing anything to help out Japan while a few other studios were.

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=5170&p=1
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    That's not really Valve doing anything about it, it's still the people you know?

Still a good idea, all help is good help.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's not really Valve doing anything about it, it's still the people you know?

Still a good idea, all help is good help.

How is that not Valve doing anything? They're creating the items, putting them on their store and giving hundreds of thousands of players incentive to donate when they probably wouldn't otherwise. I wouldn't expect them to just donate a ton of money out of their own pockets. They're definitely going to raise more through this than Bungie is going to through selling $5 wristbands.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that road thing is real btw