Home General Discussion

Crysis 2 Demo

Replies

• THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    After i tried to for ma Squad with my brothers neither of us can start a game anymore. Were just sitting there waiting iside the lobby for the map to start. No countdown or anything. Did you experiance this too? It worked perffectly like 3 hours aggo before we formed a squad.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    @THE 5: yea... i wanted to try the game this morning and the game just sat there in the lobby... people came and left, we all thought someone must be a lobby leader and he can start the game... but he either never pressed the button... or the game won't start until there are enough people in the lobby... kinda lame so far.
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    Yesterday (after I finaly got my brothers accounts set up) the game worked like a charm. A new day, a new problem :p
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    A good demo should encourage you and hype you on getting the game... not make you realize that the game is not done, and that you hope it will be better on release.
  • dregoloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @glottis8: I completely agree, and if they used a unified build for the demo, they probably shouldn't have. It's fun to play and looks great, but it's just not what I expected.
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Am I the only one who objects to the crazy amount of motion blur?

So many issues with this, I doubt I'll buy it, unless the single player kicks ass and it's confirmed by many reviews.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had to uninstall today. In my stats it shows I've been on multiplayer for 45 minutes, yet I have still not been able to get in game. Changed my NAT settings, lowered firewall, made sure all my cords were connect (even though other games work). :(
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1153248p1.html

sounds like they are planning on releasing it with only the limited graphics options, but might consider adding more options if people bitch about it a bunch before release. dx 11 announcement is coming soon, form the way the article was written it sounds like that will be post release too.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Dim wrote: »
    Am I the only one who objects to the crazy amount of motion blur?

So many issues with this, I doubt I'll buy it, unless the single player kicks ass and it's confirmed by many reviews.

I wish the motion blur was barely noticeable, it feels like I'm on acid.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks great and fun but when I play it the motion blur is totally out of wack.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Just saw this cryengine3 tech showcase that i felt was pretty cool!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-11-cryengine-3/711208
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12

cryengine 3 cinema, that is interesting, there is really benefits over using a realtime engine than rendering everything? looks pretty good :)

This other thing with limiting graphics on release sucks, but I haven't heard anything about cryengine 3 dx10/dx11 features
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16

That live editing connection between cryengine / maya .... Mind officially blown
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seeing the license demo video, I am still surprised w/ everything Cryengine offers. More companies haven't really bought into it yet.

I sure hope they will offer soon the Cry UDK style free engine. Also, I think I need to change my underwear! :P
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    CrazyMatt wrote: »
    Seeing the license demo video, I am still surprised w/ everything Cryengine offers. More companies haven't really bought into it yet.

I sure hope they will offer soon the Cry UDK style free engine. Also, I think I need to change my underwear! :P

that showcase was pretty interesting, the liscenee showing wasnt really impressive at all until you got to the crysis 2 footage. their other demo with the maya stuff and that car setup was cool though. some of the mmo stuff looked pretty brutal but that probably has to do more with horrible art direction than anything.
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice wrote: »
    cryengine 3 cinema, that is interesting, there is really benefits over using a realtime engine than rendering everything? looks pretty good :)

Its cheaper, quicker and much easier to iterate on.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    On the bright side, I do like the engine, it makes me look forward to Nexuiz more. I don't have a problem with the motion blur either even if it's excessive, its at least working on low framerates.

I can't stand the gameplay of the new Crysis game online though. Not sure if I'll ever see a 'punchcamp' in its future. It's a bit... below my expectations.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice wrote: »

I do a lot of architectural and product pre-visualizations for the university that I work for, and I showed this to my boss today, who also loved it. It's pretty frequent that a client asks us to change just one or two small things in a render that took days to complete (less light over here, can the floors be a different shade of tan?). The real-time feedback and workflow would be amazing! :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    3DLee wrote: »
    I do a lot of architectural and product pre-visualizations for the university that I work for, and I showed this to my boss today, who also loved it. It's pretty frequent that a client asks us to change just one or two small things in a render that took days to complete (less light over here, can the floors be a different shade of tan?). The real-time feedback and workflow would be amazing! :)

That's why I love rendering our in passes, you can adjust somethings on the fly, obvious things like light bouncing could be off if it was a drastic change, but you can basically change anything from the intensity of some reflections to the color of a chair, on the fly.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    pior wrote: »
    But if you consider tessellation and the fact that it's not a "magic" feature since it means authoring an extra (height) map for every asset, not necessarily fitting inside the memory or shader ops budget of their scalable engine ... then it just makes sense to not have it, right ? Even crease-based tessellation can be a nightmare to work with when applying it to a reasonable game-density mesh.

I mean if you just "turn on" tessellation on everything without specifically making assets tailored for the tech you just end up with spaghetti limbs and disney-like fire hydrants. It looks great in bumpy tech demos, but I don't think it has such a big places in actual games.

And assets like FPS guns occupying 25% of the screen simply look better with more density right from the start, so no need to subdivide any further really.

Again I am not saying that tessellation sucks - just saying that if this is the big point supporting the DX11 argument, then in the case of Crysis2 it simply is irrelevant!

How do we know it's not a magical feature yet? Is the jury already out?
    Did I miss the long thread where we all put our collected heads together to figure all the back alleys and possible workflow discoveries?
    Because finding the great "Tessellation is here now what can we manage?" thread has been numero uno on my list for the past 3 months.
    On the bright side...
    Even if there is no sandbox with DirectX 11 exposed for the tess exploration to begin. With samaritin now @ GDC perhaps Epic will finally re-introduce all the hidden dx11 features recently buried. ( anyone @ GDC who did the epic meetings? )
    http://www.gamephys.com/2011/03/03/epic-shows-off-unreal-engine-3-samaritan-tech-demo-video-coming-next-week/

Also.
    If we are not going to git overly excited over tessellation, then it's pretty much certain that nothing amazing will ever come from it.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I got to play a little last night. The graphics look great, and the maps were well laid out, but the suit limitations were kinda wack.
    I thoroughly disliked this demo.Teams are too similar, simple color differences make the game confusing, not enough distinctino between the factions.

Agree 100%.

More than once, I didn't know if I was supposed to shoot a dude. Shot one of my teammates once.
    Running and jumping draws from your suit energy? Yeah lets make the game even less fun to play.

Again, I totally agree with you.

Energy drain is way to fast. Stealth runs out way to soon.

All in all, I'm not a MP gamer, so I don't care much, but if they tweak a few things, I could see MP being more fun to play.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I like the energy bar, if there was much more people could cloak and sprint out of every firefight, I hate how jumping drains soooo much though. At first I hated the cloak, but now its pretty easy to spot. I love skyline, that map is way too fun for me, shooting through destructible walls and jumping and sliding between everything, once I added crouch, melee, and nano vision to my mouse I started doing a lot better. Maybe I don't mind the cheese because I played so much tf2.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    just played the PC version..pretty sweet..I really dug it
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    I've been playing it today and yeah, it's actually really fun once you fix the default bindings. Same story as ZacD really, once i tagged nanovision and melee to the sidebuttons on my mouse i was having a lot more success and a lot more fun. I'll probably put alternate firing mode onto middle click as well, 2 on the keyboard is hardwired into my head as select weapon 2.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I found the game pretty fun, and i think the nanosuit is well balanced.
    Would be nice to play with some polycounters, so feel free to add me as a friend in crysis :)

My nickname is: Stromberg90
    Big surprise i know ;)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Tried this out on the 360, liked it. Not like COD at all, you feel much more mobile. Not great resolution, I don't think Cryengine is really showing its stuff with this demo, will wait and see till I have the full game in hand. Could be the very desaturated palette, I found the same with Crysis 1, wasn't a huge fan of the art direction.

Also lol at anyone who has a problem differentiating friend from foe in this game. Friendlies have big blue arrows over their heads guys! :D
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    It's because the city of Frankfurt has a natural desaturation of 75%. So to the developers it's all in full color glory. I regularly tell them this. :)
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cholden is right. Looks more colorful than Frankfurt :D (expect when it's christmas market).