Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Scott Homer - Environment Artist

Replies

• sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Haha, well ok. That explains it then. But i just feel it's missing that last little touch. Maybe try out some matte scratches or something?
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    yeah I don't think I am digging those figerprints. Feels more like someone had Vaseline all over their finger and they were poking the gun and trying to only touch it with their finger tips? lol I think if the gun were being handled by a greasy sweaty person they would be more like large smudges and smears. You wouldn't be able to so easily distinguish them as fingerprints.

Keep it up man!
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for not getting back to you guys! Ive been snowed under for the last couple of months. Ill definitely try to address those issues with the fingerprints and what not after my final hand in tomorrow. I really like that gun, so id quite like to give it those additional little bits of spit and polish and finish it off.

Soooo, ive pretty much been inactive as far as "games art" is concerned for a while, my course demands that I create a pre-rendered games trailer, so I decided that id work in a freelance capacity to try and help 3 films come together. I figured it would help me learn to juggle lots of projects at once and it posed a great yet enjoyable challenge. Anywhoo, my final hand in is tomorrow so i put together a little montage of all my work to prove that ive not been sitting on my ass for the last few months!

I hope you guys like it!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZSaxPlieZE[/ame]
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    well this is news to me. i always read your name as Scott Horner (cuz the rn close together looks like an m. lol).

awesome reel. did you display screens of your props because of personal preference (as opposed to turntables), or is that what your university wanted to see?
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahaha, Nah its full on Scott Homer, I use my real name so I have to make sure everything that I say is what I mean, no hiding behind alter egos.

This is just for the sake of university, to prove that ive been working my ass off the last few months and to make sure I get the grade that I deserve. Alot of this work wont actually be reaching my final reel, but I figured some of your polycounters would appreciate seeing what I have been working on!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    ah. well, much appreciated. :D hoping i can be that good by the time i put in my final reel for university
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your work is already is awesome dude, just keep polishing it up and you'll be onto a winner. :D
  • Addieo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats on the job! Your games course looks a lot more intense and free than the one I've just finished. What were your modules like?
  • pixpixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott, your work is so inspiring and amazing! I have been lurking on this thread for quite sometime. I wanted to say congratulations on getting your dream job working with the Crysis team. :)

I wanted to ask a few questions about a couple of models, first your Mossburg 500 high poly model, first let me say the details are so impressive. I was wondering how you created these details what is the process of the small details on the high poly model to illustrate what I mean I have taken a screenshot and highlighted an area the details you have here in your model that really stand out and gives your model that "wow" factor:

29wpp8i.jpg

Also what was the process of creating the detail on your Golf Cart Seat:

2k1ppv.jpg

And also I was wondering a few questions on your showreel, during your showing of your complete models how did you move to a transition to a wire frame while still showing your detail like a animated wireframe that appears and then disappears while your showcasing a model.

I would be more that grateful if you could answer these questions, since I am a student I just finished my 2nd year on my games art course. If you can answer my questions it would be helpful since I am currently in the process of creating my showreel.

This is also my first post on polycount. :poly136:
  • pixpixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT: Double Post Delete please
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya buddy! sorry for not getting back to you (I completely missed your reply!) ive been alittle busy with work/a personal project im currently putting together.

Hmm, well alot of the details I created are fairly simple, mostly created on a plane and then deformed into shape using the bend modifier or even FFD so that I can align the details with the mesh. The grip on the shotgun's torch was created by dividing up a plane evenly and then chamfering every edge so that I have a waffle shape. I then used various techniques to grab every middle part of waffle shape and delete the rest of the shape around it. Once I applied turbosmooth to that it gave me the little uniform bumps you can see above.

For the chair I modelled the lumpy shape using several photo references as backplates (including stuff from cgtextures) and then used the bend modifier to deform the shape accordingly around the chair's general shape.

For the scrolling wireframes, its simply a mask in after effects that moves linearly across the images, masking and unmasking the wireframe as it goes.

Hope I could be of some help, you've asked some pretty big questions so ive done my best to answer them without writing an essay. Give me a shout if you need anything else and id be more than happy to help!

+ cheers for the congratulations dude, ive been here for a few months and its amazing. :D Keep working hard and put your art up here as much as possible and im sure you'll be working in no time!