• R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    It would be nice to see a wireframe of the butt of gun
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phew, spent yesturday texturing and did a couple of touch ups/improvements on the specular map this morning. The shotgun is pretty much finished, although if anyone has any good critique ill obviously make those improvements.

Ive tried to capture the look of powder coated metal, the matte, rough kind, however in the film im working on the guns need alittle personality and they have to look used, so ive tried to factor that in aswell.

I included some wires of the stock for you Ryswick! (sorry for being late to get back to you)

shotguntexturedwebsite.jpg

Also threw together some alloy wheels for the other film im working on:
    tyre.jpg
  • Limewax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Limewax polycounter lvl 6
    I'd like to take a moment to thank you: It is because of you, right here, in this thread, that I am going from lurker to a registered member. Beyond that, I aspire to achieve what you've done in such a short amount of time... I, myself, am in a college right now that is struggling to grasp a bearing on what actually needs to be produced for this industry's education path... that being said, I have a lot I need to catch up on and you are that much more of an inspiration to me. Thanks.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really? That's really sweet dude, glad I could inspire you to get involved, im sure everyone would love your opinion on their work, get posting!

All I can say really is, Hertfordshire University has been a great influence in my development as an artist. Hint hint, Wink wink.
    Cheers for the kind words dude, you should get a work-in-progress thread up so everyone can see what you are working on!

Scott.
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    new stuff looks cool! I feel that the shotgun has a bit too much noise all around though. think you should focus a bit on better material definition. would really help your work. :)
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Danm man! i loose track of you for a while to come back and see all this amazing pieces being done!! I got some catching up to do with my personal stuff at home! lol.

See, now is me going..Scott FUcking Homer!!!

Btw, congrats!
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TDub - Heya Dude, thanks for the input, I think alot of my work suffers from that noisy effect. Its mostly in my over use of the sharpen filter in PS I reckon, I need address that I really do. In this latest piece (the shotgun) I actually added the grain to the specular in order to create the look of "sand blasted" metal (not powder coated as I said before). cheers for pointing that out, I think when you've developed a bad habit, it becomes quite hard to spot it.

Here was the type of material I was going for:
    il_fullxfull.100310099.jpg
    il_fullxfull.96173668.jpg

you know the type of metal you get on some watches? I dunno if ive managed to capture that, but the diffuse map itself is actually quite devoid of noise, its all in the specular. (and quite easy to tone down too.)

@Raul.

Ahaha, im like a green beret, sneaking in and out of polycount under the radar. Planting my 3D's onto the web. Im glad you like what ive been spewing out. Most of this is work im doing for my final year film(S) at University so im really chucking stuff out. I think people are suprised im still bothering now that I know ive got a job to go to, but hey I gotta make sure that I keep on-top of my game for when i get to Crytek in may. I do wish I could spend alittle more time on each prop, but ive got so little time and so much to do :(

Im not gunna argue with you doing more personal stuff, buttt, you always seem to have the same ideas as me (well I seem to have the same ones as you, ie. I started making a high poly chainsaw in the summer, then I saw yours....)

tallahassee.jpg

Thank you for the congratulations Raul, its really been a crazy journey, I cant wait to sink my teeth into some real work.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Great stuff bro. I am curious what you used to render the shotgun? Marmoset or 3ds max shader I'm guessing?
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Striff, sorry for not mentioned it, yeah Marmoset is my tool of choice! The High poly was rendered from 3dsmax using Mental ray.

Your display picture excites me. Love a good mullet.
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    Scott, you stuff looks tip top! I really wish you luck at Crytek!
  • matt6358
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    matt6358 polycounter lvl 10
    Inspiring work! Congratz :D
  • Shaffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet man, will definitely watch your work as you go to Crytek. Whats with the scratches on the inside of the wheel? They seem like they wouldn't be there.

The finish your talking about in those photos I believe to be "parkerizing". I read a lot about it before on a forum where a guy wanted to parkerize his car body panels haha. Keep up the good work.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    scotthomer wrote: »
    Cheers Striff, sorry for not mentioned it, yeah Marmoset is my tool of choice! The High poly was rendered from 3dsmax using Mental ray.

Your display picture excites me. Love a good mullet.

Haha, glad you enjoy a good mullet too. What presets are you using in Marmoset? What types of lights are you adding to the scene?
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    You have some fantastic stuff throughout this thread. It's been a real joy watching it progress. Congrats on Crytek as well!
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zelenkov - thanks dude, im glad you like what im churning out. Ive followed your work for some time, so it means alot getting some good feedback from you (and all the other people who have taken the time to give me feedback on this thread).

@Matt - Cheers buddy. :D

@Shaffer, Erm, the scratches are me being rushed off my ass, ive sorted them out now. Cheers for spotting that, ive got so many props to make with so little time to do it. Would like to spend more time getting the metal definition sorted and what not. Oh well. I may actually put together a test for myself soon to get some material definitions down using various spec maps and what not.

parkerizing! Cheers for that, ive been raking my mind for what its called, i love that texture. Well yeah that's the kinda thing i was going for on the shotgun.

The wheel is loosely based off:
    MO1780_l.jpg

@Striff - Erm, im not really using any, just the sunlight with a 3 point light set up with blues and yellows really. Nothing special. I tend to just tweak until i like it.

@Paul. thanks dude, im really trying to keep ontop of things, i think already over the space of a few months you can see atleast slight improvement. Mostly thanks to the awesome crits on here and 3Dhit.co.uk. Your work blows my mind btw Paul. I hate you for that... :P

Anyway, something im working on for "Zombliteration" on of the films im helping on. Its been abit rushed due to the fact I need to have an entire garage scene textured by tuesday. But im quite happy with the direction its going in atleast. Its about 3500 polys in total, which granted is alot, however its for a pre-rendered film so i need to keep the detail semi-high poly to ensure that it fits in with the semi-realistic look the group are aiming for.
    As always, crits are welcomed.
    workbench.jpg
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Looks good. Normal map is a bit strong on the lamp though, on the dents.

Do you use a lot of grunge brushes in your texture work?
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for spotting that dude, id put the wrong normal map onto it!
    (tired-ness for you)
    Here you go, FIXED!

EDIT, UPDATED VERSION (CLICK HERE FOR OLDER VERSION BEFORE EZMEOW's CRITS)
    cletus.jpg
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    You should tune down your sharpen. way too much strong IMO.
    Then get a consistent light : you got a lamp that doesn't seems to cast any light, and the specular on your objects indicate that the light source is coming from 3 light source somewhere else.(which is confirmed by the casted shadow on your previous screen O.o)
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Your great Scott, keep it up
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IMAGE IN POST ABOVE UPDATED, CLICK LINK BELOW TO SEE OLDER VERSION.
    EzMeow wrote: »
    You should tune down your sharpen. way too much strong IMO.
    Then get a consistent light : you got a lamp that doesn't seems to cast any light, and the specular on your objects indicate that the light source is coming from 3 light source somewhere else.(which is confirmed by the casted shadow on your previous screen O.o)

Yeah, you're right. It is wayyy too sharp, ive lowered that, and instantly i think there is some improvement.

My original lighting set up was something that I had kinda put together as I went along to try and get some responses out of the materials, I have tried to sort it out somewhat, ive removed one of the sources, increased the intensity of the light from the lamp, added a fill light (well, sunlighting to a low degree to give some element of global illumination) and left a blue-y key-light to give some soft contrast to the lighting (so its not just yellow on yellow).

Better?
    NEW VERSION
    OLD VERSION

Thanks for the crits EzMeow, noone else ive shown picked up on that at all, any other thoughts? (im happy to change it).

@Johhny, Cheers buddy, I feel like this one is kicking my ass though. Sigh, never good when one gets ontop of you. Ill sort it out..
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    No problem, I mean do the best you can, it pays off in the long run , you'll do perfectly fine bud :)
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    Holy shit taking back the sharpen made a HUGE difference looks kickass now :)
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    Yo! dis thread is awsome and made of sex and ice cream! Ive read the whole thing and saved some of your pics to my hard drive!

You rock socks and went pro and your onely 20! I wish I was as motivated as you at that age, Im almost 22 and I only started going full speed ahead almost 5 months ago when I finaly dicided what I wanted to do in life (I have alot to learn; I dont know WTF some of these terms your using are). This was partialy because my father discouraged the arts and promoted a more engineering/factory line of work but why would I want to grind through a job to make a living when I could love what I do? So I enlisted in the militarty to get out of my parents house and zone in on my skills without distraction.

Your success story is extreamly motivating and is a testament to what hard work and determination can do. A 3:00 am energy drink toast to you sir, someday I hope to be in your situation!

Ps: what is proplus? I looked it up and found out it was a penis enlargment supplement.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    It looks like you're not terminating any loops. That's very costly. I reckon removing this shaves off a couple hundred triangles without changing the shape at all:
    mossberg.jpg
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    scotthomer: I just wanted to say, there's no reason why you won't do just fine in the industry. Not that I speak from experience, but I've seen people with a fraction of your ability make it in without much fuss.
    Rock on, broski.
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    I think your render in post 116 looks a lot better then the other ones.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @aajohnny - Yeah, if there is one thing ive learned over the last 3/4 years its perseverance, so ill keep at it. I definately think that the improved lighting/lower sharpening has improved it.

@gibson543 - Hell yeah it did, I cant take credit for that though, was good crits.

@RJBonner - ahaha, sex and lots of icecream, a good friday night!

Thanks dude, im glad you find my work inspirational. I am very motivated and determined, plus I really really love what I do (which helps when you're working round the clock). Im glad you've finally found what you want to do, 22 isnt old at all. I know several people who are at uni that are in their late 30's and early 40's, so you're not really behind at all. I had a similar experience with my family, so moving away to university was the best thing for me. Dont get me wrong, my family really supported me, but being away from the distractions of home has defiantely helped. Im sorry to hear that your father doesnt see the value in games, but im sure he'll understand in the long run. The military is a big step, but if it allows you to do your 3D in peace then im sure that'l help. Keep your head down though yeah? Dont be a hero!

Whilst pro-plus might make your schlong bigger, its actually an energy tablet in the uk, similar size to the contraceptive pill, but its made of caffine. Its legal and they sell it over the counter. I go through a box a week!
    Good luck in the future dude, take care in the Army.

@ Snader. - Cheers for your critique, its been so helpful. (seriously helped me with my low poly modelling, we've never been taught anything like this at University, so im really grateful for the help) you were right, ive dropped near enough 200 polys thanks to this help. I feel abit of an amateur for not spotting this in the past, but i tend to model in quads out of habit, so terminating loops is alien to me.

here is the result:
    improvedtopology.jpg

@Makkon - Ahaha cheers dude, im really looking forward to getting stuck in, being around inspirational people every day is going to improve my toolset considerably id imagine. Thanks for the confidence boost, its always good to hear. Ive been following your sketchpad for sometime, I apologise for not commenting, but I have little I could say of value. Great work.

@Serp - Hmm, id have disagree on this one, I definitely think the lowered sharpen plus the improved lighting as Ezmeow suggested has improved the scene considerably. I think its a taste thing though.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    goddamn Scott I always wondered where you got your powers, now I know!

*chucks away blue bolt*

PRO-PLUS.
  • se7ered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scott : the one that that is really standing out to me...on your mosberg the part where the shells would eject is too flush...that piece of metal should be deeper...your models are really tight tho...excellent work

Pogo : I'd never seen that article on materials before...pretty awesome stuff...thanks!
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    See how you did the white outline for the wrenches? Do the same for the screw drivers. To many parallel lines in their.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    yo man I have 2 questions. (sorry 4 the thread bump.)

What is the adress for that U.K 3d site that you frequent? and are pro plus these; http://www.worldclassnutrition.com/proplus1.html, or are they just an ordinary caffiene pill?
    if so those things are expensive as hell!
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fearian - My entire diet is pretty much Energy drink, coffee, subway and proplus. 3D fuel!

@ Se7ered - You're right, the reason for this is that the film this is being used in doesn't need to see the shells being ejected or the action moving, so I didnt work the action into it as it was unneccesary. I am going to look into making the chamber alittle deeper, either by cutting the action out and working it into the mesh, or ill see if I can increase the depth of the normal map and increase the AO around that part of the mesh. Good spot though, I shouldve really made that clear.

@Whats_True - You're right, ill sort that out. It was distracting, I just couldn't see what the issue was, shouldnt be too much effort at all to change. Thanks for that. Loving Bioshock Infinate btw. :D

@Rj Bonner - Not at all, im really really busy atm, so I apologise for not getting back to people, I try not to post without any updated work, but at the moment, ive got a deadline on tuesday so im putting in long hours atm.

(trying to not cross-advertise) the UK forum I use is 3DHit.co.uk, its the website for my university and the 3D games art course, its a great place to get critique and has nurtured me from the start of my 3D career (I have a 40 page thread on there that i tend to update daily). Games Art wise however, Polycount is where its at.

The pills we're talking about are these: Pro-plus, caffine tablets The are cheap as hell and are sold everywhere, they arent like some miracle cure, they are alittle bit like tablet forms of a cup of coffee.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    You uni forum is awesome compared to the crap we have to deal with (staffs) :p It seems no one on ours likes giving/recieving crits on. Keep up the amazing work btw.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, I agree skill. Scott, be careful with energy tablets man, there is more to life than just 3D haha.
  • sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome artwork :). Congrats on landing the job and all the best in the industry.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Ye just a heads up, be very careful with caffeine tablets. They aren't free energy and do put a lot of strain on your heart. In fact a few weeks ago I read a story of a man at a party who thought it would be a good idea to eat a spoon full of caffeine and died minutes later from a heart attack.

I mainly mention this because I recommended them and wouldn't want you to take to many. Also when taking large amounts of caffeine you will start to get massive head aches when not having it in your system.

But anyway...

meanwhileinrussia4.jpg
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    Red rooster sugar free for me, as ICHII said be careful with those.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bugger! I didnt realise I had these replies, sorry I wasnt being intentionally ignorant, was obviously in a sugar coma or something.

@Skillmaster, I quite liked Staffs uni when I went, but i decided against going. Hertfordshire university has been great for me, I put alot of work in and the lecturers are quite willing to put equal amounts of time in helping you out too. We have cool industry talks and fairly good facilities. 3Dhit being a big plus, a great forum for critique. Go and join, although id say that I prefer polycount critique, its always nice to get feedback from as many sources as possible.

@Liam, Ahaha, i dont drink/eat that much energy, not enough to kill me at least. Although ive grown quite partial to a Mocha, as fruity as that may be, its damn tasty.

@Himadri, cheers dude, thanks very much. I love the direction your piece is going in now. keep it up!

@Ichii, I read something about that too, having similar affects to people that drink heavily, the body forms a dependancy on it, resulting shakes and cold-turkey like symptoms. Im not quite that far gone, i am partial to the odd mountain dew tho. Cheers for the heads up, I cant die yet, got tooo much 3Dz to be doing. See you in May!

@Mr Bear, Sugar free, PAH. Go hard or go home. :D

Anyway, here is a pretty much finished high-poly G36C ive been working on for university. Gunna get cracking with the baking asap. Its been abit slower than usual (id have had this knocked out in a jiffy usually, but my dissertation was handed in on friday, so that kinda hindered me.)

Ive made some changes thanks to the critique that Earthquake gave me, it may not be noticable but ive retopologised a couple of peices, removed some intersections and added some welds. Hopefully its abit better now, but yeah. Onto baking!
    highpoly.jpg

Any critiques/man love very much appreciated.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Damnit scott me man-love you long time! That's fantastic! only thing Id say is that the side of the gun above and a little left of the magazine is unusually plain compared to the rest of the gun, but I don't know your ref and some texture markings could fill that in easily.

And yeah, as always, the fact that this was 'slower than usual' scares me.

And brawl plans?
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Scott, I went to the Blitz open day last week, and your name popped up on the register thing! I met a few guys off your course, seemed like nice lads.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fearian, cheers dude, ive spent alittle longer on it than I had previously planned, but im fairly happy with it. I think its gunna need alittle more work to get it all baking properly as the edges are very defined. There is actually a fair few embossed markings on that area of the gun, but im going to rely on the textures to achieve that, as modelling it in is abit OTT.

I dont unfortuantely, id have loved to get involved but ive got university until the end of May and I cant really afford the time.

@PogoP. Yeah! I actually emailed them to cancel about 3 weeks ago, (I sent a beautifully composed apology), shame though wouldve been nice to meet you/fellow polycounters in person! Yeah, a fair few fellas from my course went and they are really nice chaps. How was it?
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Ooops didn't see you posted!

It was a great day, very informative. Learnt a lot about different aspects of game design that you normally wouldn't hear about as a 3D artist. The two founders of the company were hanging about all day, they were really nice guys. We also got feedback on our work which was great.

I'm not sure who else was there, I wonder if there were other Polycounters... real life and PC are so different!! :p
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    PogoP wrote: »
    Ooops didn't see you posted!

It was a great day, very informative. Learnt a lot about different aspects of game design that you normally wouldn't hear about as a 3D artist. The two founders of the company were hanging about all day, they were really nice guys. We also got feedback on our work which was great.

I'm not sure who else was there, I wonder if there were other Polycounters... real life and PC are so different!! :p

If you saw a guy with dreadlocks that was Mr Seth!
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Liam, ahh thats awesome, I heard everyone had a good time all round, I chose not to go, but I thought id drop them an email to apologise and give my place to someone else, so hopefully someone was able to go in my absense..

Alrighty! Things have been slow for me recently, im not working on 3! YES 3! films helping out, so im rushed off my feet, nothing really polycount worthy to show for it atm (alot of fumefx stuff or just stuff that isnt really interesting enough to show. I have baked out my G36c onto a 5k mesh, but thats not fully textured yet..

I do have one thing to show you guys though, I taught a 3 hour lecture on friday morning in surface transfer/normal map baking, and general Games Art based tips, so I had to throw together a good example within about a day or so to show them the power of normal maps and the process of transfer the information from a million poly model down to a games ready model, and here is what I came out with! Ill have some more work to put up next week, and then ill be starting modelling and texturing a Sewing Machine...cool stuff!

weaponscrate.jpg
    Peace out PC!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    neat. to be quite honest i think that most of the transfer doesnt show too well, seeing that most of the detail is in the silhouette, but for demonstration purposes it gets the job done. :D
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aahah yeah I see what you mean, but the normal map is making everything smooth, adding subtle nuances (such as the text, the handles, and the plastic joints). Still I recon I couldve made a better example for the lecture, but time was a factor and ive always had a hankering to make an ammo crate!
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive been working steadily recently, wrapping things up at university and getting ready to finish. Ive began working on a 3rd film (im abit of a glutton for punishment!) so ill be getting some shots of ornate singer sewing machines online at some point this week.

Ive been putting the finishing touches on the G36C ive been working on, its been delayed a fair bit with other university stuff so ive had to do a few hours on it wherever I can get away from things. Ive already updated it alot, acting on critique, but I thought id put it up on here to see what you guys thought. So here goes:
    g36cV01.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    not too fond of the magazine color. it seems like you've got this really great looking piece and the magazine is just screaming "HEY LOOK AT ME!" also on the stock, there is some sort of texture that looks like.. fingerprint smudges? cant tell if thats what it is supposed to be or not. other than that its lookin kickass.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Oniram wrote: »
    not too fond of the magazine color. it seems like you've got this really great looking piece and the magazine is just screaming "HEY LOOK AT ME!" also on the stock, there is some sort of texture that looks like.. fingerprint smudges? cant tell if thats what it is supposed to be or not. other than that its lookin kickass.

With other words this gun would fit right into Modern warfare 2 :D

I think the textures is pretty nice, but it feels lika a very new and unused gun that's super dirty. You have no edge scratches and stuuf like that..
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely gotta agree that the magazines really draw the eye away from the gun, you're right, I should tone that down. The stock smudges are fingerprints, they are in the specular rather than being in the diffuse, the idea behind them being to give the gun the look of being handled by bloody/greasy/sweaty hands during combat. Im glad you like it otherwise, ill make the changes asap and get that up for you!

@Sltrolsson, I think you're right in the respect that I thought the same before my friend lent me his airsoft G36C (accurate in terms of being an exact replica) and the gun is actually made of a polycarbonate rather than a metal, and as such does not really pick up the damage you would typically associate with a firearm. I tried to define the materials as well as possible, and put as much detail into the specular and normal to make it look worn, with accuracy in mind. Cheers for the input though, you confirmed that from the perspective of someone who hasn't got the weapon in-front of them it looks wierd as I suspected.. I felt abit gutted when I got hold of it, because although it looks cool, its a fairly boring weapon (hence why I added my own little touches).